Non-motoring > The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 150

The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Pat
Two weeks ago I put out my blue bin to be collected. When I went to fetch it in I found it hadn't been emptied so after sneaking across the road to look in a neighbours to check the bin men had been, I looked all around the bin for a notice explaining why.
There wasn't one anywhere and that had always been the usual practise in the past.
I rang Fenland District Council who explained that the bin lorry now had a new piece of equipment in it where they logged on to a central computer and gave reason for not emptying a bin straight to Fenland Hall.
She looked at the computer and told me it was contaminated with 'textile' and that was the reason they hadn't emptied it.
As it was my fault I had to wait another two weeks for it to be emptied but they would post me some recycling bags out to put my rubbish in during that time.

I suppose it was contaminated, Mr pda had put an oily duster in it from the garage after polishing Bertha.

This morning I put the blue bin out with the duster duly removed and 2 bags by the side of it of recycling rubbish collected since the last failed attempt.

Well, I heard the bin men come this morning but I was on the phone, so I went out to fetch in the bin later to find the two bags had gone, the top third of the bin had been emptied but it was still two thirds full.

By now I was spitting fur and feathers, and phoned the lady at Fenland Hall again, to ask why they had emptied part of my bin but not all of it.
She looked on the computer and duly told me it was contaminated again.
I asked what it was this time and insisted she contact the bin lorry to find out.
She came back to tell me it had food waste in it.
I asked where it was, as it wasn't in there now and she couldn't tell me.
I asked why they didn't just come to the door and tell me, she said they didn't have time to do that. I pointed out that they obviously have time to sift through item by item though.
I argued that in view of the facts before me it appears that the bin men can refuse to empty a bin without any proof of anything wrong being there, to maintain their bonus.
She of course, denied they would do this, but she would, wouldn't she?
After a full and frank discussion, she agreed to send someone to empty my bin tomorrow BUT if it is found to be contaminated in any way I will be charged a fee for this.

So, this afternoon saw me stood out the front sifting through the bin to make sure there was nothing in it that couldn't be recycled and I found..... one very small dried, wizened parsnip.

Next week I shall empty the contents of the mouse trap into the blue bin, so if he wants to sort through my rubbish it will be up to him to prove I put it there, and that it wasn't attracted by a bin not emptied on a regular basis.

Recycling...what a load of rubbish, give me a good old bonfire any day.

Pat
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Mapmaker
I have no sympathy whatsoever.

I am a big fan of recycling -and a hater of waste.

Parsnips and oily rags cannot be recycled - that's obvious to anybody. Your council is paid for recycling/pays less to have recyclables removed. So it is a benefit to you as a council tax payer to put recycling in the recycling box. Instead you are determined to cost your fellow council tax payers more.

I'm not quite sure why you posted this; if it had been me I'd have kept pretty quiet about my antisocial behaviour.
I did it to annoy you Mapmaker...it appears to have worked:)

Pat
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Armel Coussine
Being a dustman isn't a job for a high-flyer, and it isn't a very enjoyable job, so you wouldn't expect a very high type of person to be doing it.

In the sixties I saw a dustman empty some sticky squash from the bottom of a bottle in a zigzag line along the short tiled path from door to gate of my then house in Highbury. He knew of course that it would soon become a black zigzag that would need to be washed off.

I asked him why he had done it. He said he hadn't, and his two mates gathered round and also said he hadn't.

I realised later that we hadn't bunged them at Christmas, and that may have been the reason. Unpleasant, pathetic people are everywhere and life's too short to engage with every piece of monkey-like idiocy one witnesses. So I didn't complain to the council. I'd really hate to be a dustman myself and feel a bit sorry for them, awful though they can be.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Iffy
Once again we have a thread at a crossroads.

Do we have a sensible discussion about waste disposal?

Or do we let Mapmaker continue to prosecute his pathetic little vendetta against Pat?

Much as a forum scrap can be entertaining, I think the sensible discussion has more long term value.

We have only just got a recycling bin at Iffy Towers, and so far the council seem content to empty it without going through every item.

I am quite content to abide by the rules, but they can take some working out.

For example, 'stretchy plastic' needs to go in the old general refuse bin, but 'non-stretchy' plastic can be recycled.

Or it might be the other way around.

Either way, it is not clear to me which category my empty pop bottles fall into.

To make my views clear on recycling, I am happy to do my bit.

I will pay far more attention to doing 'my bit' when the manufacturers stop using silly amounts of packaging that simply arn't necessary.
I don't want the junk mail that is in every magazine I buy, or that comes through my door. Neither do I ask for the amount of wrapping that covers every single thing.
Deal with the situation at source and bin collections would be halved.

>>if it had been me I'd have kept pretty quiet about my antisocial behaviour. <<

Pot calling the kettle black!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 18:30
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Armel Coussine
Recycling is quite sensible and I don't mind it myself, although being ordered about by waste disposal executives is a bit tiresome. My wife is a keen and conscientious recycler. She also has a bee in her bonnet about plastic carrier bags. I get regular scoldings for allowing Tesco to lavish them on me instead of taking an old one or a permanent shopping bag. But I often forget. It really annoys her.
Recycle them AC, re-use them as pedal bin liners
Pat
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Cpt. Flack
Taking Pats scenario, what if she put the recycling bin out for collection and a passing numpty happened to open and deposit a banana skin or such. This bin would then be contaminated and Pat would have to wait another fortnight for a collection. And with a black mark at council HQ. All through no fault of her own.

We have fornightly collections for rubbish and recycling. I wouldn't mind seperating either if they were both collected once a week. Missing a collection mounts up the rubbish. I cannot see why the onus is not placed on the depots and the general waste seperated by operatives there. Would create employment and serve a purpose. It would take the necessity away from homeowners and place it with the councils. If they abide by EU legislation on recycling then they would be okay. They should know how best to serve the regulations. Isn't that what I pay my council to do, along with many other functions I know.

I have heard that in some areas the recycling has been mixed with rubbish and carted off to landfill anyway. Why should the likes of Pat and the rest of us be tasked and then accused when we get it wrong
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - PeterS
>> Taking Pats scenario, what if she put the recycling bin out for collection and a
>> passing numpty happened to open and deposit a banana skin or such. This bin would
>> then be contaminated and Pat would have to wait another fortnight for a collection. And
>> with a black mark at council HQ. All through no fault of her own.

That's exactly the problem we have; our recycling wheely bin (which takes glass, paper, cans, cardboard, plastic etc) gets left at the end of the drive, and invariably gets topped up with the odd banana skin, apple core or kit kat wrapper. TBH I'd rather that than people dropping their litter on the ground. Fortunately our bin men don't appear to have time to go through our rubbish...yet ;-)
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Tooslow
When I'm allowed out on my own I always remember to take the re-usable supermarket bags with me. Shame I never remember to take them INTO the supermarket :-(
John
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - John H
>> Or do we let Mapmaker continue to prosecute his pathetic little vendetta against Pat?
>>

Iffy - I thought your mantra was "attack the post, not the poster".

