Non-motoring > Anybody got a Breadmaker ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 159

Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - R.P.
Sort of toying with the idea. Panasonic seems to be the make of choice. Any experiences ? Anyone got a low mileage one for sale ?
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Runfer D'Hills
What's on your Christmas list PU? New pinny and marigolds perhaps?..

:-)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Harleyman
We were given one by a neighbour. Wifey's used it once; result was OK when fresh and warm (what bread isn't?) but after a day in the breadbin was only fit for the birds.

However, both wifey and I are unreconstructed white sliced eaters so perhaps not a fair appraisal.

My ex-girlfriend's father used one regularly, results were quite passable.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Perky Penguin
Whether you buy one or not the only make to consider is Panasonic. Any other make will make bricks or paving blocks and finish up in the cupboard under the stairs with your sandwich toaster and the foot spa!
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - sherlock47
Panasonic is the only one to buy. Be prepared for some interesting failures. If you start making speciality bread (using the likes of sundried tomatoes etc) and premium flour it becomes cheaper to drive to the supermarket.

Good to have to hand for when you forget to buy the bread however.
We've got a Spar shop. Open all hours.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - DP
We have a Kenwood which makes beautiful crusty loaves of up to a kilo, and does a very nice job on pizza dough too.
Cost about £50 IIRC.
Using, and enjoying the output of, a breadmaker quickly makes you realise how much preservative and other crap goes into a typical sliced loaf. The shop bought stuff will keep for days, but the stuff out of your breadmaker is really past its best after 18-24 hours.
Last edited by: DP on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 18:10
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Old Navy
Mrs ON runs a Panasonic, we have not bought bread for years, (it tastes like polysyrene). We find a blend of one part white flour, one wholemeal, and two granary makes a pleasant loaf and they keep well in the freezer. I have taken advice on the blend! :-)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> We've got a Spar shop. Open all hours.
>>
Friday routine:
(I'm at work Mon-thursday, early)
Leave home at 7:15, take kids to school, on the way back stop at local Spar ~8am when the loaves are coming out of the oven.
Grab papers, loaf, off home, and fight with her indoors over who will have the crust!

Later in the day, when loaf has cooled, slice off a few, butter, jam etc.
Simple pleasures.

Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - smokie
"cheaper to drive to the supermarket"

I think that's the key - we have one which got used a lot early days as it did produce nice bread - but the cost and time involved meant it's now gathering dust, now the novelty has worn off...
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Manatee
Bread is no longer 29p at Tesco. You should be able to make breadmaker bread for no more than the cost of decent shop bought stuff (if you can find that).

Panasonic yes. Ours has a timer so you can delay the start so it's ready when you get up/come home - I think they all do.

An advantage is you can make what you want, not what somebody thinks you should have.

It's true most recipes don't last though. But then neither does French bread - that's why they buy it at least once a day.

The only thing I don't like about it is the 'ole in the bottom of the loaf.

PS - we usually have a similar blend to ON.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 18:35
Sums up my thoughts on it really (studiously ignoring Humph's teasing)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Zero
Pah!

Nothing makes better toast than thick sliced white bread. Bacon sarnies can only be made with sliced white bread from a packet.

If I want nice bread I will buy a fresh french loaf daily.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 18:43
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - CGNorwich
Save your money, you don't need a breadmaker to make bread. Easy enough to make but as with everything worth while you get better with practice.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Dog
My bread is only suitable for health freaks, so it wouldn't go down a binch on ere.

Panasonic - had it 6 years now, people said "that'll be a 5 minute wonder"

We have'nt bought any bread in that 6 years.

Panasonic cost more bread than other makes - use your loaf.

Doh!
>> Pah!
>>
>> Nothing makes better toast than thick sliced white bread. Bacon sarnies can only be made
>> with sliced white bread from a packet.
>>

Ye gods and little fishes! I actually agree with Zero! ;-)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> >> Pah!
>> >>
>> >> Nothing makes better toast than thick sliced white bread. Bacon sarnies can only be
>> made
>> >> with sliced white bread from a packet.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> Ye gods and little fishes! I actually agree with Zero! ;-)
>>

Heathens.
Big loaf, from yesterday, thick slices, lightly singed, oozing with butter, and slap the greasy pig on there. With a dab of tomato sauce.
You can feel the arteries harden as you eat it, but WTF... life is too short!
I knew there was a reason I was born, raised and pointed in the direction of this site...

