Non-motoring > All dogs to be insured Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 40

All dogs to be insured - Falkirk Bairn
All dogs are to be chipped and insured - I agree...............

on condition

1) Efforts are made to ensure 99%+ of cars on the road are taxed and insured
2) Fines for non-insurance of cars are pro-rata with average insurance costs.

All dogs to be insured - Dog
They'll chip bubbies one day I'll wager!

Dog.
 All dogs to be insured - madf
If , however, you are a lawless idiot high on crack, you are exempt.
 All dogs to be insured - Dave_
>> If , however, you are a lawless idiot high on crack, you are exempt

From responsible dog ownership, car ownership or parenthood? ;-)
 All dogs to be insured - Zero
I am a scroat. I cant be rsed to insure my car, you think I am gonna do it for my dog?
Do i need a license to nick things now as well? or deal drugs? or handle stolen goods?

Anyway, what you gonna do, set up ANPR for dogs as I walk along the street? Hows it going to be checked or enforced?

If it cant be done with cameras, the gov cant be rsed to enforce it.

Its pathetic soundbites.
 All dogs to be insured - Mapmaker
Well, dogs used to have to be licensed and to display the licence on their collar. If you were to bring that back, and make the insurance included with the licence, collection and administration would be easy.

And best of all, a further 10,000 civil servants would be required...
 All dogs to be insured - Boxsterboy
But surely this is nothing new? All cars, dogs or otherwise, have to be insured.
Only a rover or a boxer
 All dogs to be insured - Haywain
Ha, ha, ha, I'm looking forward to hearing stories about plod visiting the local 'do as you likey's' camp to try and enforce this one. They can check their vehicle insurance/tax while they're about it!
As it is illegal to breed dogs to fight, and fighting dogs are banned.. and there are on average a minimum of 3 dogs per day injured through fighting at one inner city vet..

the chances of another law of dogs being effectively enforced is : NIL.

Any moron can pass laws. Enforcing them is different.
 All dogs to be insured - Armel Coussine
I can't help suspecting that even respectable dog owners don't really want ferocious enforcement of dog control laws, for much the same sort of reasons that proper red-blooded motorists chafe at repressive, one-size-fits-all enforcement of speed and traffic regulations.... we want the bad drivers sanctioned, not the good ones...

But perhaps I am wrong here. What do our doggy brethren think?
Its simple really - as a doggy person.

All plod need to do is prosecute the owner/keeper of any dog that causes a problem as tho it was a weapon

Ie your dog hurts someone, you prosecute them for ABH/GBH/Assault with a deadly/pos of an offensive weapon/murder/attempted murder.

Treat it like it was a knife or gun or baseball bat in use.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 9 Mar 10 at 16:22
 All dogs to be insured - Alanovich
Someone once stuck their hand through my letter box, and my dog bit it. They needed a trip to casualty and stitches.

How should I have been prosecuted?
the same as if someone stuck their hand through your letter box and you broke their fingers. It could have been the postman.
 All dogs to be insured - Mapmaker
>> the same as if someone stuck their hand through your letter box and you broke
>> their fingers. It could have been the postman.

Agree absolutely. Unless of course he was putting a letter bomb through your door. If you have a dangerous dog, you have a duty of care to the rest of us not to let it bite us when we are delivering pizza advertising leaflets. Put a mesh around the letter box, or put up a separate letterbox the dog cannot get to and seal up the one in the door.

And I thought this was a forum where common sense and good ol'fashioned 1950s values reigned. Stuck your hand in a letter box and got bitten? Har har, wot a donut.

Was no-one ever told as a four year old not to put their hands in to things when they can't see what's on the other side? Espcially if you can hear a dog barking on the other side, which might indicate the presence of a dog. With, perhaps, teeth, and dislike for mail.

I did put a mesh up after this happened as it goes. However I've now moved house and the new front door is a dreadful PVC thing and I can't find anything which I can attach to that. Any suggestions?

I do not want an external post box as this is more insecure. Another thing we're all paranoid about on here (and the other place, latterly, natch) is identity theft. Surely you're not suggesting we should have our personal financial information left in a external box which can easily be stolen?

But I suppose I will have to do something again before some other creosoted cretin thinks it's a good idea to stick their fingers through the letter box, and then decides to prosecute me for their idiocy.

The dog's a Jack Russell by the way, not a proscribed "dangerous dog", as you are suggesting, MM.

EDIT: The dog is, of course, insured.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 10 Mar 10 at 09:49
 All dogs to be insured - R.P.
my dog and my regular postie understand each other - everyone else should read the beware of the dog sign on the letter box.
>> The dog's a Jack Russell by the way not a proscribed "dangerous dog" as you
>> are suggesting MM.

Thats not a dog, its a rat.
SQ

>> Thats not a dog its a rat.
>>

OK, Z. Enough bait.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 11 Mar 10 at 10:23
 All dogs to be insured - Armel Coussine
>> Treat it like it was a knife or gun or baseball bat in use.

