Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 31

3 pin plugs - Bellboy
have you ever stood on one in the dark and cussed
at least the old round pin ones didnt hurt
anyway salvation is on its way
hopefully
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8572146.stm
 3 pin plugs - Runfer D'Hills
"Continental" two pin plugs will go into british wall sockets with a bit of forcing. Stubborn ones can be fooled by shoving the end of your Bic in the earth socket while you ram the two pinner into the sparky end. At least the one for my lappy works OK like that.

Probably illegal / dangerous or something but it works.
 3 pin plugs - spamcan61
Yeah, 90s Vauxhall car keys tend to work well in the earth socket too in a similar situation.

Plugs are the only things worse than Lego bricks for standing on IMHO.
 3 pin plugs - VxFan
>> "Continental" two pin plugs will go into british wall sockets with a bit of forcing.

Where I used to work several years ago, they introduced the 110volt system. One of the neutral or live pins (can't remember which) in the plug was turned 90° to prevent it being accidentally pushed into 240 sockets. The pin in question was also slightly tapered at the end. Shortly afterwards we had to ban those 4 way rubber extension leads because some of the contractors thought the 110 volt plugs were a tight fit and stamped on them with their boots to get them to go into the extension leads.
 3 pin plugs - MD
Vaseline.
 3 pin plugs - Ted
You made me jump then, Martin !

Ted
 3 pin plugs - MD
>> You made me jump then Martin !
>>
>> Ted
>>
He's Behind you>>>
 3 pin plugs - Iffy
Going back to the original invention.

What is the point of a plug that folds?

I don't get it.

3 pin plugs - MD
>> Going back to the original invention.
>>
>> What is the point of a plug that folds?
>>
>> I don't get it.
>>
>>
Wakey wakey!!
 3 pin plugs - Runfer D'Hills
So that when you put your ultra slim laptop in your ultra slim laptop bag the plug doesn't give the bag a hernia.
 3 pin plugs - Iffy
Well if that's it, I think this comment by one of the judges is a bit overdone:

...The device, he went on, "shows intelligent, elegant and inventive design can make a difference to everyone's life."...

3 pin plugs - Ted
You dont need it....take the plug off, bare the wires. Use something to shove in the earth hole and stick the other two wires in the other two holes...it doesn't matter which way round !

A cheap and easy alternative.

Ted
 3 pin plugs - Zero
we used to jam a biro in the earth plug, then force two bare wires into the live and neutral with swan vesta matches.
 3 pin plugs - -
I'd like to admit to jerry wiring in the past, but afraid someone may join here and drag it all up and post a link to it in twenty years time, when i'm denying all knowledge..;)
 3 pin plugs - MD
>> You dont need it....take the plug off bare the wires. Use something to shove in
>> the earth hole and stick the other two wires in the other two holes...it doesn't
>> matter which way round !
>>
Morning Ted. A 4" nail always made a good fuse:)

M
 3 pin plugs - Zero
A Nail is called a "diagnostic fuse"

You shove it in, see where the smoke comes from, and viola! you have located the source of the problem.
 3 pin plugs - L'escargot
The plug didn't seem to have any innards to allow connection of wires.
 3 pin plugs - spamcan61
Having had a look at the clip now then I'm wondering what gauge of wire it can cope with ( given the diameter of the pivot looks pretty small; and where does the fuse go? Not sure about safety approvals either given that it appears to be possible to insert the plug in the socket without folding out the little side shields. Cunning idea though.
 3 pin plugs - henry k
One slim plug that is available but not cheap.
www.slimplug.com/
 3 pin plugs - rtj70
I wonder how many would buy it. All electrical items come fitted with a plug these days. They have to by law.
 3 pin plugs - henry k
>> I wonder how many would buy it. All electrical items come fitted with a plug these days.
>>
As the ad shows it comes with a cable and a figure eight connector on the other end so aimed at the laptop market. Expensive but my son is very pleased with it.
 3 pin plugs - Bazzabear
Here's a video which explains more fully how it works:
www.pocket-lint.com/news/24991/1cm-thick-uk-plug-designed

Doesn't look at all user-wireable to me, so I assume you'd have to buy one already designed for your device.
And since a lot of portable devices have a transformer either built into the plug, or in-line on the cord, might not save that much space.

Very clever design though.
 3 pin plugs - Zero
This is all of course a moot point and a technological cul de sac. All the smart money is on wireless power distribution. Plugs? who needs them
 3 pin plugs - Bellboy
Plugs? who needs them?
>>>>>
>>>>>>>>me for one
i hate to think what all this energy floating round in the air and slowly frazzling all our brains is going to do in the future
its wires for me everytime thank you.........
 3 pin plugs - Fenlander
It'll be handy though being able to draw up and recharge your elec car outside a house that's not bothered to password protect their wireless ring main.
 3 pin plugs - Zero
Hmm I kinda get the feeling that 500 amps wirelessly through your everest double glazing and ten feet out onto the road is a little way off yet.

500 milliamps over ten feet is nearer than you think tho.
 3 pin plugs - swiss tony
>> This is all of course a moot point and a technological cul de sac. All
>> the smart money is on wireless power distribution. Plugs? who needs them
>>
I knew a chap who had a shed at the bottom of his garden, lit by a fluorescent tube.
not unusual?

the fact the shed wasn't wired, and that the tube picked up power from the overhead high voltage cables was....
 3 pin plugs - Bellboy
i was told many years ago if you take the ballast resister out of a tube fitting the tube would run using so little electric that the wheel wouldnt spin in the leccy cupboard
 3 pin plugs - bathtub tom
There was a certain military wireless station that was losing transmission power. They found the loss was in an aerial feeder that ran along the boundary adjacent to to a shed in someone's garden. A brightly lit shed.
 3 pin plugs - Avant
Coming back to Bellboy's original point, Murphy's Law will dictate that at the time you step on a folding plug, it won't be in your laptop bag and you will have forgotten to fold it.
 3 pin plugs - Dave_
The attitude to electrical safety shown by some of you lot yesterday reminds me of an old school friend's house - virtually every plughole had "bang" marks around it...

My dad worked his apprenticeship wiring up Trawsfynydd nuclear power station in the 60s, so the wiring in our house was always 100% fit for purpose.
 3 pin plugs - Iffy
...so the wiring in our house was always 100% fit for purpose...

Yeah, wires the thickness of your forearm, junction box the size of a Ford Cortina.

Slightly over-specified, but fit for purpose. :)
Latest Forum Posts