Non-motoring > "Going digital" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 38

"Going digital" - L'escargot
Our area will be going digital this summer. At the moment we have an analogue television coupled to a recorder which has Freeview built in. What, if anything, is likely to happen to our television reception when our area goes digital?
 "Going digital" - borasport
The analogue signal will be turned off, so you won't be able to recieve anything direct through the TV, but you should still be able to view Freeview through the recorder
 "Going digital" - Old Navy
You will have to use your recorder as a tuner and your TV as its screen. You will not be able to watch one channel and record another unless you get a set top box to act as the TV tuner.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Jan 11 at 13:58
 "Going digital" - Bigtee
Don't panic like many have and splashed out on a new aerial ours works just fine from the loft as it has done the past 30 years.
>> Don't panic like many have and splashed out on a new aerial ours works just
>> fine from the loft as it has done the past 30 years.
>>

Our aerial is in the loft. We get good reception on all Freeview channels even though the aerial is an old fashioned analogue one. Aren't all Freeview channels except the five terrestrial ones already digital?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 15 Jan 11 at 14:15
 "Going digital" - Bigtee
Your aerial is not really anolouge it's a receiving instrument the tv is anolouge so as you can receive everything just fine through either the set top box or built in freeview through the tv no worries.

The panic set in when a new antenna was introduced and folks rushed out and spent £££ on one as you will see yours works just fine as does ours.
>> Your aerial is not really anolouge it's a receiving instrument ..........

Delete the word analogue in my description. I should have just said that our aerial is old fashioned ~ it's at least 15 years old. Fortunately we're close to the transmitter.
>> Your aerial is not really anolouge ..............

You're right. It's a Yagi aerial. www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051054
>> Our aerial is in the loft. We get good reception on all Freeview channels even
>> though the aerial is an old fashioned analogue one.

There is no such thing as a digital aerial, it's marketing bull excrement.
 "Going digital" - Bigtee
There is no such thing as a digital aerial, it's marketing bull excrement.

Thats what i was saying.lol....
 "Going digital" - Stuartli
Depending on the age of the aerial, if it's a narrowband type then you will have to buy a new (wideband) aerial to receive all, rather than most, of the digital channels.

"Going digital" - spamcan61
>> Depending on the age of the aerial, if it's a narrowband type then you will
>> have to buy a new (wideband) aerial to receive all, rather than most, of the
>> digital channels.
>>
Depends where you are, last time I checked around 30% of regions were staying 'in group' so no new aerial required, but they do keep changing things round, contradictory information abounds.

Unfortunately if you're receving TV from a repeater rather than a main transmitter then the best aerial in the world isn't going to get you all the channels as, post DSO, repeaters are only carrying some of them.
>> You will not be able to watch one channel and record another unless you
>> get a set top box to act as the TV tuner.
>>

We can't do that anyway. If we set the recorder to record, it automatically switches the TV to that channel at the start of the programme. We've got a redundant set-top box. Are you saying that we could have both the recorder and the set top box connected to the TV?
>> Are you saying that we could have both the recorder and the set
>> top box connected to the TV?
>>

Yes. You should be able to select which you watch in the "input" menu.

Think of your recorder as a TV without a screen, as is a set top box.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 15 Jan 11 at 14:22
>> >> Are you saying that we could have both the recorder and the set
>> >> top box connected to the TV?
>> >>
>>
>> Yes

Do I make the connections from the set top box to the TV just the same as if there was no recorder?

>> You should be able to select which you watch in the "input" menu.

I'll have to look for the "input menu". The instruction manual for the recorder has 84 pages!

>> Think of your recorder as a TV without a screen, as is a set top
>> box.
>>
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 15 Jan 11 at 14:31
>> Do I make the connections from the set top box to the TV just the
>> same as if there was no recorder?
>>
>> >> You should be able to select which you watch in the "input" menu.
>>
>> I'll have to look for the "input menu". The instruction manual for the recorder has
>> 84 pages!

