Non-motoring > Why we won't be making a Car4play iPhone app Miscellaneous
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 7

Why we won't be making a Car4play iPhone app - car4play
www.macrumors.com/2010/03/08/apple-cracking-down-on-cookie-cutter-app-store-applications/

I always thought the way forward was web apps optimised for the phone. With the GPS enhancements to web apps there really seems little point in offering an app which simply needs to access the web for its data.
 Why we won't be making a Car4play iPhone app - Dave_
>> there really seems little point in offering an app which simply needs to access the web for its data

I wondered how long it would be before this point was made. I've got a Sony Ericsson W595 and it has "apps" on it for Facebook and YouTube among others, but I can't see the difference between using the the apps and just going on the web as normal. These apps seem like little more than glorified bookmarks to me.

C4P seems to work much better than the old HJ site did on my phone, possibly due to the lack of pictures on here. :-)
 Why we won't be making a Car4play iPhone app - RattleandSmoke
I thought we are doing away with apps all together and everything comes in via your web browser anyway.

It is all about the web now and it has been that way for the past ten years, it is just technology and speed is getting much better.
>>These apps seem like little more than glorified bookmarks to me.

I suppose they can add to the feeling though that one isn't left out or at least has a presence on the "App store". Now that there are over 100K apps and people realise that 99% of them are rubbish, I think Apple is doing the right thing to say "enough is enough". They are rather caught between a rock and a hard place on this one. Some people want a more liberal approach to apps with a more "anything goes" freedom of expression kind of thing vs the "draconian, or controlling" Apple approval process.

An example of where there are too many apps IMHO is radio station apps. You get dedicated apps for just about every station there is out there, or you can pay your couple of quid and just get a radio tuner app that does the lot. I use TuneIn Radio which is excellent.

I must say that the iPhone Facebook app though is really good, only because it is quicker than navigating the site even though they have made that iPhone aware.
At some point I guess we will have to make Car4play iphone savvy.
 Why we won't be making a Car4play iPhone app - RattleandSmoke
Could that simply not be done with a bit of PHP and CSS? Maybe just by tidying up navigation or something. To be honest this site is already very quick and easy to use on my Nokia N85 so I don't think it is a problem.

Why we won't be making a Car4play iPhone app - Zero
99% of them are not rubbish. 99% of them are not required or usefull. An app for the sake of an app.

One of my friends said "How many apps have you go on your phone, I have 40.

I said I have 8, two pages and I can find all of them. You cant find yours.
>> 99% of them are not rubbish. 99% of them are not required or usefull. An
>> app for the sake of an app.

I stand corrected; you are more accurate here.
 Why we won't be making a Car4play iPhone app - VxFan
>> One of my friends said "How many apps have you go on your phone I have 40.

That goes on here. People huddled in corners talking about their apps, etc. I compare it to a modern day version of when you swapped Top Trump cards.
Latest Forum Posts