The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - MD
>> I realised later that we hadn't bunged them at Christmas, and that may have been
>> the reason. Unpleasant, pathetic people are everywhere and life's too short to engage with every
>> piece of monkey-like idiocy one witnesses. So I didn't complain to the council. I'd really
>> hate to be a dustman myself and feel a bit sorry for them, awful though
>> they can be.
>>
You are just too kind AC. Wouldn't it be nice if we all 'Got Bunged'. Christmas or otherwise. Lord above I am beginning to hate folk.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Tooslow
They're public servants Pat. And they like to let you know who's in charge!

I have put out plastic bucket things with a recycle logo on them. They are carefully removed and left for me to put in the general waste bin. Everything else is taken. Baffling.

John
Just to add to the reason for my displeasure I would like to explain that some years ago I lived alone for eight years. During that time I had to move house 6 times and there is the inevitable pieces of furniture appliances that won't fit in a different house.
I had access to a car trailer and used to take them to the tip ( as we call it)

I used to go alone as I had no choice, but when I got there everything had to be carried up a set of steps and thrown over the top of a skip, making sure it was the right skip.
I was struggling one day with a chest of drawers and was told in no uncertain terms that I was putting in the wrong bin and it had to be moved across the yard to the correct one. No help was offered, and they watched me struggle to do this.

I returned an hour later with the second load to find the chest of drawers standing at the front of their portakabin 'on sale' to anyone who wanted to buy it.

I objected, but was told I wasn't allowed to make that choice as they were allowed to 'sell' any item left at the tip.
If anyone had wanted it, I would have happily given it to them, I just didn't want those jobs worths to make money out of it after watching me struggle.

Pat
...after watching me struggle...

That surprises me a little - sort of thing I'd expect to happen in the big city.

I've done some tipping from the caravan due to a new carpet and some new furniture.

The staff at the tip were helpful to the point of pouncing on me to help empty the car.

It wasn't about money, either, the lad refused my offer of a couple of quid.

"Not allowed to take it," I was told.

At my next visit, I dropped a tube of Hobnobs into the bait cabin.

They took those gratefully, which I thought was a sensible solution.

So Iffy's top tip for the tip is take 'em some biccies, teabags or instant coffee.

The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Duncan
>> >> I returned an hour later with the second load to find the chest of drawers
>> standing at the front of their portakabin 'on sale' to anyone who wanted to buy
>> it.
>>
>> I objected, but was told I wasn't allowed to make that choice as they were
>> allowed to 'sell' any item left at the tip.
>>

A tip near my SIL has dining room tables laid as if for dinner! Place settings, wine glasses, the lot! All for sale, all; presumably thrown away by local residents!
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Focusless
I can understand the men objecting to the oily rag, but why can't they just put such odd extraneous items into a rubbish bag on the lorry (and leave a warning note perhaps)? That would also cover Cpt Flack's point about other people contaminating your bin.

Obviously they have to draw the line somewhere, but it seems like they could provide a better service for not much extra effort.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Old Navy
You lot should think yourselves lucky, our council only collects landfill, paper and garden waste. Anything else has to be taken to a recycling point at supermarket car parks, rail stations, community centres etc. and put in the appropriate bin for plastic, cans, clear glass, brown glass, and green glass, Or to the main council tip recycling centre.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 19:16
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - smokie
It's hardly "green" is it, all of us running about doing short journeys to the tip, no doubt queueing with engines running when we get there, to dump stuff that could easily be collected.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Fenlander
>>> I just didn't want those jobs worths to make money out of it.

Perhaps it was a bit chicken and egg Pat... they could see you thought they were jobsworths and just wanted to avoid any disappointment :-)

I frequent Whittlesey tip and have spent a decade learing the black art of getting stuff in the *right* skip to avoid that shout.... *Mate... you can't put that in there*

I can carry bags of mixed metal/wood/rubbish as if they weigh nothing and put them in the general skip witout the metal clanking, I even devised a plausible excuse for the vast amounts of old engine oil I took in every month.

Of course if you are a real business dumping your trade waste against the rules on a Friday afternoon it's fine as long as you have a spare tenner.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Manatee
The problem with this Taliban behaviour at the tip is that lots of people who feel they have been unreasonably turned away won't take the stuff home, they just dump it in gateways. Since the local tip closed there has actually been less fly tipping. They really were appalling (it was privatised).

The more distant one we now use is huge and spread out, but they can still be awkward. I put rubbish in the Land Rover which they have objected to on occasion as being "too large" or a "commercial vehicle". I find it's best to go when it's hissing down and they stay in the cabin.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Harleyman
We're immensely fortunate in the backwoods of Carmarthenshire; still have a weekly collection which is simply black bags (supplied by council) and no recycling; the town collections have wheelie-bis, compost tubs, etc.

Local recycling is equally easy; the recycling complany opposite my workplace take cardboard, paper, plastic, glass and polystyrene, though oddly there's no skip for metal cans. Council recycling centre is a 4-mile drive but they deal with pretty much everything; most trucks have to pay, but this is where my old pick-up comes into its own, as one of the foremen is a huge fan of old Yanks and I get away with murder!

One thing I notice driving round the back lanes of Wales, especially around the Valleys, is people dumping stuff in the middle of nowhere, blighting beautiful countryside. Not so much flytipping of spoil etc, but domestic stuff like old clothes and household goods. With trhe amount of waste disposal facilities available today there really is no excuse for it; can't help thinking that some of them must use more petrol going out onto the mountains than they would just taking it to the local tip!
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - swiss tony

>> I was struggling one day with a chest of drawers and was told in no
>> uncertain terms that I was putting in the wrong bin and it had to be
>> moved across the yard to the correct one. No help was offered, and they watched
>> me struggle to do this.
>> I returned an hour later with the second load to find the chest of drawers
>> standing at the front of their portakabin 'on sale' to anyone who wanted to buy
>> it.

That's the exact attitude from tip operatives, that made me decide long ago, NEVER to take anything to the tip in one piece.
The last washing machine I disposed of, took about 4 trips, over a period of around a month....
Reading tip used to be a tip but a few years ago became a very sophisticated operation, all indoors:
www.re3.org.uk/household_page.asp?id=2

Made a few trips there while moving house recently and staff were always helpful. On one of those trips they had people with clipboards doing a user satisfaction type survey, which probably helps keep the staff on their toes.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 20:33
I have seen council tips (in the south) with ANPR cameras and displays that show your registration number. The Crawley tip didn't seem to mind that I had an Edinburgh registration even though I used it several times in one day. :-)
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - rtj70
Our recycling centres uses ANPR. When I moved out of the last house and visited the refuse site(s) a lot I split the trips between the three equidistant ones :-)
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - hobby
Our lot are pretty good, just two bins, one for green waste the other for landfill... We have been recyling far more since this was introduced...

Re binmen and their intelligence... I remember one guy who used to work as one who used to be an accountant, he got fed up with the hassle and dropped out! So don't judge all binmen as of low intelligence, they may be cleverer than you!
We got the full complement of recycling bins around here in late 2009. We moved back to the area in May 2010.

