Non-motoring > Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 34

Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - R.P.
Pat.....

Absolute gem of a programme over the last couple of nights. Great British Railway Journeys...

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xhy37/Great_British_Railway_Journeys_Series_2_Llanwrst_to_Porthmadog/

Incredible scenery, brilliant photography. BBC at its best.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - RattleandSmoke
I will have to watch that, I tend to watch most of the programs in this series :).
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Zero
Been watching it from the start of its current Journey in Brighton.

Bradburys railway walks were just as good, so catch them if they make the round.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Fenlander
I watched the Cambridge one in this series... thought it excellent... as the years go on I'm warming more to Portillo... particularly his double act with Dianne Abbott.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Bellboy
I tape these monday to friday then watch them back to back on a saturday night/
Forgot to tape wednesdays though, so will use the i player tv attachment i bought.
Funny how you can watch stuff on demand but still tape it, its an age thing i think, like saving the wrappers off old frys chocolate cream bars, or the cardboard out of bounties
mr trebus lives.............
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Alanovich
>> so will use the i player tv attachment i bought.

Wassat? Do tell. Sounds interesting.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Stuartli
>>Wassat? Do tell. Sounds interesting.>>

Perhaps one on these lines?

www.dabs.com/products/d-link-boxee-box-by-d-link-75ZK.html

If your TV has an Ethernet socket you could use that instead from your computer system (plus media server software) via Ethernet cable to view BBC iPlayer.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 14 Jan 11 at 14:34
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - helicopter
I watch this regularly and was particularly interested in the programme last night as the village of Trefriw was featured .

We have stayed there frequently on holiday and I love to head off into the mountains and it is a beautiful area.

Not so keen on Portillo though ....... always seems a bit oily to me.....

I must admit I had to laugh when he was on a farm near Hereford and was encouraged to pat a huge Hereford bull and he grumbled that it went against all his Spanish heritage to be nice to them .......
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Zero
>> I watched the Cambridge one in this series... thought it excellent... as the years go
>> on I'm warming more to Portillo... particularly his double act with Dianne Abbott.

Yes he takes a little getting used to as he does appear a bit smarmy and oily, but underneath is a warm man with some humour, enthusiasm, and he does appear to delight in listening to the people he meets.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Pat
Thanks PU:)

I thoroughly enjoyed that and can see the potential for bring some slate back!

Pat
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Perky Penguin
Bradbury is rather less pretentious than Portillo, and a better presenter, IMO. Her series on Wainwright and the Lake District was very good as well.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Bromptonaut
>> Her series onWainwright and the Lake District was very good as well.
>>

Absolutely. But AW's ashes must have been whizzing round Innominate Tarn at the idea of it being introduced by a WOMAN
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 14 Jan 11 at 14:53
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Stuartli
>>Bradbury is rather less pretentious than Portillo, and a better presenter, IMO>>

Her genuine enthusiasm is readily apparent.
Portillo would have made an excellent PM ! I warmed to him after a personal Railway Journey of his to Spain where he traced the history of his father's involvement in the Civil War and subsequent emigration to the UK. On the list of programmes I wished I'd taped.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Bigtee
Those 150 & 158 do like rather clean & spotless obviously Arivva has sent them through the washer prior to the program unlike our 150 & 158's which look as dirty as hell & need a right good bath.

Nice program can't say i have watched them but seen others like them.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - spamcan61
>> Those 150 & 158 do like rather clean & spotless obviously Arivva has sent them
>> through the washer prior to the program unlike our 150 & 158's which look as
>> dirty as hell & need a right good bath.
>>
Even the (Northern Rail?) Dogbox briefly glimpsed near the beginning looks pretty clean.

That's one hell of a model railway shop at Betsy.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Ted
I've set the series to record. I might put them on a DVD. I watched the last one and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I also like the Bradbury stuff....especially the Wainwright coast to coast she did.

I like the way Portillo has re-invented himself from slimy politician to a really good, enthusiastic broadcaster.
I think Julia has a marginally more shapely bottom, though. I suppose there's a few on here might not agree !

I also enjoyed John Sargeants Indian Railways series very much.

All of it proper telly with real people and no ' celebrities ' .

