Non-motoring > New York - Which airport ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 21

New York - Which airport ? - R.P.
Thinking of popping over in March for a few days (Bucket List and all that) Last time I was there took a cab into Manhattan from JFK which seemed to take an age. A couple of airlines who fly from that tiny regional dust field in Manchester (see previous threads ! :-) ) offer Newark as an alternative. If memory serves me right and maps tend to support this - anyone any views on advantages or otherwise..?
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 14:45
 New York - Which airport ? - Hard Cheese

There is not much in it distance wise though if you could get a flight into La Guardia then you could walk to Central Park ...
 New York - Which airport ? - Zero
Nothing in it really, you can get a train to Pen central station in NY from Newark NJ.

My money is on Newark, too many bird strikes at JFK for my liking!

Seriously, its all about price, dont expect Newark to be a quiet airport tho, its really busy.
It's a five day break we're looking at the train thing interests me. I drove to JFK from the New Jersey turnpike in the 90s - damned bad signposting for a major airport - lucky we picked a Sunday to drive in...!
 New York - Which airport ? - Netsur
We flew into Newark this last summer via Continental from Manchester. Was a very good flight, with a little more legroom than I am used to and a decent entertainment system. Arrival in Newark was painless and a short queue at immigration.

Train into Manhattan works well.

Espadrille was so impressed she would even consider a short break there, as the flight times make it easy to have a good two or three days.
I wonder if NY has an Apple store..........;-)
Err Yes! A big eff off one.
Oh No.....!
keep away!
At $1.55 to the £1 there are few bargains in Manhattan. Go upstate NY for bargains at Westchester Outlet Mall. Espadrille bagged a few good deals there in the summer.
 New York - Which airport ? - Statistical Outlier
Second the Continental recommendation. I've flown Conti to Newark 8 times in the last year. They fly 777 from Birmingham, which is a small plane for the length of journey, but the seats actually have more room than some, and a good entertainment system.

EWR has fairly short immigration queues, and I've found them pleasant to deal with. Train direct to Penn Station is dead easy. Signage if driving is, as already noted, terrible, and queues for the tunnels and bridges can easily take an hour each.

Flights are far more expensive if you don't stay Sat night, and I've found Kayak to be very useful to find the cheapest flights - the same flight has varied by more than £200 depending on vendor, and direct from Conti is not always cheapest.
 New York - Which airport ? - Gromit
If you want to beat the queues, hop over to Dublin, where you can get US immigration pre-clearance. Continental serve Newark, Aer Lingus (American Airlines codeshare) and Delta serve JKF.

AFAIK, the pre-clearance also allows you transfer directly to domestic US flights in the same manner as US citizens can.
Thanks Gromit - only 1/2 an hour from Holyhead here.
 New York - Which airport ? - Iffy
...hop over to Dublin...Thanks Gromit - only 1/2 an hour from Holyhead here...

Good idea.

Why not bin the second leg of the trip and stay there?

Bound to be an Apple shop in Dublin.

New York - Which airport ? - big bird
We're just back from New Year in New York (between blizzards) and flew into Newark and out from JFK

Both are similar times to Manhattan by train/subway but yellow cabs are also reasonaly priced and a good bet if your hotel is not near the train terminus for the aiport - $50 from/to JFK and ~$70 from Newark depending on whioch route they take (its a flat fare plus tunnel or bridge tolls.
If you are more than 3 (as we were) its less than the train.

Theres a big shopping/outlet mall next to Newark airport.

Dan
 New York - Which airport ? - Hard Cheese

>> They fly 777 from Birmingham, which is a small plane for the length of journey,
>>

Eh? there aint much bigger, not sure of Continental's 777 configuration though as I recall AA 777s are 2-5-2 in economy and quite spacious. Again as I recall Turkish Airlines 777s are 3-3-3 and also quite roomy.

Sure it is not a smaller plane, Conti were running 757s from Bristol to Newark.

757 definitely. Not 777s as they are huge beasts.

757 surprising choice for transatlantic routes, but more US airlines are using them and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the flight. 737 across from NY to CA and also pretty comfortable. Far more comfortable than Jet2 that's for sure.
 New York - Which airport ? - Bromptonaut
BHX- EWR was certainly a 757 route until very recently. Wouldn't have thought it would ever be sufficiently popular to justify a triple 7.
 New York - Which airport ? - Iffy
...BHX- EWR...

Translation: Birmingham UK to Newark, USA.

www.airlinecodes.co.uk/aptcodesearch.asp
 New York - Which airport ? - big bird
BHX-EWR with Continental is a 757-200 according to their website

3-3 in economy
Technically it is a 757-200WL as it has the wingtip extensions (the ends of the wings curl upwards) to reduce drag and improve fuel economy and range.
 New York - Which airport ? - Statistical Outlier
Yep, 757, my mistake. They have them configured 3-3 and they are normally running almost full on the BHX-EWR route in my experience.
Latest Forum Posts