We are lucky to have space to hide them out of site and it is surprising how much more we recycle now. And the amount of food waste now sent to composting instead of landfill is surprising. We should cut down on waste full stop though.

I think pda's tale will be all more common in future though... watch this space.

Our council are forcing people to recycle because the black bin is by far the smallest of the four and is collected every two weeks. Actually the plastic/glass is once a month I think.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Zero
Do not get me started in this, Its made my blood boil in the last two weeks.

My local council, in their infinite wisdom decided we would recycle. We have been given a blue box (for glass and tins - all need to be washed), a black box for plastics and card, A blue bag for news papers, a green box for food waste and the ordinary bin.

At first they were all going to be collected on different days, but after death threats to the council they decided to collect on one day. So we have to drag out to the front three boxes one bag and one bin,

So come collection day this happens.

At 07:00 the bin men arrive - empty bin

At 1200 recycling men arrive, who promptly empty blue bag, black box and blue box ( that we the householder have carefully sorted) into the same effin bin lorry in one big lump.

At 15:00 the food recycling men arrive.

Believe me, you think I get humpy on here, you would not believe the abusive and sarcastic letter, copied to MP that winged its way via royal mail. I cant believe I pay this lot, and I am legally obliged to do so. By god I hope some cuts hit this shower hard.

The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Bromptonaut
What Zero describes sounds quite like ours except South Northants make it work.

We have a black bin (landfill), green bin (garden waste and compost-able card etc), black box (tins & plastic bottles) and finally green box (paper & glass). Tins, bottles etc have to be washed but thats no great imposition. It helps if cans are crushed.

Collections are always on the same day (Monday here) but alternate fortnightly Black bin & box with Green bin and box. A dinky little calendar is distributed in November to show which weeks are green and which black The bins and boxes are collected by different vehicles but they usually follow each other around.

No problem getting extra boxes if you need them but landfill overspill in bags is verboten.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 22:00
The only downside to my system is that I always get the most resounding crash for glass ;-)
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - R.P.
Reasonable, if labour intensive system here. Two bins one for non-recyclable waste and one for compost-able waste. A blue box takes paper, tin, glass, plastic and cardboard - never had any trouble with the bin chaps - except when I wanted to dispose of some "big bags" that had transported a ton of gravel (about 6 bags in all) I asked if they would allow me to chuck them in the back of the wagon, they allowed me to do so but I was left in no doubt that it was "wrong" and they were worried that a self-appointed Blockleiter would denounce them to the Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse in Caernarfon. They seem very good here - the only complaint that they tend to leave trails of litter behind them when they collect. Everything theu won't take is expected to be delivered to one of the many re-cycling yard is council run, and very efficient and it's very clean. All six councils in North Wales have a different policy. The highest performing council in the area is Denbighshire - they allow you to dump all the re-cycling in one blue wheelie bin. I wish they'd standardize the way this is done across the counties - I face an uncertain re-cycling future as I change counties in the next few months (hopefully).

I've heard (unofficially) that the collectors have a higher threshold of tolerance towards people who bag up the separate components of the blue box - the council offer a second blue box for cardboard but I use a hessian bag (from another LA area) - even the dog knows it's recycling night on a Wednesday.

They missed one collection over the Great Ice Age - but the truck drivers around here also drive the gritting lorries or so I understand. They work in all weathers - they get on with it in a robust way.

Bryn Terfel lives in the next but one village - he has a big house and there were always two general waste wheelies at his gate. He has become known locally as "Bryn dau fin" or Bryn two Bins....which is rather funny !

Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 21:55
Zero we have four wheelie bins. And nothing will be collected if its not in a bin. A small green composting bin for food waste and the bags then end up in the green bin.

Before this system we had bin bags, green bin and a black box. The latter was for tins, plastic and paper. The bin bags provided were transparent blue and I often saw the bin men checking the contents of the bags - which is why I continued to use black bags ;-) Cheeky to look at what was thrown away.

What I find odd is we have gone from a bin for each coloured glass to one for all glass, plastic and tins.... I doubt the glass is properly recycled anymore.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Bellboy
happy with the system here now its basically settled
can see the binmens reasons for non collection as it can be a dangerous job at the best of times (found used needles in my drain the other month from someone local )
somebody keeps pinching our glass collection box though and its been mentioned people steal them to grow drugs in,dont know if its true but i found out today marijuana is £10 per 1.1 grammes so obviously with each plant only being worth a grand at harvest time they need to nick our containers
:-(
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Dave
I pay £30/year for the bin, and 20p/kilo for the rubbish I put in it. I can chuck anything in it, they don't care, as I'm paying. The wagon is driven by one guy who never has to get out the cab - an arm comes out and grabs the bin, checks the chip, weighs the bin, dumps it in the back, re-weighs the bin, andplonks it back on the side of the road.

A few miles down the road are the recycling bins. Very simple - hard plastic, soft plastic, paper and cardboard (including envelopes and corrugated), metals, and glass.
If I see them chuck all my carefully sorted rubbish into the same bin lorry again, it will be contaminated with bodies.
>> If I see them chuck all my carefully sorted rubbish into the same bin lorry
>> again, it will be contaminated with bodies.
>>

You have got me thinking Z, I recently emptied my recycling into the approriate bins at the nearby recycling point. All the bins were empty but there was only one set of lorry tracks in the snow. Our council has had flak for mixing recycled waste in the past, they may be at it again.
Rubbish collected weekly - black bags put out front - and recycling alternates between
- a pair of black boxes for paper/cardboard, and plastic bottles and tins
- green bags (up to 2) of garden stuff

No glass collection, but happy overall with the system. Only problem I've had was when one of stepsons was doing a free paper round and I tried to get rid of the leftovers (20 odd IIRC) in the paper/card recycling. Not allowed - fair enough really, I just hadn't read the rules.
I noticed that the council had been putting stickers on over stuffed wheelie bins and telling people off for not re-cycling. Something has to be done and I don't know that what we're doing is quite right - exporting thousands of tonnes of plastic to the far-east has to be wrong.
When the bottom fell out of the recycling market (so the far east was not buying our waste)... our council started mixing all grades/colours of glass. I bet this is all in a big store somewhere now waiting for someone to buy it. Or landfill.
>> When the bottom fell out of the recycling market (so the far east was not
>> buying our waste)... our council started mixing all grades/colours of glass.

Did I read somewhere that, rather than being re-cycled for bottles etc, glass was used in road surfacing?

Googled, some is used to make 'glasphalt'
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 22:24
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - CGNorwich
"exporting thousands of tonnes of plastic to the far-east has to be wrong."

Why?

They make thousands of tons of plastic products and sell it back to us - its called trade
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - MD
Glass (I believe) is being used as a by-product (if that is the correct expression) as a rendering material..............but ask me no more as I haven't pursued the info'.

Rendering as in a coating for buildings. Not taking apart Horses for glue!!
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - BobbyG
I drive past the main landfill in Glasgow every day and not only is it stinking, and an eyesore, it really does remind you to try and minimise the amount that is going intothe ground.