Agree on the white bread thing - sadly consigned to eat granary...

>> Agree on the white bread thing - sadly consigned to eat granary...
>>

Dunno why they call it granary. Never found dead rats, old sacks or bird droppings in it; well that's all that seems to be in the granaries on farms I go to ! ;-)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - RichardW
To buck the trend we've got a Morphy Richards Quickbake which performs pretty well - it's on now (the second of today, as the first was consigned to the bin 'cos I forgot to add the yeast!). Perseverance is required as the receipes say "follow me exactly" - but they don't work! And if the quantities are so critical why does the larger loaf have completely differnt ratios - and how can any loaf of bread need 5 TABLE spoons of sugar???? Here's my tried and tested receipe:

3 tablespoons milk powder
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons salt (flaked sea salt* - I guess less would be required if using granular salt)
slug of oil (OK, I don't measure this!)
300ml of water, heated for 30s in the microwave
260g each of Hovis Granary flour, and Allison seed and grain flour
1/2 teaspoon of yeast (don't use fast acting)
Programme 3, light crust.

Lasts 2-3 days in an airtight box.

* I only use this becuase it was all I could buy when we bought the machine about a year ago, all other sorts of salt having been cleaned out of the supermarket for de-icing purposes!
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Leif
Someone I used to work with loved the machines. I make my own pizza dough. It's therapeutic, and I start with a mixer then finish kneeding by hand. Then again I don't like shop bought pizza: crap base, crap tomato sauce, too much crap cheese.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - teabelly
Friends have a panasonic. It makes pretty good bread. I make my own but without a machine. It doesn't take that much more effort. Only have to remember to leave it somewhere to rise for a few hours or you can leave it in the fridge over night to bake the next day. The ready mix bread mixes are quite good if you can't be bothered with all the weighing out. I'd also use part brown and part wholemeal as all wholemeal is very solid.

It also freezes ok so that solves the problem of it not lasting a week.

Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - rtj70
I got one a few years ago... Probably seven years in fact. For the first few months I made lots of bread and then stopped. I liked it but ther others preferred white thick sliced. Twelve months ago it went too the charity shop when we decluttered. I think it was a Panasonic and worked well.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 21:05
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Dulwich Estate
About a year ago we acquired a Panasonic SD254W Breadmaker after a fair bit of research. I don't think we've bought a loaf since. The cost works out at roughly £1 a loaf but that depends on the precise mix, so don't get one to save money. SWMBO objects to unknown ingredients in shop bought stuff and loves the idea of knowing what's in her bread.

There's a more expensive one with a timer and dispenser for bits of nut, fruit or whatever if you fancy special breads. Ours is the basic model as we had heard that throwing it all in at the beginning made no or little difference to the finished loaf.

We're moving on to home made pasta next.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - rtj70
One reason I stopped making it is I didn't make it often enough so the yeast was no good (and probably some other ingredients). So the cost per loaf went up. and it was only me eating most of it and it went stale quickly.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - PhilW
Just had to look at ours - Russell Hobbs Breadman Pro it turns out. Had it for years, not used much but now that wife has retired I get home to fantastic fresh baked bread. Don't know what recipe, several different ones I think, brown bread, lovely.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Clk Sec
The wife has been using breadmakers for about 12 years now. She started with a Morphy Richards, which was OK, but is now using a Kenwood, which produces excellent bread and pizza dough every time.

For those who say that thick white sliced bread produces the best toast - the most salty, certainly - should buy themselves a breadmaker and try a slice of Real toast; either white or wholemeal.

