Non-motoring > why are these people employed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 54

why are these people employed - -
I'm talking about personell dept's in this case, though similar apparently useless and expensive admin depts must exist in many places.

Last year i completed an online CV with a huge logistics chain, they recently sent me an email to the effect that if i didn't reply to them with an updated CV/confirmation it would be automatically deleted.

I don't need to say any more do i.

Which other depts should be nominated for being disbanded as a waste of time and space.
 why are these people employed - Tooslow
Senior managemt? Sorry, not a dept, is it? They only appear to exist in order to give jobs to their mates and indulge in office politics. Oh and starting the odd "initiative" which is very similar to the last one and the one before that and the one before that, without actually seeing any of them through.

Phew! TG I'm a pensioner! :-)

Oh - Sales and marketing to answer the question more seriously.

John
 why are these people employed - Bromptonaut
Not sure I follow the problem there GB, though I don't know lorry driving specifically. Firms like these presumably retain hundreds of CV's. Prospective employees will take other posts or dip in/out of the jobs market over time.

If they don't run a constant housekeeping process they'll wast time and raise ire chasing people who've moved on. And if you've acquired some new skills in the last twelve months their addition might just bring your CV to the top.

We employ graduate reserach assitants, or did before govt recruitment was frozen. Cv's more than a few month's old are stale both in terms of people's skills and whereabouts.
 Why are these people employed? - Perky Penguin
GB, in the most tactful way, I suggest that you could amend your CV, if it contains the same errors of spelling, capiltalisation and randon apostrophes as your post.
 Why are these people employed? - -
PP, i would use a spellchecker on something like a CV, however after following their instructions to the letter and sending an updated version they still auto deleted it.

Sorry if my forgetting O level English grammar offends.
Please! It doesn't offend me at all but it might disturb a CV reader. I appreciate that many posts here, including mine, do not always reach a basic O level standard!
 Why are these people employed? - sherlock47
>>>do not always reach a basic O level standard!<<
Many of the worst offenders will not even know what an O Level was!

Why are these people employed? - Crankcase
>> Many of the worst offenders will not even know what an O Level was!

What about those who have a School Certificate?
 Why are these people employed? - John H
>> What about those who have a School Certificate?
>>

Isn't that the certificate handed out under nuLab which proves you were registered to attend a bog standard comprehensive school but never had to attend to gain the certifcate? ;-)
>> PP, i would use a spellchecker on something like a CV, however after following their
>> instructions to the letter and sending an updated version they still auto deleted it.
>>

Then follow it up higher up their chain of command, and/or upload the CV again.
 Why are these people employed? - FocalPoint
"...I suggest that you could amend your CV, if it contains the same errors of spelling, capiltalisation and randon apostrophes as your post."

"Capiltalisation"?
"Randon"?

"I appreciate that many posts here, including mine, do not always reach a basic O level standard!"

Ipse dixit.

:-)) Sorry, couldn't help it.
Capitalisation - writing in capital letters thus correct

Randon - typo N is next to M on the keyboard = typo. 15 all - your service!
No - it's thirty-love to me.

PP originally put "capiltalisation". This is a spelling error, typo (call it what you will).
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Fri 4 Feb 11 at 20:51
Capitalisation is a word in the dictionary and means, among other things, the use of capital letters. Thirty all - keep trying
I don't have a problem with the word "capitalisation". But that is not what you originally put, which was "capiltalisation".

Something wrong with your reading glasses?
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Fri 4 Feb 11 at 21:49
My glasses suggest to me that the two versions of the word you have quoted in your post of 21.48 are in fact one and the same, so what is the problem? PS Time to drop this perhaps?
>> My glasses suggest to me that the two versions of the word you have quoted
>> in your post of 21.48 are in fact one and the same, so what is
>> the problem? PS Time to drop this perhaps?
>>

No they are not. Count the number of letters. One has an extra " l " for lima.

(check your post at www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=4961&m=108735&v=e )
No - what CP has posted shows they are both the same.

