Non-motoring > A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 18

A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - PhilW
Inspired by iffy's thread below about his compressor, and the thoughts it insired in me, I just wondered whether others are as gullible as me.
Every time I set foot in a hardware store, I seem to come out with some new "new toy" which I don't really need.
I already have 3 cordless drills, all perfectly servicable- 12v, 14.4v and 18v. They also go up in quality but I still lust after a De Walt cordless power drill.
I have 3 hedge trimmers, one an old B&D thing, another good electric one and a petrol one which I didn't need, but still bought (it was "a bargain")
My circular saw gets used once a year on average, I have 2 jig saws, both perfectly good, an angle grinder which I have used once in 3 years, a Dremel thing with multiple uses which I have used about once in 5 years and as for the leaf blower thing, used it once, decided a rake was more useful and it has sat, lonely and unused, in the shed for about 5 years.
Anyone want a B&D workmate? I have 2. One is very old and well used, the other is sparkling new (only 3 years old!) and unused.
As for accessory sets, I must have 20 sets of drill bits, screwdriver bits (and I only use the one No 2 Posidrive for everything), Allen keys, Star drivers (what are they for?) etc. Did buy a new good 95 piece set today though to duplicate, triplicate, quadricate, etc what I already have.
I hate to admit how many sets of spanners I have - anyone want 6 or so 10 mill spanners which I have to spare?
Of course, what I hadn't realised until I read iffy's post, is how much I need a compressor. B&Q, Screwfix and all you places on the internet, here I come.

So, come on, admit it, you are as bad as me aren't you? A sucker for new "toys"
Mind you, why does Mrs W need 16 handbags, each of which costs more than a de Walt cordless driver????
Phil

A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Zero
I have a very classy dremel gas powered blowtorch/soldering tool. It comes in a lovely tin box.

Had it a year, its been a real godsend, used it, hmm lets see how many times now, well the truth is, its never been filled with gas.

I mean, look at it., classy huh?

www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=152685
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 30 Jan 11 at 19:22
Oooooooh - I want one of those - looks good - no idea what I'd use it for though.
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - BiggerBadderDave
"no idea what I'd use it for though"

Creme Brulee?
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Zero
Yeah, that was the justification. And to scorch peppers.

I keep telling myself...

A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Robin O'Reliant
Socket sets are my downfall, God knows how many I have from full all singing all dancing to little mini sets. Closely followed by electrical gadgetry, if I plugged everything I owned in at once the National Grid would shut down.

I blame Aldi, a store that is surely the work of the devil. I probably go in once a week and nearly always come out with a bargain. Most of the bargains have only ever been admired, never used, like the handy little battery and alternator tester that is still in it's packaging on the desk before me. I've had it six months at least.

And I have a fetish for bicycle mini pumps going back years, I could probably lay my hands on a dozen tonight, from simple hand pumps to Co2 inflators and a couple that combine both functions.
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Runfer D'Hills
Erm...bike racks....anyone in the market perchance?

:-(
No, but perhaps we could open a shop selling them? - I have at least 3!
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - hobby
I have one of those variable temperature soldering stations... Not used it yet as the #5 30w iron and another secondhand 15w do all the jobs I need to do...
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Skoda
Would be good if there was an easy way to put folks just starting out on their lifetime collections in touch with folks like PhilW to buy some of their old duplicate kit.

Last edited by: Skoda on Sun 30 Jan 11 at 21:22
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - MD
Load of Ryobi 18v stuff here that I don't use. May need some batteries before too long, but it's a start for someone. Tough stuff.
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Iffy
I have a few tools which could go into either thread.

My angle grinder has only been used once, but it was invaluable for removing a strip off the bottom of the composite doors in the caravan after I had a new carpet fitted.

A glue gun I've used once years ago.

A staple gun I've never used.

A Karcher pressure washer I've used once to clean the back yard, but I really must do it again this year, or maybe next.

A Pela waste oil vacuum pump which I used once last year and will use again this year, provided I can be bothered to do an intermediate oil change on the CC3.

A Lidl battery charger, not used yet, but has only been in the inventory for a couple of weeks.

A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Bellboy
i tend to look at lots of shiny stuff,see its made in china and walk on
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Ted

I've got a lot of tools, a rough head count seems to bring up 39 power tools.
That includes 4 Cordless drills, all the same so the batteries interchange, 5 angle grinders..hate changing discs on a job, 4 battery chargers and so on.

I've used everything but some stuff is now redundant...the garden shredder and chainsaw have earned their rest. The generator cost me £50 from Stax..not used it in anger but I start it regularly. When the power cuts come, guess who'll be watching telly in the warm caravan with a light on ?

The cement mixer, Acros and most of my ladders now live in my SIL's lockup, with the trailer.
The MIG doesn't get much use, I prefer the gas.

I suppose the least used of all my stuff is the joddler. I bought it when I was working on a pre-war car, to let sections of steel into the bodywork...don't do any of that now.

Oh, and the clutch aligning dowel set, Sykes Pickavant. Not doing none of those no more, not nohow...never !

Ted
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Bigtee
The Snap-on tool chest i bought at 21 for £550.00 when i had one that was also was Snap-on but older which i didn't need to buy.!!

Tools for home and tools for work & then get a job where all tools are supplied so got more than any man needs sitting at home rusting.!!

Does a mechanic sell his tools? No just keeps them gathering dust.!!

Morale of the story get shut of most of them but will I? No will i eck.

Here you go son have these. Thanks dad in the bin.!!
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - henry k
My, by far, main source of tools and useful things has now closed I am over the worse.
I have very very large collection of all things Gardena that were bought at very silly low prices.
Hose fittings, sprinklers, spray guns the list is endless. some get used now and again but others are kept in a dark secret drawer.
Many small pliers etc fill a tool tray. Reams of sandpaper, enough to sand a few homes.
I have also inherited a few things.
A ( to me) large well used engineers vice which has sat on the floor for decades, I recently gave it away.
I have a donated 36" Stilsons type wrench, for what?
A box of B/R & S/R railway spanners that have also been given away.
I think I have about 30 hammers of various types.
My full set of S/S Wilkinson Sword long handled garden tools do get polished each year.
They look beautiful on their rack and a few get handled per year.
I have a collection of B & D attachments that have always stayed detached but I still have the instructions for the comb etc.
Fortunately LIDL and ALDI are not local but I have been known to be tempted.
I tell myself & SWMBO that if I have used it once then it has probably paid for itself.

Sadly supplies for my most used tool have ceased. Citride went bust so no more refills for my hand sander ( or Surform, or half sheet sander).
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - R.P.
I just found one of my toys - A Leatherman Micra - not cheap, beautifully made and almost no use for it....but lovely !
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - Tooslow
I found a hub cap remover while rummaging amongst my tools. No, not a "wheel trim" remover - hub caps, remember them? Did I throw it away? Of course not. It got stared at, lovingly, and carefully put back.

John
  A new toy, I mean tool - totally unnecessary! - bathtub tom
I've still got a very useful yankee screwdriver. The battery's usually flat on my electric one on the odd occasion I want it.
Latest Forum Posts