Non-motoring > What things/jobs can you never do right? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 26

What things/jobs can you never do right? - Bigtee
The road tax disc i can never open it without tearing the stupid thing however much i try to be carefull it always gets a tear.!!! ARGGGHHHHH.!!

I must go shopping to Asda 3x times a week as i forget some stuff.!!

What do you do?

What things/jobs can you never do right? - Tooslow
OK, get ready to laugh... moving the shelves in the oven. Why is it so complicated? Not something you want to be faffing around with in a hot oven.
John
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - hobby
Any DIY-ing...
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Runfer D'Hills
I've more than once started the Nissan up with its stupid wretched keyless fob thing in my hand, gone back inside for my phone or wallet or something, left the wretched fob thing on the kitchen table, driven to where I'm going and then realised I haven't got the stupid wretched fob thing. Daren't turn the engine off, had to come home. Everyone else has gone out, no keys, have to drive to my wife's workplace, leave engine running, get house keys, drive home, open house, collect wretched fob thing, drive back to wife's workplace, give her keys back, drive back to where I was going in the first place.....

Aaaarrgh !!
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - -
Agree with DIY, i'm about as much use as a cow with a gun, lack of interest adds to the problem.

I really do not want one of those keyless go thingies, the problems of which are described perfectly in Hump's post, i'd be just as bad if not worse...once went on holiday leaving the front door wide open.
Why the hell didn't they build in some sort of sensor, stray more than 2 metres from the car it conks out or at least warns a loud buzzer or summat.
They always present a problem for transporter drivers too, the wretched fob could be anywhere in the car and i've searched for 20 minutes before now to find them, daren't vacate the car on the truck leaving them inside, the danger of self lockers en route is too much.
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - bathtub tom
Ironing.

SWMBO put her back out and was confined to bed. I thought she'd be pleased to have a chat, so I set up the ironing board in the bedroom and got on with it. She said nothing convinced her more that she had to get on her feet as soon as possible.
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - RattleandSmoke
Oranisation skills, I seem to have made a right cock up of everything over Christmas :(.

What things/jobs can you never do right? - Robin O'Reliant
Sawing wood to size.

I measure it, mark it, double check it, pick up the saw, put the saw down and measure it again just to make sure and it is still either too long or too short.
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Tooslow
And another simple one - getting fitted carpet up. Flooboards - no trouble, but getting started, getting that blasted carpet up... :-(
John
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Zero
I can do plumbing, carpentry, bricklaying (slowly), car diy, weld, fix almost anything,

However I cant plaster to say my life.,
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Old Navy
I am just brilliant at everything I attempt, (not a great deal these days). :-)
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Bigtee
This wristwatch is a cwc w10 Thats a military watch and can i heck put the strap back on the right way around when it's been washed.!!

The toaster is 13yrs old and the heat setting never worked right always burns toast.
I can't do basic car machanics. I can diagnose and replace sensors but ask me to do an oil change and I haven't got a clue.

I am also usless at cutting wood.

I am also useless at putting up shelves.

What things/jobs can you never do right? - Fursty Ferret
>> ask me
>> to do an oil change and I haven't got a clue.
>>

Doesn't that bother you?
Not really, it is a messy job, I have no off street parking and no way to get rid of the oil. I would rather pay the machanic £25 to do the job and on my own car it all has to be done by the dealer anyway for warranty reasons.

I know enough to get cars that won't start started sadly (my neighbours all know that too!).

I have often thought of buying a shed to do up and I really wish I had kept my Corsa for that reason. I gave away a solid car for £250 just because it needed a new HG and that does bother me.
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - henry k
>> I can do plumbing, carpentry, bricklaying (slowly), car diy, weld, fix almost anything,
>>
>> However I cant plaster to say my life.,
>>
That sounds like me.
Any plastering I have done that is much bigger than the size of the float seems to finish up then being " adjusted " by a length of Dexion.
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Clk Sec
>>However I cant plaster to say my life.,

I've never tried, nor do I want to. A plasterer that I've used on several occasions was happy for me to watch him re-plaster one wall after a double glazing installation. Cigarette in mouth, music blaring and chatting to me at the same time - he made it look so easy. He said his first jobs while serving his apprenticeship, were in the airing cupboards of newly built properties. As good a place to start as any, I guess.

Plastering is a job I would make a complete hash of.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 15:37
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Ted

Zed, Henry....can I enrol in the club. I can do virtually anything apart from plastering. However, my SiL is a time served plasterer....hehehe.

Apart from that, I'm absolutely perfect and talented at everything !

Oh no, I forgot.....I can grab 4 or 5 bags of shopping from the car....get to the front door and find the door keys are in a pocket on the same side as the carrying hand. Why can't I ever open those sachets of salad cream, etc ? Why am I always guilty of ' lactomangulation ' in regard to cafe milk ? Why can I not back the car up or down the drive without catching a door mirror ?

Hmmmm....maybe not so perfect, after all !

Ted
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Harleyman
One more for plastering; it's a black art!

Would also sooner lay eggs than bricks, and despite assiduously "measuring twice and cutting once" I never cut wood to size either!

I can join two pieces of metal together, but it'd be a charitable man that calls it welding; that however is lack of practice more than anything else. Like plastering, it's one of those things that you have to do regularly to be any good at.

I can also rope and sheet a lorry, but being left-handed I tend to irritate the hell out of the poor so-and-so who has to undo it if I'm not around!

What things/jobs can you never do right? - AnotherJohnH
A coherant and appropriate reply to a thread here... :)
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - corax
>> However I cant plaster to say my life.,

Heh heh, thats one job I can do, not brilliantly, but good enough. I took a course in it so that I could do small repairs on the house. It's actually harder to do small bits because you always end up with too much plaster left over when finished, and the repair invariably needs doing in a corner or somewhere awkward where you can't get the trowel in easily to smooth it off. Plasterers much prefer doing a whole wall. They can get a rhythm up, and there's plenty of room to work. I only use the slow drying repair plasters, the modern plasters for doing whole walls dry very quickly, so you have to get a move on. It's a very messy job.
Last edited by: corax on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 17:40
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Iffy
I can do very basic DIY and basic car maintenance, but much prefer doing it for somebody else.

What things/jobs can you never do right? - CGNorwich
Spent the day putting up gyproc coving. 4 inside corners and 2 outside. Never want to cut another mitre or do that job again !!!!
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Dulwich Estate
I'll join in with plastering - hopeless. I can render a wall though by fixing vertical battens at say 600mm centres and using a straight edge against the battens to give a reasonable finish. A day or two later I go back, remove the battens and fill the 50m wide vertical gaps. Time consuming and leaves a stripey look - best painted.

Plastering - forget it!
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Harleyman

>> and fill the 50m wide vertical gaps.

DE, just HOW big is your house? ;-)
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - Kevin
>However I cant plaster to say my life.,

Like you, I can weld, plumb, re-wire a house and fix almost anything. I taught myself to do small plastering jobs too after owning an old house with lath and plaster walls. The only jobs I wouldn't attempt were anything involving gas.

The trick to plastering was to keep everything scrupulously clean and get everything absolutely soaking in water before starting. If the plaster starts to dry out while you're still working on it you're stuffed.

Nowadays I call in a pro for anything but the smallest job - I just can't be bothered with all the prep work and tidying up.

Kevin...
 What things/jobs can you never do right? - ....
What things/jobs can you never do right?

Keep the wife happy.

Even when we have sex she's moaning...or does that mean I've finally done something right ?

Who knows ? Wimmin !
Latest Forum Posts