The TV instructions should show how to connect up the various boxes. The input should be selected on the TV, all you are doing is selecting which socket on the back of the TV it is taking its input from.
 "Going digital" - ....
>> What, if anything, is likely to happen to our television reception when our area goes
>> digital?
>>
You might have to upgrade your TV aerial and depending on the recorder with built in Freeview you may not be able to modify the aspect ratio. Your TV will be 4:3, for best results the use of a 16:9 widescreen television is preferable as most UK digital TV channels now transmit their programming in 16:9 format.
>> You might have to upgrade your TV aerial and depending on the recorder with built
>> in Freeview you may not be able to modify the aspect ratio. Your TV will
>> be 4:3, for best results the use of a 16:9 widescreen television is preferable as
>> most UK digital TV channels now transmit their programming in 16:9 format.
>>

We can set the aspect ratio.
 "Going digital" - Bigtee
A marketing ploy on e bay is to use your existing old fasioned "anolouge" aerial and plug a lead in this to receive on radio scanners.

So i looked into this blokes feedback he's sold loads of these wire connectors, Which are of no use as tv band is nowhere near anything worth listening to.!!

Another ploy to cash in and it worked.!!
 "Going digital" - AnotherJohnH
>> What, if anything, is likely to happen to our television reception when our area goes digital?

AFAIR, in addition to losing analogue BBC2 to start with, you'll need to retune your digital receiver(s).

Then you'll have to retune again when the process is complete (DSO 2)

The process is a bit more involved than you'd expect it to be.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Sat 15 Jan 11 at 20:47
Those who live in an area where Freeview reception is a bit hit and miss should find things improve substantially, as the transmitter's digital power output will be consideraby higher.

In fact we got a lot more programmes (mainly those for North Wales) during the retuning; in our case re-tuning once more, but this time only inserting the TV aerial lead just before Channel 54 came up (the start of the four HD channels) meant that only stations required were configured.

This is the information for my transmitter, Winter Hill, which before the switchover was the second most powerful analogue transmitter in the UK:

www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SD660144
 "Going digital" - Chris S
I've still got an old black & white portable TV under the stairs.

Would that still work if it was connected to a digital receiver?
 "Going digital" - Tooslow
If it's 625 yes, but I'm just waiting for you to say it's 405!
John
Provided the digital receiver has an RF modulator so that the telly can be tuned into it then yes - I'm assuming the B&W telly doesn't have a SCART!..oh and assuming it is 625 line as already pointed out.
I've decided I don't understand the full meaning of "Freeview". Does it refer to an appliance's ability to convert digital signals into analogue? If that's the case, why do digital TVs claim to be Freeview?
 "Going digital" - Bigtee
Freeview = Free viewing. no subscription to pay like sky.

However having had sky 13 years and got freeview too sky is a much better option for me more interesting stuff on.

The freeview box receives in digital just like the sky box.

>>Freeview = Free viewing. no subscription to pay like sky.>>

You mean, of course, unlike Sky (except for its own Free to Air - FTA - service)...:-)

www.sky.com/shop/tv/free-to-air-channels/
>>Does it refer to an appliance's ability to convert digital signals into analogue?>>

An appliance wouldn't be able to convert the digital signals into analogue...:-))

As stated already, it's an abbreviation of Free Viewing as is the case with FreeSat (Free Satellite programmes).
 "Going digital" - Zero
>> An appliance wouldn't be able to convert the digital signals into analogue...:-))

So what does a Set top box do then apart from converting the digital input via the aerial socket into the analogue signal sent out via the scart socket?

Freeview.

Is a band of frequencies where the new digital terrestrial (thats the aerial on your roof to you and me) and digital High Definition services are transmitted. Reception is free via your existing license.

You can receive Freeview via a set top box, a PVR connected to your old non digital TV, or a Freeview ready Digital TV with no set top box.

Freesat

Essentially the same as Freeview, but delivered to you via a satelite in the sky and to your dish. You need a freesat set top box/pvr or a freesat ready TV

Sky,

Digital Satelite, You need a sky box, and a sky card and a dish. Some services are free (the basic ITV and BBC ones, most you pay and arm and two legs for.
>>So what does a Set top box do then apart from converting the digital input via the aerial socket into the analogue signal sent out via the scart socket?>>

Zero, you should know of all people that an appliance is a washing machine, cooker etc...:-)
 "Going digital" - Suppose
>> Zero, you should know of all people that an appliance is a washing machine, cooker
>> etc...:-)
>>

An appliance is a liance made by Apple. :-)

Last edited by: Suppose on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 15:39
>>An appliance is a liance made by Apple. :-)>>

Nice one...:-))

You got right to the core of the subject...
Analogue = subscription free terrestrial transmitted TV

Freeview = subscription free terrestrial transmitted digital TV.

Freesat = subscription free satellite transmitted TV.

Analogue and digital transmissions require different receivers, these can be built into equipment (TV or recorder) or additional receivers plugged in to a display (TV).

www.digitaluk.co.uk/

Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 13:37
 "Going digital" - Bromptonaut
Freeview is the 'brand' name for digital terrestrial television. It uses the same frequencies and range of channels as have been used since service went to colour/uhf in the sixties. However, instead of each channel carrying analogue sound and vision for one programme (eg BBC 1 on Channel 21) the channel becomes a multiplex carrying several programmes, both TV and radio, in digital format.

When UHF TV started each transmitter was allocated 4 channels. The four were carefully chosen to avoid interference in neighbouring areas but they were also all adjacent to each other. The last bit is important as the aerial works best when it's designed for a particular frequency. The original band plan assumed about 5 different types of aerial (you can tell them apart by a coloured plug in red, blue, yellow or whatever on the end of the thing) but because of the adjacency only one was needed for any given site.

The advent of Channel 5 and now digital has blown the sixties bandplan apart so that the new multiplexes will not all be on adjacent channels. Most of ours at home are in the 40-50 range but one is on 67. As we're on the edge of the transmitter's coverage the old aerial couldn't cope and we needed a hi-gain/wideband jobby. If you're nearer the mast you may get by.

In any event the actual switchover when the analogue signal gets switched off involves further swaps/changes of channel and the allocation of programmes between them, Furthermore, as mentioned up thread, once the analogue siganl is off the power of the digi channels will be increased. So, in terms of the aerial it's better to wait until after switchover is complete, see what channels you're getting and consider a new aerial at that point if you're missing any.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 17 Jan 11 at 13:42
 "Going digital" - Duncan
Is ot possible to simulate the 'going digital' thing by switching off the analogue signal now, in order to make sure that everything will work when the switch over happens for real?
>> Is ot possible to simulate the 'going digital' thing by switching off the analogue signal
>> now, in order to make sure that everything will work when the switch over happens
>> for real?
>>

Not really because, as Bromptonaut states, they're changing changing channels and power levels both pre and post DSO.
Analouge and digital are two totally different systems, you only have to switch between them.
 "Going digital" - Bromptonaut
>> Is ot possible to simulate the 'going digital' thing by switching off the analogue signal
>> now, in order to make sure that everything will work when the switch over happens
>> for real?

Not really as the analogue signal is still presnet and the digi one is transmitting at reduced power. However, if you can get a picture now using a box or a digi telly you'll probably be OK after the switchover. But if you're not getting it now my advice would be to wait and see.

I've got a digi telly downstairs working fine on the higain/wideband aerial mentioned above. The tellys upstairs are connected to the old 'narrowband' aerial. One works with a box for a limited number of channels, the other's getting nothing.

Our switchover is in April. I'll see what the boxes do after that before taking a decision on a second wideband aerial (or a distribution box and amplifier).
>>Most of ours at home are in the 40-50 range but one is on 67>>

Winter Hill's digital MUXs are in the range from 54 to 62 (providing you take care to only insert the TV aerial signal when re-tuning until just before 54, otherwise you get all the Welsh channels as well!).

Actually this can be useful sometimes, as the Welsh stations often transmit some programmes either shortly after or the following day from the national output, providing a chance to catch up.
Latest Forum Posts