However, we never get any flak from our council, I have not heard of anyone being pulled up for wrongly recycling, I would go as far as to say I am not convinced that the stuff is being recycled at all!
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Ted

I don't really have any hassle whatsoever in getting rid of surplus rubbish.

I've found some nice quiet, pretty country lanes round here. If you go at night, no-one seems to object, so it must be ok to use them!

Ted
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - devonite
Don`t bother sortin/recycling your plastics. just chuck it in your landfill bin with the rest of the landfill stuff, cos thats where your council puts it anyway! (according to Johnathan Maitland on the Tonight programme last year).
Allegedy our councils were so "rubbish" (pardon the pun) at sorting our plastics, our recycling firms cannot use it, so it was shipped to Indonesia for sorting, and then "bought" back correctly sorted. Since the credit crunch this became uneconomical to do, so they just started binning it on landfill. as far as i`m aware, the sorting problem hasn`t improved,(not at our depot anyway) so I assume thats where it still goes "on the quiet!"
For us with fortnightly collections for landfill waste... plastics can go in with the glass. Might end up in the same place but it's an extra bin to fill up.
>> I noticed that the council had been putting stickers on over stuffed wheelie bins and
>> telling people off for not re-cycling.

Our bin men will not touch a wheelie bin if its lid is not completley closed. Or if it has the wrong stuff in it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 10:37
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - teabelly
Tip operatives round here are usually quite helpful. Every time I've been with a lot of stuff they've usually helped load it.

Recycling here is a joke. There's a box, food bin, 3 or 4 assorted bags and a cardboard bag. I don't bother. I'm not a bleeding bin man and I'm not storing all the carp filling up the house with stuff because they won't take it or will be fussy about exactly which bag it is in. The cardboard bag is too small and blows away. On recycling days the streets are strewn with litter. The rubbish on the pavement is a trip hazard. The food bins attract rats and stink to high heaven. Most of the plastic bottles and cans end up in storage as there is no market for them so the council are making a big fuss about recycling then making us pay to store all this crap! And the local PFI incinerator has just tried to fine that council £400k for not sending them enough waste to burn!! It's a joke.

There are plenty of unemployed people that could be paid to sort waste. They sort the damn stuff when they get it anyway! It's just petty little jobsworths that won't take the stuff.

All food waste bar onions and meat goes into my own compost bin. Not that I ever use compost for anything.

I don't tend to get fresh veg as I forget to eat it so frozen means zero waste. Squishy mushrooms make great soup so they're never wasted.

Apart from anything else how can you stop stray items ending up in a box which is left out on the street?!
>> She looked on the computer and duly told me it was contaminated again.
>>

>> Recycling...what a load of rubbish, give me a good old bonfire any day.
>>

The people to blame for all this:

EU - news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7634488.stm

Bill Gates - for making software and PCs so easily accessible to bureaucrats.

>> The people to blame for all this:
>>
>> EU - news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7634488.stm

Disposing of re-usable rubbish by dropping it into holes in the ground is unsustainable. It does not (or should not) need the EU to tell us that.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Cliff Pope
What's all this about recycling? We only started getting a waste collection at all a few years ago. Before then we had to take our waste to a community skip.
We do now get a weekly black bag collection, but no recycling.
The wonder new planet-saving low-energy lightbulbs full of toxic metals go into landfill when their short and dim lives are over.
Eric Pickles (C) lambasted Labours policy introduced while he was in opposition about the fortnightly rubbish collections.

Now he is in government he has gone a bit quiet on the issue. I sent him e-mails asking when he was going to force councils to revert to weekly. No response. I did point out that my council was one of the first to go over to fortnightly collections under Labour, and it happens to be a Conservative run council.
Depends what you call weekly... we have a weekly collection, but only one bin (of the two) is emptied each week... Is that a weekly or bi-weekly collection?
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - overthehill
We get Landfill emptied once a fortnight, alternating with Recycling once a fortnight and a Green/garden and vegetable rubbish bin also emptied once a fortnight. Our recycling is VERY good, somewhere there is a vast machine and some people who sort it. We can put in all types of plastic and polystyrene packaging, paper and cardboard, glass, textiles and we don't have any of this carp about not taking your bin if the lid isn't shut. Somebody's green bin was rejected the other day but it weighed about a ton as it had been filled with paving slabs and earth and would have broken the lifting mechanism on the truck!
We have alternating weekly collections and find this more than enough. Some weeks there is so little in the bin I don't bother to wheel it up the drive for emptying so the bin contains 4 weeks waste when it is finally emptied. There are only the two of us but we do try to avoid unnecessary packaging ( still using the Waitrose re-usable bags supplied 18 years ago) and shred all garden waste. Turned down the offer of a bin for food waste as we don't have any.
CGN.

Very good points.

My food waste goes onto the compost heap. Probably illegal, but there we go. Otherwise my only food waste is bones and vegetables left over from the stock pot (and that's not very often), and I admit the occasional mouldy slice or three of bread.

My non-recyclable waste fits into a tied-up supermarket plastic shopping bag a week.

Don't make the waste in the first place - far better than all the faffing.
>> Eric Pickles
>> Now he is in government he has gone a bit quiet on the issue. I

A bit quiet? Utter rubbish!

Here is Pickles speaking on the issue just two weeks ago:
see tinyurl.com/475azsx (links to The Telegraph)

>> Disposing of re-usable rubbish by dropping it into holes in the ground is unsustainable. It
>> does not (or should not) need the EU to tell us that.
>>
Exactly my point, Bromptonaut. The EU should keep out of it. We don't need the EU nannying and threat of fines. The councils are acting like the "Taliban" because they fear the al-Qaeda type behaviour and threats from the EU. No common sense can be applied, because bureaucrats love their "computer says NO" rigid systems.
Last edited by: John H on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 10:07
There is a climate of fear that's true.
>> >> Disposing of re-usable rubbish by dropping it into holes in the ground is unsustainable.
>> It
>> >> does not (or should not) need the EU to tell us that.
>> >>
>> Exactly my point, Bromptonaut. The EU should keep out of it. We don't need the
>> EU nannying and threat of fines. The councils are acting like the "Taliban" because they
>> fear the al-Qaeda type behaviour and threats from the EU. No common sense can be
>> applied, because bureaucrats love their "computer says NO" rigid systems.
>>
>>

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that... if the EU were being as draconian as you say then ALL councils would be doing it... But many, as can be seen by the replies, aren't, and I assume that they are still fulfilling the recycled rubbish quota just as the others are. Its all about interpretation of the requirements and how its implemented, just like the British interpretation of H&S is very different to the rest of the EU.

The blame should be laid at the doors of the bad councils, not the EU. Those of you who have bad councils should be getting onto your local councillors and asking why they are not doing it in a more sensible way...
"A bit quiet? Utter rubbish!"

One article in almost a year of government. And what date will it change back to weekly. Nothing in the article on that point. Oh... and quiet as in not responding to e-mails sent to his office.

