Non-motoring > A new toy, I mean tool Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 34

A new toy, I mean tool - Iffy
My recent alarms and excursions with frozen pipes at the caravan produced a tool buying opportunity.

I am now the proud owner of a compressor and accessory kit.

Here's the compressor: tinyurl.com/489sbb9

And here's the accessory kit: tinyurl.com/4zpdhpa

Incidentally, I got the lot for £120, so worth visiting the shop in person on this occasion.

The compressor should have enough grunt to pump out the pipes in the caravan, which could save me a burst next winter, provided I time it right.

The only attachment I will be using is the air gun, but it gives me a nice warm feeling to think I could creosote the garden fence with my spray gun, if only creosote wasn't illegal, and if only I had a fence beside the garden.

I can also pump up pretty much any tyre on the road, and the other attachment will squirt paraffin - so the bloke in the shop told me.

What he didn't tell me was why I would want to do so.

Does anyone else have a compressor?

And if so, what do you use it for?

Edit: oops - could someone shunt this across to non-motoring, pls?

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 30 Jan 11 at 10:11
 A new toy, I mean tool - Tooslow
A blowgun? How far is it to the nearest A&E from the caravan Iffy? If you're lucky you may get a ride in a helicopter :-)

John
...A blowgun? How far is it to the nearest A&E from the caravan Iffy?...

I don't intend to stick it up my backside, although I dare say some would like to.

Actually the thought going through my mind was caravan, errrm, "waste" flying into the air on some sort of "fountain". Make sure the neighbours are out and, if necessary, use "stout denial" as Bertram used to put it.

John
...Actually the thought going through my mind was caravan, errrm, "waste" flying into the air...

No, no, no, one doesn't pump the waste system, only the clean water one - taps and shower.

A new toy, I mean tool - Zero
Hmm. The thought process here intrigues me. Most rational thinkers would equate water removal with "syphon" or "pump"

However we have a case here of "uncontrolled pressure induced explosive removal"
...However we have a case here of "uncontrolled pressure induced explosive removal"...

Hardly Zeddo.

Plumbers use this type of compressor to 'winterise' the caravan.

It is a matter of applying water mains pressure - or less - to the inlet, but using air instead of water.

A new toy, I mean tool - jc2
Creosote is now legal again and is easily available.It was found that it's replacement was even more harmful to the environment!!
 A new toy, I mean tool - R.P.
There you are iffy - all you need now is a fence !
...There you are iffy - all you need now is a fence !...

And a mod to move this thread to the correct place. :)

Has he been pinching stuff?
John
 A new toy, I mean tool - Robin O'Reliant
Aldi sell compressors for about £80 IIRC, plus a whole range of air tools. I keep thinking how useful they would be, even though I have absolutely no use for them. Like the set of taps and dies they have now for £16.99, an absolute must have even though I can't think of an occasion I would use them.

Last week I bought a harmonica with a DVD and a book that promises you will be playing like a pro in no time, only £2.99 the set. I have never had any wish to play the harmonica, the box is still unopened, Mrs RR won't believe it only cost £2.99 and is accusing me of wasting money.

And the local gun shop has an air rifle that I really fancy even though I already have one and a pistol too.

There is something so compelling about "stuff".
 A new toy, I mean tool - PhilW
"There is something so compelling about "stuff". "

I know! Mrs W insists on accompanying me to B&Q, Screwfix etc because she says I come back with a new powertool every time I set foot in the place! "You go out to buy some screws and come back with a powertool" she says.
Actually used my "special offer" Bosch circular saw today, and a "special offer" electric water cooled tile cutter but my angle grinder has only been used once in 3 years.
Saw some lovely cordless drills being sold off today (I only have 3!) but Mrs W would only let me buy the 95 piece accessory set for £16 (reduced from £24).
She won't even let me set foot in a camera shop!
Phil
 A new toy, I mean tool - DeeW
I've got a fence, if you want to practise?
 A new toy, I mean tool - Old Navy
>> I've got a fence, if you want to practise?
>>

I've got a fence and I'll up you a shed. :-)
The winner will be the one who has the largest stock of Hobnobs.

