Non-motoring > Supergran to the rescue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 15

Supergran to the rescue - VxFan
A elderly handbag heroine fought off robbers armed with sledgehammers as they attempted a smash-and-grab raid at a jewellery store in Northampton.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fAnvW_djCo

I bet her grandchildren are well behaved.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Feb 11 at 01:03
 Supergran to the rescue - Bromptonaut
Corner of Gold St, I know it well.
 Supergran to the rescue - Pat
Has anyone thought about the person standing filming it, instead of doing anything to prevent it?

Pat
 Supergran to the rescue - Focusless
>> Has anyone thought about the person standing filming it, instead of doing anything to prevent
>> it?

Depends on who it was I guess. If it was some young kid, supplying video footage which could help catch the criminals might be the most useful thing they could do.
I'd assumed it was CCTV when I saw it last night. The area will certainly be covered as the road down to the left, Bridge St, is the centre for what passes for nightlife in Northampton.

Alt, given how quickly the filming starts I wonder if an associate of the perps was filming it for their CV!!
>> I'd assumed it was CCTV when I saw it last night.

Looks a bit too jerky for that.

About 10s in someone walks past the camera, showing that it's at about waist height - perhaps trying to be surreptitious?
 Supergran to the rescue - Fenlander
Assuming this whole event is genuine then the footage would have been very useful to the Police so good on the person who took it. No reason why they should have waded in against criminals who could have stabbed or hammered them... that has to be a split second choice down to the individual.
 Supergran to the rescue - Iffy
People did come to help, eventually.

I witnessed a street robbery of a lass's mobile phone by a lad on a pushbike.

It took a few seconds to work out what had happened.

He cycled into the back of her and at first I thought it was an accident.

Me, and a few others, gave chase and carried out a citizens' arrest.

We'd never have caught the little blighter, but he tripped as he tried to clear a fence and fell in a heap on the other side.

This gave his podgy, unfit middle-aged pursuers just enough time to catch up.

But we used our extra weight to good advantage when we did get hold of him.
Local reports identify here as a retired market trader on her way to/from the town's Market Sq. Didn't identify event as a robbery at first but thought lads on bikes were bullying someone.

And the cameraman just happened to be there filming for an NHS documentary.
 Supergran to the rescue - VxFan
>> Local reports identify her as a retired market trader ....

As do some of the tabloids - and the BBC www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12402472

Some papers have also published her photo, and one report said:-

[Ann’s neighbours told yesterday how she had already transformed the rundown block of flats where she is believed to live. Nicholas Welch, 31, said: “She’s lived here a long time and has lot of pride in the area. It’s changed since she’s been here. She’s at the heart of the community. She makes sure old people are all right.” Another resident said: “She has been in many crime-fighting meetings. She’s fronted up drug dealers in the past.”]

Vx

That & the on linked Sun report all fits. Gold St links one of our town's more depriverd estates (and the bit that features in reports of street prostitution) with the town centre and Market.
 Supergran to the rescue - Iffy
Most people would applaud this woman's actions, as do I.

But one can make oneself 'too busy', and it seems she is in danger of doing that in her community.

She needs to relax a bit, and others need to step forward to share the load.

Supergran to the rescue - Snakey
At least this had a happy ending. It could has so easily gone the other way. One crack on the head from the bats they were carrying and we could be looking at a fatality.

I wouldn't recommend risking your neck to stop thieves from taking some overpriced watches but I would if there was person in danger. I.e the lady in question was being attacked.
 Supergran to the rescue - FotheringtonTomas
>> I wouldn't recommend risking your neck to stop thieves from taking

The reason why there are so very many thieves is closely linked to this statement.
 Supergran to the rescue - Snakey
>>
>> The reason why there are so very many thieves is closely linked to this statement.
>>

Could well be. My life is worth more than a Rolex watch though. Especially to my family.

Thieves will always steal. As plod seem to have all but disappeared from the streets it will continue.
>> >> I wouldn't recommend risking your neck to stop thieves from taking
>>
>> The reason why there are so very many thieves is closely linked to this statement.

You sound like you disagree with the sentiment FT. Do you?
Latest Forum Posts