>> "A bit quiet? Utter rubbish!"
>>
>> One article in almost a year of government. And what date will it change back
>> to weekly.

Plenty of other articles if you care to spend time looking them up.

>> Oh... and quiet as in not
>> responding to e-mails sent to his office.
>>
Oh, ... and quite right too if you are not a constituent of the MP. It is supposed to be Standard Westminster Practice, me old son.

>> Oh, ... and quite right too if you are not a constituent of the MP.
>> It is supposed to be Standard Westminster Practice, me old son.

As a Minister he should not be replying just to his constituents. However, appraoching him via your own MP will get his attention ni a way email will not!!
He's a Minister, ain't he Dad, me old China

>> Exactly my point, Bromptonaut. The EU should keep out of it. We don't need the
>> EU nannying and threat of fines.

But unless the EU tell them to (or perhaps until 'EU directives' give them some cover) our domestic politicians will not grasp the nettle.
Surely it's absolutely obvious why the recycling men shouldn't have to sort parsnips from cardboard.

The moment you accept that a single contaminating item is acceptable is the moment that the system fails.

Why should responsible households have to pay extra to have their neighbours' recycling picked over for other rubbish?

It's called social responsibility, and refusal to sort waste falls into the same "not my problem" category as blaming - rather than sympathising with - entrepreneurs when their businesses fail. Just in case it's not obvious from my other posts, I resent those who expect it all to be given to them without having to return to society. Those who believe they have a right to a job. Those who take, take, take. (And a list of specific examples where they claim to return to society does not forgive them for deliberately acting against society.)

I am not surprised OP cannot be bothered to comply with the rules.

Now, of course, there is the whole question of whether doorstep recycling is worthwhile or correctly done.

1. Europe says we must do it, or be fined. Therefore we must do it. The requirement for councils is to collect the rubbish separated; if it them all goes to landfill, then the council has fulfilled its requirements so does not suffer Government fines.

2. All too often, sorted rubbish is all dumped in the same, non-sorted truck. (See point 1.) I complained to my own council about this, and they promised to improve training and that it wouldn't happen again. It didn't. See point 1 - was this in fact just a complete greenwash* and a waste of taxpayers money? possibly.

3. Of course recycling is worthwhile. I believe it is our duty. Regular posters will know I am no hair-shirted lefty. I believe it is incumbent on us to preserve the world's resources. Therefore recycling should be done.

4. How much energy does it take to recycle? You won't catch me washing up my dirty tin cans in clean water; you won't catch me making a special journey in order to recycle (a single glass bottle - some believe that driving in order to recycle a piffling amount will save the world; it won't, it costs the earth).

Agree 100%.

It is when it looks like Zero's house

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/18/article-1194050-0561BB9B000005DC-548_233x670.jpg
i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/17/article-1193780-05622F72000005DC-523_634x480_popup.jpg

and street
i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/17/article-1193780-05622F1E000005DC-866_634x286_popup.jpg
i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/17/article-1193780-05622FBE000005DC-215_634x221_popup.jpg

that the idea is rubbished.

Whilst we're moaning. There are two standard wheelies here. One is a well designed (apart from the licorice hinges which pop out or break easily in any tumble) - date stamped 1998 - it's a good 'un. The other bin is an "improved" model dated 2008 - ten years of progress has seen properly designed hinges installed. Both bins are housed in a purpose built wooden frame with gates so that they don't blow over in what the townies here would call a gale but is a mere breeze up here ! To enable the lids to open the correct way the bins are "driven" into the store so that they can also be pulled out easily - I suspect that the later bin has been aerodynamically designed and the law of unintended consequences that the design leaves an concave "dip" in the lid that will hold around half a pint of rain-water - so when you open t from behind it goes nicely down the front of your trousers.....

The fragile hinges have been resolved by one village "ted" by replacing them with proper steel (chromed) bolts which will last forever in my opinion.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 10:48
>> >> 3. Of course recycling is worthwhile. I believe it is our duty.
>>
>> Agree 100%.
>>
>> It is when it looks like Zero's house

John, I called at Zero's for a cuppa but we couldn't get through to the kitchen !

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/?action=view¤t=Zeroshallway.jpg

Ted

>>
Hey... he's got my cordless drill and electric tile cutter!
I didn't realise the Lancer had a towbar.
>> I didn't realise the Lancer had a towbar.

Yeah, its used for hauling Kia's off to the tip.
You won't be putting that scruffy trailer board on my car, the lights on it are duff. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 17:20
Well mapmaker, I see you could’t resist that swipe at me personally once again, could you?
Since your post is a direct reply to mine I think you have made it more than obvious that you resent me simply having the temerity to post anywhere on these forums.
Can you clarify what society has given me personally, or in fact what I have failed to give back?

Why do apportion me as someone who thinks they have a right to a job?
I am have never been out of work in my entire life for more than a couple of days, simply because I could never afford to be. I have done the lowliest jobs imaginable sooner than claim benefit, and will always have the attitude that that alone, entitles me to hold my head as high as you obviously do.
The only social responsibility I feel at the moment is to see that others of my working class roots don’t ever allow themselves to feel downtrodden or browbeaten into silence by people like you.
It obviously annoyed you that I refused to be drawn any further in the Pre-pack post and you couldn't continue along the path you were so determined to, so I see you have tried to bring it into this one.
It won’t work here either.

I note you have your suggestions listed, but have failed to address my suggestion that the recycling problem should be tackled at source with the amount of packaging being used.

Is it not worthy of consideration?

Two of the contracts the firm I worked for have, are for packaging.
If you had any idea of the miles the packaging does before it even gets to wrapping the food you may take me seriously.
We also have a contract to pick up plastic waste for recycling from all around the country. Most of this is then sent in containers to China to be processed, remanufactured and yes, returned to the UK in a different form.

Having said that, I doubt it, your intention seems only to belittle me and discount any opinion I may have.

As I've said before in this post...It won't work.

Pat
>> The only social responsibility I feel at the moment is to see that others of
>> my working class roots don’t ever allow themselves to feel downtrodden or browbeaten into silence
>> by people like you.

Why do so many people who have "working class roots" feel the need to resort to the equivalent of a "race card" whenever their views are challenged? Why do they feel so proud of their roots and yet use it as an excuse to win an argument. Why when they are so proud of their roots do they resort to their "victim status"?

I don't see Mapmaker ( or me for that matter in many threads) taking any personal attacks - we don't know you. It is just t'internet, innit?

BTW, do you not see the point Mappy is making - that you admit that your bin was contaminated, that therefore the Council employees were doing what they are instructed to do by their bosses. It is the council policy makers you should be aiming your rant at, and in addition to ranting and raving here, you should write to your Councillor, your Council's Waste Services Director or Cabinet member, your MP, and Eric Pickles. If enough people did that, there may just be an outcome of this saga that pleases you.

Note - This is NOT a personal attack.

I completely agree that there is too much packaging. Equally I seldom buy things that are packaged in more than a plastic bag. I cannot actually think of the last thing I did.

