Non-motoring > Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - henry k
Cable TV is wanted by tenants that are about to rent my daughters third floor (conversion) flat.
The area is served by Virgin. From what I can see, there has in the past been cable TV in the flat. The cable goes up the front of the building and via a hole drilled through the brick wall to a box just on the inside in an alcove adjacent to the chimney brest.

The main TV will be in the lounge at the back of the property.
I am assuning some sort of cable will need to be run from the existing box to theTV site.

I see two requirements. The first is to in effect extend the inside termination so the box is further into the room and always accessible. I would envisage the alcove being filled with a fitted wardrobe at a later date. I guess a small access flap inside the wardrobe might be required to check the extension joint.
The second requirement is to get from the front bedroom to the rear wall of the rear room.
The only realistic cable routing is up and over through the loft.
I cannot see a cable monkey wanting to dance in the loft so...
Is it normal coax ( I have a whole reel of that ) or higher grade coax that is required from box to TV ?

The building managent company want letters etc re drilling another hole is the building and that costs time and money so want to avoid all that and use what exists.
 Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - Zero
Its regular 75ohm satelite TV coax, with regular F connectors.
 Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - AnotherJohnH
... and in addition to regular rental payments, regular cable subscription payments.
 Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - car4play
Use WF100 cable.
The cheap stuff will probably work ok but for the sake of a tenner more a roll go for the properly sheilded stuff (foil and not some thin braid). If you are going to make the effort in running the cable, don't skimp on it.

You can join it and connect it to satellite and other boxes using F connectors. It is better to run it straight into an appliance without having a wall socket termination. i.e. leave the cable with enough length to get into whatever device you have - purely because you want to minimise losses. As I understand it, sockets can be quite lossy. OTOH the straight F connectors don't lose very much at all.
 Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - henry k
I am about to get rid of our ancient TVs and go up market with high spec models.
The Panasonic TXL32D25B is the one that I have in mind ( so few have Freeview HD ) and my excellent local repair man said go Panasonic even though he said they go wrong very very infrequently.

So I will probably replace our existing coax etc and a reel of quality cable will be purchased.
It would be silly spending out on good TVs and have a rubbish signal.
Looking at what cable is around - Coax, RG6 WF100 and yet another which seems to be top of the list FT125.
Anyone used FT125 ?
 Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - Zero

>> It would be silly spending out on good TVs and have a rubbish signal.
>> Looking at what cable is around - Coax, RG6 WF100 and yet another which seems
>> to be top of the list FT125.
>> Anyone used FT125 ?

Absolutley no need. This is digital you are dealing with now. Unless you have complex long runs, your standard 75 tv coax is grand.
 Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - Bellboy
i find diggitoll more susceptible to electrical spasms than the old wind up so i might be inclined to go the full foil if running near mains wires fridgids etc

only my tuppenth wurth
 Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - AnotherJohnH
The 100, 125 number on the cable translates to 1mm or 1.25 mm inner

The 1.25 might be a squeeze into your belling-lee connector.

If you're after a lot of low loss cable the screwfix pf100 isn't bad, and foil and braid screened.

tinyurl.com/5tjqudm

Mind your fingers on the foil, it's like a razor blade.

You might want to run a CAT5 cable for the tele too, as it may be i-player capable.
 Cable TV. Routing cable inside a property. - Fursty Ferret
Plug it in and see if it works before recabling the place. Most TVs have a signal strength and quality indicator.
Latest Forum Posts