>> The winner will be the one who has the largest stock of Hobnobs.
>>
>>
Sorry, I'm Australia trained, always cold beer in the fridge.
...Sorry, I'm Australia trained, always cold beer in the fridge....

Phew, no offence, but I'd rather do Dee's fence anyway.

>> Sorry, I'm Australia trained, always cold beer in the fridge.
>

You should know how to drink your tea through a tim tam then.
>> You should know how to drink your tea through a tim tam then.
>>

Better them than Vegemite. :-)
 A new toy, I mean tool - FotheringtonTomas
>> >> You should know how to drink your tea through a tim tam then.
>>
>> Better them than Vegemite. : - )

Vegemite's OK - it's far nicer than Marmite[1], anyway.

[1] The New Zealand version[2]. Eurgh.

[2] UK Marmite is superior to this and Vegemite.
>> UK Marmite is superior to this and Vegemite.
>>

I prefer Marmite to any of the similar products no matter where they come from.
 A new toy, I mean tool - DeeW
Chocolate AND plain ... and home made fruit cake, flapjack and apple cider cake (cider to go with, if wanted, made from my own apples) ;-)
...Chocolate AND plain ... and home made fruit cake, flapjack and apple cider cake (cider to go with, if wanted, made from my own apples) ;-)...

Crikey, how long's this fence?

Doesn't go round the orchard, does it?

A new toy, I mean tool - Manatee
How does that work without a tank then? Don't get too hopeful about the paint spraying performance, even the little 25l tank ones like I have aren't really up to it.

I've two of those red paraffin guns and I haven't used them either.

Best accessory is about 25m of hose on a reel - much easier for blowing all the fleet tyres up than moving the compressor around.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 30 Jan 11 at 12:53
...How does that work without a tank then?...

I was thinking that.

Perhaps there is a small tank under the plastic cladding.

The unit is quite heavy, and I doubt it's all motor.

It should have more than grunt enough for its primary, and probably only, use blowing out the pipes at the caravan.

A new toy, I mean tool - Manatee

>> Perhaps there is a small tank under the plastic cladding.

Not according to the exploded diagram in the destructions pdf ... (I'm 'working' at the moment and easily deflected especially as I'm using a PC).

A new toy, I mean tool - jc2
Mix waxoyl and white spirit 50/50 and spray it with the paraffin gun.The spirit evaporates(don't smoke) and leaves a nice coating of waxoyl-it penetrates a lot better than hand application.
 A new toy, I mean tool - R.P.
OK I've stopped being stubborn now and I'll move it.
 A new toy, I mean tool - Bigtee
www.alltoolsdirect.co.uk/sip-forty-compressor-06699-12388-p.asp

The above is my compressor i use it for my 1/2" air gun & Tyre changer & tyre inflator, spraying, plus blowing out dust which you should not do elf and safety rubbish.

The one you have is ideal for diy light spraying but for blowing out pipes it won't have too much oooomf to it to get out stuck objects i don't think, you may need more air & a tank machine may be better.

But you know the pipe etc and what air comes out of your machine your the best judge for it.

I can't live without air tools as used them for over the past 20 years & once you get in a certain way of working you stick to it and air is for me.

PCL make the better air line connectore and fittings and more popular should you need any, Your machine i doubt will have these but you should find it ok to use just practice with it.
...but you should find it ok to use just practice with it...

Thanks Bigtee, but it could just as well go in Phil's barely used tools thread.

It's only intended purpose is to blow standing water out of the pipes in the caravan, which I only do once or twice a year.

I'm hoping it will come in handy for something else, but I have a few tools I could say that about.

But we know the old saying: Money spent on tools is never wasted.

A new toy, I mean tool - Kevin
>and the other attachment will squirt paraffin..

Grab a Zippo and it'll be perfect for clearing out those pesky pillboxes at the bottom of the garden eh?

Kevin...
Yeah, probably still full of Nips who don't know the war is over.
 A new toy, I mean tool - BiggerBadderDave
Stop it, I'm getting flash-backs.
Following on from another thread (as well as this one) thermometer.co.uk/921-2202-2203-differential-thermometers.html

You know you need one. But maybe not at £70 + VAT.
John
Latest Forum Posts