Non-motoring > Biblical names Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 74

Biblical names - Crankcase
Here is a list of Biblical names that the BBC have included in a news item as (unlikely) suggestions.

I just read them to Mrs C, whose immediately said that she had spoken to someone called Zipporah this very morning, which seems a remarkable coincidence.

Does anybody know anybody called any of these? I can't imagine calling a little lad Methuselah for one!

Jezebel
Nebuchadnezzar
Dorcas
Philemon
Gomer
Methuselah
Achsah
Wilgefortis
Zipporah
Radbod
 Biblical names - R.P.
My physics teacher was called Gomer.
 Biblical names - Zero
I thought about calling my lad Radbod, but figured it was too mainstream,.
 Biblical names - Iffy
I don't think anyone in the UK would call their daughter Jezebel, given the name's connotations with fallen women.

Dorcas is/was a brand of pins.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 20:57
 Biblical names - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I don't think anyone in the UK would call their daughter Jezebel, given the name's
>> connotations with fallen women.

Nobody in this neck of the woods would call their daughter Kimberley or Kimberly.
For obvious geological reasons.
Very popular with the Yanks, though.
 Biblical names - Zero
Kimberley, she's a diamond that girl
 Biblical names - DP
He'd have hated you for the playground beatings it would have caused, but seriously that is the coolest name I've seen for a long time.
As someone who narrowly avoided being called Wilberforce (seriously), I don't take these things lightly. ;-)
 Biblical names - Robin O'Reliant
Nebuchadnezzar would be pretty cool.

The kid with a handle like that would either commit suicide because of constant taunting or like A Boy Named Sue he would turn into one mean and tough hombre.

The former West Ham footballer Julian Dicks was one of the games all time hard men, I reckon he had to learn to use his fists from an early age.
 Biblical names - AnotherJohnH
>> Nebuchadnezzar would be pretty cool.

May get invited to parties but not invited back (unless he brings the 15 litre bottle of pop along)
 Biblical names - rtj70
>> Nebuchadnezzar

Was that not the name of the 'space craft' in the Matrix? Okay it's more a hover craft but anyone who has seen it will know what I mean.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 14 Jan 11 at 21:44
 Biblical names - Runfer D'Hills
Guy I knew was given the nickname "Jesus". Can't remember his real name but the nickname just seemed to fit with his surname which was "Mecock"
 Biblical names - WillDeBeest
My brother claims to have worked, simultaneously, with a Rob Banks and a Roger Mee.

Anyway, back to the Old Testament. Ten years ago, as we embarked on our reproductive career, Joshuas and Samuels were everywhere. (Nosy) people occasionally asked what names we were considering, so we went with this theme and offered two that we thought were unjustly neglected. One, coincidentally, was Jezebel; the other was Herod.

And, to wander OT while remaining OT, when and how did Aaron go from being pronounced 'Air-on' to 'Arran'? It's become one of those names, like Irene, one wouldn't use for fear of it being mispronounced.
 Biblical names - Harleyman
when and how did Aaron go from being
>> pronounced 'Air-on' to 'Arran'?

As in....

The Lord said unto Moses
All Jews shall have round noses
That's except for Aaron
And he shall have a square 'un.

Coat, hat, TAXI!! ;-)
 Biblical names - FocalPoint
My mother's name was Irene (pronounced "I-reen"), often "shortened" to "Rene" (pronounced "Reeney"). Not to be confused with René.

My paternal grandfather was called Jabez, one of the most obscure OT names (First Book of Chronicles, since you ask).
 Biblical names - Iffy
I once knew a lass called Beulah, which the internet has just told me means 'married'.

Biblical names - R.P.
My father had a name that was in the Bible.......

