Non-motoring > Mains electrical quirk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 15

Mains electrical quirk - bathtub tom
I was moving a socket in the garage of this place I've bought, it's on a spur. There's separate isolating switches for the power and lights, so I used a neon to check it was live and again to check it was dead after switching the isolator. When I cut the cable, it tripped the the RCD in the house!
Anyone explain why please?
 Mains electrical quirk - tyrednemotional
...if you've isolated only the live feed (via a single-pole switch), subsequently shorting across earth and neutral (which it sounds like you might have in cutting) is likely to trip any RCD in the circuit.
 Mains electrical quirk - Runfer D'Hills
No, it’ll be the pixies.
;-)
...yeah. It's obviously what he ↑ said.

(I've been on the magic mushrooms! 8-( )
 Mains electrical quirk - Runfer D'Hills
I prefer whisky myself, but each to their own etc.
;-)
...that would explain the pixies..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNoIUqfaqA
>> ...if you've isolated only the live feed (via a single-pole switch), subsequently shorting across earth
>> and neutral (which it sounds like you might have in cutting) is likely to trip
>> any RCD in the circuit.

That's a relief, I thought it could be shonky electrics.
...or pixies...?
 Mains electrical quirk - sherlock47
Measure the voltage N-E. You may find a surprising voltage that will be dependent on load on both your premises and possible other premises connected . Dependent on the configuration of your supply. Suggest that you get it checked fully as you may have other problems with earthing and earth bonding.

Certainly do not rely on neon screwdrivers!
 Mains electrical quirk - Fursty Ferret
www.toolstation.com/tis-voltage-tester/p11032

Less than £20.

As sherlock said there should be no N-E voltage under normal circumstances. Having said that there is obviously some bonding given that the RCD tripped so it might just be capacitative coupling but probably worth investigating.

Solar inverters can induce significant N-E voltages. Mine measured at about 120V N-E when first installed and ended up needing an extra bond that was only made under specific conditions to avoid tripping other RCDs.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Mon 18 Mar 24 at 08:47
When I replaced a porch light, I found it connected across switched live and earth! I guess there could be other anomalies.
 Mains electrical quirk - Manatee
Have you got one of those plug in outlet testers? Is the "polarity" correct?

It will work perfectly well if the live and neutral are reversed but a single pole isolator switch could leave full mains voltage on the "neutral" even if switched off. It would also mean parts of your appliance could be live even if the plug fuse blew.

www.amazon.co.uk/QUILLE-Socket-Display-Neutral-Testing/dp/B07GNPKHQ9/ref=asc_df_B07GNPKHQ9
 Mains electrical quirk - Bromptonaut
>> Have you got one of those plug in outlet testers? Is the "polarity" correct?

Keep one in the caravan as French electrics can be odd re L/N
 Mains electrical quirk - Zero
Yeah got one in the caravan tool kit, even UK service posts can be suspect.
>>Have you got one of those plug in outlet testers? Is the "polarity" correct?

The red tested live with the neon and the black didn't.
Latest Forum Posts