Non-motoring > 125mph this morning Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 63

125mph this morning - Focusless
...on the train of course. The reason I know is because they've attached 'Volo-tv' LCD screens to the backs of seats in at least one of the carriages of the Intercity125 I take between Reading and Bath. If you want to watch old TV programmes you have to pay, but there's no charge for a satnav-like 'moving maps' display with speed and altitude (or you can browse some BBC news headlines).

I thought it was great, although I couldn't see anyone else using it, and I guess the novelty will wear off after a few journeys. We only got up to 125 once, between Didcot and Swindon, but we were consistently over 120.
 125mph this morning - R.P.
Altitude ?
 125mph this morning - Zero
rate of climb or descent? would be interesting to see it maintain 120mph up a descent.

Have to say, those HST 125's really are the dogs knees. Been pounding the lines at those speeds for donkeys years. Great piece of kit,
 125mph this morning - movilogo
I measure speed of train with sat nav :)

When a road is just besides the track, it jumps out of track and go to road though.
>> rate of climb or descent? would be interesting to see it maintain 120mph up a
>> descent.

I did keep an eye on the rate of change of the altitude, and it didn't appear to make any difference. I don't know how 'steep' the gradients are in rail terms.

>> Have to say those HST 125's really are the dogs knees. Been pounding the lines
>> at those speeds for donkeys years. Great piece of kit

The youngest is over 25 years old isn't it? I agree - FGW were starting to introduce new engines when I first started taking this route over 3 years ago, but passengers soon set them straight and they were never seen again.
 125mph this morning - Bigtee
The original engine was a paxman diesel originally designed for marine use & converted to loco spec, the engines were changed to the MTU a much cleaner running engine better performance got all the specs in my locker from the training course.

Some 35+ years old now and was sold to many parts of the world including Australia for one, was overhauled at Brush for the east coast the old GNER.

Can see it been around for at least another 10 years untill a replacement comes in from Japan.
 125mph this morning - Number_Cruncher
HSTs are really rather special - they make all the more modern trains look like complete rubbish - especially the Voyagers and Meridians, with a noisy engine under each carriage, they're nothing but a glorified DMU.

With some modifications to improve access and automate the doors, mk3 carriages offer excellent quiet and comfortable accomodation.

Why build a completely new design - why not accept some shortcomings, save massive development costs and simply build some new ones to print?

125mph this morning - RattleandSmoke
The main problem with the HSTs is it takes too long to get up to speed, the idea of having an smaller engine in each coach is you get much better aceleration.

The HSTs work well in straight lines with infrequent shops but they are hopeless on say the West Coast main line with all the bends.
The main problem with the HSTs is it takes too long to get up to speed, the idea of having an smaller engine in each coach is you get much better aceleration.

The HST gets up to speed just fine it pulls many more coaches and passengers the mk3 coaches are better than the mk4 too many problems with doors old slam coaching stock is fast and easy to repair.

The DMU i work on are ok for the "bus route" but not designed for the relaxing long route of the HST but can see the current stock of DMU not changing were getting rid of 8x of our better 156 class to take 16 150/1 old bangers well it will keep me in a job busy fixing them.
the Sprinters do the job well though, I hate traveling in them as they are always overcrowded but they don't take up much station space. Imagine the cost of running 125s on local journeys.

Surely the Pendolino 9 car EMUs carry more weight than the 125s? The Voyagers however are crap and no real replacement the 125s. Just too cramped and too many seats next to a pillar meaning no view.

I also hate the 156s northern have with all the seats facing opposite each other. In rush hour it is hell.
I also hate the 156s northern have with all the seats facing opposite each other. In rush hour it is hell.

Don't worry they won't be around much longer these are the most reliable unit and were getting rid to get some old junk, but more coaches means more revenue so in time it pays and you as the customer would rather have a seat to sit on after work than stand up so it makes some sense.

The 158 3 car got a lot of these good unit.
As a passanger I would be glad to get see the back of them :). My favourite local train by far is the Class 323s they run on the cheshire lines. They just sum up comfort. They were always only half full too. THey are also gettign rid of these though :(
 125mph this morning - Bromptonaut
>> rate of climb or descent? would be interesting to see it maintain 120mph up a
>> descent.

I'm sure either OS Nock or PWB Semmens will have covered the subject in detaiil but my impression is that the IC125 runs up Stoke bank at close to the speed Mallard came down.
>> Altitude ?