Not particularly good for sandwich making, though.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - gramar
We too have a Panasonic. They produce excellent loaves and we wouldn't be without ours. The only tips, gained through experience I can suggest are:

1. Always buy a box of yeast with individual sachets - a large box once opened will result in disappointing loaves by the time you reach the bottom of it. It seems to go 'off' and the loaves don't rise well.

2. When weighing out your flour, fold it over gently for a minute or so using a large spoon. We find it helps the loaf rise to the top of the tin even though it's only enough mix for a medium size loaf.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Bagpuss
We have a Breadmaker, from a company called Unold. It cost around 60 Euros and bakes fantastic bread. We either buy ready mixed bread recipes from the supermarket or make our own (I like sour dough with sunflower seeds) and set the machine up on the timer in the evening so the bread is ready to eat for breakfast in the morning.

The thing you have to be careful of when using the timer is adding the ingredients. First the water, then the flour, then the seeds and stuff and last the yeast. If the yeast comes into contact with the water the dough making process starts and the bread will be flat by the morning.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Robbie34
I have a Panasonic at home, and although very good, it doesn't make bread any better than the LIdl breadmaker that I bought in France for my holiday home. I bought the Panasonic because everyone said that the Panasonic was so much better than anything else.

The LIdl does everything that the Panasonic does except add raisins automatically, and costs over sixty pounds less.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Woodster
Breadmakers indeed! Whatever next? We're (well when I start with 'we're', I mean 'She' !) is making our own in the olde-worlde way, and very nice it is too. Mr Fearnly-Whittingwhatsits book is rather good. You could buy that, acquire a load of other decent recipes and save a wodge. I have to confess I think there's a breadmaker inone of the cupboards...
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Skip
We have had a Panasonic SD255 for about 3 years now and it did produce a perfect loaf every time. Sadly however after the first few months it got used less and less, and a couple of months ago it went to live in the cupboard under the stairs !
Here is my advice.

Take one dog, and one lead.

clip lead to dog

Walk to local Co-Op, clip dogs lead to downpipe outside.

Enter Co-Op

Buy bread, for less than breadmaker ingredients.

Recover dog

walk home

At the end of this you find you have great bacon sarnie bread, good sandwich bread, good toast bread and great dipping in gravy bread.

And you have taken some exercise.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - hawkeye
Mrs H has hand-made our bread for years but couldn't knead after a wrist injury. Instead of teaching me, she bought me a £29.99 Synergy machine from the local Wlico. The boys prefer the machine bread to Mrs H's because I refuse to put nuts, seeds or other stuff in it and the result is a better size for fillings. I use Allinson flour, butter rather than oil, water rather than milk and only tiny amounts of salt and sugar. Lasts 2 days in the bread bin if it hasn't been eaten first.

Makes a cracking bacon sarnie and hangs together well in the boys' lunchboxes.

I wouldn't buy another cheap bread maker because the stirrer bearing on this one occasionally feels gritty and I doubt it'll last. When it naffs out I'll consider a premium brand.
Panasonic bread-maker delivered by Father Christmas - commissioned into service today - Granary loaf in the "oven" takes minutes to prepare. Time will tell...
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Skoda
They're really good, a bit too good sometimes... What do you fancy for lunch? Oh I dunno, have we got any of that bread left? :-)

The secret seems to be in getting it to rise as much as possible, otherwise it comes out too rich.

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you put the flour in first then make 2 indents with your fingers, one for liquids, your oil etc and one for yeast, salt etc. Keeping the liquids and powders separate for the initial warmup is a tip I'm sure, it sticks in my mind.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - MD
A colleague has a Panasonic and he lurves it.
>> I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you put the flour in first
>> then make 2 indents with your fingers, one for liquids, your oil etc and one
>> for yeast, salt etc. Keeping the liquids and powders separate for the initial warmup is
>> a tip I'm sure, it sticks in my mind.

Never made any indents. The main thing is to separate the salt and the yeast before they are mixed, e.g yeast in first, then all the other stuff, salt last. If the yeast starts off mixed with salt it will lose its virtue before it gets going.

'Rapid' recipes basically just have more yeast in. So if your loaves don't rise enough, just chuck a bit more yeast in. Make sure to use strong flour (bread flour).