"I don't have a problem with the word "capitalisation". But that is not what you originally put, which was "capiltalisation".

I can count - 14 each. What I posted is not relevant if I am being misquoted and given a hard time by CP and you too!!!!! Time for the excitement of sorting out my sock drawer I think!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 10:47
>> I can count - 14 each. What I posted is not relevant if I am
>> being misquoted and given a hard time by CP and you too!!!!!
>>

Actually ''capiltalisation'' as originally put in your first post has 15 letters, and i don't think they were giving you a hard time, but merely pointing out the irony that in the post where you justifiably criticised my spelling, you made errors (arguably typo's) of your own.

I had noticed the typo's too, but assumed you's slipped them in as an amusing trap to see if anyone bit.

edit...oh not another typo....you's instead of you'd...and a dodgy apostrophe too..;)

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 10:58
 Why are these people employed? - Iffy
By the way gb, if you want the old CV proof-read, just fire it across. :)
>> By the way gb, if you want the old CV proof-read, just fire it across.
>> :)

Yeah right, give you 'orrible lot a reet gud larf, i'll wear me hair shirt and pants for the rest of the year too. :-)
...Yeah right, give you 'orrible lot a reet gud larf, i'll wear me hair shirt and pants for the rest of the year too. :-)...

No no, I meant privately via our ever-helpful moderators.

Confidentiality assured.

>> No no, I meant privately via our ever-helpful moderators.
>>
>> Confidentiality assured.

Thanks for the offer Iffy, might just take you up on that if what i'm working at doesn't pan out.
I could go back to the cars at any time, but it's taken many months to recover from all those years, never again.
...I could go back to the cars at any time, but it's taken many months to recover from all those years, never again...

My knowledge of lorry transport is pretty much limited to what I've read on here, but is it right driving a car transporter is regarded as being near the top of the tree in your game?

>> but is it right driving a car transporter is regarded as being near the top
>> of the tree in your game?

Pay wise, probably, though along with many jobs the last few years have seen things turn upside down, and apart from those trucks you see signwritten with a certain manufacturers name (dead mens shoes still, and among the best manual jobs in the country), the differential in rates has closed somewhat.

The amount of work you have to cover and the knowledge and skill needed to produce that production constantly without damage is exhausting, not just with the load they drive like nothing else...i'm sure you've all noticed the number of rollover reports in recent years.
You can't beat experience, sat navs for example are only used to locate the whereabouts of a road in a strange town and then plot your own route, otherwise they're useless if not dangerous.

The differential in pay has eroded and the gap is now not really large enough to warrant the responsibility, hours, sheer hard work, time away from home and it's associated toll on personal life to be worth it for the many of us who have quit...most of whom hopefully used their earnings to make their futures secure whilst they were there.

My son still does the job, in his early thirties he's one of relatively few youngsters doing it, the hours, filth and sheer hard work and certain dangers involved are not wanted by younger fellows any more, women drivers are rare and the ones that do it are very competent.

Quite where the ageing driver's replacements are going to come from isn't clear, the obvious answer has been tried but except in very few cases, unacceptably high damage and accident rates have made them uneconomical.

>> >> Confidentiality assured.
>>

GB, you can always leave out your personal details from the draft you send to Iffy or anyone else for comments.
>> GB, you can always leave out your personal details from the draft you send

Fair comment, though i would trust Iffy as it happens, no con man could be quite so infuriating as him shirley..:-)
'No - what CP has posted shows they are both the same.

'"I don't have a problem with the word "capitalisation". But that is not what you originally put, which was "capiltalisation".

'I can count - 14 each.'

Let's try again.