IIRC started in Reading at about 220ft (none of your metric malarky), up to about 350 in Swindon,. then back down to 180 (or possibly lower) in Bath.
 125mph this morning - commerdriver
These trains are something else
I have been getting one from Reading to Swansea on Mondays and back on Thursdays every week for the last year and they have been great, especially when you think the original design from the 1970s has not changed much at all.
On a separate note, 125 MPH is not that much. Most modern cars can travel at that speed (law permitting)
 125mph this morning - oldnotbold
Anorak mode What's the mpg of a 125 at full chat, and what does it work out as per passenger on say a 75% seat loading, and how does that compare to a 40 mpg car with just the driver? Anorak mode
>> On a separate note 125 MPH is not that much.

It's not bad if you're paying less than 15p per mile :)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 09:47
Most train journeys are unaffordable in this country!

Don't know how much the fare is in that route, but First Capital Connect (Bedford - London - Brighton) is prohibitively expensive compared to car even when only driver travelling.
>> Most train journeys are unaffordable in this country!
>>
>> Don't know how much the fare is in that route

Advance ticket admittedly, but £10 for 70+ miles hence <15ppm (peak time).
>> >> Most train journeys are unaffordable in this country!
>> >>
>> >> Don't know how much the fare is in that route
>>
>> Advance ticket admittedly but £10 for 70+ miles hence <15ppm (peak time).

Sorry - that wasn't quite accurate. I was forgetting that the £10 advance ticket is for between Didcot and Bath only, and I pay £7.80 for the return between Reading and Didcot. It's £7 from Bath back to Didcot, so:

10+7+7.80 / 2 = 12.40 Reading-Bath = ~17ppm average
>> Advance ticket admittedly but £10 for 70+ miles hence <15ppm (peak time).

About same rate as my annual season between Northampton and Euston. Round trip is 130 miles * 220 working days is 28,600 miles per anum. Season cost £4128 so 14.4ppm.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 22:57
>> I have been getting one from Reading to Swansea on Mondays

0711?
 125mph this morning - commerdriver
>> 0711?
>>
Too early I get the 0811 gets into Swansea 1044.
Company deal is they will fund first class if we work on the train, very comfortable and all emails dealt with before I hit my desk.
>> Company deal is they will fund first class if we work on the train very
>> comfortable and all emails dealt with before I hit my desk.

That's nice - I work on the train but have to slum it in standard. Apart from Fridays that is - for some reason the advance single back from Bath to Didcot goes up from £7 to £8, but it's only £8.50 for a 1st class ticket, so I treat myself to roomy leather seats, free coffee/cake/Times, and no riff-raff :)

The downside is I have to hop out at Didcot and run back to join said riff-raff in the standard coaches for the last leg to Reading :(
 125mph this morning - MD
>> The downside is I have to hop out at Didcot and run back to join
>> said riff-raff in the standard coaches for the last leg to Reading :(
>>
And a quick one in the Three Guineas?
 125mph this morning - Alanovich
I shall be riding one of these on Thursday and look forward to enjoying this new service. If I can get a seat.
>> If I can get a seat.

Can you buy your ticket now for a specific train? That comes with a seat reservation.
Well I'm only bumbling into London for the evening, so I'm not all that fussed if I'm honest. I shall probably just grab a can of Cornish bitter and drink it whilst staring out of the window if there are no seats.
 125mph this morning - jc2
Interesting that Intercity 225 are quoted in Kph;actually 139.9 Mph.
The Pendolinos are the most fun, 125mph round corners! I remember the last time I took my sat nav on a train I texted a friend saying I am currently doing 100mph her reply was that she was shocked! I then pointed out that Siemems do not make cars!
 125mph this morning - MD
>> saying I am currently doing 100mph her reply was that she was shocked! I then pointed out that Siemems do not make cars!

