Non-motoring > Is Zero right ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 39

Is Zero right ? - R.P.
ACDRNDICG TO RSCHEEARCH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO'T MTAETR WAHT OERDR THE LTTERES IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IPROAMTNT TIHNG IS TAHT THE FRSIT AND LSAT LTTEER BE IN THE RGHIT PCLAE. TIHS IS BCUSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD AS A WLOHE. IF YOU CAN RAED TIHS, PSOT IT TO YUOR WLAL. OLNY 55% OF PLEPOE CAN
 Is Zero right ? - Bromptonaut
ITS LOOK AND SAY V POHINCS ININT?
 Is Zero right ? - RattleandSmoke
Yep because people don't read, they just skim. It is probably why I am such a poor speller, I don't actually read anything properly.
 Is Zero right ? - CGNorwich
To be pedantic 'research' has only one "C''and one "H' whichever order you care to place them in. :-)
 Is Zero right ? - Iffy
This was posted - or linked to - on here by someone a few months ago.

... cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! ...
 Is Zero right ? - devonite
I can read the ftrst and last post clearer than a lot of the "normal" posts on here! ;-)
 Is Zero right ? - Old Navy
Hopefully the pedants will argue about it amongst themselves and not bother the majority of tolerant people who realise that English is not everyones first language. Not everyone is well educated and using your education as a weapon against the less fortunate impresses no one.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 22 Jan 11 at 09:26
 Is Zero right ? - Bromptonaut
>> Hopefully the pedants will argue about it amongst themselves and not bother the majority of
>> tolerant people who realise that English is not everyones first language. Not everyone is well
>> educated and using your education as a weapon against the less fortunate impresses no one.

I'm not sure the ability to read stuff like the OP is down to education ON.

My mother spent many years teaching reading to kids who were classed, in the language of the time, as educationally sub-normal. Both her experience and academic study suggested that there are two ways people learn to read. Some learn to recognise the 'patterns' of letters in words and see the word as a whole. They grasp reading by a process of look and say and would scan and take in the OP reasonably easily. Others make up the words from the sounds of the letters & combine them to pronounce the words; phonics.

She didn't think intelligence was much of a factor, just the way individuals minds worked. Even now at 84 & retired for 25 years she got very angry over the last governments insistence that so called synthetic phonics were the magic pass to reading. In fact she reckoned them to be uncomfortably close to the so called Initial Teaching Alphabet (ITA) that left thousands of sixties kids with reading difficulties.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 22 Jan 11 at 10:46
 Is Zero right ? - swiss tony
>> In fact she reckoned them to be uncomfortably close to the so called Initial Teaching Alphabet (ITA) that left thousands of sixties kids with reading difficulties.
>>
As one who suffered ITA, I agree 110% with her.
I wouldn't say I suffer reading difficulties, but my spelling , although improved over the years, is nowhere near as good as I would like.
Most issues with my spelling involve vowels......
 Is Zero right ? - Zero

>> Most issues with my spelling involve vowels......

Yes, they are now an officially endangered species.
 Is Zero right ? - CGNorwich
>>
>> >> Most issues with my spelling involve vowels......
>>
>> Yes, they are now an officially endangered species.
>>

Mostly eaten by owels
 Is Zero right ? - swiss tony
>>
>> >> Most issues with my spelling involve vowels......
>>
>> Yes, they are now an officially endangered species.
>>
rrly? thts nu 2 me, spse u mean coz txt spk?
 Is Zero right ? - Clk Sec
>>rrly? thts nu 2 me, spse u mean coz txt spk?

txt spk seems to be similar to Speed Writing. I remember the adverts many years ago on the London underground; something along the lines of ' yl gt a gd jb' if you enrol on our correspondence course.
 Is Zero right ? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> rrly? thts nu 2 me, spse u mean coz txt spk?
>>
Congratulations, you have just earned an A-Level in Fckwt.
 Is Zero right ? - John H
>> tolerant people who realise that English is not everyones first language. Not everyone is

In my experience, those who learn English as their second language usually have a very good grasp of the rules of English grammar and spelling - although their accent and pronunciation might make it difficult for us to understand what they are saying. Spelling is problem for those who learn to speak a non-phonetic language such as English as their mother tongue and then later have to learn to spell some words in a non-intuitive way.
 Is Zero right ? - BiggerBadderDave
The eye also only reads the information from the top half of the x-height of a letter form so in theory you can place a piece of paper over the lower half of a line of text and read it as easily as if it weren't covered. But cover up the top half and it becomes unreadable.

