Non-motoring > How's the site doing? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 29

How's the site doing? - Focusless
Just curious really - is this site living up to whatever hopes and expectations its creators had? Is the advertising revenue sufficient to keep it afloat?
 How's the site doing? - car4play
Thanks for asking. It's early days...

We set the bench really low at the start. We said we would open the champagne if even one person registered. Maybe that was a bit too low; with the rate we have had here we would now be completely drunk!
It would be really nice if more new people joined this site. We had a trickle to begin with but this has slowed down now that the old core of people seem to be already here. So good on you who have emailed "rabbits friends and relations" inviting them over.

In terms of revenue, we only added Google ads because we thought we might as well get something. Suprisingly this has done much better than we thought, but to be honest, we are not really looking at this site as a main source of income. We already have our hosting capability, our clients within iPages.biz and all that is needed here is programming time to progress this site, which we will be able to devote more of this in a few months time. The forum isn't the direction we thought of taking this place, but seemed the best thing to do at the time because the code was available, you were all crying out for one, and not a lot of changes were needed to get it going.

In short, this site has far exceeded our expectations and we don't need to make a lot of money to keep it running. However, we really appreciate those who do their part by using Google's ad facilities shown here!

We have loads of future plans but can't share much before we are ready to roll because as I am sure you are aware we have competition in this space.
Last edited by: car4play on Thu 11 Mar 10 at 18:29
Sounds promising, good - hopefully new faces will gradually appear as word gets around the search engines.

Keep up the good work (please)!

(and thanks for the info)
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 11 Mar 10 at 14:51
 How's the site doing? - Netsur
Sometimes as a 'customer' you do want to know how a business is doing - not because you are nosey or wanting to compete, but you want to feel part of a success. I feel that here and knowing what that level of success is, is great.

>> Sometimes as a 'customer' you do want to know how a business is doing -
>> not because you are nosey or wanting to compete but you want to feel part
>> of a success.

Totally agree - and you are!
Regarding the advertising, could you include a banner link for Adtrader? I would have thought that it would get a fair bit of use.

EDIT: I meant Autotrader!
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 11 Mar 10 at 15:54
>> EDIT: I meant Autotrader!

Good idea. Adtrader got me confused for a while!
 How's the site doing? - Statistical Outlier
Really good to hear that you're doing okay out of this, it's really nice to have the facility back again.

Given you're only using Google ads, I've whitelisted the site in Adblock Plus, and I'd encourage others to do the same as the ads are not intrusive and support the site.

Instructions on how to do the same are here:

www.devcha.com/2007/08/how-to-disable-adblock-plus-or.html
Quick update - today we have just had the most unique daily visitors ever! Can't release the number I'm afraid, but I thought you might like to know that it is at least good news.

(I'm sure Statistical Outliner would want to know at the very least!)
 How's the site doing? - BobbyG
I think that the non-motoring menu has made a big difference. Rather than just having a IHAQ and CBQ, we now have the option of staring a conversation / discussion about anything really, snapshots of life, where would you like to be just now etc.

Makes it much less formal, more relaxed and a true chilled out zone.
 How's the site doing? - MD
It is brilliant so far and may I say, a tad more relaxed than the other side. Despite the relaxed angle I feel that myself and other 'long termers' will respect the 'polite' policy which we adhered to from the old Backroom. I have great expectations for this venture and if poss' it would be great to know a little more.

Best wishes...............MD
 How's the site doing? - BiggerBadderDave
Yeah, what Martin said

Very relaxed and self-modding. I really like it.

Now back to motoring (shudder)
>> I think that the non-motoring menu has made a big difference.

It's good to know that one of the early risk decisions made with VxFan has paid off. It was his idea given the trouble he had experienced before as a mod where he had to deal with endless posts in one thread. Here he got the say so.

Like all good ideas, I wonder how long it will be until it is copied...
(Just from experience I once wrote a property website which had searchable clicky maps. It went from page 26 on Google for "commercial property" to number one over the year and a half we had it. The main competitor, having been displaced from that top spot, then copied our clicky maps. It's nice to know that are setting the lead though and I guess flattering in a way.
... watch this space.)

>> Makes it much less formal more relaxed and a true chilled out zone.
Good. Nice to see it's staying that way.;-)
 How's the site doing? - Netsur
Whether it is houses or hotels, searchable clicky maps are the way to go.

Trying to organise a family holiday to California this summer and its proving a nightmare to find hotels that suit in the right location.
 How's the site doing? - Statistical Outlier
Espada, have you tried Kayak.co.uk? I've no connection to them, other than I use them all the time for work trips.

An outstandingly good interface, with hotels you get a Google map with the hotels shown along with prices for your chosen dates. The flight booking pages are also excellent.
 How's the site doing? - henry k
>>Espada, have you tried Kayak.co.uk?
I too like and use KAYAK.
Another similar site I have just been pointed to is ZUGU.co.uk.
I think clicky maps work when all you get is a map for searching.
i.e. Click on where you want to search -> list of results.

I am not convinced that Google maps are the way to go to browse for the list of results. They are ok to show where some place is after you have your results, but not before.

To see what I mean take a look at this list of garages in the London area.

.. you only know it's London because I told you so!
 How's the site doing? - Zero
>>
>>
>>
>> .. you only know it's London because I told you so!

Yes but no but.

Anything searchy or clicky is only as good as your search argument

No-one would search "garage london" would they.

I would for example search +garage +woodgreen +zonda. Your clicky map would be a lot less then.
ooooo

I know how to post images......
 How's the site doing? - R.P.
Some cunning software won't allow you to unless you have admin rights.
It won't last long because we'll want you to do it a different way.
Last edited by: car4play on Fri 12 Mar 10 at 16:20
>> No-one would search "garage london" would they.

Well it only took one click to get the pic here. I didn't get the option for adding what kind of garage.
I still don't think it is very helpful to use Google Maps as the finding mechanism. I have been frustrated no end by some house search sites that do this kind of thing. What do they expect you to do? Click on every house image just to see what it is?
Last edited by: car4play on Fri 12 Mar 10 at 16:30
.. I still thought it was amusing that London had sunk under a mass of balloons!
 How's the site doing? - R.P.
It would float off before it sank !
do they all have B&Q logos on?
 How's the site doing? - crocks
It's gone very dark here this afternoon.
I didn't realise it was all those balloons overhead.
 How's the site doing? - tyro
"Whether it is houses or hotels, searchable clicky maps are the way to go."

Or shops or restaurants. When a chain of hotels, restaurants*, or shops has clicky maps to enable people to find a branch, it makes life a lot easier.

*In my case, that would be McDonalds, I'm afraid!
 How's the site doing? - swiss tony
>> >> Makes it much less formal more relaxed and a true chilled out zone.
>> Good. Nice to see it's staying that way.;-)
>>
I think (hope) it will continue....
IMO the more things are strictly policed, the more people feel threatened, the more likely they will get on the defensive, or even attack.....
 How's the site doing? - Dog
>>> IMO the more things are strictly policed, the more people feel threatened, the more likely they will get on the defensive, or even attack..... <<<

So you've done a 'tour' in Helmand then.
 How's the site doing? - tyro
IMO the more things are strictly policed, the more people feel threatened, the more likely they will get on the defensive, or even attack.....

In my experience of internet fora, when rules are clear, precise, and enforced, good manners prevail and people are rarely banned.

Where rules are vague, manners are variable, moderation tends to be at moderatorial whim, and people often seem to be banned without being sure why they have been banned.
Latest Forum Posts