100 MPH Siemen. Guaranteed result then!!
>> I then pointed out that Siemems do not make cars!

They don't make Pendolini either; they're and Alstom product.
After that one journey, never saw the back-of-seat TVs again until this morning. Now you don't get anything free apart from trailers and safety information (they've removed the safety cards) :(

£1.50 for an hour's 'entertainment', or £3.50 for the whole journey - don't know whether a satnav-like display is available at all. Might keep the kids quiet for a bit on a long journey I suppose.
>> don't know whether a satnav-like display is available at all.

www.volo.tv/about.html
"There is also a real time train locator feature so that passengers can follow their journey progress on the screen."
 125mph this morning - VxFan
>> £1.50 for an hour's 'entertainment', or £3.50 for the whole journey

If you've got a smart phone with a free data package, or a laptop and dongle or wifi, you could always watch TV on that - tvcatchup.com/
>> or a laptop and dongle or wifi, you could always watch TV on that - tvcatchup.com/

Have got a laptop, but no internet when on the train. But I was thinking the other day about getting a Freeview USB stick - might that work?
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 19 May 10 at 10:28
>> But I was thinking the other day about getting a Freeview USB stick - might that work?

Looks like reception might be a problem without a proper aerial :(
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 19 May 10 at 10:36
Book ?
>> Book ?

Well I should be working really... just fancy a new gadget :)
 125mph this morning - Iffy
...Book?...

Or if that's too 19th century, how about electronic books?

My mother has a Nintendo with "100 Great Books" or somesuch loaded on it, and is getting along fine.

I think she finds the screen almost easier to read than a paper book because it's backlit.

Kindle - you can read and surf (in a clunky sort of way)
Thanks - good ideas, although actually I'm quite happy working in the mornings, and in the evening I either work or nod off. Also try to keep the rucksack weight down due to a 4 mile cycle at one end and 2 mile run at the other (and the laptop isn't that light...).
I went on a few when I was down south and they are wonderful trains. They are very very comfortable and almost silent in the coach.

Its hard to believe they are over 30 years old. The refurb has worked very well bringing the old MK3s into something which looks newer. Of course the slam doors give away how antique the trains really are.
Just a comment on the trains I went from:-

Manchester > Bristol - day one
Bristol - Minehead - Day two, ok it did involve a bus connection - day two
Minhead - Plymouth - Bus and a train - day three
Plymouth - Newquay - day four
Newquay - Torquay - day five
Torquay - Manchester - day six

I spent less than £120 on train tickets the entire week. Only day one and day six were booked in advance, I got the rest of the tickets on the day but I was creative about it (e.g split ticketing).
>> I got the rest of the tickets on the day but I was creative about it (e.g split ticketing).

...and off-peak?
 125mph this morning - WillDeBeest
I agree with NC. (Have I heard that somwhere else?). The HST has aged fantastically well. I remember 1977, when my dad was commuting from Didcot to Paddington to do a job he hated with civil servants he despised. One night he came home purring, having had his first ride on an HST, and he contrived a reason that weekend to take my brother and me to London just so that we could experience it too.

I now work next to the London end of that line and, despite the hideous FGW colour scheme, the HSTs still brighten my day as they go by.

Incidentally, they always used to be in groups of seven coaches but now mostly have eight. Presumably this is a benefit of the new engines.
Probably more that there is a surpless of MK3S now a lot of the fleet has been replaced.
>> Probably more that there is a surpless of MK3S now a lot of the fleet
>> has been replaced.

According to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterCity_125#Regions_and_operators they have always been at least 2+8.

When it was announced last year(?) that they were going to spend millions (billions?) of pounds upgrading the London to Bristol/Wales line which I use to electric I thought sounded like waste of money - as suggested, just continue updating the 125s. IIRC that plan has now been scrapped - don't know what if anything has replaced it.
But they have been replaced in a lot of parts in the country, on the west coast for example (London to Glasgow) they have all been replaced by Pendolinos. The last time I sawe a MK3 at Picciddily was in 2005 and that was pulled by a rented class 67.

When they took them off the west coast that would have freed 100's of carraiges for other parts of the country.

I should also add since the class 43s have been removed from the west coast line the journey time from Manchester to London has almost halved.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 19 May 10 at 13:30
>> I should also add since the class 43s have been removed from the west coast
>> line the journey time from Manchester to London has almost halved.

Ok, that is quite impressive. Is that due to the improved acceleration, or top speed, or both?
Rattle,

The 125 was only used on a few Manchester services. Its main application on the WCML was to Holyhead where it saved the time/cost of a loco switch where the wires end at Crewe. They were capable of equal or better times than the electric + Mk 3 sets which the 125 could comfortably out accelelerate. I used to regulary catch one at Milton Keynes where it called around 07:00 having left piccallily at silly o'clock. It went out again to Holyhead and I think the Manchester sector was becuase it lived at Longsight.

The Pendolini have taken about 35 mins out of Manchester timings but most trains make fewer stops so the average speed across the whole service is much higher.

