Non-motoring > Bill advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 19

Bill advice - Crankcase
What do we think. My fault, not my fault, partly my fault?

Me on phone: I'd like my boiler serviced please. How much will that be?
Them: Eight five pounds.
Me: Sounds good. You're on.

Bill arrived today.

£85. Plus £12 odd for parts. Plus VAT. Total £116.

Bill advice - Zero
yours or theirs? who knows!

At least you know what questions to ask next time!
 Bill advice - Harleyman
I always ask if VAT is included. If the parts were needed as a result of a fault discovered during the service, then I'd say they're not at fault, but if it was something that would normally be changed during the service then they should have made that clear.

And what Zero said.
 Bill advice - MD
If your version of conversation is TRUE to the letter then £85.00 is all they'd get.
 Bill advice - swiss tony
>> I always ask if VAT is included. If the parts were needed as a result
>> of a fault discovered during the service, then I'd say they're not at fault, but
>> if it was something that would normally be changed during the service then they should
>> have made that clear.
>>
>> And what Zero said.
>>
You shouldn't have to ask about VAT.
The rules I was told, and use are;

Trade customer quote price less VAT
Retail customer quote price including VAT.

If unsure then I quote like this;
its £10 plus VAT, so that's £12 including....

The other thing I do, is always quote the RETAIL price, unless I know for sure the guy is really trade.... saves giving away my profit needlessly, that said, rather than lose a sale I may apply discount.....
 Bill advice - RattleandSmoke
I always thought with consumers the price quoted always has to include VAT unless stated otherwise. E.g £80 plus VAT is fine but if no VAT is mentioned then you assume it is included.

Bill advice - swiss tony
>> I always thought with consumers the price quoted always has to include VAT unless stated
>> otherwise. E.g £80 plus VAT is fine but if no VAT is mentioned then you
>> assume it is included.
>>
I believe that's right Rats, But.. people don't listen to the plus VAT bit, so I make sure I cover my behind......
 Bill advice - -
Having been caught out in years gone by i ask if any price includes VAT.

Bill advice - Crankcase
Thanks all - my suspicion was they should have told me the VAT inc price, and they certainly didn't. The conversation was short enough and recent enough for me to be sure that the above is almost verbatim, minus polite fripparies.

One of those "do I swallow it quietly, swallow it but point out gently it's not right, or thump the table" conundrums. I suppose I should have asked - certainly will next time. At least it's a few pounds, not a few hundred or worse.

Bill advice - Bellboy
If its more a trade orientated place you rarely get the inclusive price
im thinking here its to sound more competitive in austere 20% britain
 Bill advice - John H
>> One of those "do I swallow it quietly, swallow it but point out gently it's
>> not right, or thump the table" conundrums. I suppose I should have asked - certainly
>> will next time. At least it's a few pounds, not a few hundred or worse.
>>

Complain and tell Trading Standards too. It is sharp practice.
 Bill advice - RattleandSmoke
I have had the situation the other way round once. I quoted a price for say £30 and the customer was disappiointed I was not VAT registered as she could not claim the VAT back!. I explained if I was VAT registered it would have been £30 + VAT so it still would have cost you £30.

Bill advice - Clk Sec
>>£85. Plus £12 odd for parts. Plus VAT. Total £116.

Quotes for servicing a boiler in my neck of the woods vary between £80 - £120. If I was quoted £80, I would not be happy about paying £120.

What spare parts, by the way. Were you told there was a fault?
 Bill advice - Crankcase
A nozzle or some such was the spare bit, from memory.

I think I'll make a call today and express my concern, shall we say.
 Bill advice - Cliff Pope
The reason for always asking about VAT is that sometimes the item becomes VAT-free the moment you mention cash.
 Bill advice - helicopter
Be very careful Cliff - believe me it is not wise to work with those sort of companies because you have no comeback if anything goes wrong as you are an 'accessory' to VAT fraud.
 Bill advice - Crankcase
I had one of those Dent Master type outfits come to me once. Nice bloke, did a cracking job. At the end he offered me the price we had agreed, or a reduced one for cash. I said, from mischief, that as I was employed by the Revenue I wouldn't take up his offer.

I've never seen a jaw literally drop and a man go so white so fast before.

Incidentally, I admit I paid the full agreed price, but this is a failing in today's society, as has been impressed on me over and over.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 20 Jan 11 at 11:24
 Bill advice - Cliff Pope
>> Be very careful Cliff - believe me it is not wise to work with those
>> sort of companies because you have no comeback if anything goes wrong as you are
>> an 'accessory' to VAT fraud.
>>

True, but it depends on the service. I'm having a load of logs tipped today. He said he prefers cash.
 Bill advice - L'escargot
>> What do we think. My fault, not my fault, partly my fault?

Your fault, for not asking the full terms and conditions.
 Bill advice - madf
I always ask in advance for costs including VAT. And hold people to them...

Toyota in Stoke on trent are very good in that instance and hold to their quotes- even if they got it too low.
Latest Forum Posts