Non-motoring > Minimum Alcohol Pricing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 22

Minimum Alcohol Pricing - PhilW
Can someone enlighten me as to where I can buy a bottle of wine for £2.03 or a bottle of whisky for £8?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12212240
More seriously, does anyone think that this will have any effect on binge drinkers or is it just a sneaky way for our esteemed Gov to introduce legislation which will enable them to set the minimum price at a much higher price in the near future (like min of £10 for bottle of wine and £25 for whisky) when these new minimums have no effect?
If drunks in the street are such a problem, why not arrest them for being drunk and disorderly like they did in the old days? (many years ago, a mate was done for this and was fined £2 in court, when beer was about 9p a pint. That didn't hurt as much as the admonishment he got from his Dad!!)
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Suppose
>> Can someone enlighten me as to where I can buy a bottle of wine for
>> £2.03 or a bottle of whisky for £8?

Aldi? Lidl? Netto?

Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Kevin
>> Can someone enlighten me as to where I can buy a bottle of wine for
>> £2.03 or a bottle of whisky for £8?

>Aldi? Lidl? Netto?

House of Commons bar?
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - RattleandSmoke
I thought the same thing. I don't really get the point other than it will increase the price of nasty crap like White Lightening. The alchoholics will still buy it, they will just steal more money or eat less food to pay for it.

I do drink as I am sure most people here know but I think 60p a can is a better level.

The clubing scene has certainly changed in the past five years for the good. Five years ago it was all about getting the punters drunk for as cheap as possible but with a high entrance fee. Lately there has been a trend for much cheaper entrance fees but higher beer prices which I much prefer.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Stuartli
The problem with such measures is that the vast majority suffer for the OTT behaviour of a comparatively small minority.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Harleyman
I wonder if BOGOF offers will be affected?

Personally I doubt it; although theoretically it could be argued that the average price per can might bring the individual cost below the minimum level.

Whatever happens it will not dent Tescoply's profits. Nor will it do anything to prevent the death of the traditional British pub.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Dave_
>> increase the price of ... White Lightening

Today's Netto leaflet has it at £2 for 4 cans... but also the (slightly) less nasty Carlsberg at £10 for 20 cans. They're also doing "Marquis" brandy at, yes, £8 a 70cl bottle next week. (Max 4 per customer).

Now I like to pay a bargain price for my drink, but even I would wonder about paying much less than £3 for a bottle of wine in the UK.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Tue 18 Jan 11 at 22:51
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - RattleandSmoke
Personaly I would be more than happy to pay £1 for a can. I can see if the minimum prices were higher it would wipe out the budget market completly.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Zero
I dont see loads of kids getting drunk on two quid wine. Specially when you can get hammered on 8 quid vodka.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Dave_
The litter around here suggests they drink the premium stuff at £4 for 4 cans. Surprising really as this is a fairly deprived area - we have all the discounters in town but only a Morrisons big supermarket.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Tue 18 Jan 11 at 23:12
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Bigtee
£7.00 for 8 cans of stella at Morrisons tonight 440ml as i know i bought them and they are going down very well mixed with a few cider and blackcurrent which up here is called Diesel.

Will we have a problem will we heck back 12 years ago a guy at work regular went to France and was selling crates of stella for £13.00 then much cheaper than the supermarket, This country will whack up the prices Europe will sell it cheap & the Beer runs into Europe via the Sun newspaper will be back for a £1.00 a day trip.

What will we gain nothing but dodgy dealings again, leave it as it is and the supermarkets are flogging lots of the stuff.

By all means put it up a slight bit as they always do but to whack it up a waste of time, like the fuel prices Diesel with blackcurrent is Red just like the diesel we "may" be driving will be if it carrys on.!!
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Ted
I think Lidl do a whiskey under £8, but it's only just. £7.75 or something. 5 bob's not going to bother a binger but I haven't heard of bingers taking a bottle of Lidl out with them on a night's thrash.
I wondered, when I saw the news, what was the point of it all ?
Min for a litre of Vodka...£10 72 ? I'm happy with that !

Just another mad scheme totry and hit everyone.........but probably wont make diddly squat difference.

Ted
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - PhilW
These are arrest figures by Met Police for Drunk and Disorderly for last 10 years
2001 - 12138
2002 - 11915
2003 - 11069
2004 - 9688
2005 - 6541
2006 - 5718
2007 - 5142
2008 - 5149
2009 - 5232
2010 - 4516

So is binge drinking and increasing problem?
>> These are arrest figures by Met Police for Drunk and Disorderly for last 10 years

>> So is binge drinking and increasing problem?

No. the figures show a lack of proactive policing.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Suppose
>> arrest figures by Met Police for Drunk and Disorderly for last 10 years

>> binge drinking and increasing problem?

No correlation between the two.

For starters, arrest figures for particular crimes are driven by politically set targets for those various crimes, and availability of police cells/resources, - to name just two factors which affect these figures.
Last edited by: Suppose on Tue 18 Jan 11 at 23:43
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - CGNorwich
I think the statistics you quote may show the reluctance of the met, and other forces, to arrest drunks rather than any reduction in the drinking problem. The NHS figures for admissions for alcohol related disease show quite the opposite.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - smokie
So, who gets the extra revenue? Windfall for the retailer, or does the taxman benefit?
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Bromptonaut
As proposed , the retailer.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - rtj70
>> So, who gets the extra revenue? Windfall for the retailer, or does the taxman benefit?

Good question and I've wondered too. Is this just to stop some of the promotions. At the levels proposed then I cannot see it making a difference.

In the UK my current favourite beer would be Peroni. 4 x 330ml bottles are close to £5. Over the Christmas period you could get two packs for £8 - so a pound a bottle then and a little more now.

And drinking any beer that comes out of a can is wrong! :-)
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Clk Sec
>>brandy at, yes, £8 a 70cl bottle next week. (Max 4 per customer).

Will the cooks and chefs please form an orderly queue...
>> >>brandy at, yes, £8 a 70cl bottle next week. (Max 4 per customer).
>>
>> Will the cooks and chefs please form an orderly queue...

And a tot of brandy into your Summer BBQ jug of sangria gives it a little lift.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - Clk Sec
Useful for the Xmas cake, too. The cheaper the better, so I'm told.
 Minimum Alcohol Pricing - teabelly
Perhaps instead of a minimum price there should be a minimum standard of appearance that allows you to buy booze in the first place. If you look and act like a yob or a terminal drunkard then you don't get served!

Or they could shorten the licensing hours considerably so you couldn't actually buy booze apart from a few short hours a day. Make them during school hours and it will be much harder for kids to get hold of booze :)
Latest Forum Posts