Non-motoring > Hypnotherapy? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 27

Hypnotherapy? - Badwolf
Hello all,

Does anybody have any experience of hypnotherapy? As some on here may be aware, I was involved in a fatal RTC over six years ago and I'm still having trouble coping. Would hypnotherapy help keep my feelings in check?

As always, thanks in advance.
 Hypnotherapy? - nyx2k
i dont think hypnotherapy has the power to suppress feelings but other types of therapy are able tohelp you arrange feelings and thoughts that then enable you to gradually help yourself.

my wife is a therapist so when i see her tonight and may be able to post a more helpful post
 Hypnotherapy? - Badwolf
Thank you, I'd much appreciate that.
 Hypnotherapy? - BiggerBadderDave
Someone should offer a hypnosis service that makes you forget all your favourite films so you can watch them all again.
 Hypnotherapy? - Dog
I tried Hypnotherapy 20 odd years ago to help me relax,
I used to feel very relaxed after a 'session', but I didn't keep it up (does that sound rude!)

You can use self hypnosis via youtube,
but in your case I would suggest cognitive therapy may be a better route to try.
 Hypnotherapy? - R.P.
I did cognitive therapy two years ago after my wife died suddenly (two years have really flown !) it helped - still have related issues but I had coping strategies to help resolve them when they happen....bad dreams and that kicked in pretty recently but the strategies seemed to have helped dissipate them. Inexact science though.
 Hypnotherapy? - madf
Yoga helps with similar problems.
 Hypnotherapy? - Netsur
Yes - I had problems following my divorce and CBT together with relaxation techniques helped.
 Hypnotherapy? - BiggerBadderDave
I had problems following my divorce which were alleviated at the Capricorn Club round the corner from Goodge Street Station.
 Hypnotherapy? - Runfer D'Hills
I had problems following my divorce. Couldn't stop smiling, randomly punching the air and chuckling involuntarily. I'm ok now though. I got married again and it cured all that.
 Hypnotherapy? - nyx2k
ive spoken to my wife and a few other therapists and they reccomemend a cbt councilor.
contact the cpcab body who will advise of people in your area but sometimes a bereavement councilor my help depending on the circumstances and whether you think your actions were in some way to blame or you feel in any way to blame.
 Hypnotherapy? - Badwolf
Lovely, thanks for that. I'm seeing my GP today for something else, so I'll mention it to him. Thanks again.
 Hypnotherapy? - Iffy
Of course, if you are really stuck, you could always tell us lot about it.

Hypnotherapy? - madf
Yes, we'll be full of sympathy and give you some good advice.. such as we gave Rats on his illness....
 Hypnotherapy? - Mapmaker
>> Yes, we'll be full of sympathy and give you some good advice.. such as we
>> gave Rats on his illness....
>>

For a bunch of chaps we weren't too harsh to Cheddar though.
 Hypnotherapy? - Iffy
..for a bunch of chaps we weren't too harsh to Cheddar though...

True.

I think the response to each was appropriate given the respective seriousness of their conditions.

Hypnotherapy? - Tooslow
If I were Rats I'd stop posting for a couple of weeks just to frighten you. :-)

John
 Hypnotherapy? - Zero
>> I had problems following my divorce which were alleviated at the Capricorn Club round the
>> corner from Goodge Street Station.

Ah yes indeed, The cabies did a roaring trade from there to the Praed St Pox Clinic
 Hypnotherapy? - Zero
>> Yoga helps with similar problems.

I prefer Muller corners.
 Hypnotherapy? - R.P.
Thinking about this thread today - One way I find to deal with "stuff" is to write about it - I have an open document on Word, which I add or elaborate on occasionally, I find it quite therapeutic in laying certain ghosts.
 Hypnotherapy? - Zero
"Dear Diary" is often a useful conduit to offload our thoughts. A kind of offline archive.
 Hypnotherapy? - nyx2k
this is how therapists wind down aswell.
if you listen to a lot of troubles then they need to write it down and it becomes much easier to deal with
 Hypnotherapy? - Badwolf
Thanks again for all your replies - some of them have given me a much-needed giggle.

I saw my GP tonight (I had to cancel the original appointment) and he thinks that CBT may well be useful but only after the 'significant underlying problems' have been addressed. After some fairly searching questions, my GP reckons I need pharmaceutical intervention.

Think I'll pass on telling you guys all about it - it's a kind offer, but I wouldn't want to bore you to tears!
 Hypnotherapy? - Zero
Happy Pills?

I would pass on those as well if I were you.
 Hypnotherapy? - Badwolf
I must admit to being a little sceptical, but I trust my GP implicitly. I've known him for almost 25 years and have built up a good relationship. I'll give them a try. Frankly, some days I'd happily rub nettles in my eyes if I thought it'd help...
Last edited by: Badwolf on Mon 31 Jan 11 at 20:25
 Hypnotherapy? - Iffy
...Happy pills...I would pass on those as well if I were you...

Me too, although we don't know how unhappy Badwolf is.

I don't imagine any of us would find his thoughts boring, but that's not a good reason for sharing them.

Hypnotherapy? - Badwolf
> I don't imagine any of us would find his thoughts boring, but that's not a
>> good reason for sharing them.

Indeed so, Iffy. I'm not one for revealing all in public. As 'twere. However, if anybody feels able to help I'd be happy to hear from them. I'm sure the Mods could assist?
 Hypnotherapy? - Falkirk Bairn
Friend of friend was having issues - GP provided pills but this was not the answer. Therapists - Hypnotherapy etc - £90 an hour and he was seeing 3 people / fortnight - this got him back to work but still had issues.

Eventually NHS psychiatrist was available - 6 months + wait - change of tablets and he is so much better - now if this psychiatrist had been available 12 months ago much of the troubles could have been avoided.

Good news was MD at work had had similar issues 10+ yrs ago so was 100% supportive.
Latest Forum Posts