Non-motoring > Member loss Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 77

Member loss - Crankcase
I think we may have lost a member, chaps. Old Sock, in another thread. Shame if so - not as prolific a poster as some but still been here a long time and made over 300 posts. Perhaps he'll think better of it, hopefully. After all, someone rather prominent here also departed suddenly and returned.

I don't know how big the membership of the site is, or whether it's growing but I wouldn't be surprised if we still need all we can get to keep it all viable. But you can't please everyone I guess.

I've a feeling if we did one of those balloon things, where you nominate people to go, I'd be - actually not on most people's list because nobody notices me (hurrah) - but let's not do that.

Are we sanguine if members leave?

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 24 Jan 11 at 22:14
 Member loss - Bromptonaut
Another site I use regularly has coined the term 'enflouncement' to cover the actions of those who take their bat home.

We shouldn't be sanguine and perhaps an apology is owed. People often come back though.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 24 Jan 11 at 22:18
 Member loss - rtj70
Apart from the Jeremy Kyle references, I think some of what Injection Doc said was right about some people on benefit. There are many on benefit that need and deserve their payments.

Let's leave all that to the government who are making changes. We shouldn't get into politics too often on here.

Let's Old Sock comes back but it's his choice after all. We don't all have to have the same opinions all the time.

I do wonder who is being asked to give an apology? The site? Injection Doc (surely not).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 24 Jan 11 at 22:25
 Member loss - Bromptonaut
rtj

It's for the member who gave offence to offer an apology, just at would be the case if you unwittingly upset someone face to face.
 Member loss - -
Old Sock hasn't left us over this i'm sure, he may well have ducked out of the thread if he felt uncomfortable which is his right.

However we are a tolerant church here, which should mean we respect each other's opinions even if we don't agree with them.

If we are only allowed to have a BBC opinion then we might as well stop discussing anything other than cars.
 Member loss - Statistical Outlier
I'm another member that I suspect is invisible to most. I'm also a very long way to the left of many of the thoughtless, insensitive, far right of the legitimate political spectrum (and sometimes right of that) opinions that have blossomed here in the last few days. In fact, I'm so far left that I'd put myself in the middle ground, although I'm no longer sure if there is a political party to represent that middle ground.

Personally I deal with the unpleasant vitriol it by not contributing to those threads. It's pointless to argue with those that just parrot the warped, zenophobic claptrap that typifies a strand of public opinion.

"The immigrants are taking our jobs". "The immigrants are coming over and taking our benefits". "The EU is stealing all our money".

Well yes, in isolation any of those points can be made and supported with a selection of factoids. But have any of you noticed how the immigrants are actually willing to do the jobs that the lazy British slobs think are beneath them? I have. Have any of you started a business and used any of the trading opportunities or small business support funds / services / regulations that are offered by the Govt or the EU? I have, and so far created 15 jobs on the back of them. Do any of you come into contact with the immigrant communities and see the abuses mentioned? I haven't, my only experience of benefits was that trying to claim jobseekers when I was made redundant was a horrendous experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Or, as I suspect, are you parroting what you read in whatever nasty rag you chose to look at. Probably. Still, it's a free country, and a lot of people have died so that you can. But there's a lot right in this country, something that is easy to forget until you start looking at what should be cut.

Yes, we need to get rid of perverse incentives not to work. Yes, we need to concentrate on law and order (although it has been shown again and again that draconian punishment just doesn't work), yes, money could be more efficiently spent. But, don't lose sight of what I great country we actually live in compared to almost anywhere else.
 Member loss - Stuu
There was a thread recently where I found myself someway over to the left of many, a shocker for me personally, but in the end, my beliefs and convictions are not dictated by being either left or right-wing but on an individual issue basis.

Immigration for me is just about capacity and service provision, I couldnt care less where people originate from whereas some others take a whole different view on why its bad and as the grandson of a German POW, I have heard firsthand just how unpleasent the brits can be to an immigrant, to the extent that my grandfather never used his first name outside of family so as not to draw attention to his birth country.
He liked the British funny enough and the Poles ( he was employing them in the 70's because they would do jobs British wouldnt ), it was Russians he hated with passion for what happened after the war.

I think there is a vein in here that gets a little personal sometimes and its worth taking a breath and realising that in any room there will always be a few people you disagree with.

If your view is to be accepted, you must also accept that others may hold a different view and respect that atleast politely. We dont all live the same lives but we live in the same place. A little respect all round is no bad thing.
 Member loss - Cliff Pope
Good summing up Stuo.

Frivolously though, I thought this was going to be a pscho-medical thread, or perhaps a joke about cold Scotsmen.
 Member loss - Tooslow
There is a (very) small minority who seem to take delight in deliberately needling, who parrot the same views / statements despite any evidence to the contrary, choosing and ignoring facts (don't we all to some degree?). People who are keen to attack the person rather than the arguement. I just ignore them.
John
 Member loss - Zero
>> There is a (very) small minority who seem to take delight in deliberately needling, who
>> parrot the same views / statements despite any evidence to the contrary, choosing and ignoring
>> facts (don't we all to some degree?). People who are keen to attack the person
>> rather than the arguement.

We may be small but:

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....

Damn - I'll try again

Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms

Nobody expects the C4P inquisition!

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 09:04
 Member loss - Tooslow
You can't get me, I'm in the comfy chair!

John
 Member loss - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>>
>> an almost fanatical
>> devotion to the Pope,>>
>>

Thank you. We note your devotion.
 Member loss - L'escargot
>> There is a (very) small minority ............

A prolific-posting minority of one in fact.
 Member loss - Enoughalready
I hardly post at all but do read most threads and have input where I see fit. However, this is the interweb and forums of any kind do bring people together with many different views. That's what makes it interesting. For any forum to remain interesting, members must be allowed to put their thoughts across. Some threads may go round in circles, others may end up getting locked just to stop one thread dominating the entire forum.
What I'm getting at is that people shouldn't be so bleedin sensitive. Especially on an internet forum.
 Member loss - madf
My view is simple: If my convictions are so weak I cannot stand opposing views, then that is MY problem..

Member loss - Focusless
>> My view is simple: If my convictions are so weak I cannot stand opposing views,
>> then that is MY problem..

It tends to be the way opposing views are expressed that is usually the problem.
 Member loss - madf
>> >> My view is simple: If my convictions are so weak I cannot stand opposing
>> views,
>> >> then that is MY problem..
>>
>> It tends to be the way opposing views are expressed that is usually the problem.
>>

Hmm. Maybe I have developed a thick skin to go with my thick brain ? Or maybe a sense of humour? Or tolerance? Or could not give a t#ss?
 Member loss - Old Navy
>> What I'm getting at is that people shouldn't be so bleedin sensitive. Especially on an
>> internet forum.
>>
>>

And remember that some folks are deliberately provocative to promote discussion. I doubt there are any real extremists here, this is a moderate (ed) site.
 Member loss - Iffy
...This is a moderate site...

It certainly is, and is also very heavily moderated, mostly by ourselves, but the result is the same.

I see the domestic shooting thread from yesterday was locked and has now vanished altogether - why is that?

Something about it was a bit sad because the guy couldn't see his wife and kids?

So it would have been alright to talk about it if he'd used the sawn-off to rob a bank, and only traumatised bank workers and customers?

Muddled thinking, and what does the OP think?

Chief Superintendent (sorry about the demotion earlier, sir) Woodster started the thread as a dig at the anti-police sentiment around here.

He, and the other coppers on the site, could be forgiven for thinking pro-police sentiment is officially frowned upon.
 Member loss - Zero
Oh!

I see I am being blamed for the defection of a member, even tho he and I were in agreement over the matter he took exception to.

So be it.

Member loss - Armel Coussine
I can't find Old Sock's flouncement, but I'm sorry it has occurred. His posts are gentle, rational and very restrained. What thread was it in?

Surely he can't have taken offence at some piece of provocation from Zero? His fundamental attitudes seem pretty humane to me, but he enjoys jumping out at people and poking them in the ribs.

I'm rational and humane too, but I sometimes get irritated and rude. I have had to apologise or withdraw remarks several times.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 10:46
 Member loss - Iffy
Old Sock's dummy hit the forum floor here:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=4746&m=103824

"It about time the system was sorted instead of us subsidising all these scroungers"
Sorry, Doc, but that - and the 'stuff Johnny Foreigner' sentiment aired elsewhere - has been the last straw.
Nice 'knowing' you, chaps, but I shall bid you adieu....."

So injection doc's remarks were the last straw, but I like to think my posts about leaving the EU and controlling immigration were part of what Old Sock meant by 'stuff Johnny Foreigner sentiment'.

Much as I would like to take any opportunity to blame Zero for anything, the facts don't allow it in this case. :)

Member loss - helicopter
Much as I would like to take any opportunity to blame Zero for anything, the facts don't allow it in this case. :)

Oh go on and blame him iffy ..... you know you want to......

and anyway ,when did the facts ever get in the way of a good C4play thread argument?
 Member loss - Stuu
Zero is a hard hitter, but I suspect far softer than he wants to appear, hence the over compensating.
There are actually some more extreme views held which are more subtley put and I dont think picking on 'he who shouts loudest' is wise, Zero loves the attention, but in this case, its not deserved.
 Member loss - Old Navy
Posters attention seeking, now thats a whole new ball game.
 Member loss - Fenlander
>>>Posters attention seeking, now thats a whole new ball game.

:-)
Thanks iffy.

How odd though. People are often a bit crude about complex issues with emotional charge. I am myself sometimes.
 Member loss - Iffy
...Thanks iffy...How odd though...

AC,

Like you, I thought Old Sock was a steady away guy, so am surprised he's taken the cream puff.

I hope he comes back.

There's no one on here I wish wasn't here.

Of course, it matters not what I think in that respect, people are free to come and go as they please.

Member loss - Old Navy
Having spent most of my working life in the armed forces I do not have thick skin, I have Rhino hide.

The sensitive posters should remember that you don't get sticks and stones on a forum.
 Member loss - Fenlander
Sorry I'm another who can't really see the perceived issue with Zero's posts. His edgy stuff is easy to shrug your shoulders at and move on. His good stuff is really good. Still owe him big time over broadband/PC issue advice... even the £65 saving on the DAB radio I'm listening to at the moment is down to his efforts.

Member loss - Mapmaker
>> Sorry I'm another who can't really see the perceived issue with Zero's posts. His edgy

What's this perceived issue? Somebody who tells it like it actually is?

(On another matter there is a young poster on here who - having received some tough love - resolved to change his life. How's the life change going?)
 Member loss - Tooslow
You're not a proper member until youve been insulted by Zed & AC. AC does it with such class that you have to think twice. Zed can get a bit more heated but he simply stands his ground. I don't think either are provocative or personal, though as others have said, I just stay out of the daffier arguments, so I'm no expert.

John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 12:07
 Member loss - bathtub tom
>>You're not a proper member until youve been insulted by Zed & AC.

Oh dear, I wonder if I've been and not noticed.

Is that an insult to Zed & AC? ;>)

>> Oh dear, I wonder if I've been and not noticed.

Harrumph... want some, do you? Eh? Eh?
 Member loss - Old Navy
>> Harrumph... want some, do you? Eh? Eh?
>>

You sound like a yappy rat sized dog AC. :-)
 Member loss - Iffy
...I don't think either are provocative or personal...

And in common with most on here, neither holds a grudge.

I've had some spats with Zero, but the guy will answer a question of mine in computer-related as if nothing's ever happened.

Which is how it should be.

Member loss - BobbyG
Yeah but you are a brave man if you follow those instructions, especially the bit that says "delete all" :)
 Member loss - Zero
Yeah what is apple speak for "format c:...Y...."
 Member loss - L'escargot
>> You're not a proper member until youve been insulted by Zed & AC. AC does
>> it with such class that you have to think twice.

I've done a forum search for AC and drawn a blank.
 Member loss - R.P.
I've done a forum search for AC and drawn a blank.

Armel Coussine
 Member loss - Alanovich
>> I think there is a vein in here that gets a little personal sometimes and its worth taking a >> breath and realising that in any room there will always be a few people you disagree with.

>> A little respect all round is no bad
>> thing.

Stu, you might want to heed those words next time you feel like calling someone "mindless" for holding a different opinion to you.
 Member loss - Stuu
True, depends what the subject matter is though. If I did cause genuine upset, then I apologise.
 Member loss - Alanovich
Thanks.
 Member loss - Alanovich
I disppeared for 6 months or so (can't be bothered to check how long exactly), due to the same reasons Old Sock seems to have jacked it in, in conjunction with some exceedingly serious personal issues. Reading and contributing to some of the threads on here was seriously adding to the stress I was under and I'm pleased that I was able to switch off from it for a while.

I hope Old Sock finds a better place for him to share his interest in motors and wish him all the best.

I am enjoying being back here, but I still find some of the content from some contributors distasteful in the extreme.

Member loss - madf
AFter having been threatened with serious GBH in a petrol station in Stoke by a man who was dressed as a BNP member, I find the comments on here pale into insignificance...
 Member loss - -
>> AFter having been threatened with serious GBH in a petrol station in Stoke by a
>> man who was dressed as a BNP member,

Please do tell us that the swastika is worn on the right arm, and that jackboots are well polished.
 Member loss - Mapmaker
>> I am enjoying being back here, but I still find some of the content from
>> some contributors distasteful in the extreme.

My suspicion is that if one finds other contributors' contributions distasteful in the extreme then other people will find one's own contributions distasteful.
 Member loss - helicopter
I regularly travel abroad and so can be out of contact for weeks at a time so I tend to hover in and out and usually try and avoid what I term the claptrap threads.

It is a pointless exercise trying to win an argument on a forum such as this and in particular against some members who have more time at their disposal.......

....mentions no ( that is zero ) names :0)

Member loss - Pat
What have you all been up to?

I go away for two days, a thread has been deleted, a forum member has left in a huff...what did you do to him?:)
I gather Zero had something to do with it all >>runs for cover< AC wouldn't, I know that:)

Old Sock will be back when he calms down and sees things a bit more clearly.
We all tend to forget just what may be going on in others lives apart from them posting on here. If we knew, there may be a lot we wouldn't say.
On the other hand it's sometimes nice to post on here as *normal* despite what's going on in the background and I for one wouldn't have it any other way.
The problem is that can make an innocent remark appear to be a deeply personal slight against someone when it wasn't intended to be.
The secret is to fight back, and to keep fighting back and eventually you gain respect.
Mapmaker and myself can vouch for that:)

Now, I'm back as the peacemaker of the forum, so best behave yourselves again!

Pat
 Member loss - Runfer D'Hills
I can't think of anything more traumatic than loss of a member. I wouldn't like it at all.
 Member loss - Bellboy
or one digit inflation
i always prefer 2 digits
 Member loss - Stuu
Mothers home. Behave children.
 Member loss - Pat
Miss pda to you Stu, if you don't mind:)

Pat
 Member loss - Zero
I was cleared of all charges in this thread I'll have you know Miss Whiplash.
 Member loss - R.P.
Even iffy turned up in a whistle to speak in his defence !
 Member loss - Zero
Yeah, and even then I was cleared.
 Member loss - Iffy
...Even iffy turned up in a whistle to speak in his defence !...

Yeah, ill-fitting, and with what looked like a bit of breakfast on his tie, but the thought was there.

I think the next one for pat's in-tray is to get Stu to cough his new car.

We need to know.

Member loss - Pat
I'm working on it.....I could have almost have gone past his drive and had a quick look this morning!

Pat
Get him to come and valet your truck ! Might cost a bob or two but we could organise a whip round I suppose.
 Member loss - Stuu
You could but its not there :-)
 Member loss - Bellboy
not broken already???????????????????????????/
;-)
 Member loss - Stuu
Nope but its a little way away and cant get a lift till next week.
 Member loss - Bigtee
Miss pda for moderator i say you get my vote.!! xxx

We need a womens perspective on things rather than all male.!!
 Member loss - Iffy
...We need a womens perspective on things...

Lasses can't even understand the offside rule.

Member loss - madf
Lol

I wish I wore armoured underwear and stab proof vests like one member...
 Member loss - swiss tony
>> ...We need a womens perspective on things...
>>
>> Lasses can't even understand the offside rule.
>>
Iffy..... your SACKED!! ;-)
 Member loss - R.P.
....and tuck your own shirt in ....! :-)
 Member loss - Bellboy
what is the offside rule anyway?
dammed if i know
double dammed if i care
next...............................
 Member loss - R.P.
My wife understands it - which is more than I care to !
 Member loss - bathtub tom
>>Mothers home.

Only one generation out. ;>)
 Member loss - Old Navy
Feeling brave Tom? :-)
 Member loss - R.P.
That's why I kept quiet.
I get enough variety of perpectives elsewhere. At least I can come here, have a decent row and not have to buy flowers or hug anyone afterwards.

:-)
 Member loss - Stuu
I think Zero wants a hug, thats why he is acting out. Bless.
 Member loss - Pat
Now then tubby tommy, don't get them started on that again:)

At the end of this week I'm going to teach 15 lorry drivers how to tie a dolly knot and strap up a load. Can you imaging the flak I'm going to get about bondage and burn marks?:)

If I can handle that, I can handle you lot but I wouldn't want to be a moderator for various reasons.

The main one is that they have to work to guidelines from above and that what you see from them may not necessarily be their own opinion.
What you see is what you get with me and toeing the party line really isn't an option!

I will always fight the case for the underdog, whether I agree or not, and it's got me in trouble so many times but I would be letting the underdog down if I wasn't 'allowed' to do that, in my book.

I've got the best of both worlds really.
I can come on here with the voice of reason, affectionately tell you all off and you let me do it:)
Not only that, you usually listen too!

Pat
 Member loss - Tooslow
You'd have to get one of them Bilberries too so you can an eye on them when you're out and about.
John
 Member loss - Mapmaker
>> I will always fight the case for the underdog, whether I agree or not, and
>> it's got me in trouble so many times but I would be letting the underdog

I presume "peacemaker" was ironic. "Piecemaker" more like.
 Member loss - Pat
There, you do listen:)

I took the laptop and dongle with me but a rather nice bottle of wine on Monday evening got in the way of checking the forum!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 13:00
Latest Forum Posts