Non-motoring > Dehumidifier Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Dehumidifier - Bobby
Anyone got one, any good?

As we come into clothes horse clothes drying weather I am thinking that putting the clothes horse up in our utility room with a dehumidifier would be quicker than natural drying.

But comes at a cost of the machine and running cost. Would I be as well just using a tumble dryer or do they really help to dry clothes so much quicker?

I see Costco have one for £150 and their products are usually good.

Thoughts?

Wood's 10L Dehumidifier MDK11, for rooms 50m² (538 ft²)
costcomobilesipuk.page.link/NqDe
 Dehumidifier - Falkirk Bairn
Cheap to run as very low power airers

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/household-appliances/best-heated-clothes-airer-indoors-b1892835.html
 Dehumidifier - Zero
I have a dehumidifier in one room, the one with three outside walls and no cavity wall, works well pulls about 6 litres of water out a day.

However the wife swears by her heated clothes rail for drying, it works extremely well. you need the cover for it as well it makes all the difference. www.lakeland.co.uk/25372/dry-soon-3-tier-heated-airer-and-cover-bundle
 Dehumidifier - smokie
That's what both my daughters use, and both say how good they are. Buy the missus one for Xmas, I'm sure she'll be appreciative LOL
 Dehumidifier - Fursty Ferret
What about a heat pump tumble-dryer, which is basically a dehumidifier bolted into a closed loop?

Normal dehumidifier will also work and warm the room at the same time with about 400% efficiency, but will take longer to dry the clothes.
 Dehumidifier - bathtub tom
I was warned off Peltier type. They use the temperature difference across a semiconductor. One side gets hot and the other cold, as a result they're not supposed to be very efficient, but very quiet.

I've a compressor type that I got after a water pipe sprung a leak. Used to use it in the smallest bedroom with a drying rack. Can't say how efficient it was, but it used to produce copious amounts of (de-ionised?) water which SWMBO uses in the steam iron and steam mop and as result they don't clog up (I'm in a very hard water area).
 Dehumidifier - Bobby
Interesting Zero, looked at these last year but they were all out of stock. My sister in law had one that she swears by, not sure if same type but similar idea.

I am just trying to understand the moisture side of things. If you put a cover on and heat everything that’s a load of moisture that is going to be escaping into the environment as soon as you take the cover off surely?

I know it’s probably the same as over time the clothes drying on a clothes horse but I have visions of plumes of steam pouring out it when cover is taken off?
 Dehumidifier - Fullchat
You put the cover in the tumble dryer :)
 Dehumidifier - Robbie34
I have recently bought a Meaco Dry Arete One. It's a best buy in Which and performs brilliantly. Indeed, I was amazed at how effective it is.

I needed a new tumble dryer to put in the garage, but the condenser and heat pump models cannot be situated in an unheated building; I wanted to put it in the garage.

An article in Which recommended a dehumidifier for drying clothes, and after reading this I went for a Meaco from John Lewis. Yesterday I washed half a dozen towels, including a bath sheet, and I put these on a heated clothes airer in the lounge with the Meaco close by. I had no heating on and the towels were dry in a few hours. Without the Meaco, clothes took over a day to be fully dry. I was amazed at the amount of water it extracted when I had to empty it.

The Meaco is £259 from Meaco and a few other sellers. It's £329 on Amazon Marketplace.
 Dehumidifier - Zero

>> I know it’s probably the same as over time the clothes drying on a clothes
>> horse but I have visions of plumes of steam pouring out it when cover is
>> taken off?

Its a very gentle even heat, No steam and no, Humidity does not appreciably rise. (I have humidity gauges in various places in the house)
 Dehumidifier - Ted
We have used the same one as Z for some years, it's very good and is in the spare bedroomj, out of the way. SWM lost the cover some time ago where?? I had to buy her another...it was over £40. Sadly, I just missed her birthday, but Christmas is coming and she's hinted that her potato masher is broken !

I have a small dehumidifier in the model railway room. It sits on the workbench and is always on. It pulls a pint out every couple of weeks and has nice pretty changing coloured lights and water level sensed cut out.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts