Non-motoring > Nice self-control. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 14

Nice self-control. - Ted

Just got this email from a pal.
Don't know if it's true, but it makes good reading......

For all Who Work With Rude Customers, shame WE can't
actually do this !
An award should go to the Virgin Airlines desk attendant in Sydney some months ago for being smart and funny, while making her point, when confronted with a passenger who probably deserved to fly as cargo.
A crowded Virgin flight was cancelled after Virgin's 767s
had been withdrawn from service. A single attendant was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travellers. Suddenly an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk.
He slapped his ticket down on the counter and said, 'I HAVE to be on this flight and it HAS to be FIRST CLASS'..

The attendant replied, 'I'm sorry, sir. I'll be happy to
try to help you, but I've got to help these people first and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out.'

The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that thpassengers behind him could hear, 'DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?'

Without hesitating, the attendant smiled and grabbed her
public address microphone:
'May I have your attention please, may I have your attention please,' she began - her voice heard clearly throughout the terminal - 'we have a passenger here at Desk 14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him find his identity, please come to Desk 14.'
With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically,
the man glared at the Virgin attendant, gritted his teeth and said, 'F... You!'

Without flinching, she smiled and said, (I love this bit) ' I'm aorry, sir. but you'll have to get in line for that as well '

Ted
 Nice self-control. - Manatee
I think my favourite of these stories is

"I'm sorry but that flight's been cancelled..."

"Does that apply to first class as well?"
 Nice self-control. - WillDeBeest
I don't know if this is any guide to its veracity but the first time I heard this story the characters were Oscar Wilde and the policeman who came to take him to Reading Gaol. Some details may have changed since then.

Intriguingly, I've also seen Gerard Hoffnung's 1959 Oxford Union anecdote about the barrel of bricks reworked into a viral email purporting to be a hilariously far-fetched insurance claim. Perhaps there really are only seven stories and we're doomed to keep rehashing them till the end of time.
 Nice self-control. - hobby
I only wish we could do that...

Though first class passengers do seem to have their own little view of the world which doesn't usually bear any resemblance to everyone elses... Along the line of "We're 2 minutes late, I'll miss my connection"... to which I replied "They are every 5 minutes from that station so you'll be ok" (true, as it happens!)... he came back "But I'll miss my connection"... to which "Which one of them?"

Sometimes you just can't win...
 Nice self-control. - Netsur
Once flew back from Nice just after the Monaco F1. My Easyjet flight was cancelled and my insurance paid for Club Class on BA. What a bunch of wallies on club class. Ignorant morons who wont talk to even say hello. The children who cannot behave and the parents who think the nanny should deal with it.

Give me cattle class on short haul any day.

Long haul - I'll take my chances!
 Nice self-control. - R.P.
I trod on the toes of a self important little squirt (ex-TV presenter) that tried to elbow his way to the front of a queue at PC World.
 Nice self-control. - rtj70
As a teenager I was at the filming of a BBC (?) programme called 'That Uncertain Feeling' (Kingsley Amis). Won't bore anyone why I was there but it was classic car related for us. And around 1985?

We got to eat from the catering truck with everyone and most actors queued. A few didn't and pushed in. One was Denis Lawson.... Can't even spell his own name :-) Suppose he was in Star Wars films and well known. Nice Sunday roast off the back of the catering trucks though.
 Nice self-control. - Alanovich
>> I trod on the toes of a self important little squirt (ex-TV presenter) that tried
>> to elbow his way to the front of a queue at PC World.
>>

I had a similar experience in a very crowded pub in Richmond (London one) once, on a Saturday evening. I had been queuing patiently at the bar for ages, and had finally made it to the scrum at the front, when I felt some sharp elbows trying to force their way in front of me. I sharply returned the favour with my elbows, turned and told the miscreant to flaming well wait his turn (in slightly more colourful language). Which is when I saw that it was an enormous England rugby player (shan't name him). I stood my ground, but wasn't far off needing fresh kecks.
 Nice self-control. - bathtub tom
I had the pleasure of planting a crutch onto the stiletto'd toe of some Essex chav who ignored my 'excuse me' request (I'd a broken ankle).
 Nice self-control. - Crankcase
>> I had the pleasure of planting a crutch onto the stiletto'd toe of some Essex
>> chav

For some reason I read "crutch" and "stiletto'd" in that sentence back to front and it made an extraordinary image.

Nice self-control. - Pat
Me too:)

Pat
 Nice self-control. - bathtub tom
Do you think they make stilettos in a suitable size for tubby me Pat? ;>)
 Nice self-control. - R.P.
Probably Tom - I had a steep learning curve in dealing with a cross dresser in work !
 Nice self-control. - Pat
I'm sure you'd look lovely and if you ask PU nicely he might lend you his tutu and wand:)

Pat
 Nice self-control. - SteelSpark
Yeah a good story, even though it is an urban legend. It seems that most of the good stories are!

Here it is from 2005, this time set in Denver Airport

www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/2413946/
Latest Forum Posts