Non-motoring > The good German. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 6

The good German. - R.P.
Just watched a C5 documentary on Albert Goering. Very moving tale of Hermann's brother.

I'm surprised I'd never heard of him before...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_goering

and the programme is here:-

www.five.tv/shows/goerings-last-secret-revealed/episodes/goerings-last-secret-revealed

Resistance in pre-war and wartime Germany fascinates me.
 The good German. - Zero
Funny that, I watched that as well.

There is not exactly volumes of books written about it, there are few subjects to feature!
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Jan 11 at 17:02
 The good German. - Cliff Pope
It's true he didn't look much like his brother. Somewhat thinner.
 The good German. - Zero
not quite so fond of hand made white/lilac/powder blue uniforms either.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Jan 11 at 21:46
 The good German. - rtj70
I'd never heard of him until now either. Just read the wiki link. His brother must have liked him a bit to have kept releasing him and letting him get away with what he did.

I might watch that on the web later.
 The good German. - CGNorwich
I seem to remember that he also had an older brother who had emigrated to the US and served in the USAAF.

The good German. - Ted

I watched it too. I knew about him, I think it's been on before.

Goering himself was an intelligent man, a WW1 flying ace and married to a Swedish aristocrat of some sort.

Mentioning the blue uniform reminded me of a thought I often have when watching WW2 and 3rd Reich documentories. Hitler always seemed very modestly turned out compared with his senior contempories.
Usually, a brown jacket sufficed, with a Swastika armband and maybe an Iron Cross.
The others were resplendant with medals, braiding, epaulettes, jodhpurs and all the other finery. I wonder why Adolf didn't camp it up with the rest of them !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts