Non-motoring > Varifocal Glasses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Phil F Replies: 36

Varifocal Glasses - Phil F
Hi,
After quite a few years avoiding these like the plague,I have finally taken the advise of the optician and tried a pair at vast expense!
Although they do what they say on the tin,so to speak,I have had them about 3 weeks now and am really struggling to get used to the "experience".
Anybody wear these,and found them easy to get used to?
Cheers.....Phil.
 Varifocal Glasses - -
Nope, swmbo has tried them twice, the last time last year as she was told things had improved so much...by the sales people.
She exchanged them for normal glasses again with payment adjustment under the terms of sale after a month of trying.
Seems to be worse with these narrow arrow slit fashionable lenses, trying to get her head/eyes to position for so many focus variations in so narrow a band had her frustated constantly.
Maybe with Diedre/Dreary lenses it might be better.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 11:51
 Varifocal Glasses - Ted
I got varifocals last time at a vast expense ...£450.
Hopeless, went back to my old standard distance glasses within weeks. What a waste of money. I still wear my old glasses having demoted the new ones to a drawer.
I don't like the eye test, just to read letters on the wall seems inadequate to me.
I would love them to, at least, have a window you could look out of with normal life going on outside and be asked to read a couple of number plates, some adverts on buses, etc, etc.

Another reason was that I opted for reactolites in the hope that things had moved on in technology. No chance, still walk into the garage out of the sun and wait an age for them to clear. Same with driving or biking into a tunnel.

I use cheapo readers for close work and my prescription sunglasses for driving. If it's very bright I put night driving clip-ons over them.

Having had over 25.000 laser shots for retinopathy, I find that my eyesight changes from time to time. At the moment I can read the paper without anything. Now, if I could just get an appointment to get my cataracts ripped out, I'd be a lot happier.
Think I'll phone the Eye Hospital tomorrow.

Ted
Last edited by: silence of the cams on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 16:29
 Varifocal Glasses - John H

>> I don't like the eye test just to read letters on the wall seems inadequate
>> to me.

Find another Optician who uses modern eye testing equipment in the shop.
 Varifocal Glasses - Zero
Yup, on my second pair (I bet my expense at 430 quid was vaster than yours)

Firstly you really need to have the right size of lens, dont need to be huge, but as GB says - letterboxes are a no no. Secondly you need a good dispensing optician to measure your pupil centre in the lens to ensure your transition from far to near is in the right place.

Mine are now perfect, no need to nod head up and down, eye postion is all i need to cover the full distance. Gpod for driving too, I can see the speedo AND the speed limit signs.

Still ignore both tho.
 Varifocal Glasses - henry k
Zero
Totally agree with you.
I have had Zeiss varifocals for years ( also at vast expense) but of course in non trendy frames.
The only observation I have is that the dimming option is OK but it only lasts 2/3 years.
 Varifocal Glasses - wilco
There is a learning curve on them - had my first pair about 9 months ago and for the first 3 months wore the non-varifocal spare pair all the time. Eventually persevered and now have no problem.

Varifocal Glasses - Telb
I've had these for a few years now. Fine around the house but I still can't hack it when driving - especially reversing. Luckily I'm long-sighted, so driving without them is no big deal.

Terry
Last edited by: Telb on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 13:30
 Varifocal Glasses - Bromptonaut
They are unlikley to work in fashionable letterbox frames. Mine are in as near as I can get to a RayBan aviator style and are brilliant or at least far better than glasses on/off/on/off I was doing at the desk before. No trouble driving but looking up at a stage (eg at school performances) has me doing distance throught e close focus section of the lens.

Wasn't it a discussion on varifocals in the other place and the site owners strong views on the subject that led to the deaprture of the much valued Mark of (RLBS or wherever?)
 Varifocal Glasses - henry k
>>No trouble driving but looking up at a stage (eg at school performances) has me doing distance throught e close focus section of the lens.
>>
I forget to add that in addition to my normal varifocals and spare I have a third cheap pair that have large reading only lenses. I call them my DIY glasses. These are in use when I need to do close work that is higher than eye level.
 Varifocal Glasses - Dieselfitter
On my third. As others have said, they have to be very accurately dispensed, in terms of pupil height and inter-pupil distance etc. Not all lenses are created equal! My experience is: Pentax - OK (just), Zeiss - rubbish, Kodak - the best so far. Fortunately, you are normally able to reject them up to 30 days and if you're not happy with them by then, you should.
 Varifocal Glasses - L'escargot
I found that for distance work I could only see a circular shaped area clearly, but outside of that it was fuzzy. To look in my door mirrors I had to turn my head. Reading an A4 page I could only see the middle 50% clearly and had to move my head from side to side to read the outer 25% each side. I'd hoped that the transitional area would make varifocals better for computer work than bifocals but it didn't. I went back to bifocals for normal use and had a cheap pair of single vision glasses for computer work. Apparently it's mostly vain people who choose varifocals because they don't want others to see the split line of bifocals, because needing sight correction for both reading and distance generally indicates advancing years.
Hmm - I have to differ L'e. I have a pair of bifocal sunglasses and find them pretty annoying, with the sudden quantum leap from distance to near. Only decent varifocals give you the smoothly graded correction all the way from close reading, through computer screen, to far distance. Peripheral distortion is a serious drawback, however, which is why I thought I would try tinted bifocals for summer driving.
Last edited by: Dieselfitter on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 13:52
>> close reading through computer
>> screen to far distance.

To look at a computer with my varifocals I would have needed a fine pitch screw attached to my chin in order to make the necessary small adjustments of the angle of my head.
 Varifocal Glasses - Vicar of Bray
thought it might just be mine ;-)

I have a steady supply of £3 readers coming in from amazon, to sit on and smash at will.
Last edited by: oilrag on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 14:06
>>To look at a computer with my varifocals I would have needed a fine pitch screw attached to my chin

I'm doing it right now with my varifocals on and without needing the modification you mention!

I think there a clue in the name 'varifocals' - they are very variable!
my optician may go bust. Asda are doing them for around £110
>> >>To look at a computer with my varifocals I would have needed a fine pitch
>> screw attached to my chin
>>
>> I'm doing it right now with my varifocals on and without needing the modification you
>> mention!
>>
>> I think there a clue in the name 'varifocals' - they are very variable!
>>

Mine didn't vary finely enough from distance to reading to enable me to find an angle of tilt of my head which would make them suitable for computer work.
Hi,
Thanks all for your observations so far,some very interesting stuff.
I am short sighted so I have the reverse problem that some of you have,they are ok for driving(can see the speedo etc clearly also!),except not so good in the dark I have found.
The lower section for medium and close is my issue,the peripheral distortion,as Dieselfitter said.Looking at a computer screen for example,or something closer,there is this tight focal area which is annoying.Also,looking down,a lot of the field of view is out of focus.It reminds me of sea-sickness!!
I find it hard to imagine getting used to these,despite the great bonus of not swapping glasses.Unless my brain adapts perhaps?
Cheers again,
Phil.
P.S.
I should mention I had the(supposedly?)best lenses the supplier sells,not far behind you ZERO.....
There must be a big mark up on glasses I would have thought,particularly the frames,which probably cost pence.
Phil.
i wear mine driving (sat nav) and out looking in shops. Otherwise i roam around the house and garden with the £3 specials.
I hink my optician flogged me cheap varifocal lenses at high cost - so not bothered if asda roll him over
 Varifocal Glasses - BobbyG
So have any of you considered laser surgery?
I have , loads of times, but still scares the poo out of me!!
 Varifocal Glasses - Alastairw
I did consider laser surgery. I bought a new car instead!
 Varifocal Glasses - Zero
>> >> close reading through computer
>> >> screen to far distance.
>>
>> To look at a computer with my varifocals I would have needed a fine pitch
>> screw attached to my chin in order to make the necessary small adjustments of the
>> angle of my head.

your varifocals were badly dispensed.
 Varifocal Glasses - Zero
> Apparently it's mostly vain people who choose varifocals

Thats a really stupid remark, you seem to be making a trademark of that lately.
>> > Apparently it's mostly vain people who choose varifocals
>>
>>
>>
>> Thats a really stupid remark you seem to be making a trademark of that lately.
>>

It's not my theory, it's what I read somewhere. That's why I put "apparently". Don't get so touchy AE. If you don't like something I say, all you have to do is ignore it. That's what I do.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 16:00
>> > Apparently it's mostly vain people who choose varifocals
>>

May have been true when they first came out. They go beyond bifocals in offering transition from distant to close via middle. As such they're widely recomended for computer use and I got a significant contribution from my employer on that basis.
 Varifocal Glasses - John H
>>
>> Anybody wear these and found them easy to get used to?
>> Cheers.....Phil.
>>

Have a look at the Varilux demo on their website. Until I tried their lenses, I too found it difficult to get used to the experience. Now my vision is focussed seamlessly from near to far. As Zero said, it is essential that the centres of the lenses are aligned accurately with your pupil distance.
 Varifocal Glasses - JohnM{P}
I've had varifocals for over 10 years - I'm short sighted (-6 ish) with a bit of astigmatism.
I have found that they have to be set up correctly, otherwise I get a tight feeling across the forehead and/or I cannot see properly. As said before, the centre of the lenses must be in front of your pupils - not just a question of altering the frame's nosepads, but also check if the dispenser or glazier has not noted if you are a 'Prophet' (one eye's 'igher than the other..) and has made them with level centres. The tilt angle of the lenses away from the face I have also found to have a significant affect.
After many years with Zeiss lenses, I changed to Varilux - they claimed that 80% of users found their new ones to be an improvement. Unfortunately, it turned out that I was one of the 20% who didn't - 1 year later, I insisted on changing back to Zeiss and the relief when I put them on was immediate, so you may consider changing lens manufacturer.

My reading adjustment has gradually increased so now I notice that there is a small 'sweet spot' for reading, particularly in poor light - when I next change, I will be looking for a deeper pair of frames, which I suspect will help.

Regarding distortion, many years ago (before the need for varifocals), I stumped up the extra for thinner lenses; the new ones were flat fronted, with most of the curvature on the back surface. These had much less side distortion; I could see images in the rear view mirror clearly without having to move my head. As with most things, everything being equal, the more you pay the better the quality. However, there are some very expensive opticians out there...
 Varifocal Glasses - Zero
Heres a thought. many people have the computer monitor too high. I have been a vdu and monitor user for 30 years and have found that the best postion is with the top of the screen level with my eyes. That way

a: you dont tilt your head back, compressing the neck vertabrae
b: for us varifocal users the screen is always in or near the sweet spot with no head movement.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 18 Mar 10 at 09:52
Zero,

That's exactly what my H&S manual for computer risks says about postioning.
Hi all,
Thanks again for all your replies.
John H......The optician has fitted Varilux Physio lenses according to the receipt,so based on your experience,this could be good or bad!
As several of you have pointed out,dispensing/fitting seems to be very important.I have no reason to think mine are not correct but may pop back to opticians to double check.
They are very much a compromise aren't they?Depends if the plusses out way the minuses.
Cheers...Phil.
Having the top of the screen level with your eyes is H&S advice, but doesn't work for varifocal wearers. Positioning it thus means with an upright head you are looking at the screen through the mid-distance part of the lens; to read the screen, you therefore have to tilt you head back. I find having the screen/laptop lower is preferable, as I am then looking through the lowest reading part with a more upright head (caused a few discussions with the H&S people at work, until they understood my reasoning!). Learning to touch type would be a greater help...
 Varifocal Glasses - Zero
>> Having the top of the screen level with your eyes is H&S advice but doesn't
>> work for varifocal wearers.

Works for me and my varifocals. Your experience suggests you have your screen too close.
>> Having the top of the screen level with your eyes is H&S advice but doesn't
>> work for varifocal wearers.

Works for me too. Varifocals for use with display screen equipment should have a 'sweet spot' for middle distance use (though many users can also manage through the distance segment. The lowest segment shoud be for close stuff like reading.
I've just checked - the distance from my glasses to the laptop screen whilst typing is about the same as to an Argos catalogue on my lap at 22inches, so what I wrote makes sense for me; perhaps I'm taller in the body than you or have a different type/mix/strength of prescription or need deeper glasses... I will discuss this at my next eye-test.

There are variants of varifocals for desk based people where the prescription is biased towards middle and near distance, but these are not recommended for distance vision.

I was told that the earlier you change to varifocals after reading starts becoming difficult, the easier it is to get used to them. I am happy with them (except for the cost, £400+ for lenses only!), but I know others who prefer bifocals. Give them a chance and do consult your optician if you are not happy before giving up. Once you need reading adjustment to regular glasses, all options (eg varifocal, bifocal, 2 pairs of galsses, contact lenses lus reading glasses, etc) have advantages and disadvantages unfortunately; what works for one may not be the best for another.
 Varifocal Glasses - Zero
My PC screen is 32 inches away from my eyes, and a book in my lap (held at a comfortable viewing angle) is 19 inches away.
Latest Forum Posts