70% wholemeal is what we make most of.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 10:49
More rubbish to stuff in the back of a cupboard. Amazing the stuff you find in there when you try and make room for more. It can jostle for room with the waffle maker and the 4 different kinds of coffee machine.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 10:52
About once every 5 years I remember the sandwich toaster and decide I might as well chuck it.

Trouble is, when I've unburied it, I give it a wipe over, make a cheese and onion toastie, and decide I might as well keep it as I've now used it.

We do have about 3 redundant coffee makers though. The caffertiairy doesn't make the best coffee but wins on convenience.
Our Panasonic bread maker and a stick shaped whizzy mixer thingy are the only bits of kitchen kit with plugs that have passed our usefulness test.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 11:08
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Skoda
>> Our Panasonic bread maker and a stick shaped whizzy mixer thingy are the only bits
>> of kitchen kit with plugs that have passed our usefulness test.
>>

Do pensioners really only eat whizzed soup and bread? I always thought that was just a joke :-p

>> Do pensioners really only eat whizzed soup and bread? I always thought that was just
>> a joke :-p

they have to whiz the bread up too, makes it gumable.
:-P
C'mon then, who admits to owning a fondue set and when was the last time you used it?

:-)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - henry k
>> C'mon then, who admits to owning a fondue set and when was the last time you used it?
>>
>> :-)
>>
Oh dear. I was expecting that question!
I cannot tell a lie.
I think it is stored in the cupboard behind where the Christmas decorations hibernate.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Iffy
Whenever fondue set is mentioned, the class snobbery play Abigail's Party springs to my mind:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail%27s_Party

I'm not sure if fondue set is mentioned.

Didn't Bob and Thelma have one in The Likely Lads?

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 12:11
err 2

About 1983 I think.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Robin O'Reliant
Anybody still use a pressure cooker? All the rage in the eighties and virtually unheard of now.

I'm with The Grumpy Old Man on this one, when men start enthusing over domestic gadgets you can bet they are just a short lived fad.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Alanovich
I have a Morphy Richards breadmaker which I use to make all the family bread. Recently discovered a fabulous bread flour in Lidl - a wholemeal/rye mix with some sour dough in it. Makes the most delicious loaf ever. Even my mother (master baker and chef) commented on its excellence over Christmas. Everyone who has tried it has asked where I get it from.
We had a pressure cooker - and horrible it was too - boiled my sprouts to within an inch of their life. The only good thing was that as a curry/scouse maker it was second to none and I deeply regret giving it my nephew when I had a clear out in 2009, I have to admit to eyeing one up in the sales the other day....in fact may have a look on fleabay.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 10:29
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Pat
If you all keep making bread, you'll be suffering from high cholesterol next.

It has to have lashings of Lurpak on it.

Pat
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Alanovich
I use a 100% dairy free sunflower spread called "Pure". It's lovely. I also use soya milk (which is excellent for porridge). My cholesterol levels are well below any danger levels.
That was part (only part though) of my thinking, slightly high cholesterol and it was suggested I went for Granary Bread - bloomin lovely, just popped a loaf this morning. Off to Lidl at some stage - we were talking over some suggestions from friends and their flour featured as being particularly good....two day old self baked bread is still ok, just had a couple of slices as toast this morning. Nice.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Focusless
Just as a matter of interest - has anyone worked out how much a DIY loaf costs them (including leccy)?

Asked SWMBO for a breadmaker as a Christmas present a few years ago, used it a few times, but not recently. Reading this thread has made me want to give it another go.
We were sort of looking at that today - figure somewhere aroud 75p..flour is the expense.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Focusless
>> We were sort of looking at that today - figure somewhere aroud 75p..flour is the
>> expense.

Not bad then - most mass produced sliced loaves in Asda are at least a pound, although they often have a 2 for £1.50 offer on one of the brands.
Figured in that as well - it's a reduction in on "Tesco" dependancy - plus point is it's nicer.
We don't shop in Tesco - for anything.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - FotheringtonTomas
Snap. Neither do I.
>>We don't shop in Tesco - for anything.

