Non-motoring > Burglar alarm keeps going off Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 32

Burglar alarm keeps going off - RattleandSmoke
Mainly zone 3 (back door?) but sometimes zone 2 (PIR). First of all I figured there must be a fault in the wiring to zone 3 but now it goes off even if zone 3 is omited. It seems to happen worse in the cold weather.

Is this likely to be simply a control panel fault? I don't want to spend £50 on a new panel if the problem is more liklely to be wiring? What do you think? The wiring is quite complicated as I added extra zones by making use of the spare cores in the existing cabling about 7 years back but I stupidly never wrote a wiring diagram for it so fault finding might be quite difficult.

Just wondered if anybody else has had problems with the alarm going off randomly and if a faulty control unit was the fault.

Burglar alarm keeps going off - R.P.
What's the make Rattle - we had the same problem here on an XR2 system (apparently very popular). When was the battery back up installed. If you have the XR2 there's plenty of stuff on the 'net, armed with that and an OE battery from Amazon - I fixed ours.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 31 Jan 11 at 20:13
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - -
Put the narrow attachment onto the vacuum cleaner, then have a good go around and behind the sensor(s), we had similar problem but with a 13' high ceiling in the main living room not easy to see without gettinng the ladders out, we are certain it was a small spider causing it.

Once well vacuumed the problem disappeared....not saying that's your problem Rattie, but worth doing to eliminate.
The probem is the zone is going off even when the zone is supposed to be emited which suggests it is a control panel problem. It is a Texecom Veritas 8 which was supposed to be one of the best domestic panels when I fitted it.

I will check tomorrow for anything obvious like bulging capacitors.
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - henry k
>>we are certain it was a small spider causing it.
>>Once well vacuumed the problem disappeared.
>>
A tip from a security expert , a friend of mine, is to put a bit of mothball on the sensor but do not forget it when the vacuum cleaner is used.
>> bit of mothball on the sensor but do not forget it when the vacuum cleaner
>> is used.

Thanks Henry, SWMBO is now charged with the purchase of said product.
Apparently spiders don't like conkers either, though that could well be an old wives tale.
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - Dave_
>> Apparently spiders don't like conkers either

You have to be a really good aim.
>> You have to be a really good aim.
>>

:-))).
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - smokie
"a bit of mothball" - you have to have a really steady hand :-)
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - hobby
>> >> Apparently spiders don't like conkers either

Much to my surprise I think that there's an element of truth in that one... My eldest daughter can't stand spiders so we collected a few conkers and placed them around the house... Haven't seen a spider since... For those who may have relations with a similar problem it may be worth you trying!!
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - Zero
They are hiding behind the conkers...
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - Crankcase
I also have a morbid fear of leggy scuttling things, so both spiders and Tina Turner are a big no no at the Manor.

I put some conkers down a couple of months back, and there haven't been any incidents since.

Mind you, it's true that every time you cross the room you get a squirrel up your trousers.
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - hobby
Or the cat starts playing with them!
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - SteelSpark
In these days of austerity, serious science has to be farmed out to school kids. But their research seems to suggest that conkers have not effect on spiders.

tinyurl.com/2urlncb
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - BiggerBadderDave
"we are certain it was a small spider causing it"

I'd rather tackle a burglar than a spider.
>> I'd rather tackle a burglar than a spider.
>>
Burglar's tackle in cowboy boots? they'll be queuing up..;)
My mind is now boggling !
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - Stuartli
Battery could be the problem or:

www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=98696

ukpanels.com/forum1/showthread.php?tid=1226

tinyurl.com/45jgwvt

Burglar alarm keeps going off - Cliff Pope
Careful, spiders love living in places where the batteries go.
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - Old Navy
Stuartli beat me to it, when mine started playing up after about 7 years it was the back up rechargable battery dieing. A new battery fixed it. (Think fiesta battery Ratts.)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 09:55
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - movilogo
A different question on burglar alarm.

Last week we had a power cut in our area in the morning. This had activated my barglar alarm!! I could only switch off the high pitched sound when power was restored (after 40 minutes!).

Only some houses were affected for other houses (which had barglar alarms fitted), it didn't activate.

What is the reason?
Exactly the same symptoms here - back up battery gone in the control box - as I said earlier an OE replacement cost me 12.50 to replace and was a doddle to replace - works ok now.

The original had been in the box approx. 10 years, their useful life is 5 years apparently..
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 12:30
Thanks will buy a new battery, the existing one is 21 years old!!! When I fitted a new control panel to replace the dead Optima Logic 6 I we had no money left to buy a replacement battery and the old one worked.

That said why would a dying battery make zones go off?
Why does a dying battery make the alarm go off when it's not set...?
designed to fail "safe" in the event of power failure (deliberate or not)
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - Tooslow
Sounds like the battery in the bell box is healthy (sounded alarm) but the battery in the control box sending a "don't go off" signal, isn't. So when power came back, alarm shut up. Maplins for a new battery, easy to swap, as PU said.
John
Sorry I didn't make something clear, it only goes off when it is set. It dosn't go off when it is not set.

But it is two different zones the back door and the PIR so I doubt it is simply a fault with the wiring.
Close the back door, and stop moving around.

Fixed.
It is when we are all in bed, that is the point. Now the PIR is a special pet one so I can see how in the cold weather it still picks them up, but I can't understand why the back door zone is going off.
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - rtj70
I think it's got a Root Kit... ;-) Others seem to think it's likely to be a battery problem though.
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - Old Navy
Is a root kit something you can buy in a garden centre?
Rattle has loads of them. He keeps them in his shed, as he doesn't have a license to dispose of them.
 Burglar alarm keeps going off - Clk Sec
>>Is a root kit something you can buy in a garden centre?

I always thought it was something to do with orienteering. A sports shop, more like.
Latest Forum Posts