>>Since your post is a direct reply to mine I think you have made it more than obvious
>>at you resent me simply having the temerity to post anywhere on these forums.

Paranoid or what. I replied to the first post as I often do on this forum, merely so that my post landed at the bottom. As you started this thread, it's scarcely surprising I referred to you (by reference to a parsnip!)

>>The only social responsibility I feel at the moment is to see that others of my working
>>class roots don’t ever allow themselves to feel downtrodden or browbeaten into silence
>>by people like you.

You've got a terrible chip on your shoulder; quite class obsessed!

Since you both seem to post the same thing I can answer you both in the one post.

I'm certainly not proud of my working class roots, but neither am I ashamed of them.

I find it tiresome that as soon as anyone admits to being working class, they are judged as having a chip on their shoulder.
I'm not the only one to notice that you both talk to me in a manner you wouldn't dream of using when replying to many others on here.
Neither do I get the respect of not having my personal actions discussed at any opportunity.

That suggests if there is a chip, it is one of your making, albeit unsuccesful.

There was a request made at the start of this thread to debate the subject not attack the poster, hadn't you noticed?

Pat
Is the parsnip a working class root?
It's worse than a tea bag...apparently:)

Pat
>>I find it tiresome that as soon as anyone admits to being working class, they are judged
>>as having a chip on their shoulder.

That's just nuts. Why do you have to "admit" to having working class roots as though it is something about which you are ashamed. Why are you class obsessed? Why are you going on about it? A quick search of the forum suggests that "class" is used either by you, or about railway engines. What class do you think my roots are?

>>I'm not the only one to notice that you both talk to me in a manner you wouldn't dream
>>of using when replying to many others on here.

That's ridiculous and paranoid. It's the internet, for all I know you could be PU's altea ego. I respond to postings. When I disagree with postings I post thus.

>>Neither do I get the respect of not having my personal actions discussed at any opportunity.

Post about your personal habits (of e.g. expecting the binmen to sort your rubbish) and expect people to comment about them.

>>There was a request made at the start of this thread to debate the subject not attack the poster, hadn't you noticed?

All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 14:33
>> There was a request made at the start of this thread to debate the subject
>> not attack the poster, hadn't you noticed?
>>

No, it is you who keeps taking replies to your posts as attacks on you personally.
Stop being so paranoid about it.

>> talk to me in a manner you wouldn't dream of using when replying to many others on here.

Not true at all. You are displaying a persecution complex. I use the same tone and manner irrespective of the poster. Trust me, I have great respect for you as a person; and that is irrespective of your gender, class, job, education as it would make no difference to me what you have said about your personal background. My intention is merely to make the poster aware of how things look from a different perspective, see that the same subject can have a different point of view.

Last edited by: John H on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 14:43
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - L'escargot
Our binmen literally run, and don't have time to check the contents of bins.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - FotheringtonTomas
Do you know why they run?
>> Do you know why they run?
>>

No.
"Seeeee how they ruuuuunnn"
There's actually a very good reason - it's so that they can finish their day's work quicker.
>> Next week I shall empty the contents of the mouse trap into the blue bin,
>> so if he wants to sort through my rubbish it will be up to him
>> to prove I put it there, ............

What useful thing would that achieve?
Recycling mice was banned by a Geneva convention....
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Clk Sec
>> it's so that they can finish their day's work quicker.

Is it still referred to as 'job and finish' ?
...Is it still referred to as 'job and finish' ?...

I've heard 'job and knock' in the North East.

I guess that would be 'knock off' as opposed to 'knock, knock'.
Bins have just been collected now (general waste) - Studied them in more detail than I ever needed to do before, they took a couple of bin bags from an overstuffed bin and but them in my partly filled bin before loading them into the lorry. Common sense approach to the problem as I see it. Significantly this is a council owned and operated scheme not some contracted nonsense.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Snakey
I don't mind recylcing and to be fair our lot are pretty good (Durham) but as soon as they start mucking me about its time to start fly tipping.

;-)
>>Common sense approach

We're fortunate in that respect, too. On the rare occasions we've put out an item that we shouldn't have, that item is removed by the collectors and left for us to dispose of elsewhere, with the rest being taken away without complaint.

The staff at our local tip couldn't be more helpful, and will always offer assistance where necessary.

The only moan that I have, and it's not really any of my business because it's a few miles away in another area, is where multiple bins and boxes are issued to householders who have little choice but to keep them in their (very often) minuscule front gardens. Just enough room for three bins at a squeeze, and an otherwise attractive street is completely ruined. Thankfully, my own council have the good sense to provide plastic bags where necessary.
>>> householders who have little choice but to keep them in their (very often) minuscule front gardens.

We're casually househunting at the moment and this issue makes a street/area a complete no no for us. Not just the small front gardens but any area where the housing layout encourages the three bins to be prominent.

Don't get me started over bolt-on gas/elec meter boxes in terraced/semi streets!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 13:41
>>Don't get me started over bolt-on gas/elec meter boxes in terraced/semi streets!

Quite right. Ours are exactly where they should be - inside, out of sight.
...inside, out of sight...

Yes, out of sight of the meter reader.

The boxes are not good looking, but they do allow readings to be taken when the property is unoccupied during the day, which many houses, and particularly flats, are.

The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Alanovich
I can't get my head round all this. Our binmen take absolutely anything, in any quantity whatsoever.
BTW our bin collection men are very good too.... unless someone really takes the pee. Very much in contrast to the comedy routine at the local tip.
>> BTW our bin collection men are very good too.... unless someone really takes the pee.
>>

As pda is whinging about Fenland, does your comment mean she lives in a different Fenland or is she one of those you class as "someone really takes the pee"? ;-)
>>>As pda is whinging about Fenland, does your comment mean she lives in a different Fenland

Pat lives under the umbrella of Fenland District Council but despite living in the land of the ever sinking house we are under the Huntingdon DC.

>>>or is she one of those you class as "someone really takes the pee"? ;-)

Not at all... Pat can do as she likes and I'd never seek to group her! I was meaning our way they will take just about everything including clearing bins with lids that a little bit open. However try and put your old moped in the grey bin and they'll sling it out onto the lawn.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 14:04
I see in our local free paper today Fenlander, that we could all soon be under the same council. Huntingdon, South Cambridge and Fenland is what's proposed.

This is the first time we've had any problem in almost 4 years of living here and I suspect it is caused by the new piece of communications equipment they have in the cab. Once the novelty has worn off we shall be back to normal.

Pat
I think you have a point Pat.
>> here and I suspect it is caused by the new piece of communications equipment they
>> have in the cab. Once the novelty has worn off we shall be back to
>> normal.
>>

Which is why I said lay the blame partly at "Bill Gates" door:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=5057&m=110852&v=e

>> I can't get my head round all this. Our binmen take absolutely anything, in any
>> quantity whatsoever.
>>

The UK is infested with jobsworths.
>> as soon as they start mucking me about its time to start fly tipping.

