Non-motoring > what's your ring tone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 40

what's your ring tone? - Zero
And more importantly - Why?

(because you like it is acceptable - but a bit weak)

I have a selection

general ringtone is the theme from UFO (because I used to fix the golfball printers seen on the opening shot)

Nicole is allocated the theme from Allo Allo to indicate its her (obvious reasons)

As backups ringtones in case I get bored I have

A smile and a ribbon
captain pugwash
Overture from a bridge too far
The march of the oysters from Stingray
The sweeney
And White wedding by Billy Idol (that is cut to end on "pick it up")

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 23:55
 whats your ring tone - Telb
I use Erik Satie's Gymnopedie no 1. Why? Other than I like it, it's relaxing and calls on the mobile tend to wind me up! Oh, and I've never come across anyone else using it, so I know it's my phone ringing.
 whats your ring tone - Pat
Highway to Hell..........because it never gets mistaken with someone else's!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 13:35
 whats your ring tone - Fenlander
Iron Man - Black Sabbath

Same reason as Pat :-)

To be a bit nerdy I had to make the mp3 myslf on the PC so I had the section I wanted from 28sec onwards.
 whats your ring tone - -
The whole theme from the Godfather, always reminds of the stereotype stage Italian portrayed so well in Allo Allo, it shouldn't as the Godfather films were nasty but got to look at life differently.
swmbo has the Benny Hill theme, she being a lifelong devotee of non PC and thoroughly sexist fun.
 whats your ring tone - tyro
"(because you like it is acceptable - but a bit weak)"

How about "Because it was quite pleasant, and I was pretty sure that virtually no-one else would have it as their ring tone* and it was one of dozen or so on the phone when I bought it and I'm not mobile-phone-savvy enough to figure out how to download something else"?

*Having something that no-one else has is generally a good idea, since if a phone rings, I want to know whether it's mine.

Oh, and the tone is, I think, something from Saint-Saëns' Carnival of the Animals.

Last edited by: tyro on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 13:52
 whats your ring tone - spamcan61
A sound clip of Father Jack yelling "I'm a happy camper!
 whats your ring tone - commerdriver
Varies depending on who is ringing

SWMBO mobile - always on my mind - Willie Nelson (soppy)
older son - combine harvester - wurzels (he is making helicopters in Yeovil)
younger son - king of the road - roger miller? (thinks that's what he is)
daughter - intro to ticket to ride - beatles (she is a musician and a huge fan)
general number (known) - Flower of Scotland (unique in most southern locations)
general calls (number unknown) - standard telephone bell ring

could get more varied sometime when I have a couple of spare hours
 whats your ring tone - borasport
'er indoors - Carmina Burana, because its distinctive and entertaining, as she is in her own sweet way :-)

work - old style ringing telephone, noticable but not too intrusive

boss - emergency siren, he tends not to call without reason, though it is occasionally a distraction if I'm driving :-)

relatives - The Addams Family, go figure !
 whats your ring tone - Armel Coussine
Always fancied the Alleluia chorus, or perhaps the bit of the surprise symphony where the cannon all fire, but the speaker in the phone just hasn't got the oomph... it would only be worth having those ringtones if the speaker could imitate a whole symphony orchestra at something like genuine volume. That would set the cat among the pigeons at a quiet moment in the library.

Nor would I be able to arrange anything like that without endless hassle. So I just have a discreet purring phone sound.
 whats your ring tone - FotheringtonTomas
I don't have a mobile telephone for general use. The emergency one that lives (switched off) in the car says "ring ring".
 whats your ring tone - Crankcase
Whatever the factory default is I suppose - I have it on permanent silent anyway so it never makes any noises.
 whats your ring tone - Focusless
>> Whatever the factory default is I suppose

Thank you Crankcase - I was beginning to think I was the only sane person around here :)
I've been called a lot of things but never that. :)
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 14:48
 whats your ring tone - Bellboy
more importantly when number withheld comes up how many peoples hackles are alreasdy raised before its answered as normally its someone with a cloned phone with all the time in the world to ask you stupid questions that you really couldnt be bothered answereing
 whats your ring tone - Bromptonaut
Theme from the sixties tv prog "The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe"

Cos I like it and nobody else has it.
 whats your ring tone - RattleandSmoke
New Order's bizzare love triangle. I thought it would be a bit different, not many people have a hit which reached number 56 in the charts as their mobile ring tone!

whats your ring tone - Alanovich
Ring ring.

Ring ring.

Ring ring.

For all incoming calls, always.

It's a telephone, after all.
 whats your ring tone - Statistical Outlier
Cheers Alanovich, I was starting to think I was the only one!

I have a ring-ring tone. Anything else would either annoy me, seem unprofessional, or generally be unsuitable in some way, although I would struggle to hit the lows of an old school friend who had the Benny Hill theme go off as he was breaking bad news to a patient. Mortified apparently didn't even come close.
 whats your ring tone - Zero
I have to say, If I were the patient I would find that quite funny. Certainly better than forced gravitas.
 whats your ring tone - Statistical Outlier
He's a Paediatrician.