Not even for their delightful Fern Bay Sauvignon Blanc at a fiver a bottle?
>> >>We don't shop in Tesco - for anything.
>>
>> Not even for their delightful Fern Bay Sauvignon Blanc at a fiver a bottle?

Nope, not even for the krispy kreme donuts.

Its Waitrose or Sainsbury for us. (and krispy Kreme at New Malden)
...plus point is it's nicer...

But doesn't keep well, according to some.

Slightly stale bread is better for toast than fresh.

We baked a "large" one two ays ago, it was lovely on the first day, good yesterday and well toastable today...we baked one overnight (using the timer) for today's loaf.

"Someone" nicked the crust from the frst one though so I can't comment on that. Usefully we have an old 1980s electric knife which makes slicing it a doddle...
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 10:58
I've only had proper, freshly baked bread a few times and it slaughters the factory stuff.

To mangle a phrase: Be careful what you get a taste for. :)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - BobbyG
For probably the last year, we have used Lurpak spreadable. Like the taste of it on my bread and toast. And pancakes, crumpets, tattie scones etc etc etc

I think I will try to switch away from it this year to one of those tastless watery spread things which, may, singlehandedly dramatically cut down my bread intake.

Definite weak spot for me, I can trace it back to my supermarket days when the baker used to bring the rolls up to the staff canteen, straight from the oven, a dollop of butter on them was all that was required!
Along with the Aromagas you used to pump into the store.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - NortonES2
Lurpak here too: unsalted for me, salted for her. Never use margarines (whether labelled Pure or not) having seen hydrogenation in action. Raney nickel debris anyone?
>> Never use margarines

You can use decent-tasting cooking oil instead of butter or margarine. Give it a whirl.

That reminds me, I sined grievously last night. Fried bread in bacon fat. Mmm.
I'd forgotten the oil alternative. We sometimes have toasted ciabatta with crushed tomatoes, garlic and olive oil! Might try oil on ordinary bread, but as thats usually granary I'm not sure. Sometimes rye - now that requires nothing but the finest butter
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Roger.
Fried breads ....even better with marmalade on it!
>> Just as a matter of interest - has anyone worked out how much a DIY
>> loaf costs them (including leccy)?

Yeast 7p
Flour 25p
Water 0p (approx.)
Electricity 13p (approx.)
Salt (if used) 0p (approx.)

Total 45p (approx).
...Total 45p (approx)...

Capital cost of breadmaker amortised over, say, four years equivalent to about 250 loaves.

Must add another 35 or 40p to yer average granary. :)
I'll go 400 loaves in four years - £25 for the machine, just over sixpence (say 7p).

So, what've we got (although cost of machine wasn't in the OP)? About 52p. Getting expensive.
>> We had a pressure cooker - and horrible it was too - boiled my sprouts
>> to within an inch of their life. The only good thing was that as a
>> curry/scouse maker it was second to none

Pressure cookers are brilliant, but you have to be very careful with timing. If they cook food in (say) 1/3 of the time it would take at normal atmospheric pressure, then things like sprouts are unsuitable - from normally about four minutes if dumped into boiling water, down to one minute twenty seconds. If you made a mistake and pressure-cooked them for 3 minutes, that would be the equivalent of normally boiling them for 9 minutes! They'd be little balls of mush plopping onto your plate.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Mapmaker
Be ready for loaves that come out brick shaped. For no particular reason. I bought a breadmaker some years ago and nine of the the first ten loaves came out thus. My mother made a loaf in it, and it was fine. I then made a few more failures, and suddenly it started to work for me. No idea why. Haven't used it for years tho'...