Collins
 Biblical names - Bromptonaut
Not biblical but Mrs B and I have both met men callled Michael Hunt!!
 Biblical names - Perky Penguin
ISTR recall the met man was called Michael Fish
 Biblical names - hjd
My husband's ancestors include a line of Jabezes (if that's the correct plural).
He researches his family tree sporadically.
 Biblical names - devonite
I knew a Radbod...he was a heating engineer!!
 Biblical names - Zero
ho ho ho
 Biblical names - DeeW
My mother was also Irene, shortened to Rene - which she hated. When she joined the WRAF in 1939, arriving from Dublin, she was nicknamed 'Paddy'. She used that name for the rest of her life.

One of the nurses who looked after my husband was a Dorcas, another was called Beauty (and she was).

A lot of the teens I taught in London had biblical names. Jesus is favoured by those of Spanish origin.
 Biblical names - Iffy
...Jesus is favoured by those of Spanish origin...

So it is.

Jesus Gil was a Spanish politician and a big noise in the Atletico Madrid football team.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesús_Gil
 Biblical names - AnotherJohnH
>> ...Jesus is favoured by those of Spanish origin..

Indeed so.

I sometimes have to talk to Jesus on the helpdesk in Manilla.
 Biblical names - CGNorwich
My brother claims to have worked, simultaneously, with a Rob Banks and a Roger Mee.

There was a Victoria Sponge in my daughter's class at primary school.
 Biblical names - Zero
My wife had a friend called Theresa Green,
 Biblical names - Kevin
Take a trip to the parts of Africa reached by Christian missionaries. Lots of kids are still given Old Testament names.

Our "tea-boy" was called Filemon (sic). He was about 200 yrs old and smoked dagga all day.

He failed to turn up for work one day and we were told that he'd died the previous night of chronic constipation. A week later he'd risen from the dead and was back making tea.

Turns out that he'd felt lonely, so he'd gone home to see his wife (600kms away).
 Biblical names - Netsur
Zipporah - wife of Moses I think. Moderately common amongst orthodox Jews, frequently shortened to Tzippy (as opposed to Zippy - the T makes all the difference).

My office deals a great deal with small African Evangelical church groups whose pastors frequently have the most obscure biblical names.
Last edited by: Espada III on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 22:42
 Biblical names - Bigtee
A girl in the next street called her daughter Billy Joe everybody calls her BJ.

Blow j*b won't be nice at school when she's 12+ will it?
There's also the girls names Aholibama, Eglah and the perhaps unfortunate Abishag. For boys there's Beltehazzar and Habakkuk.

Biblical names - Bigtee
My lad is Eli.
 Biblical names - Netsur
Abishag the Shunammite. Young girl intended to keep King David warm in his dotage. According to the Book of Kings she remained chaste despite her name.
Abishag the Shunammite.

That the one - Perhaps posh and Becks might want to use it for their next sprog and bring it back into fashion
 Biblical names - Iffy
...Perhaps posh and Becks might want to use it for their next sprog and bring it back into fashion...

Unlikely, given their last encounter with a girl called Abbie. :)

www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/Beckhams-3671.html
I can see the problem. Perhaps if its a boy he might prefer Onan or his brother's name, Er.

Quite like that one actually - What's your name? Er.
 Biblical names - Cliff Pope
I think I'll select Wilgefortis next time round.

BTW Irene isn't biblical, it's Greek, and it's pronounced Eye-reen-ee.
 Biblical names - helicopter

I know a Joshua and a Ruth which are both biblical names .

Joshua was the son of Josedech the high priest.

But how about naming your boy Zerubabeel , Haggai ,Ezra , Nehemiah , Solomon , Hiram, Cyrus ( King of Persia ) or even Barabbas..........

Surely Solomon is not that unusual - A popular Jewish name. And there was Ezra Pound the poet, although his fascist enthusiasm probably did nothing for the name.

Hiram Maxim invented a machine gun. Cyrus McCormick invented the wheat reaper and founded the International Harvester Co
 Biblical names - Crankcase
We had a Barabbas working for us for a while.

Unfortunately we had to let him go.

