Non-motoring > They're here... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 18

They're here... - SteelSpark
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11954932

Apparently the military have surround a large metal object in a field in northern Scotland

Latest: a hatch appears to be opening on the the top of the object...
 They're here... - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8JLqsbK5V0

WEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee awwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 23:27
 They're here... - swiss tony
2 years early?
 They're here... - Pat
Watching that has brought an annoying song into my head and I can hum it but only the words 'Eve of destruction' come out of my mouth.

It had something to do with RAF Wittering I think.

Help plese.

Pat
 They're here... - Iffy
Eve of Destruction, an American anti-war song.

This is the version I remember, but there were others.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2mTYK3M0G0
 They're here... - Pat
That's the one I mean Iffy, and once I played it I knew every word:)

Now that leaves the Wittering link that I think may be a different song altogether.

Another one I know every word of, yet can't even remember one of them at the moment. I do remember there being a bit of controversy about it at the time though.

Pat
 They're here... - CGNorwich
Are you thinking of "Its Good News Week" by Hedgehoppers Anonymous. Hedgehoppers were two airmen from RAF Wittering and the name of the group was a reference to the pilots of the V bombers stationed there.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrEHDV1e460
 They're here... - Zero
Wittering is now in danger of disappearing. It was due to take on the Harriers from RAF Cottesmore (just up the road and due to close) and now the Harriers are being dumped, it wont have any planes,

Wittering is one of the oldest airfields in the uk (made up from two adjacent bases) and as alluded to,was, at one time, home to V bombers that sat on the pads, fully nuclear armed, on hot standby.
 They're here... - CGNorwich
RAF Marham in Norfolk, another of the RAF's oldest airfields, also faces possibility of closing if it loses role as home of the Tornado to Lossiemouth in Scotland. Decision expected shortly.
 They're here... - R.P.
www.films.mod.uk/

Quite an interesting little site..
 They're here... - Pat
Thanks CG, that's the one.
I did have a wierd taste in music back then, I must have been going through my 'Peace Man' stage just after the sixties:)

Pat
 They're here... - Fenlander
>>>It's good news week.

I have that single still in the collection. Bit of info on the guys...

So how did the formation of the group "Hedgehoppers Anonymous take place? Well ,there were four of us serving at RAF Wittering during the 60's. John Stewart,Les Dash,Ray Honeyball, and myself the singer. One member was a civilian named Alan Laud....who lived near the base at Whittlesea . Peterborough. We all met on the base and at first played in the officers mess,sergeants mess .......and then ventured over time into "The Dorothy Club", and Corn Exchange .Cambridge. Primarily, before thinking of using Hedgehoppers .....we were Known as "The Trendsetters". A local agent spotted us in a pub.....as we played in "The Prince of Wales". Peterborogh and the good old "White Lion Whittlesea.....plus many other venues such as The Winning Post....Market Deeping. Lincs. The owners of these establishments....treated us like family and I have fond memories of them all! We didnt earn much but were kept well fed.......with drinks on the house most of the time "Great"
 They're here... - Pat
I saw Gene Vincent at the Corn Exchange Peterborough.

Pat
Have you been to town since they pulled it down Pat... it's a real shock seeing open space where it stood!
 They're here... - Pat
I haven't Fenlander, I try to stay away from town centres if possible.
I think the last time I was in Peterborough was when I was at the coffee bar, next door to Brierleys near the bridge.
The cool thing to do then was all ride down Bridge Street on our motorbikes weaving around the bollards down the middle!
First one to chicken out bought the coffees.

Pat
 They're here... - Zero
The only good thing about Peterborough is the ring road.

Edit

Not fair, I know it has a magnificent cathedral. But then the one at Ely is better.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 10:57
>>>The only good thing about Peterborough is the ring road.

Been about Peterborough on and off for 35yrs.... not my home area though. There are worse places... particularly the ones the regard themselves posh/cool.

When I was younger many folks would say there isn't anything to do in Peterborough... it's boring.

I say the same now as I did then... it's not the place that's boring if it's you that can't think of anything to do.
 They're here... - R.P.
A certain amount of "cool" in that - whatever happened to coffee and milk bars eh ?
 They're here... - Iffy
...I saw Gene Vincent at the Corn Exchange Peterborough...

Now he was cool.

So cool, in fact, that his coolness rubbed off on his fans.

Latest Forum Posts