Don't buy the packets of pre-prepared bread mix from Tescos - more expensive than the bread itself. Lidl however do a good range of speciality flours reasonably priced.
Dig it out Mapmaker - you know it makes sense.
Start experimenting - adding sun dried tomatoes, chillies, olives, cheese, onion...... anything you fancy. My favorites are SD toms and chillies - the only thing is that you have to add about 3x the qty from any recipe book! Costs start adding up then.
Substitute a tin of vegetable soup for the water, and make "Souper Bread". It is surprisingly good, and the bits of vegetable become undetectable in themselves. With white flour, the product is a nicely-flavoured slightly straw-coloured loaf.
>>Substitute a tin of vegetable soup

Better still, make your own. I've yet to try a tin of vegetable soup that doesn't taste revolting.
Might be a bit too substantial. Chunky vegetable bread. Mmm. P'raps not!
Quite right, but it doesn't have to be chunky.
Now just what sort of company am I in here?

Don't you know it's rude to mix soup and bread?
They should be eaten separately.

Pat
OK I'll keep out of the kitchen, then...
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Mapmaker
>> OK I'll keep out of the kitchen, then...
>>

Best leave it's to the site's token bird.

;)
That's what I thought...
If you'd sampled my efforts you wouldn't suggest that:)

Pat
We have thrown out two functioning bread makers as the results, even following instructions to the letter and using premium flours, were horrid.
Yes but were either of them Panasonic? Top of the range and top price but they seem to make good bread and be idiot/man proof!
They seem to be man proof.....bloomin crusts seem to disappear though !
Lovely when they're warm, with lashings of butter.
Even the Panny can make something that could be used for house building. But just not very often.

And if there are enough sd toms in it it can be pretty tasty - just watch your crowns or false teeth!
One Kenwood (expensive) one Moulinex (cheap) both pants!
Our Kenwood produces excellent bread and pizza dough. What are you doing wrong?
Respectfully - possibly not measuring the ingredients really accurately, not putting ingredients in the machine in the manner instructed, stale yeast or flour or any combination of these.
I reckon to be tolerably handy in the kitchen, but have never been able to make good bread.

This despite kneading the dough being a favourite activity when I visited my grandmother as a child.

Some people just can't get on with certain processes.

Never used a machine, though.

Go for it iffy !
...Go for it iffy !...

It's a thought, but I wouldn't have the means to consume the bread while it was good.

But just out of interest, what weight is the smallest loaf the machine will make?

A standard factory loaf is 800g.

>> just out of interest, what weight is the smallest loaf the machine will make?

It depends on the machine. You can use it to make the dough in a smaller quantity and cook it in the oven in a tin.

>> A standard factory loaf is 800g.

Multiples of 400g these days.
Can't find anything in the book iffy - will check out the next one that pops out - we're cooking the "large" one at the moment..
Thats because they're all air:) Amazing how much more dense a traditional loaf is e.g. with a few exceptions, bread in the UK is made using the Chorleywood process. Solid fat to maintain the structure, cheap wheat - feed- quality. Quick, cheap and horrid.
>>Respectfully - possibly not measuring the ingredients...

Or opening and closing an outside door while the breadmaker is doing its thing.
Used up all our Granary flour - white loaf this mornng - absolutly bloomin lovely - dig out some bacon from the back of the freezer for lunch with some brown sauce...!
Looking at my part-used factory loaf - past its best and still a third left - reminds me why I don't bake bread.

I'd have the best fed birds in the district.

Buttering tip: My grandmother used to butter the end of the loaf before slicing.

This prevented the slice of bread being pulled to pieces on the plate, and exercised some portion control over a greedy grandson.

I was trusted to spread my own jam or marmalade.

seems to me you are stuffing too much bread down your gullet.
yes and it's lovely - enough labouring to be done today to work it off....
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Auntie Lockbrakes
A timely thread this one, 'cos the missus is after a breadmaker. I've managed to steal comments and knowledge from you all and come across all knowledgeable and empathetic with her (doesn't happen often!) So thanks guys!

Sting in the tail however is that the Panasonic machine costs around 125 quid in these parts... ouch!
A final update - the oven is still in regular use - brilliant bit of kit. Mixing takes five minutes, then the timer does the rest. "Ready" is preceded by a very subtle smell of baking. We've done Granary and White bread - using Hovis flour and some of Lidl's stuff (hampered that the nearest branch means driving into Bangor)

The bread lasts up to around three days with close to zero waste (see bin and food waste threads !) down side is the ducks go hungry now !

