Non-motoring > Found a new cheap hobby... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 7

Found a new cheap hobby... - RattleandSmoke
And it is a great one, attending to university lectures. A university friend from way back realised there is a lot public lectures in the sciences.

We attended the first tonight, all about the chemestry behind the stars. It was very interesting and told us how stars are formed and the different chemical make up of different stars.

It really got my brain going for the first time in the years and it has also got me thinking that I need to go to back to university one day but probably on a part time basis in the future. I miss studying so much.

Anyway we are hoping to attend more of these things and it is certainly a more worth while way of spending time than drinking.
 Found a new cheap hobby... - Stuartli
I was going to say you've given up drinking..:-)

But I'm still doubtful about the brain going for the first time...:-)))
 Found a new cheap hobby... - swiss tony
>> We attended the first tonight, all about the chemestry behind the stars. It was very
>> interesting
>>
Was that the one titled 'Drug taking within the entertainment business?
 Found a new cheap hobby... - Crankcase
There's lots of stuff like this entirely for free on iTunes, for those who don't want to turn out on a winter's night. Explore the lesser known depths of the "iTunesU" section of iTunes to find it. Lots come from some pretty prestigious places, so if you want to see or hear yer actual lectures from MIT or whatever, it's all there.

We're listening to a series of podcasts about Tolkien by a Professor of English Literature on the morning commute at the minute. Recently we did "Space Time and Consciousness" from the Open University, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit I really enjoyed a series about UK Waste Management and Recycling. We also enjoyed a great series about Byzantium.

I'm also having a bash at some advanced maths, not having done it for 30 years, and a bit of cosmology.

A great resource.

Found a new cheap hobby... - Pat
Don't tell Rattle that Cheddar, we're all hoping he'll meet a stargazing female at one of these lectures.

Pat
 Found a new cheap hobby... - Crankcase
>> Don't tell Rattle that Cheddar

Ahem.
Both names begin with C, but other than that....

Honestly, women.

Found a new cheap hobby... - Pat
Sorry:)

I'm having a 'try not to give up on work and go outdoors day':)

Pat
 Found a new cheap hobby... - Bellboy
yes you cant beat a student bar after a boring lecture to make you think you enjoyed it
some man on the box the other night found some more stars on his computer while listening to his radio waves
as john cleese would say fascinating...................just fascinating
Latest Forum Posts