Biblical names - helicopter
Anyone know an Aholiab or Bezaleel?.........
 Biblical names - Netsur
I know two Haggais (Actually Chaggai with the CH as is BaCH) and both are Israelis. One Ezra as well.
 Biblical names - DeeW
Cliff, Irene is pronounced both I-reen and I-reen-ee - Mother's was I-reen, her best friend I-ree-nee. I resort to Dee as most people cannot spell my name and many cannot pronounce it!

Back to biblical. One of my brothers was known as 'Beelzebub' for many years until he had a Scripture lesson when he was about 15 and heard about 'Be-elzebub'......
 Biblical names - borasport
SIL is a Sessina and her twin is Hepzibah....
 Biblical names - Zero
And then we have Names that have been banned

10 illegal baby names
These baby names have all been banned around the world for reasons of taste, decency or just plain daftness.…

Posted By Yahoo Lifestyle, Wednesday, 12 January 2011 19:11 GMT

This week the Pope declared war on parents naming babies after celebrities, fruit or popular sports cars. In an address to parents, the ever-progressive pontiff pleaded with worshipers to 'give your children names that are in the Christian calendar'. So Apple, Brooklyn and Ferrari are out, Francisco and Giulia are in.

But Benedict's not the only authority figure to stamp down on one of the sillier by-products of celebrity culture. The following names have all been banned around the world for reasons of taste, decency or just plain daftness.

1) Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii (New Zealand)
New Zealand law bans names which could cause offence to a 'reasonable' person. Good thing too - the country is a stupid name hotspot. We found a couple from the islands who tried and failed to call their son '4Real', but nothing beats the ridiculous moniker above. It belonged to a 9-year-old girl before a judge had her renamed during a custody battle. 'It makes a fool of the child,' he said. It certainly made application forms a pain in the butt.

Has New Zealand banned any other names? Oh yes. The judge listed some that were also blocked: Fish and Chips (twins), Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit. Number 16 Bus Shelter and Violence were allowed.

2) Venerdi AKA 'Friday' (Italy)
Maybe this is what the Pope was talking about. Back in 2008 a court banned an Italian couple from calling their child Venerdi (translation: Friday). The judges reckoned the name - taken from 'Robinson Crusoe' - would expose the boy to 'mockery' and was associated with 'subservience and insecurity'. The parents, however, might have the last laugh; they threatened to call their next child Mercoledi (Wednesday).

Has Italy banned any other names? Italian courts can step in 'when the child's name is likely to limit social interaction and create insecurity'. In Turin, Andrea was rejected (and changed to Emma) as it's a boy's name in Italy. Dalmata has also been rejected, as it means Dalmatian.

3) Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116 (Sweden)
No, we didn't fall asleep on the keyboard. That is an actual name a Swedish couple tried to inflict on their son back in 1996. Apparently the name is pronounced 'Albin' (we're not sure how), and the parents chose it as a protest against Sweden's admittedly strict naming laws. Tax authorities must give their blessing to both first and surnames before they can be used.

Has Sweden banned any other names? Oh yes. Some favourites include Metallica, IKEA, Veranda and Q. Google was OK though.

4) Gesher AKA 'Bridge' (Norway)
Back in 1998 those nasty Norwegians threw a woman in jail (admittedly for only two days) when she failed to pay a fine for giving her son an 'unapproved' name. Eccentric Kristi Larsen said she was instructed in a dream to name her son Gesher (Hebrew for 'Bridge'), but the court were having none of it. Kristi did have 13 children already though, so maybe she had just run out of ideas.

Has Norway banned any other names? Undoubtedly, though in recent times they have replaced their list of officially sanctioned names with a general ban on monikers featuring swearing, sex and illnesses.

5) Chow Tow AKA 'Smelly Head' (Malaysia)
Unlike many countries which are gradually relaxing name laws, Malaysian authorities have cracked down on unsuitable titles in recent years. In 2006 government killjoys published a list of undesirable names that weren't in keeping with the religious traditions of the country – such as Cantonese moniker Chow Tow – which means 'Smelly Head'.

