Non-motoring > Security clearance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 29

Security clearance - smokie
Rooted around web sites and can't immediately find an answer, but while I continue searching do any of you lot know much about security clearance?

I was cleared to SC level in a previous job, all I have to prove it is a letter from the company saying I'd passed and review date is Nov 2014.

The letter says "subject to continued employment by the company" but everything I have found so far indicates that that may well not be the case.

I have mailed the Vetting Agency but no reply yet. I realise they are the only ones who can give a definitive answer but does anyone know if my clearance is likely to be still valid, or will it have lapsed?

Reason I'm asking is that I've seen some good jobs but they require SC.
OK, now found a couple of unofficial sources which say if it hasn't been used for a year it expires, which is the case. Having said that, I worked for ages on two Mod projects and never had anything to show - how they know that it has been used is a bit mysterious.

I'll await the outcome of the email to the Vetting Agency.
 Security clearance - Zero
I was SC, and it was renewed in 2009, so in theory I still am
But SC facts includes the company you work for, so may be classed
As a change of circumstances, rendering your SC invalid
(in theory)
 Security clearance - Fenlander
AFAIK the type of SC you guys had would have been through a *sponsor*... the company or agency you worked for. It would seem very likely you will need to refresh these if working for someone else.

Any help here...

www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/SecurityandIntelligencePublications/DVA/
 Security clearance - rtj70
And if you don't have SC clearance already you can only get it through a sponsor - can be a bit catch 22.

SC clearance is not cheap - lucrative for the government contracts to insist on it because everyone then needs it and brings in a revenue stream.
Apparently if you have DVA clearance in my company you get an annual bonus. So I assume it's a lot harder to get. And for CTC (the one up from SC) you get a lengthy interview as part of the process where they try to trick you out, i.e. they will know lots about you.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 19:37

DVA

That's the positive vetting one, where they interview your friends and go through your bank accounts.
Heard that during an interview, someone working for us found something out about their other half they did not previously know...
 Security clearance - mikeyb
I've only been SC'd by my employer so not sure whats involved. Remember being surprised that I had to declare my 3 points!

I wonder if the job adverts require SC in as much as they are advising that to be eligble you must be able to pass a sponsered SC rather than requiring you to have something in your hand at point of application
 Security clearance - commerdriver
>> I wonder if the job adverts require SC in as much as they are advising
>> that to be eligble you must be able to pass a sponsered SC rather than
>> requiring you to have something in your hand at point of application
>>
Probably true but if you have 1 candidate withe clearance and 1 without who might not get it and would not get it in any case for probably about a month, which would you choose.
If your project needs someone now you may have no choice.
If the role needs SC you will not be able to do very much until it comes, for some roles you will not even be allowed on site, for others you may be allowed on site but will have to be accompanied.
>>
>> DVA
>>
>> That's the positive vetting one, where they interview your friends and go through your bank
>> accounts.
>>
DV clearance is project or role specific when you leave the project it ceases and if there is any significant gap before you go on to another project requiring DV you have to go through the process again.
SC is employer specific in my case for 10 years then renew & does not have to be redone if there is a gap in secure projects as long as the employer does not change.
Don't know the full detail for independent contractors but I believe it is a 5 year one with no significant gaps between secure projects.
Most government IT contracts require SC clearance for majority of staff, not just defence or intelligence contracts.
It was a pre-req for the particular project I was looking at.

The more I read, here and elsewhere, the more leads me to the conclusion that it has lapsed. Shame. As I've read elsewhere, it's a bit chicken and egg - you have to have a sponsor but very few will take you unless you have it already.
 Security clearance - Kevin
commerdriver said:

>DV clearance is project or role specific..

That's my understanding too.

I went through it for an MOD Unix B3 project and clearance ended after acceptance and handover to MOD staff.

smokie said:

>you have to have a sponsor but very few will take you unless you have it already.

If it's just the case that a previous clearance has expired because of a change of employer then prospective employers shouldn't be too bothered. A letter showing the review date should be good enough.
PS.

Smokie,

Have you considered Big Blue?
>> Have you considered Big Blue?
>>
Smokie, if you do want to consider HAL give me a call or give Zero a call (Don't expect he'll mind you'll soon know if he does mind) for a bit of background. I can send the mods contact details to pass on if you want to
"A letter showing the review date should be good enough"

Oooo I do hope so, as I have one of those!

To your PS No, do you work there? Will have a look now
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 21:50
>To your PS No, do you work there? Will have a look now

Yes. There are others who post here too.

I know that we've been looking for PMs and other customer facing professionals recently.

Contact me through the mods if you want more info.
I can feel a big blue get together coming on, might even make room for the odd retiree
 Security clearance - Runfer D'Hills
Big Blue ? Is that summat to do with those lorry lights then? I mean fair enough, fair enough...Live and let live I say.

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 22:21
>> I can feel a big blue get together coming on, might even make room for
>> the odd retiree

whats odd about Big Blue retirees?
 Security clearance - Hard Cheese
I was SC'd 15 odd years ago, I was approached at an exhibition by a guy who turned out to be from one of the intelligence agencies, it took about three months and then I could go and talk to them, as I recall it lasted 10 years.

I would guess that it should be the sponsor that provides evidence of one being SC'd and not a previous employer who may not be SC'd themselves.

Last edited by: Cheddar on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 22:57
As Cheddar says, SC clearance can take 3 months from start to finish.
cheddar said:

>I would guess that it should be the sponsor that provides evidence of one being SC'd and
>not a previous employer who may not be SC'd themselves.

A new sponsor has no evidence of a potential employee's clearance other than what he/she can provide themselves.

rtj70 said:

>As Cheddar says, SC clearance can take 3 months from start to finish.

It can take much, much less when needs arise; and there are procedures for non-cleared personnel to be given temporary specific access if necessary.
>> It can take much, much less when needs arise; and there are procedures for non-cleared
>> personnel to be given temporary specific access if necessary.

Indeed that is how it works - assume clearance will be given etc. But if you need SC clearance before you get a job as a contractor then that can take time and money. Contractors can take home £500+ per day though before tax/NI... possibly a lot more with £500 being the low end.
 Security clearance - Hard Cheese
>> cheddar said:
>>
>> >I would guess that it should be the sponsor that provides evidence of one being
>> SC'd and not a previous employer who may not be SC'd themselves.
>>
>> A new sponsor has no evidence of a potential employee's clearance other than what he/she can provide themselves.
>>

I mean the person or organisation that sponsored the SC while the OP was in previous employment.

>whats odd about Big Blue retirees?

Suit, tie and tartan slippers?
 Security clearance - bathtub tom
What's all this about SC, I had to sign the official secrets act - I'll have to kill you all now I've told you that.
Anyone with SC clearance should also not say they have it in a public place, forum included.

BT you're not far off the mark about saying people signed something.
>> Anyone with SC clearance should also not say they have it in a public place,
>> forum included.
Don't see anyone saying they have clearance lots of people know about it and a few, including me admit to once having it.

Vetting Agency replied this morning. They can't confirm status of someone's vetting for obvious reasons but it would definitely lapse if no action was taken within 12 months to transfer it from a previous sponsor, and the process has to restart from scratch.

Thanks to all for input.
Latest Forum Posts