Non-motoring > Blue light. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 6

Blue light. - Ted

Nah, not motoring, not been chased by the fuzz, but optical blue light.

Some time ago, I bought some night driving clip-ons. They're pretty scratched and worn out now so I thought I might renew them. Instead of googling them, i googled ' anti-glare specs ' . I came up with a very interesting article by an opthalmologist explaining that a big cause of dazzle and bad contrast was caused by ' blue light '.
I do find it hard to read where there is bad contrast and bright lights give everything a slight misty effect.

Apparently, blue light dominates all other light....hence the blue sky.....and, in people like mesen, with vision problems, it can be a real problem. One of the problems with regard to it is that polaroid sunglasses have no effect on reducing it, only UV light.
Special filter glasses, yellow or orange are needed.
Three or four optical suppliers are listed and I'm going to ring a couple tomorrow. I know their aim in life is to sell their goods to me but I'm interested in what they have to offer.

So, anyone of you lot had any experience of this or used glasses made to cope with the problem. My night driving specs were yellow but nobody where I bought them mentioned blue light.

Ted
 Blue light. - rtj70
>> My night driving specs were yellow but nobody where I bought them mentioned blue light.

Without thinking too much about this or Googling.... the glasses looked yellow? And therefore won't they be filtering out blue lights?
 Blue light. - Dave_
I remember seeing a coloured, see-through sun-visor extension fitted to a car once. Something a bit like this:

bit.ly/h0L67X

Don't know if that would be of any use to you, Ted?
 Blue light. - Bellboy
they arent any good
they are only suitable to stop sun glare as they are an extension of the visor
i found this one in a car but to be frank (or dave) i would think in an accident it could do for you
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/smartiesx3/DSC03996.jpg
 Blue light. - Dog
Any help Ted? ~ www.mdsupport.org/library/blulight.html
 Blue light. - Ted

Yellow filters for blue light Rob. I did post last night but somehow it didn't arrive here !

I agree with Boybelles....I had one on something and it would never stay up. Better with a strip across the top of the screen, particularly around the mirrow. The sun always seems to hit that gap for me ! Halfords have them in different colours.

Useful link Doggo. Backs up the information I have..
Having a search for my old yellow clip-ons, not used them since I stopped wearing glasses for distance.

Ted
 Blue light. - R.P.
I remember reading in CAR a few years ago that one of the big German firms - possibly BMW were playing with a UV flood across the windscreen after dark to counter this blue light....
Latest Forum Posts