Has Malaysia banned any other names? Lots more Chinese efforts such as Ah Chwar ('Snake'), Khiow Khoo ('Hunchback'), Sor Chai ('Insane'). Malays should also steer clear of Woti, which means 'Sexual Intercourse'.

6) (China)
With more than a billion fellow countrymen, finding a unique name in China is difficult. Perhaps that's why one couple called their baby the '@' symbol – in Chinese characters it apparently looks a bit like 'love him'. Bless. Unsurprisingly, however, the authorities were less sentimental and publicised the moniker as an example of citizens bringing bizarre names into the Chinese language.

Has China banned any other names? The police have control over all names given to children because they issue identity cards, but details of rejections are not widely circulated.

7) Miatt (Germany)
Country living up to stereotype alert! Surprise, surprise the Germans are somewhat officious when it comes to baby naming laws. Regulation-loving Deutschland has an entire department (the Standesamt) which decides if names are suitable. Miatt was rejected because it didn't clearly show whether the child was a boy or a girl, but sometimes the decisions are somewhat arbitrary...

Has Germany banned any other names? The likes of Stompie, Woodstock and Grammophon were turned down, whereas the similarly strange Speedy, Lafayette and Jazz were allowed.

8) Anus (Denmark)
What is it about Scandinavian countries and name laws? The Danes are even tougher than the Swedes in this regard, with parents given 7,000-odd names to choose from by the government. Special permission is needed to deviate from the list, with ethnic names, odd spellings and even compound surnames forbidden. Luckily for him (we assume it's a 'he'), Anus was one of 250-odd names rejected each year.

Has Denmark banned any other names? Well, Pluto and Monkey had lucky escapes...

9) Ovnis (Portugal)
Before naming your child in Portugal, best consult this mammoth, 80-page government doc (and have it translated to English) that tells you which names you can and can't use. It's pretty strict (and random) – Tomás is OK but Tom isn't – and celebs can forget about the likes of Apple and Brooklyn, which aren't even on the banned list. Essex girls rejoice, however – Mercedes is allowed!

Has Portugal banned any other names? There are more than 2,000 names on the reject list, including Ovnis - Portuguese for UFO.

10) Akuma AKA Devil (Japan)
Here's a name the Pope definitely wouldn't approve of. In 1993 a Japanese parent called his son Akuma (which literally means Devil). The authorities decided this was an abuse of the parent's rights to decide a child's name and a lengthy court battle ensued. Eventually the father backed down and junior got a new, less demonic name.
 Biblical names - Netsur
Hepzibah - translates as "I delight in her".
 Biblical names - Iffy
...Hepzibah - translates as "I delight in her"....

Could someone pass the sick bag?

Biblical names - Netsur
I don't think the possible paedophile possibilities were considered 2500 years ago when the Hebrews thought of the name. It simply means I delight in having a daughter. Usually given when a girl arrives after several boys.
 Biblical names - Iffy
...I don't think the possible paedophile possibilities were considered 2500 years ago when the Hebrews thought of the name...

I didn't consider that either, it was the gooey sentimentality that got to me.

But now you come to mention it. :)

Biblical names - Netsur
It should be mandatory for a name to clearly indicate boy or girl.

However with so many immigrants from Africa and China it would be impossible.
 Biblical names - Stuu
I have a Manasseh going back a few hundred years in my family, Jewish of course.
 Biblical names - Netsur
Shalom Chaver!

I had a great uncle Manasseh.
 Biblical names - R.P.
Funny I Googled the name a few months ago in connection to the wording of a hymn - sad I know.
 Biblical names - Netsur
All three of my children have biblical and/or Hebrew related names, but recognisably english as well. As an example (not a name we have used) Isaac rather than the Hebrew - Yitzchak.

