Non-motoring > Anonymous or not? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 33

Anonymous or not? - Iffy
The question of anonymity crops up on C4P now and again and has done so today.

At the apparent suggestion of one member, a thread about dealing with police has been hidden lest the OP's anonymity be compromised.

What I want to know is where on earth is the risk?

The OP posts, as I do, with a silly made up name.

He mentions a minor dispute with a neighbour in a hamlet.

That's it, that's all we have to go on, a made up name, a hamlet, and a minor scrap.

Have you all got his name, age and address yet?

Thought not.

And so what if those details were known to forum members?

There's nothing to stop someone discussing a problem with their chums, whether real or online.

Police involvement, or otherwise, is wholly irrelevant.

What if the alleged victim in the case happens to see it?

The threads on here have relatively tiny numbers of views, and most of those are duplicates as members follow a thread's progress.

There's more chance of winning the Lottery than the victim reading the thread and making all the connections.

And so what if she did? Might even help sort it if she turned out to be a forum member.

People can come here and discuss things anonymously if they choose, safe in the knowledge that it will go no further.

Anonymity is one of the strengths we do have, so it seems just plain daft to stop ourselves from taking advantage of it.

Anonymous or not? - Old Navy
Could the "authorities" not acquire an IP address from the site proprietor ?

They seem to be able to track down people for various reasons, and if they can, who else can hack the system (or phone) ?

Probably not applicable to our babblings, but GCHQ must be spending millions on something. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 27 Jan 11 at 17:19
 Anonymous or not? - Iffy
...Could the "authorities" not acquire an IP address from the site proprietor ?...

Almost certainly get his address somehow or other, but the OP has done nothing wrong.

Don't get me wrong, if "Iffy" was the only lead police had to crack a major crime, I would expect them to be able to find me, get round here sharpish and feel my collar.

But we none of us are anywhere near that situation.

Anonymous or not? - TheManWithNoName
I agree - its a bit 'big brother' and why do the mods feel they need to protect us from ourselves. I'm also sure that if the poster's case was serious enough to ever came to court, then a jury would look at a whole lot more evidence than what was posted on a car-based forum.
 Anonymous or not? - Armel Coussine
On the whole I agree with iffy on this.

My wife doesn't though. She thinks I've given away all our personal information here and on HJ. It makes her paranoid. I do hope she's wrong.
 Anonymous or not? - Runfer D'Hills
I might be a figment of my imagination anyway. So might you. Maybe there's no one else here. Why am I fading.......

System error....reboot....fizzz
 Anonymous or not? - Focusless
>> My wife doesn't though. She thinks I've given away all our personal information here and
>> on HJ. It makes her paranoid. I do hope she's wrong.

Well fortunately the mods quickly removed that quote you posted on HJ from an article you'd written that revealed your identity to anyone who could use google, AC :)
 Anonymous or not? - Mapmaker
I posted this a week or two back.

I posted a while ago on HJ about an accident I had witnessed. A solicitor has since been in touch - through the mods on *this* site - to ask for my eye-witness report.

Admittedly I had the road number and the date of the accident (or rather the day after), but he must have done some serious scouring of the 'net to find it.
 Anonymous or not? - R.P.
Ultimately if the OP is happy for it to be re-instated it will be. In this instance it's a matter for him.

For the record I probably agree with iffy in principle - but Mapmaker's experience was in the back of my mind..
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 27 Jan 11 at 17:49
 Anonymous or not? - Iffy
...but Mapmaker's experience was in the back of my mind...

Presumably Mapmaker was content to be found, as in one site or the other passed the solicitor's details to him, not the other way around.

But the 'Andy Gray' point is well made.

None of us should post anything that we are not happy for anyone to read.
 Anonymous or not? - SteelSpark
This is the problem. If you have enough keywords to look for it is surprising what you can find.

Even more so, if you have the right tools to look for synonyms and patterns in documents.

With this kind of thing, technology is often well ahead of what people think is possible.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Thu 27 Jan 11 at 18:12
 Anonymous or not? - madf
The trouble is, most people drop little bits of personal information onto a forum. Find their name and Facebook page and you are a LONG way to successful identity theft..

Would I want to steal Zero's identity?.. I (never) ask myself....
Last edited by: madf on Thu 27 Jan 11 at 18:49
It pays to double check what you post too.

I once noticed that somebody had posted results from a website, but they had left their postcode in the URL, which was then displayed on the website.

I suppose it could have been a fake postcode, but under the circumstances I don't think it was.

Just shows how things can slip through.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Thu 27 Jan 11 at 18:52
 Anonymous or not? - Focusless
>> I once noticed that somebody had posted results from a website, but they had left
>> their postcode in the URL, which was then displayed on the website.