Seems sensible Zero.

I'm not even sure there's any sense in licensing 'dangerous breeds' of dog as I understand they are at present. There are pit bulls and pit bulls. You see these nasty ones with nasty owners - I've never known one to behave threateningly to passers-by though - but you also see quite soppy well-brushed cheerful friendly ones being led by a similar, but subtly different, sort of young man.

I once saw a staged skirmish in the street. The aggressor dog's owners were two screaming black girls, and the whole thing was over in a few seconds with everyone walking back cheerful and unflustered, including the dogs. Very weird indeed that was, in Harrow Road last year.
 All dogs to be insured - Boxsterboy
>> Very weird indeed that was in Harrow
>> Road last year.
>>

Well what do you expect when you stray from the comfortable confines of Kensington? You should see what goes on in 'arlesden, man.
I have run thousands of miles in the last 30 years.

And have been bitten by dogs which had owners who could not control them.

One rotweiller: drew blood.
One spaniel (!): left tooth marks.
One alsatian: out of control in a field full of cows.

The dogs should have been destroyed and ditto their owners in my view.

As it was, I survived them all.

Erring dog owners should be forced to clear up dog mess from the pavements with their bare hands: that would teach them...

I actually like dogs: but not idiots which own them and let them attack harmless humans...
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 9 Mar 10 at 18:48
 All dogs to be insured - Bagpuss
Many years ago when I was living in Manchester I was out on my push bike and cycled past a group of very unpleasant looking people accompanied by two equally unpleasant looking dogs. A bottle flew a couple of inches from my ear and next thing they'd set the dogs after me. The first dog caught up with me and I managed to kick it square in the lower jaw, the second one I outran.

I'm a cat person myself. Yes, our cat is microchipped. She's also insured, on the offchance that she does away with a neighbour's prize koi carp or something.
Why the exclamation mark after spaniels ? - They can have a "nasty" streak - the current working cocker I have can be a brute when he wants - he is insured and chipped !
 All dogs to be insured - Runfer D'Hills
Not good when you run over a "doings" at speed on a mountain bike in the forest. If you have your wits about you it's possible to pop a wheelie at the last moment so only the back tyre goes through it but that can really naff off the guy behind you...........
 All dogs to be insured - L'escargot
>> he
>> is ......... chipped !

Does that make him run faster?
;-)
I was thinking that about my wheelie bin this morning.
 All dogs to be insured - L'escargot
>> I was thinking that about my wheelie bin this morning.
>>

Do they go faster when they've been chipped?
;-)
 All dogs to be insured - Dog
An alternative way of looking at the OP, is that there are approx. 8 million dogs in the UK (a lot of turds!) and if dog owners had to take out a mutt specific insurance policy, it would be a nice little earner (via premium tax) for gord.gov who need to recoup the £billions wasted on The Bush Wars + The Bankers £billions & bonuses.
 All dogs to be insured - Falkirk Bairn
It is costing us £1.6m to monitor and pay for 630 MPs expenses - how much will 8 million dogs cost if the same people are in charge?
Freak incident this morning - the cocker got his lead jammed between the stones of a wall - he was immediately visited by a little terrier. The stuck hound's eyes were wide with panic - classic snapping scenario - but helped by the terrier's owner we managed to unjam the lead - in fairness despite "provocation" my dog didn't re-act to the owner or other dog.......that's a scenario where insurance comes in handy. You could hardly forsee that !
 All dogs to be insured - Badwolf
The article I read did say at the end of it that there were no plans at present to make the insurance compulsory.

I have to say that, if they do, then I will not be at all happy. We have a pooch who is well trained and excellent with strangers be they human or canine. Not too keen on cats, though. However, I would strongly resent having to pay to insure against him attacking somebody whilst being certain in the knowledge that the very people that this legislation would be aimed at would not pay.
www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/jeremy_clarkson/article7052392.ece
 All dogs to be insured - Badwolf
I know that Mr Clarkson isn't to everybody's taste but I think that he's one of this country's most sensible and 'on-the-button' columnists. I can read one of his books and think 'yup, agree with that' to almost everything he says.
I've half forgiven him for being a silly fool on Top Gear - he used to be a respected and serious motoring jounro once. But he's right on the button in that article. World's gone mad.
My house dog is insured. Vets bills are ruinous and 3rd party cover is included. Probably most "sensible" owners are the same. The scroats with trophy dogs of course dont pay vets bills.

Tho the two sporting dogs are not insured, you cant get insurance for the sport they do.
Boxers ?
Coat, Hat, door over there, Bye
 All dogs to be insured - Bellboy
tickertape.....................Government rules out all-dog insurance plan-----------------------------------

The Tories said the change represented a "humiliating U-turn" for Labour.
 All dogs to be insured - Stuartli
Made a dog's dinner of it....

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/mar/16/dangerous-dog-laws-u-turn
 All dogs to be insured - movilogo
I didn't know all dogs are not already insured!

Latest Forum Posts