That would affect the rest of the population, not the council.
>> >> Next week I shall empty the contents of the mouse trap into the blue
>> bin,
>> >> so if he wants to sort through my rubbish it will be up to
>> him
>> >> to prove I put it there, ............
>>
>> What useful thing would that achieve?
>>

It would prove how spiteful and nasty the poster putting mice in the bin is.
At least I manage to maintain my sense of humour!

Pat
"So, this afternoon saw me stood out the front sifting through the bin to make sure there was nothing in it that couldn't be recycled and I found..... one very small dried, wizened parsnip"

Next year, you will know what to do. Find out where your councillors live. When the apples start to fall, collect some, visit your councillors, and add to their rubbish.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - helicopter
We have a bin for green waste . Last summer the local collectors refused to take my neighbours bin from the roadside to the cart - a matter of some two yards from the verge to the back of the cart where it is picked up automatically.

It was filled to the brim but not overflowing with hedge clippings ... their reason for not collecting was because it was 'too heavy'....

Strangely my frail 82 year old neighbour with a dicky heart and prostate cancer had managed to bring it without problem some 20 yards from the rear of his bungalow to the correct collection point....

Jobsworths indeed...

I have no problem with our binmen...they're a cheery lot and happy to let on to you.

There were some hiccups at the start....MIL put a cracked cheap cutglass bowl in the glass bin and they wouldn't take it....just slapped a note on the bin. I shovelled the bits of a broken safety glass glazing unit inh the glass bin and that wasn't acceptable. I got all the bottles and cans out with a litter picker and emptied the bits into the landfill bin.

When I was cutting down my Poplars, the green bins were full to the brim with chippings, well tamped down...for some weeks....massively heavy, they were taken with no complaint.

All our bins are taken on the same day now. Two each week and three every other week.
Trouble is, that means 3 different carts and operating teams.....lots of DERV used there !

Ted
I did the heavy green bin thing. I put an A4 piece of paper on it with the word HEAVY printed. Hoped it helped !
Our green bin is quite heavy when I think about it when empty! Now it gets food waste in small bags and all garden waste. Now do they compost all of it?
It can't always be easy for councils to ensure that only specified materials are put in recycling bins. For example, our council specifies that the only plastic items which are acceptable are those identified as polyethylene terephalate (PTE) or high density polyethylene (HDPE) ~ because they are the only plastics that their customer will buy. I wonder how many people abide by that rule? Because only a relatively small number of plastic packaging manufacturers mark the material on their products I petitioned the PM online to make it a requirement that all plastic packaging should be identified ~ after all, it's the government that wants us to recycle. My petition was rejected.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 11 Feb 11 at 09:49
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - teabelly
Supermarkets need to have a giant bin where all the packaging bought from them is returned. Tins, bottles, trays, the lot! This way you are not messing about with 3 or 4 bin collections. You just return your waste to where you got it from.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Jul 11 at 10:25
>> Supermarkets need to have a giant bin where all the packaging bought from them is
>> returned. Tins, bottles, trays, the lot! This way you are not messing about with 3
>> or 4 bin collections. You just return your waste to where you got it from.

It's not practicable for most people to do that. The current system of having a recycling wheelie bin is the best.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - BiggerBadderDave
"Supermarkets need to have a giant bin where all the packaging bought from them is returned. Tins, bottles, trays, the lot! This way you are not messing about with 3 or 4 bin collections. You just return your waste to where you got it from."

Many of them do where I live and that's exactly what I do. I take all my recycling back to the supermarket containers. It's free and it means I only need fill one wheelie bin of waste at my house per week (which I have to pay for).
>> >> Many of them do where I live and that's exactly what I do. I take
>> all my recycling back to the supermarket containers.

In my area the council have recycling points for glass, plastic, and metal cans in most supermarket car parks, also community centres, rail stations, and other areas. They only collect paper / cardboard, (blue bin), garden waste, (brown bin), and landfill, (grey bin). Grey bin one week, blue and brown the next. They are currently trialing three different systems in various parts of their patch and will soon decide which to roll out across the whole area.
Pat is lucky she does not live in MK

www.recycle.org.uk/content/view/30567/1/

A green campaigner who left a bio-degradable bottle next to an overflowing recycling bin faces a huge fine - and even jail - after a council accused her of fly-tipping.

Self-confessed eco warrior Ruth Boden-Webster, 50, has been conscientiously sorting her rubbish for recycling for more than 30 years.

Yet council wardens pounced when the school teacher left a washing-up bottle on the ground at a recycling centre at her local Tesco in Milton Keynes.
According to the pictures in the linked report (which on-links ot Iffy's organ) what she left was not an ordinary w-u-l bottle but a large plastic jerry. Probably 10-15 litres, certainly larger than the 5l jobbies screenwash comes in. It may have been bio-degradable but it ain't going to rot down overnight or even in a year or two.

Sorry but people who find the recycling bins (at Tesco in this case not the Councils civic amenity site) full should take their rubbish eleswhere. Leaving it stacked round the bins to blow around or be kicked around by the local tykes deserves a £50 fine.

Man up Ruth & pay.
...Sorry but people who find the recycling bins (at Tesco in this case not the Councils civic amenity site) full should take their rubbish elsewhere...

Agreed.

...which on-links to Iffy's organ...

Media footnote: I see the pics are copyright SWNS - Small World News Service, the online arm of South West News Service - which is an agency who will have sold the story to the Mail.

This fits because it is likely a self-styled green campaigner - or any campaigner - will have knowledge of their local media.

swns.com/about-swns
>> A green campaigner who left a bio-degradable bottle next to an overflowing
>> recycling bin faces a huge fine - and even jail - after a council accused her
>> of fly-tipping.

She should stick to her guns. I do not see how this can be "fly tipping", when it was appropriate waste left at a recycling facility (i.e. land licenced to receive such waste) for the council to collect - not abandoned/dumped "in a manner likely to cause pollution of the environment or harm to human health". Knickers to them. Perhaps I'll send her £50 too, like t'other fellow.
If their recycling bins are like ours they only take bottles up to 4 litre milk or crushed 6 litre size anyway, anything bigger goes to a tip with recycling facilities. Here it would be classed as littering or fly tipping.
You can make an argument for it being an acceptable way to deal with that large bottle.

But... what if it were 1,000 sheets of A4 paper. Out of the car, into the recycling bin, absolutly fine. Out of the car, dump by the bin, all blown away.

Or if it were 100,000 "chads" out of a hole punch. FT would you consider it acceptable for her to dump those on the ground just because the bin was full?
>>She should stick to her guns.

So she should. I very much doubt that this will get to court, and if it does, it will be thrown out.

In this instance discretion is called for.
So she throws her crap on the ground next to the bin, everyone else comes along and sees that and does the same. Its Friday, by Monday the whole place is a sheet heap.

If its not IN the bin its DUMPED.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 12:16
>> if it were 100,000 "chads" out of a hole punch. FT would you consider it acceptable
>> for her to dump those on the ground just because the bin was full?

Entirely acceptable if they were suitably packaged.
Possibly unacceptable under different circumstances.
Unacceptable if thrown around in handfuls all over the place.