Indeed - I did that the other day (on the freeview thread), and the displayed page even included my house number. Thank goodness for the edit button :)
 Anonymous or not? - nyx2k
i was surprised to be curtailed in my post as i thought i was being vague enough to not hinder any trial in the future.

i dont mind the original thread restarted as i dont know why it was stopped
in my past posts ive given enough info for any body reading them to drive straight up to my house and invite themselves in for a cup of tea.

im just a little worried about my interview as ive never been questioned before and never had any dealings with the police.
never been burgald or needed to be a witness and only ever been stopped once to be warned og driving a little to fast and next time please slow down.
i dont know what to expect wether they will be nice and just want a statement or wether im going into the lions den and theyll try and put words into my mouth and im stuffed before we start.

Anonymous or not? - R.P.
OK - thread re-started !
 Anonymous or not? - FocalPoint
I suppose I had better "own up" to being the instigator that the thread be deleted - in the event it was hidden.

I will admit to being paranoid about internet security, particularly when it comes to personal information getting into the wrong hands. I would also hate someone's case to be prejudiced because it had been discovered that they had been making derogatory comments about another individual involved in this forum. (That was my interpretation of the comments.) As I understand it, posting material like that is tantamount to publishing it.

Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but in this situation I'd say, "Better safe than sorry."
 Anonymous or not? - R.P.
I suffer from the same mind-set as well Chris.
 Anonymous or not? - Iffy
...I would also hate someone's case to be prejudiced because it had been discovered that they had been making derogatory comments about another individual involved in this forum...

That is a thought, but the OP is anonymous.

He also denies any wrongdoing.

There is no realistic possibility of what he's posted on here under a daft made up name being used against him.

The statement, seemingly already made to the police by the complainant, has evidential value.

A few anonymous posts on here do not.

Iffy -

While you may be correct, I wish I could share your confidence. I don't believe anyone can remain anonymous if someone out there is determined to discover who they are. It just depends on how much time and effort they're prepared to put in to uncover you.
chris. but in my case what harm could it do if any one on the forum or internet in general works out who i am and where i live.
any nutter from sainsburys can follow me home from the shop if they want
"Any nutter from Sainsbury's" does not know you have been mouthing off about the lady who has made a complaint. I was concerned that it might get back to the lady in question.
 Anonymous or not? - Iffy
...I was concerned that it might get back to the lady in question...

It won't, but so what if it does?

She has made a complaint to the police about him.

It would be a surprise if he wasn't talking about it before his first-ever police interview.

Check out what he actually said.
chris. why so upset with me.
ive told the truth and apart from one derogatory word have refrained from giving any more details about her.
No, really, I am not upset with you. I am only concerned for you, in view of what I would say were unwise comments. You said, "Some local chav women has decided to lie to the police." I thought that was unwise. Even telling the truth - as you see it, of course - can be unwise, ahead of any possible legal or police action. I really think you ought to just concentrate on doing what's in your best interest when you get to the police station.
 Anonymous or not? - Iffy
....Check out what he actually said...

We can't because you won't let the thread be re-opened. :)

Anonymous or not? - R.P.
Iffy,

The thread was re-opened some time ago.
 Anonymous or not? - Iffy
...The thread was re-opened some time ago...

Just proves me point - no one pays any attention to what they see on a forum. :)

Anonymous or not? - Iffy
...I don't believe anyone can remain anonymous if someone out there is determined to discover who they are. It just depends on how much time and effort they're prepared to put in to uncover you...

I agree.

But no one is going to be determined to discover the OP's identity, and even if they are and they do, it matters not.

He's posted nothing that will harm his case.
i can understand people being concerned that my postings will have the possibility of damageing any case brought by the complainant and like everyone else she is entitled to seek justice for her perceived assault.

i was just looking for info on how a normal, respectable and respectful person would approach the interview without appearing bolshy or arrogant.
Well, you got that and in addition inadvertently opened a can of worms!

By the way, I was more concerned about the OP's case being damaged!
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Thu 27 Jan 11 at 19:50
 Anonymous or not? - MD
We are all traceable through our postings. Someone with the time and a bit of imagination could get pretty darn close if they so wished for obvious reasons. Get close to the home and ask polite questions of folk in a calm and decent non threatening manner and it is quite alarming what the English will reveal. Not very bright some folk.
The other thing I would suggest is to not use the same username between different sites.

It may be that information you might have forgotten you had put down in another forum, can be used to identify you.

Especially the case if your username is pretty unique.
Latest Forum Posts