(x-height being the height of a lower case letter that has no ascenders or descenders)
 Is Zero right ? - sherlock47
What I found interesting was that it was very easy to read the lower case missive from iffy but with the UC OP I found that I had to keep re-reading sections.

Anyone else found the same? Maybe, on reading the BBD post, it is because we are generally exposed to a greater quantity of LC over a lifetime?

Intersting to see what happens if you garble something in nonmother tongue, whether that is readable?

Iffy - did you type that, or did you find a an automatic 'translation' site?
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 22 Jan 11 at 09:44
 Is Zero right ? - Bigtee
Network rail have poster up in the stations same as that explaining where not taking abuse from passengers.

I can read the above and these posters just fine amazing.
 Is Zero right ? - Iffy
...Iffy - did you type that, or did you find a an automatic 'translation' site?...

No, it was originally posted by forum member Duncan in June:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=1647&m=29927
 Is Zero right ? - Duncan
>> ...Iffy - did you type that, >>
>> No, it was originally posted by forum member Duncan in June:
>>
>> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=1647&m=29927
>>

I thought it rang a bell!
 Is Zero right ? - Cliff Pope
>> What I found interesting was that it was very easy to read the lower case
>> missive from iffy but with the UC OP I found that I had to keep
>> re-reading sections.
>>
>> Anyone else found the same? >>

I found the exact opposite. The upper case lines were dead easy, almost as easy as reading normal words. But the lower case example had ne stopping and wondering on accasions.
 Is Zero right ? - hobby
Both the same for me, though I was surprised how easy they were to read! (It would take me far to long and use far too much brainpower to deliberately misspell this post though....) ;-)
 Is Zero right ? - Tooslow
Yes I found the upper case one dead easy to read, the lower case one more difficult. I still don't understand what "post this on your wall" means though.

John
 Is Zero right ? - John H
>> Yes I found the upper case one dead easy to read, the lower case one
>> more difficult. I still don't understand what "post this on your wall" means though.
>>

Facebook speak. see the car4play wall here
www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=323915077390#!/group.php?gid=323915077390&v=wall
 Is Zero right ? - Zero
Zero is always right, top bloke.
 Is Zero right ? - madf
>> Zero is always right, top bloke.
>>

Sounds like Tony Blair giving his excuse for invading Iraq.. "I know I was right,,,, the voice of God told me"
Talks to himself does he?

John
 Is Zero right ? - Clk Sec
>>Talks to himself does he?

Only when he's shopping in Tesco.
 Is Zero right ? - Iffy
...Only when he's shopping in Tesco...

Or watching his Sky TV.

Is Zero right ? - Zero
I get Tourettes syndrome in Tesco...
"I get Tourettes syndrome in Tesco..."

Go to ASDA, you won't be noticed.
John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Sat 22 Jan 11 at 18:00
 Is Zero right ? - Iffy
...Go to ASDA, you won't be noticed...

Ooo, saucer of milk for the supermarket snobs.

Is Zero right ? - MD
Read it without a problem.
 Is Zero right ? - AnotherJohnH
>> Read it without a problem.

Ditto.

And in answer to the subject line - almost always, yes.
 Is Zero right ? - Armel Coussine
I don't understand the title of this thread.

Zero is a careless typist and (like a full professor I know well) a poor speller. But I've never noticed any extreme garbling in his posts.

The subversion of all education, not just English but maths and history too, since the sixties by trendy, half-witted teachers and prattish politicians, under all governments, is a national disgrace and will cost this country dear. I can't understand how it has been allowed to happen.
AC is spot on. Education is highly politicised, perhaps something to do with the sort of people who are attracted to it? Meddling with a child's education for your own narrow ends, knowing that it will affect their entire life, is selfish and bordering on criminal.
John
 Is Zero right ? - R.P.
AC
Lack of imagination on my part. Zero said something a long time
ago in another debate that spelling wan't that
Important any more as long as the general
mraning was conveyed.
I am not a good speller, that combined with two finger typing and brain and fingers getting out of sync makes a spell checker essential. :-)
 Is Zero right ? - VxFan
>> I am not a good speller,

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
:-))))

Maybe I am a little better than I thought.
Latest Forum Posts