It's a matter of applying some common sense - which is what whichever nincompoop who is taking this action should be doing. We can all apply common sense, can't we?
The recycling skips will either be lifted and emptied mechanically or swapped out for empties. No provision in that system to uplift rubbish left by the bins.

Common sense says don't leave it there. If it gets to court that will happen because she has ignored the proportionate response of a fixed penalty and has decided force the council to prove her guilt before the bench. She seems to admit leaving the rubbish so mounting a defence might be difficult.

Court will not need to consider gaol which is intended for big time fly tipping rather than casual littering. But she will inevitably get a fine well over the FP level plus costs. Does littering mean a criminal record as well?
...Does littering mean a criminal record as well?...

Good question.

These sorts of offences have always struck me as something of grey area, but I think the short answer is yes, she will have a criminal record.

Although she will not be photographed and fingerprinted, which she would if she stole something, fly tipping is still a conviction at a magistrates' court for which there will be a punishment.

To me, that is a criminal record.

Having said that, I don't think she would have to declare a fixed penalty for this offence as a criminal conviction.

The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Stuu
We must have the slackest bin men around. I put bottles in our plastics box with the lids still on, even though your supposed to take them off. I stick a certain amount of soil on the garden waste bin even though it says no soil.

Ive never had an notice telling me off. Long may the sanity last, it all goes in landfill anyway, they are kidding nobody.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Perky Penguin
What legal or legitimate powers do council wardens have on Tesco's property. I know their premises are deemed to public places, in terms of cars, but what about for plastic bottles? Where are DVD/PU when we need them?
...What legal or legitimate powers do council wardens have on Tesco's property...

I don't think jurisdiction is a problem.

If I throw litter and it flies over the hedge and lands in your garden, or it lands on the pavement, it's still littering.

I suppose it would be too much to expect the CPS to see some common sense on this one.

Pat
Someone in authority will see how ridiculous this is. A lifelong eco warrior makes one small mistake...
Before the advent of kerbside collections our village had a recycling centre on the church car park. Mess from stuff left by the bins whether bottles, cans, paper or plastic was a big problem.

Even plastic items as large as the jerry in the subject post will blow around in a high wind.
>> If I throw litter and it flies over the hedge and lands in your garden,
>> or it lands on the pavement, it's still littering.

If it lands on the pavement, it could be littering. If it lands in your garden, it could be something else. However, is that what she's done? No, it isn't.
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - bathtub tom
>>If I throw litter and it flies over the hedge and lands in your garden, or it lands on the pavement, it's still littering.

Are you sure Iffy? I understand that's the problem with fly tipping, it becomes the problem of whoever's land it ends up on.
...Are you sure Iffy?...

It doesn't matter where the litter lands, if it's not supposed to be there.

In the example of your garden, I could avoid a fixed penalty if you made a statement saying: "I asked Iffy to leave a Coke can in my garden, he did so with my permission."

Put another way, were I to challenge the fixed penalty, you would be asked to make a short statement to say you had not given me permission to put anything in your garden.

The offence would also be made out if a warden saw me throw away a carrier bag, and it blew away in the wind, never to be seen again.

In that instance, as a nasty, lying, littering swine, I would probably try to defend the allegation by saying the wind took it out of my hand.

A defence which may or may not work, depending on the precise wording of the statute, how I performed in court, and the attitude of the magistrates.

>> She seems to admit leaving the rubbish so mounting a defence might be difficult.

What is the charge? Why might it be difficult to defend against it? She has left material for recycling at a facility licenced to receive such material. She hasn't "fly tipped" anything, or left litter.
FT

I'm not sure what 'a facility licenced to receive such material' comprises.

If she'd left it at the Council's recycling centre then I might have some sympathy. Such places are staffed and should have the processes/capacity to deal with outsize waste and bins that fill up. This was one of those places on a supermarket car park, unmanned and presumably emptied on some sort of rota. If it's full then leaving stuff by the bins is littering in just the same way as if it was thrown form her car and should be dealt with as such.

Mind you if she left a label on with her address it suggests carelessness on the spur of the moment rather than pre planned dumping.
>> Mind you if she left a label on with her address it suggests carelessness on
>> the spur of the moment rather than pre planned dumping.

Of course she planned to leave it there - she'd taken it there and left it there. Quite deliberate leaving of material for recycling - not dumping, or "tipping".
...She hasn't "fly tipped" anything, or left litter...

There are signs at the recycling facility telling members of the public not to leave larger items.

If Tesco make a statement to that effect, and one suspects they will because they put up the signs, the woman does not have the landowner's permission to leave the container.

Which amounts to littering, or fly tipping.

The council spokesman says fly tipping at the facility is a problem, which also suggests Tesco will back the prosecution.

I can't get John H's earlier link to work, so here's a link to the Mail story:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361404/A-green-campaigner-left-bio-degradable-bottle-overflowing-recycling-bin-fined-council-bosses-fly-tipping.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

There's a good chance that someone will pay the fine anonymously. Seems to happen quite frequently in such instances.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 13:49
 The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Roger.
Cat among pigeons time.................................
I really couldn't care less about recycling.
Much of the stuff finishes up in the local landfill anyway.
It is a diktat forced upon us by unelected apparatchiks in Brussels, supinely agreed to by our servants in the House of Commons and eagerly enforced by otherwise unemployable oiks in council offices trying to justify their miserable existence by imposing their authority on others.
So many avoidable costs are being incurred by kowtowing to every petty environmental (and myriads of other) rules and regulations dreamed up by the E.U., that if we told them to micturate in the direction of off, we could clear our deficit in double quick time and live free of petty tyranny, too.
Edited for spelling!
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 20:04
>> It is a diktat forced upon us by unelected apparatchiks in Brussels, supinely agreed to
>> by our servants in the House of Commons and eagerly enforced by otherwise
>>

All those thousands of people employed by the EU - well, they've got to find something to do to while away their time in their plush grand new offices.

>> It is a diktat forced upon us by unelected apparatchiks in Brussels, supinely agreed to
>> by our servants in the House of Commons and eagerly enforced by otherwise unemployable oiks

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we need the so called 'diktat of Brussels' to work out that just tipping all our rubbish in old quarries is unsustainable we deserve everything that's coming.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 22:45
>> I can't get John H's earlier link to work, so here's a link to the
>> Mail story:
>>

Time to take your iMac to the recycling dump and get yourself a decent Windows PC. ;-)
...Time to take your iMac to the recycling dump and get yourself a decent Windows PC. ;-)...

Yet another advantage of having a Mac.

It's got an aluminium case, so forum snipers' bullets bounce right off.

The Dustbin Taliban land in fenland - Manatee
Recycling queen fined for fly tipping

goo.gl/goirt

(Daily mail link)

>> Recycling queen fined for fly tipping
>>
>> goo.gl/goirt
>>
>> (Daily mail link)
>>

Wakey, wakey, time to wake up.

See yesterday's posts (from Tue 1 Mar 11 10:58 onwards).

Latest Forum Posts