C-A-P-I-T-A-L-I-S-A-T-I-O-N = 14 letters

C-A-P-I-L-T-A-L-I-S-A-T-I-O-N = 15 letters

They are not the same. Are they? :-)
>> 'I can count - 14 each.'
>>
>>
>> Let's try again.
>>
>> C-A-P-I-T-A-L-I-S-A-T-I-O-N = 14 letters
>>
>> C-A-P-I-L-T-A-L-I-S-A-T-I-O-N = 15 letters
>>
>> They are not the same. Are they? :-)
>>
He has gone to count his socks to find the missing one from his yesterday's washing.

>> "What I posted is not relevant if I am being misquoted and given a hard time by CP and you too!!!!! Time for the excitement of sorting out my sock drawer I think! "

Mr Perky Penguin, you are not very perky, are you. I am not having a go at you but you need to get new glasses, or learn to count, and/or learn to spell.

p.s. Why not try adding a built in spell-checker to your browser to catch the obvious typos and the odd misspelt word?

Why are these people employed? - swiss tony
>> p.s. Why not try adding a built in spell-checker to your browser to catch the
>> obvious typos and the odd misspelt word?
>>
Very good idea, one which I did ages ago.

Another good idea, is to read the posts for their content, and not worry about the odd spelling and/or grammar mistake/typo.
 Why are these people employed? - Pat
I think Perky is doing his best on what might not be a good day for him.

His best is good enough for me.

Pat
 Why are these people employed? - Bellboy
hes just having problems with his pinkies
My apologies to ALL concerned! I can count but I can't see to count (screen definition) I wish I hadn't commented in ANY way on other people's spelling, grammar, punctuation or 'O' levels. My brain hurts and my socks are a mess. Please accept this apology for me being a grumpy old fool!
... Please accept this apology for me being a grumpy old fool!...

Only on the condition you continue to post as normal.

We need our oldies, grumps and fools. :)

Why are these people employed? - Pat
Don't worry PP, we understand.
If I hadn't been out all day I would have sorted this lot out long before now:)

Pat
>> If I hadn't been out all day I would have sorted this lot out long
>> before now:)

Ha, in your dreams.

that's it i'm off..;)

Perky, no apologies needed, somebody's got to take the flak it might as well be the old truckers (not a typo)...makes a change from this lot getting at us on the road.
"...given a hard time by CP..."

Sorry, PP. I used to be a schoolmaster. Old habits die hard.
As Confucious observed - "Once a schoolteacher, always a schoolteacher; once a night, finished at 40".
PP wrote, "Confucious".

I was going to post a comment, but decided against it.

[Puts red pen away.]

:-)
...PP wrote, "Confucious"...I was going to post a comment, but decided against it...

Go on, say it, you know you want to.

'Confucius' appears to be the accepted spelling, although presumably that is a translation from some language or other, so there could be room for interpretation.

why are these people employed - WillDeBeest
There must be data protection considerations too. Data holders have an obligation to keep data accurate - which some seem to honour more thoroughly than others - so an expiry date before update or deletion seems to be no bad thing.
 why are these people employed - madf
At a time when the overheads of a business are under threat, the needs to keep a databse up to date can justify retaining more staff..

Edit: What's an O level? better than a fail?
Last edited by: madf on Fri 4 Feb 11 at 16:43
 why are these people employed - Cpt. Flack
To the best of my knowledge I don't recall an O Level English Grammar. There were two, English Language and Literature.
>> were two, English Language and Literature.
>>

Quite right CF, it was a figure of speech...i attained the former but you'd never know.
O-Level English Grammar would be an exam. GB wrote 'O-Level English grammar', which would be the English grammar taught and tested at O-Level. It's Friday afternoon, for heaven's sake; leave the poor chap alone!
}:---)
 why are these people employed - Cpt. Flack
Yeah, so it's Friday. And my working "week" starts tomorrow. You obviously don't know the contents of the O Level English Lang paper then. Grammar was not a seperate test.
 why are these people employed - John H
>> seperate
>>

seperate? wozat innit.
Calm down, Captain. You're quite right, but you've twice contradicted an assertion that no-one has actually made. Grammar was taught as part of the English Language syllabus, and tested in the O-Level exam at the end. What GB and I wrote is entirely consistent with that.