Nice old fashioned bread - and you know what goes in.

An old Moulinex electric knife (at least 27 years old) does the business in slicing it effortlessly.

Not bought a loaf since Christmas...

There was a bit of an "aftertaste" initially, down to the newness of the oven but has largely gone now....

There was one disaster - I failed to engage the mixing arm properly, the bread came out slightly low slung but was edible...! Found the mixing arm in the loaf !
Instead of using water, yeast, flour try pouring in (part of) a tin of vegetable soup instead of water.
I may well do that when I'm alone one day :-)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - smokie
"I may well do that when I'm alone one day :-)"

He was only suggesting cooking it, not smearing it all over yourself!!
Oh - I see.....sorry...
Is this the beginnings of a Mods orgy?

Pat
>>try pouring in (part of) a tin of vegetable soup instead of water

If you must add vegetable soup, make it yourself. Don't use the revolting stuff that comes in tins.

Perish the thought.
Tinned soup is ideally suited to using in bread making machines.
I was thinking more of the taste, FT. You obviously like it, so I imagine it is better in a loaf than in a soup dish.
I like a tin of Heinz Cream of Tomato with a slice of proper factory baked bleached white bread.

>>I like a tin of Heinz Cream of Tomato

Yes, the only decent tinned soup around in my opinion. Pity to spoil it with bleached white bread, though.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 19:51
If you can find Spanish "Tomate Frito" ( tinyurl.com/6c55ll6) mix the contents with an equal quantity of milk, heat thoroughly and you have a superior tomato soup with no trouble!
We brought loads back from Spain where it can be bought in any supermarket for 40 to 60 centimos a 400 gm pack.
We shall be sorry when it's all gone!
I've no idea how you come to the conclusion that I like tinned vegetable soup. It's not something I consider to be in the least important, though.
>>try pouring in (part of) a tin of vegetable soup instead of water.
>>I've no idea how you come to the conclusion that I like tinned vegetable soup. It's not something I consider to be in the least important, though.

Now I am confused, but as you say, not in the least important.
NO I haven't got one, but after all this I feel I should. Not that we each much of the stuff, but everyone I know who has one has only praise.
Martin a man of your calibra will value the old-fashioned taste, especially of the crusts and even nicer with some butcher bought bacon, butter and HP sauce.....:-}
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 21:03
Sounds like it will have to be done then.
...some butcher bought bacon, butter and HP sauce.....:-}...

Even rubbishy bread tastes nice with that lot.

Said the man whose palette has been compromised by burgers...:-)
It's possible to appreciate both Madonna and Mozart.

Is Mozart de-composing?
...Is Mozart de-composing?...

Should think he's dust by now.
Hi Pug', what is the make and model of your breadmaker?

Regards.............MD
Panasonic SD-256 - the dogs wotsit.
Cheers.
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Bought the same model myself 5 weeks ago - well impressed with it!
Well Martin - what's the verdict ?
Ma Dame MD thought is was a brilliant idea.................but said that as we consume too little bread that we will give it a miss for now. I retired to my rooms.......tail wagging very slowly...not through 180 deg you understand just perhaps a little side to side pointing south obviously. I'll save me-self for a real argument........
I have a breadmaker.
She can sometimes be persuaded to work at it , particularly if she can find fresh yeast!
Here we go again!
Can this thread be deleted please?
It makes me feel domestically challenged, and everytime it starts to slip away someone does it again.

I'm off to work with a crowd of proper men who can't cook any better than I can:)

Pat
Panasonic walks it in the Gadget Show test. And a compliment from a real baker.
Shhhhh

Pat
I have a cake maker. Mr Kipling is an old family friend.
My Panasonic bread machine is now 6 years old, I say *my* because I'm the geezer that blimmin uses it, see.

