Non-motoring > Standing room only! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 10

Standing room only! - Dog
oshiya tokyo train pushing ~

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%2boshiya+tokyo+train+pushing&mid=3D123990A34F7FB089DE3D123990A34F7FB089DE&FORM=hphot2#
 Standing room only! - Focusless
That would be the crush hour.
 Standing room only! - Bigtee
Looks like a normal peak time here.!
 Standing room only! - RattleandSmoke
Never seen anything like that. I have seen that many people trying to get onto a train or tram at peak hours but the guard always makes sure that dosn't happen.

I have been on a couple of buses like that though.
 Standing room only! - Zero
thats the northern line at charing cross
 Standing room only! - Snakey
Thats the Durham to Newcastle early morning two carriage cattle wagon!

Except theres no one to 'help' you onboard...
 Standing room only! - Dog
It amazes me that they put up with that treatment, wifey went to Tokyo & Osaka but never experienced anything like that (as a tourist)

They are 'funny' people though, the nips, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they actually enjoy it some how.
 Standing room only! - hobby
There aren't many seats on the train either... Some of the new stock down London way has been based on Jap design, few seats and large open gangways between carriages... If you stand at one end you can see right down to the other...

How to fit more people on in the rush hour, I suppose... ok if its only a short journey, but I'd hate to be on one if it broke down...
 Standing room only! - MD
If I was the guy in the white mac the bloke doing the pushing would have a skinless shin. What a life.
 Standing room only! - Bellboy
just dont get on the twenty past train and you will be ho kay
 Standing room only! - PeterS
I did spend a couple of years living/working in Japan at the begining of the last decade; fortunately not every Japanese subway is like that!! There were only a few stations / times when that sort of crowd was seen.

Given the length of the average salaryman's commute though, and the cost of tolls/parking, there really is no alternative for many people. Also, the cost of subway travel is very low (or at least was). I used to pay around £1 each way to commute from central Yokohama to Shin Yokohama - around 20 minutes with one change. Tokyu Toyoko-sen to Kikuna, then JR to Shin Yokohama. Less than 2 minutes wak at either end as well! Now that's when public trasport works :-)

Peter
Latest Forum Posts