Non-motoring > Be Careful Where You Go :-) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 21

Be Careful Where You Go :-) - Bromptonaut
It seems that Dacorum Council will fine you for taking a leak in a layby.....

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/29/english-council-littering-fines-peeing-in-countryside-dacorum-hertfordshire
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - Kevin
Council 'enforcers' waiting in laybys for men to get their dicks out?

There must be a law against that!
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - Manatee
I have just done my postal vote for a Dacorum ward councillor. Perhaps I should have asked for the candidates positions on public fiddling.
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - bathtub tom
Local radio consumer affairs programme has taken this up and involved Nick Freeman (Mr loophole). He's convinced urination's not littering. Looks interesting.
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - VxFan
>> He's convinced urination's not littering. Looks interesting.

Not so much a grey area, more of a yellow one.
>> Local radio consumer affairs programme has taken this up and involved Nick Freeman (Mr loophole).
>> He's convinced urination's not littering. Looks interesting.

FFS I used a French word, as in Clochmerle, and got sweariness stars for the whole paragraph.

What I was on about was a street near my old office much used for people - presumably all men - to take a leak after kicking out time. It smelled well rank after a dry spell in a warm summer.

The Council, in their defence, mention residents' complaints. I think I can see the merit in that if people just wee on the pavement in the layby. I've certainly stopped in laybys on, say, the A14 that stink of urine.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 30 Jan 24 at 13:00
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - VxFan
>> I've certainly stopped in laybys on, say, the A14 that stink of urine.

Ah, the distinct smell of truckers Lucozade.
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - R.P.
public fiddling.

Surely public piddling !
>> public fiddling.
>>
>>
>> Surely public piddling !

Auto(un)correct. Actually I think I typed widdling.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 30 Jan 24 at 21:58
TBH, I think it's wonderful that they got so far down their to-do list and accumulated so much surplus cash that they can now concentrate on these things.

One thing does bother me though. What is the job title of these 'enforcers'? If they're sat in a bar chatting to someone attractive and they ask "What do you do for a living?" What do they say?
Environment Protection Executive.
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - CGNorwich
Worse problems in local lay-by.

www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/23203289.doggers-deterred-increased-patrols-a1151-lay-by/
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - Boxsterboy
Following Dacorum's argument, surely that would mean:

1. That leaves falling from a tree growing on private property but landing on public pavement/road;
2. Leaves blown by gardeners from a private property onto the road?

Is also littering?
Section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 defines the offence of littering as the throwing down, dropping or depositing of litter on any land, including land covered by water, and leaving it.

So since leaves are not thrown down,dropped or depostited on land in your examples they could not be classed as littering.

Litter is not specifically defined in law, but guidance from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (2006) states: ‘Litter is best defined as something which is improperly discarded by members of the public in an area. It includes sweet wrappers, drinks containers, cigarette ends, gum, apple cores, fast food packaging, till receipts, small bags … ’

It goes onto say: ‘Litter is something, more often than not, synthetic, which is improperly discarded by the public whilst sitting, walking, or travelling through an area.’

Personally I would think that the courts would not uphold the Councils view that urination is litter, If it were every dog owner would be liable for a fine every time their pet cocks its leg up a lamp post
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - Zero
My lady dogs do not cock, they squat
>> My lady dogs do not cock, they squat

So does my son's lady Spaniel....

On my lawn.
Yes, and girl dog wee is laden with hormones that burn your grass
It not hormones but nitrogen that kills the grass. Dog’s urine contains urea which in low concentrations is a fertiliser but in high concentrations kills grass. That’s why if you look at the dead patches on your lawn as time passes and the urine becomes more dilute you will see that the lawn begins to regrow and is more intensely green than before.
No it stays dead, but has a bright green ring round it of supergrass
 Be Careful Where You Go :-) - Mapmaker

>> 2. Leaves blown by gardeners from a private property onto the road?
>> Is also littering?

Absolutely. It is fly tipping. And you can quite rightly be prosecuted for dumping your garden rubbish on a public road.

>>
>> >> 2. Leaves blown by gardeners from a private property onto the road?
>> >> Is also littering?
>>
>> Absolutely. It is fly tipping. And you can quite rightly be prosecuted for dumping your
>> garden rubbish on a public road.
>>

Leaf fall is regarded as a natural event and you cannot be held responsible for where they fall. Whilst they are on the tree leaves belong to the owner of the tree. When they fall they belong to whoever’s land they fall on.
>Worse problems in local lay-by.

Can't you complain to Advertising Standards?
Latest Forum Posts