It has been in use 3-4 times a week in those 6 years, and I don't make that stodge that you lot of dopes make either, I use 100% wholewheat flour + a few ozs of Spelt thrown in for good measure + 4 tbsp of wheatgerm,
and not a single grain of sugar,

When things become very, very dire on Planet Earth within the next 7 years, what with the San Andres fault and the La Palma fault + global warming/climate change, peak oil, + pay-back time for Iraq & Afghanistan & Palestine,
etc., etc., etc. - I'll be able to use my bread to build an inner core or refuge!
I'll just miss out on the bread and look at the next few years with my glass half full, I think:)

Pat
Wise words Pat, it's that or top yourself now.
I think dog really is from Vulcan!
- - -> I think dog really is from Vulcan! <- - -

Klaatu barada nikto!
>> Once a day.

More fibre required, Iffy.
>>More fibre required, Iffy.<<

:+) did you see my post Re: Primus phone line rental comrade C/S

?
Dog

Sorry, I must have missed that one. No problems, surely? However, I haven't forgotten the promised office chair review, and I'll email you (to avoid interlopers) when it's complete.

I know, don't call me Shirley...
Shirl ...

I've been with Primus phone line rental for about 3 months now, but wish I'd listened to your advice :(

They are soooooooo bad I'm thinking of buying my way out of the con-tract!

Re: the office chair, I bought this cheapy in the end (better than what I had!) because we'll be moving in a couple of weeks and I might abandon the 'office' in favor of a Lenovo lappy, maybe

Here's my chair, it's very comfortable AND good for my back ~ (not exact one, or seller)

cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUXURY-SWIVEL-EXECUTIVE-COMPUTER-DESK-OFFICE-CHAIR-/260760070114?pt=UK_BOI_Office_Equipment_Supplies_Office_Furniture_ET&hash=item3cb682e7e2

Mods - tinyurl busy!
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - VxFan
>> Mods - tinyurl busy!

The link came out ok for it not to need tinying.

I don't know what browser you're using but I've got tinyurl installed on my toolbar of IE8. All I have to do is to click on the word 'TinyURL' and the link is automatically reduced and the link is saved to the PCs clipboard for me to then simply paste the link where ever it needs to go - simples.
>>I don't know what browser you're using but I've got tinyurl installed on my toolbar of IE8<<

I've got it installed on Firefox, DD, along with Dictionary.com, Flickr, Property Bee etc.,
I actually use IE8 all the time but - I like to keep the browser simple (like moi) stupid really, I know ;}
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - John H
>> They are soooooooo bad I'm thinking of buying my way out of the con-tract!
>>

Can you expand on that please. I am considering switching but would like to be aware of likely problems to expect, and decide whether they are tolerable before I make the switch.

Have a read of this JH ~ forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2760972

Then this ~ www.reviewcentre.com/reviews145423.html
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - John H
>> Have a read of this JH
>>

Thanks, Dog.
Plusnet are good John, I've been with them for a couple of years now (inc. line rental) I only switched to Primus because Plusnet changed their off-peak call times from 6pm to 7pm (from) in line with their parent co BT.

Wished I'd stayed with Plusnet (thanks Martin Lewis!)
 Anybody got a Breadmaker ? - bathtub tom
I've left Virgin, because of their novel approach to charging. I had to give them thirty days notice, they increased their charges by 50% for the final month.

They're now saying they'll charge me a further £25 because my new ISP didn't use the MAC correctly!

I asked them to confirm that in writing or e-mail. They claim they don't have the ability!
>>Plusnet are good

I might have a gander in their direction, Dog. I'm currently with BT.
Sky calls and broadband works for me, although I think it's a bit cheaper if you have the telly from them as well.

Good website for checking how the account is going.

It even gives a constantly updated 'how much you've spent so far this month' reading.

That's normally the same because so many calls are included in the bundle, but it will show calls that are not, or if I've bought a pay-per-view film.

No signal at all on my breadmaker ! :-0
Doh!
>>I might have a gander in their direction, Dog. I'm currently with BT<<

Had a problem last night with Plusnet, I caned my usage on-line yesterday but found I couldn't connect from 7pm last night (tried 5 times) so I would put it down to the fair usage policy I guess,

It's happened before a few times over the years, but look at the price god damn it :)
Latest Forum Posts