Non-motoring > Thermal Skirting Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Kevin Replies: 5

Thermal Skirting - Kevin
We're just about to do a bit of decorating and I'm thinking of having the wall mounted radiators replaced with thermal skirting.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Kevin...
 Thermal Skirting - bathtub tom
Look very closely at the relative heat outputs.
 Thermal Skirting - sherlock47
I looked at it once, the full run around the room was not enough to replace the 2 radiators, and the total cost was horrendous. Straight runs are not cheap, but if you have alcoves, bays etc, the costs of corners makes servicing an exotic car seem cheap!
 Thermal Skirting - Kevin
>..the total cost was horrendous.

Ouch!

I didn't think the hardware would be so expensive. £80/metre at approx 190W/metre. It works out at around £4k (plus fitting) to replace the three rads I was considering.

They're taking the P at those prices.

Kevin...
 Thermal Skirting - Dave_
For that sort of investment you could seriously look at an entire underfloor heating installation.

From what I could see at college, the modern way is to install these less powerful heating systems such as ground source, air source and solar panels, in conjunction with the most modern construction and insulation methods. New houses are so well insulated they don't need much input to maintain a comfortable temperature, which is the only reason low-power renewable heating has become viable. Unfortunately most of us don't live in 2011 building regs standard houses so we still need big, finned radiators with outputs in the kilowatts.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Tue 8 Feb 11 at 22:51
 Thermal Skirting - Alanovich
I shall be wearing my thermal skirting at Murrayfield this coming Saturday.
Latest Forum Posts