Non-motoring > Want to get into Space for £350? Green Issues
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 8

Want to get into Space for £350? - Falkirk Bairn
2 x Phd students got a camera into space for £350 - views of the curvature of the earth and even managed to recover it in a field after reaching 23 miles up!

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8286822/Getting-into-space-for-350.html
 Want to get into Space for £350? - R.P.
Did you spot the error in the clip ?
 Want to get into Space for £350? - Iffy
...Did you spot the error in the clip ?...

It's captioned Dec 2011, so these two have managed to do a bit of time travelling as well.

Want to get into Space for £350? - sherlock47
The only error I could spot was that it was timed at 12.29 ( on landing?) and when the video of driving was shown the sun was very low in the sky - morning or evening? but the later clip in the country lane looked more like mid day but it was dark by the time they found it.

Or am I missing something simple?

EDIT OK I missed the obvious!!!!!!!
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 28 Jan 11 at 09:19
 Want to get into Space for £350? - CGNorwich

An interesting project but one that has been done many times before both by professional and amateur scientists and is regularly reported.

I think the story is attractive to newspapers because it carries the subtext that NASA and the ESA spends millions of pounds on reaching space whereas as a bunch of amateurs can realise the same thing with a camera and a balloon which is of course far from true. Unfortunately most of our press is scientifically illiterate and often even anti-science and for this reason the similar stories are constantly repeated.

Want to get into Space for £350? - R.P.
Wonder how you manage to get that past the NATS guys ?
 Want to get into Space for £350? - sherlock47
How much of a mess would it make ingested by a Trent ? Pity that the video would not survive (since it was recorded not transmitted)!

I have just checked where it came down, - to the west of Saffron Walden (Essex). If it had travelled a about 10 miles further to the SSE it would have come down in the middle of the final approach at Stansted. At that time of day there were several flights coming in at around 12.30 on that day 27/11. Interesting!

webtrak.bksv.com/stn

Want to get into Space for £350? - FotheringtonTomas
>> If it had travelled a about 10 miles further to the SSE it would
>> have come down in the middle of the final approach at Stansted.

People who do this sort of thing are supposed to inform/get permission from the CAA.
 Want to get into Space for £350? - Cliff Pope
Stow away on a space ship. All eyes will be on the 2 astronauts as they walk out along the plank from the top of the launching gantry. No one would notice the maintenance engineer strolling behind with a wrench over his shoulder.
Latest Forum Posts