Ted
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - spamcan61
>> I warmed to him after a personal Railway Journey of his to Spain where he traced the >> history of his father's involvement
>> in the Civil War and subsequent emigration to the UK. On the list of programmes
>> I wished I'd taped.
>>

Is it this one guv?

www.locatetv.com/tv/great-railway-journeys-of-the-world/season-4/1089746

Might be worth keeping an eye on that page to see if a DVD/repeat turns up.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Armel Coussine
>> Bradbury is rather less pretentious than Portillo, and a better presenter, IMO>>

Michael Portillo doesn't seem remotely pretentious to me. He's a little bit stiff, but very intelligent and not an ideologue but a conservative humanist.

I used to think he was an oily, dishonest Thatcherista. But his exemplary behaviour when he lost his seat by a whisker to a nasty, spiteful Labour ideologue amid an audience of howling, yobbish Labour supporters made me realise I had got him absolutely wrong.

Anyway he isn't a 'presenter' on Brillo Pad's show. He's a pundit, and a good consistent one, seldom wrong.
Which is why he should have been PM AC. Would have raised the credibility of the country.
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Iffy
Not all slimy Tories are just slimy Tories.

David Mellor is another one who has proved to have a bit more about him.

Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - scousehonda
A very good series but I would take him (or his producer) to task for inferring that Wrexham was in Cheshire. Not even in the same country!!
I would have though Wrexham was closer to Staffordshire than Cheshire anyway. It does make you wonder who the hell reseaches these things.

No Rats...Wrexham is nearer to Cheshire and Shropshire.
Staffs is a county's distance away.

You must get out more, jeune homme !...Get that Panda down the lanes around Ellesmere and Wem.......full English at the TruckStop at Prees. Grand country down there.
Better still , buy a motorbike and come on the Big Breakfast Run to Prees and then on to the Ponderosa for lunch !

Ted
Shropshire is what I was thinking off :).

I always get a bit blured of bounderies between the two counties. I remember spending an entire day in a village called Ashley once as my ex was applying for a job there.
>> David Mellor is another one who has proved to have a bit more about him.

Don't mention that odious toe sucking creep in my presence. When MP for Putney he used to come to Craven Cottage, and he even had a column in our match day programme. When Abramovich bought Walham Green Dog Track, he jumped ship over to them as soon as he thought there were more votes in it for him.

That's the measure of the slimeball.

Slimeball or not, he's done some great stuff on Classic FM and certainly introduced me, in a very knowledgable way, to many composers who have been neglected for years.

Ted
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Iffy
...he jumped ship over to them...

He was supposedly wearing his Chelsea top during the toe-sucking incident, so he was a Chelsea fan long before Abramovich bought the club.
I could just make out my house tonight from the summit of Snowdon..
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - Bellboy
>> I could just make out my house tonight from the summit of Snowdon..
>>
>>> worst thing is when you look through a plane window after being on holiday and hope house hasnt burnt down while away
>> so he was a
>> Chelsea fan long before Abramovich bought the club.
>>

Fair point Iffy - he must have had a thing for Papa Smurf when he did it then. I was overjoyed when he lost his seat (and I speak as a former Tory party member).
 Some trams for Rattle - and something for Zero and - MD
Hi PU. A delightful journey. I think I recall as a small boy, travelling on a narrow gauge rural line from Towyn (I think) in to wonderful countryside on a steam train?? Would that be right??
Tal y Llyn Railway no doubt Martin.

First time ever for me to hear the word pretty and Holyhead in the same sentence without another adjective like awful involved
Holyhead is a ******.

I love Anglesey and North Wales and can't wait to vist again this year hopefully in my Panda if I can get mates to come.

All my cousins are very welsh now (depsite being mancs with a welsh surname) and run a very sucessful business in Conwy.

Can't wait to vist Wales again this year. It is a lovely part of the UK, for the some reason I have always loved Wales more than other hills near me (e.g Derybshire or the lakes).

I learnt how to drink in the Benllech Hotel although that is probably nothing to be proud of as it is now a scouse hell hole.
Spent the evening watching all of series 2. Just upto eposide 7 now. A very interesting series which is about far more than just railways. It has taught me a lot about Britain I never knew.
Latest Forum Posts