Last edited by: Webmaster on Fri 28 May 10 at 11:56
Yep the frequency of service has been increase thus viewer stops but also the Pendolinos can do much higher speeds round the bends where as the 43 has to slow down and then takes longer to pick up speed again.

The last time I went to London from Manchester it took less than two hours. It took 3 and a half hours only ten years ago.

I do remember very clearly getting on a 43 set back in 1997 and also in 2004ish when East Midland operated a service which went from Manchester to Sheffield then onto London via the east coast line. Once the west coast works completed this route just could not compete with the Virgin west coast service and was dropped.

125mph this morning - WillDeBeest
Ah, Focus, but Background and Design in that same article agrees with me. Wikipedia in Not Entirely Reliable Source shock. Whatever next?
};---)
>> Ah, Focus, but Background and Design in that same article agrees with me. Wikipedia in
>> Not Entirely Reliable Source shock
. Whatever next?
>> };---)

:-) But I think it only agrees if you don't count the buffet car, which I was doing (it does have some first class seats in it). Or am I missing something? Happy to be corrected.
 125mph this morning - Zero
>> >> But I was thinking the other day about getting a Freeview USB stick -
>> might that work?
>>
>> Looks like reception might be a problem without a proper aerial :(

you have zero chance of getting a usb freeview to work on a train.
There were some surplus Mk3 coaches following the West coast upgrade. Some have been absorbed by other services including Wrexham & Shropshire's activities and charter sets. The loco hauled versions were electrically different from those in HST sets but there's now work in progress to convert those that remain to strengthen HST units

The new IC-E units that would have superceded the HST in either electric, diesel or hybrid forms are currenly on hold. The outgoing gov were not prepared to authorise such a massive programme and it will now have to take its chances with the spending review.
 125mph this morning - Mapmaker
Tomorrow I catch the sleeper from London to Scotland. Advance purchased ticket makes it £60; 500 miles by road, makes it 12p per mile.

Full price 3-4 times that, travelling 2 up makes it utterly uneconomical.
You have the stress of a 500 mile car journey, or you can sleep and be refreshed when you arrive :).
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 19 May 10 at 17:32
 125mph this morning - spamcan61
>> >> >> But I was thinking the other day about getting a Freeview USB stick
>> -
>> >> might that work?
>> >>
>> >> Looks like reception might be a problem without a proper aerial :(
>>
>> you have zero chance of getting a usb freeview to work on a train.
>>

Agreed, even if you can get a signal the receiver will go nuts when presented with 100mph+ of doppler shift. i've read of people allegedly getting Freeview working on the move but looking at the specs. for DVB-T then anything more than walking pace shouldn't work.
 125mph this morning - Bagpuss
I use the ICE high speed train services in Germany quite frequently. The ICE 3 has onboard wireless LAN, for the older ICEs I rely on a UMTS card for my laptop. It works ok, even at 300km/h. The ICE 3 has the drive units distributed across the axles instead of a dedicated locomotive, so sitting at the front and looking over the driver's shoulder is a special experience. Sort of like sitting upstairs in the front seats of a double decker bus, but faster.

The French TGV is faster than the ICE but noisier.
Bagpuss, I was on an ICE last week, Berlin-Hamburg and back. It only reached 230km/h. I had thought that they could do 300, and I had been telling my travelling companion to look out for that, but it got to 230 on the display in the carriage and that was that. Disappointed!

Are there particular routes where 300km/h can be achieved, Berlin-Hamburg not being one?

Nice ride, mind you.
 125mph this morning - Bagpuss
The ICEs only travel at 300km/h if the train is not "overfull". Also at the moment only certain trains are allowed to travel continuously at this speed due to the widely publicised problems with the axles on the ICE 3s where the manufacturer is struggling to replace all the units. After the tragic Eschede accident in 1998, where 100 people were killed in an ICE when a wheel disintegrated and the train hit a bridge, they're a bit sensitive about axle problems.

I've seen 300 on the routes between Frankfurt and Stuttgart and between Munich and Nuremberg - 200km in 50 minutes! I've travelled faster on a TGV but it can't beat the ICE 3 for that "gliding in silence" feeling.
That would explain it. My train was packed with exuberant Fulham fans on their way to their club's greatest ever night. Well, the outbound was. We weren't quite so exuberant on the return leg.
Latest Forum Posts