Always remember that most hebrew names with an 'H' is really the 'CH' sound as at the end of the name Bach.
 Biblical names - Bromptonaut
>> It should be mandatory for a name to clearly indicate boy or girl.
>>
>> However with so many immigrants from Africa and China it would be impossible.

I'm sure we can amange that confusion on our own. While Leslie and Hillary may have M&F spellings they're not always followed and don't help when spoken. Then there's Lee as well.
and Valerie
 Biblical names - Stuu
I know someone called Gay ( spelt that way ), a woman. The temptation is always to answer ' Ok but whats your name? '. I havent done yet nice tho she is.
 Biblical names - tyro
I know someone called Gay ( spelt that way ), a woman.

I knew a woman called Gay as well - short for Gabrielle. By the same token, one also gets blokes who are known as Gay - short for Gabriel - like the Irish broadcaster Gay Byrne.

And Gabriel is, of course, a Biblical name.
 Biblical names - Armel Coussine
>> Then there's Lee as well.

When my first daughter was born, being young and enthusiastic (and a bit thoughtless), I gave her as middle name William after a writer I admired. It is one of my names too.

The registrar demurred saying it was a boy's name, but I insisted and that was the second name she got.

When she was about 14 the name started to embarrass her, and she asked if I minded if she used 'Lee' instead. As it was one of the writer's noms-de-plume I said, fine by me, and that was the name she used for a while. Later though she came round to William and reinstated it.

Of course middle names don't matter that much. It's the first one that counts. My father couldn't stand his given name and was known by nicknames all his life, even to his parents.

My own name is Biblical but about as common as names come.
 Biblical names - swiss tony
>> Of course middle names don't matter that much. It's the first one that counts. My
>> father couldn't stand his given name and was known by nicknames all his life, even
>> to his parents.

Well, Id have to disagree....
My family call me by my middle name, although outside my family, I use my first name!
Theres a long story to the reasons, and Ill not go in those here...
 Biblical names - Iffy
...My own name is Biblical but about as common as names come...

Good evening, John.

Biblical names - Armel Coussine
>> John.

Or Matthew. Or Mark. I even know a couple of young Lukes.

I had a great-uncle called Luke. Oddly enough he was always known by his middle name: Eli.

Biblical names - swiss tony
>> I had a great-uncle called Luke. Oddly enough he was always known by his middle
>> name: Eli.
>>

HA!
see, middle names do count.

For a few of us!
 Biblical names - PhilW
Think we may need to distinguish between Old Testament and New Testament in this thread!

Philip

Most of my son's friends seem to be called Ben or Sam, and my daughter's friends all seem to be called Sarah!
 Biblical names - Zero
Names are not Biblical.

The bible didn't event names for people. They were called these names before the bible came along.

Or jesus for that matter.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Jan 11 at 23:59
I though biblical meant relating to or contained in the bible but I suppose your dictionary is different.
 Biblical names - Zero
you see - its this kind of rigid thinking that gets you lumbered with a name like methusela.

The word earth is contained in the bible, and water,

are they biblical?

When I use a word, Zero said in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.

with apologies to Humpty Dumpty

Biblical names - L'escargot
The Dingle family in Emmerdale is awash with biblical names.
 Biblical names - Pat
Cain is lovely:)

Pat
Cain is lovely

Abel wasn't keen
 Biblical names - Ted

He is actually, Pat. Not a bit like his part.
He's a great pal of my son...met at the Contact theatre in Manchester.
Went to his wedding to Zoe Henry, the vet. Down in Bury St Edmunds.
Ted
 Biblical names - Iffy
The Emmerdale cricket team plays a game each year in a village near the caravan.

They all seem like good sports, and unsurprisingly many of them are good drinkers.

Biblical names - Pat
Would that be in September Iffy :)

Pat
 Biblical names - Roger.
Cane or Cain?
Hmmm. Is that a Freudian slip, Pat?
Last edited by: landsker on Sun 16 Jan 11 at 06:08
 Biblical names - Pat
Perhaps I better leave that to your imagination Landsker ;)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts