Non-motoring > Vitamins & RDA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Vitamins & RDA - BobbyG
Since I am choked with the cold and barking like a dug, I headed to Tesco to raid their medicine shelves.

While there I thought I might be proactive and get some vitamin tablets to build up my immune system. Got a pack of 240 for £3, to be taken once a day. 8 months supply and it gives 100% RDA of every vitamin I have heard of.

However they also sell Vitamin C tablets on their own, the dissolving effervescent ones, and according to the packet, the 1000mg tablet provides 1667% of the RDA!!!

What would be the point in taking that? OK many will say what is the point in me taking my 100% ones but 1667%???
 Vitamins & RDA - CGNorwich
"Since I am choked with the cold and barking like a dug, I headed to Tesco"

That's another 500 going down with it then :-)
 Vitamins & RDA - BobbyG
Cashier actually said that she didn't think she had processed a single sale today that didn't have some sort of cold remedy in it!
 Vitamins & RDA - Zero
now you know why I never shop in Tesco.
 Vitamins & RDA - R.P.
Just reading a book about the 1918/19 Spanish Flu epidemic...scary.. no Tesco then !
 Vitamins & RDA - Woodster
Have a read of 'Bad Science' by Dr. Ben Goldacre. Stick with it and you'll probably never buy another vitamin or supplement again.
 Vitamins & RDA - Slidingpillar
Mega doses of vitamin C are said by some to ward off colds.

Research has said there is nothing in it, although I'm not totally sure. But vitamin C is unusual since the body grabs what it wants, and you just excrete the excess. So it's not a harmful thing to take mega doses of vitamin C, some of the other ones start to become poisons at wild excesses!

Don't take too much (as it'll kill you) but paracetamol has a good temperature lowering effect. Most cold and flu remedies contain it though so don't take it separately as well.
 Vitamins & RDA - Manatee
I wouldn't expect vitamin C to cure colds, but as an antioxidant presumably it's a good thing? (That's a question, not a statement).
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 20:48
 Vitamins & RDA - Fursty Ferret
Didn't the Bad Science book suggest that Vit C was useless in preventing colds but could marginally reduce the length of the infection in very fit people?
 Vitamins & RDA - Perky Penguin
For really severe pain it is permissible to take the max daily dose of both Ibuprofen and Paracetomol without any bad effects, unless in akkergic to either, of course! Just alternate them thru 24 hours. consult your GP and/or practice nurse to confirm this.

"Aspirin and paracetamol may be safely combined, as can ibuprofen and paracetamol because they have different mechanisms of action. A combination of 1000mg of paracetamol and 800mg of ibuprofen is the highest therapeutic dose for a typical adult. Beyond that there is no additional benefit and the risk of side-effects increases. Taking the maximum dose day after day is not recommended, however, especially for ibuprofen, as it can lead to GI bleeding. Paracetamol is generally safer."

Back on track - never overdose on Vit A; can cause liver problems/failure
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 21:21
 Vitamins & RDA - FotheringtonTomas
Yes, you can take both paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time. It's best to stagger the dosage to get the best benefit.

>> Back on track - never overdose on Vit A; can cause liver problems/failure

Don't order polar bear livers and suchlike from your local butcher. Eating them can kill you.
 Vitamins & RDA - FotheringtonTomas
>> Got a pack of 240 for £3, to be taken once a day. 8 months supply and it
>> gives 100% RDA of every vitamin I have heard of.

You can get them with "minerals", too.

There seems to be some credence in the theory that somewhat larger doses of vitamin D are useful.

>> However they also sell Vitamin C tablets (snip) the 1000mg tablet provides 1667%
>> of the RDA!!! What would be the point in taking that?

In all likelihood none.
 Vitamins & RDA - L'escargot
I googled for "vitamin C RDA" and one website recommended 60 mg daily, so on that basis 1000 mg is indeed 1667% of RDA. That's assuming that all of the 1000mg is vitamin C. However, to quote a percentage so accurately sounds as if somebody got their pocket calculator out without knowing the significance of the result. However, another website recommended 3000 mg daily. You pays your money and takes your choice!
 Vitamins & RDA - Clk Sec
If I'm in the company of people with colds and flu, as I often am, I'll take 1000mg of vitamin C at the earliest opportunity. Yes, I know, it can't possibly be of any benefit to me - BUT I've not had a cold in years.
Latest Forum Posts