Non-motoring > 13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 12

13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - Hard Cheese

Are all 13amp mains USB chargers generic, i.e. can I charge an iPod with my Sony Ericsson one?

I guess so because they must surely all comply with USB specs.

Any ideas?
 13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - Zero
No they are not. Later Ipods and Iphones need a signal on the data lines before they will charge. Not all USB chargers provide that, instead just sending 5v up the power lines.
 13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - Iffy
...Later Ipods and Iphones need a signal on the data lines before they will charge...

I bought a cheapo car USB charger for my Nano which works OK.

Seems like I was lucky.

Just as well, if it had not worked, I would never have worked out why.

13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - WillDeBeest
Zero's right. My iPhone 3G charger will charge anything; my generic mains-USB and 12V-USB chargers will charge the iPod Classic but not the iPhone.

Thanks all, no harm in trying i guess.

13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - Zero
You wont blow anything up by trying.

Yes I know that, I could have found out if it works by trial and error though it is good to access others experiences.

13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - rtj70
>> Not all USB chargers provide that, instead just sending 5v up the power lines.

I found it was the cable and not the USB charger that made the biggest difference. Have a few 13amp and cigar lighter types of charger. I can charge my iPod touch with a mini-USB cable via the plugged in Griffin iTrip too.
 13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - WillDeBeest
My experience differs: even a white Apple cable won't charge the 3G from the generic charger, while any old cable will do from an Apple charger or a PC USB port. But then I think the 3G was the first to use the new charging method, so a Touch older than that will be less choosy.
 13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - Focusless
My son charges his new iPod Touch using a mains USB charger I bought from Kendal market for £3.99.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 06:28
 13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - Focusless
>> My son charges his new iPod Touch using a mains USB charger I bought from
>> Kendal market for £3.99.

That is, the 'charger' is just a mains plug with a USB socket; he uses the Apple lead between the iPod and the USB socket.
 13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - henry k
Some comments from my son who is usually "switched on" to these sort of things and was an UK iPhone user before they were released here.

"... following anecdotes have always suggested to me that it wasn’t straightforward:

The signal thing is definitely true – plug an iPhone into the wrong charger and it will say “charging not supported with this adapter”

Just ignoring it isn’t always wise either. A while back, I left my 1st generation iPhone charging in a generic (old) iPod dock, came back an hour later and it was too hot to pick up – it never worked again

Wattage comes into it too – the iPad requires a higher wattage charger, so an iPhone will charge off an iPad charger, but not vice versa

My Playstation 3 controllers never seemed to charge off a Blackberry charger, despite both having exactly the same USB charging leads, they only seemed to work plugged into the Playstation or with a specific charger"

I know nuffink about these modern things but his comments might help some folks. :-)

13amp mains USB chargers, generic or not? - spamcan61
My HTC Wildfire also has two USB charging modes, if it's plugged into a PC it charges at 300mA or so (in line with PC USB current supply capability); if it's plugged into its proper charger by the same lead it charges at 1A. Some USB car chargers charge it at 300mA, some at 1A.
Latest Forum Posts