On a brighter note, the one time I did have a comedy ringtone, it was a clip from Mitchell and Webb's German Numberwang sketch: "Acht! Zwei! Das ist Numberwang!".

I loved it, but it confused the hell out of my German colleagues. It was quite difficult to explain why the whole sketch was so much funnier just because it was in German.
Last edited by: Statistical Outlier on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 15:17
 whats your ring tone - Armel Coussine
Mine goes

brrrrrr

brrrrrr

brrrrrr
 whats your ring tone - Robin O'Reliant
I can't remember.

Nobody rings me :-(
Cheers. Now I have the Crusoe theme stuck in my head all afternoon. It's never far away at the best of times. Such a good programme that!
 whats your ring tone - Focusless
>> Cheers. Now I have the Crusoe theme stuck in my head all afternoon.

This won't help: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHB1zd1f5M
I have the whole series at home. I shall have to watch it all again from the start now. Any excuse.
 whats your ring tone - Zero
this is better - it has all the in episode music

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxiqOPnW84&feature=related

Had that been me, I would have strnagled that parrot

"Poor poor robinson"
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 15:43
 whats your ring tone - BiggerBadderDave
"Theme from the sixties tv prog "The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe" "

I came within a gnat's of walking down the aisle to that tune with my current wife at the registry office on the Kings Road.

After much deliberation I went with the theme from Randall and Hopkirk instead.
 whats your ring tone - Soupytwist
Theme tune to the Rockford Files on my personal phone. I loved that series as a kid and I loved the Pontiac Firebird he drove.

Opening 30 seconds or so of Blondie's Hanging on the Telephone on my work phone.
 whats your ring tone - Dog
Swmbo has got Baroque which is quite noisy,
I've got an old Motorola thing that I paid £10 for in ASDA some years ago.
If I could give e a tone - it would be (thanks to Focus) Blakes7
 whats your ring tone - Dave_
I sometimes edit mp3s into ringtones too, but I find that not all pop tunes lend themselves to ringtone use. I've had the opening 8 bars of "Take Me To The Hospital" by The Prodigy for about the last 6 months, for no other reason than it's a strident, immediately attention-grabbing noise. ;-)
On the subject of professionalism and ring tones: -

.**********

Each call was announced by the theme for Harry Corbett's Sooty and Sweep Show!!
OK the swear filter is set well south of stun so let's try again.

On the subject of professionalism and ring tones: -

A few years ago I was stuck in a train near Watford. The guy sat opposite me was clearly headed for London for a series of meetings of the BTOYA variety and arranged for each subject to ring him at ten minute intervals. I guess he managing an IT project headed for bellyupland and each victim got a rollocking of incrementing ferocity.

Carriage reduced to stitches as each call was announced by the theme for Harry Corbett's Sooty and Sweep Show!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 21:08
 whats your ring tone - Runfer D'Hills
Ring Ring I'm afraid. Chuffing thing rings about 30 times a day so anything more complicated could actually be detrimental to sanity. I would like to dis-invent incoming calls to mobile phones and incoming e-mail too come to that. Scourges of modern life unless I need to scourge someone else that is.........
 whats your ring tone - Ted

Ummm...mine rings like a telephone...probably similar to Monsewer D'Bout. It is loud though, this Doro phone is designed for us crumblies !

Did have Caruso singing ' Your tiny hand is frozen ' from lan Boheme on my other phone but this one won't record or take piccies.

Ted
 whats your ring tone - R.P.
 whats your ring tone - Runfer D'Hills
 whats your ring tone - Ted
Just noticed my post....Did Puccini really write an opera called ' Ian Boheme ' ?
Or was it just a freudian finger slip ?

Ted
 whats your ring tone - Badwolf
When SWMBO rings - 'Everything' by Michael Buble. It's 'our' song and the one we will have for our first dance when we get married at the end of May.

The boss has the theme from 'Jaws'.

My Best Man has the theme from 'The Muppet Show', not because he's a muppet - it just suits him somehow!

My brother has 'Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel' by Tavares.

Other 'known' numbers just have a normal 'ring ring', actually called 'Nokia Tinkler'.

Unknown numbers/caller ID witheld have the 'Nokia Tune' ie the one that rings just before Dom Joly whips out his giant phone on 'Trigger Happy TV'.

I have so many different ones as my phone is generally in my pocket while I am driving so I need to be able to tell who is ringing before I decide whether to answer it or not. On Bluetooth, of course!
 whats your ring tone - Vicar of Bray
i have a recording of myself playing largo from new world symphony - on a baritone horn, accompanied by edwin harpers orchestra.

Circa 1986 at the floral pavillion in Bridlington.

Can't bear to use it tho, cos i had a habit of splitting the odd note out of stage fright.
 whats your ring tone - BobbyG
Where did my post on this subject last night go?
Latest Forum Posts