Hope you've enjoyed your 'weekend'. Mine starts...

...now.
}:---D
 why are these people employed - Londoner
Dragging the thread back on topic ....GB has raised a good point here. (And all he gets is petty criticism!)

There are lots of non-jobs around. It's worse than that, though. In order to look busy, some of the people in these non-jobs actually make life harder for the rest of us, with surveys, useless training, "tidying-up" initiatives and so on.
 why are these people employed - John H
>> some of the people in these non-jobs actually make life harder for the rest
>> of us, with surveys, useless training, "tidying-up" initiatives and so on.
>>

And what have you done about it, apart from whinge on this forum? ;-)
 why are these people employed - Armel Coussine
>> And what have you done about it, apart from whinge on this forum? ;-)

Oh come on. I am sure that like any decent Londoner he would give false information to researchers, disrupt training and generally make an untidy mess. I like to think so anyway.

Fair play for Londoners in recognition of their specificities and human dignity!

:o}
 why are these people employed - SteelSpark
>> There are lots of non-jobs around. It's worse than that, though. In order to look
>> busy, some of the people in these non-jobs actually make life harder for the rest
>> of us, with surveys, useless training, "tidying-up" initiatives and so on.

It's only partly to look busy. It is mainly because they want to be in charge and boss people about, without ever having to actually achieve anything, and also never be held to account.

If a project fails it is the project manager that gets it in the neck, not the HR department who made their job next to impossible.

Putting somebody in a position of power but without the responsibility for the the output of the people they affect always has been a recipe for disaster.
 why are these people employed - Dave_
Do lorry drivers need perfect spelling and grammar?

This is not a dig at GB, I are one too.
 why are these people employed - Pat
I've been meaning to answer this one Dave but somehow haven't found the time.
Last weeks course included a 12 question Tacho test, all multiple choice answers that I'd put together just to see what had been retained from last year and what wanted more work this year.
Most scored around 9 out of 12, but one driver only got 3 questions right.
Now, Brian is due to retire in a couple of years and I have worked alongside him for all of 11 years.
He is a excellent lorry driver, and knows the job inside out as you would expect, as it's all he's ever done.
I made a joke about his very low score and was so embarrassed when he replied, 'Well, I can't read much really Pat, I never was any good at school'

I need to have a serious re-think this week about ways to evaluate how much they remember from last year because I suspect that Brian may not be the only one with this problem and there is no way anyone should have to admit that, in front of a room full of workmates.

It's also the reason for my displeasure at the pedantry we get sometimes on the forum.

I can see that big haulage companies have to ask for a CV now days, and I also accept that spelling and grammar on a CV are paramount and will see you pass or fail at the first rung of the ladder.

It also goes a long way to explain why some of the big haulage companies seem to have so many Muppet's working for them.

Having good grammar is fine but it doesn't help when an air pipe is split and can be temporarily repaired with a roll of insulation tape to get you off the road and out of everyone's way.

Horses for courses, I think.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 6 Feb 11 at 05:57
>> I need to have a serious re-think this week about ways to evaluate how much
>> they remember from last year because I suspect that Brian may not be the only
>> one with this problem and there is no way anyone should have to admit that,
>> in front of a room full of workmates.

Fear not Pat, in a place like your old one or any other proper haulage company that employs worthwhile people the vast majority of staff will be old school even if they're young, and as such will be well aware of their own strengths and weaknesses, they will think no less of this fellow than they did before, and woe betide any outsider who makes a derogatory comment.
Though fully understand how you feel, seeing as the scoring highlighted things.

I know several proper truck drivers with poor reading, writing but especially grammar skills...not as i have any right to be critical...as Pat rightly say's these fellows are among the most competent, safe and reliable that i've ever known.

Didn't mean to start a literacy debate here, it was the irony of having jumped through their specific hoops they still deleted my CV, a waste of my time and theirs.

Latest Forum Posts