Non-motoring > Flat roof replacement Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 46

Flat roof replacement - smokie
I have a flat roof in need of repair. It's over back of the lounge, where we sit at night, and has three outside walls (cavity filled) - but can still get cool at times.

In acquaintance has quoted me for the work, the spec is:

Rip out the old stuff, remove all waste (so no unhappy bin men!!)
To apply a primer to the existing decking.
To lay a single layer of Icopal Vapour Check Base Felt which will be mechanically fixed.
To lay a 100 mm thick Insulation board adhered in hot bitumen.
Apply a base layer, 2 mm thick, of torch on Icopal Elastomeric underlay felt.
To apply a cap sheet, 4.5 mm thick, of torch on Green Icopal Elastomeric felt.
To use green cap sheet and turn in at upstands, dress over edges and down at gutters.

The quote also includes new fascias but not replacement guttering and an optional new deck if the old one is knackered. The room is 14 x 14 or thereabouts.

I did ask for an insulated product, but know very little about it all. Can someone advise if the materials and method are the mutts nuts (just like the price!!), or is there something else I should be looking for or speccing? Or am I overdoing it?

As an aside, anyone care to hazard a guess at the cost? (Bear in mind this is generally a high cost area for workmen).
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 18:14
 Flat roof replacement - Old Navy
I believe it is always worth spending a few quid extra and putting a pitched roof on a flat one that needs replacing. I have done it twice on different houses and the extra cost is not that great. Flat roofs always leak eventually.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 18:47
Not sure I can do that without massive change - I have a bedroom window above the roof. I don't think I'd get enough slope, would I?
I am not an expert, we have two local long established roofing firms. These are the type of people to speak to. Buy cheap, pay twice is worth remembering.
 Flat roof replacement - MD
Smokie. Forget it. Fibreglass is the way to go.

Best.................MD
>> Smokie. Forget it. Fibreglass is the way to go.
>>
>> Best.................MD
>>

I suspect that MD is light years ahead of me in the field of building. I suppose a fiberglass boat is an upside down roof. Would a van roof fit? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 19:19
 Flat roof replacement - Clk Sec
>>I don't think I'd get enough slope, would I?

That shouldn't be a problem. Get a couple of roofers around for a quote.
 Flat roof replacement - Zero
Fibre Glass. Fit it once and forget it.
 Flat roof replacement - RichardW
Another vote for fibre glass here - had ours done in 2008. Wasn't cheap, but should last for ever, more or less.
Shouldn't cost any more than felt.
So...any estimates for fibre glass?
Send me a pic or two.
Will do, in daylight! Thx
 Flat roof replacement - henry k
>>Fibre Glass. Fit it once and forget it.
>>
Zero can you recommend a good "Fibre Glass Man" in Elmbridge ?

I too need a flat roof sorting.
I think it is the original so 80 years old. It has about an inch thick bitumen covering at present.

I want to get the cast iron soil pipe replaced and bath, basin and sink waste diverted into the stack first. The existing horizontal part of the pipe runs along the edge of the flat roof and slopes so that it touches the roof prior to going through the little parapet wall.

IIRC You tried a demolition job when removing your cast iron soil pipe?

Zero can you recommend a good "Fibre Glass Man" in Elmbridge ?
This mob

weybridge-roofing-solutions.co.uk

Not cheap tho.

As for the soil pipe, didnt know I posted that tale on here. With experience I would now use an angle grinder to weaken the pipe at desired points and break it with a lump hammer into manageable sections.
Thanks
>>As for the soil pipe, didnt know I posted that tale on here.
>>
Twas in your RF days in days or yore ?
Ah

I still chuckle at that.
>> Ah. I still chuckle at that.
>>
I suspect it made you shudder - it did me !
My only experience of the weight of soil pipe was when fitting a new P trap loo.
I had to cut through the socket that was poking through the wall. It had another socket in it to act as a spacer. I could not believe the weight of this short length.
After your antics I vowed I would get the lads in for the job f replacing the soil pipe.

The rear original gutter and down pipe are shot aswell so time to get all sorted and I do not intend to have any short cuts but a proper job.
 Flat roof replacement - John H
henryk - This mob are in your area

www.ukroofs.co.uk/

and feel confident enough to display before and after photos of their previous work in their gallery tab.

Last edited by: John H on Fri 11 Feb 11 at 12:02
>> www.ukroofs.co.uk/
>>
Noted. Thanks John H
>>I believe it is always worth spending a few quid extra and putting a pitched roof on a flat one that needs replacing.
>>
The best of both worlds ?
GRP and sloping.

www.fgrinnovations.com/Roofing(1908361).htm

"If you already have a flat roof - with our system we can make it a semi-pitched roof without the use of timbers i.e - we can get the EPS cut at 100mm thick running down to 30mm or 25mm or whatever you require."

Flat roof replacement - PeteW
Smokie,

If the flat roof is over a habitable area, and you are looking to repair/replace more than 25% of it then it HAS to be insulated and have a certificate of conformity to building regulations.

As others have said, get this done in fibreglass (I couldn't possibly recommend a company ;->) and forget about it.

Just sold one about the same size for £5500 all in. Complete replacement down to the rafters-18mm decking board, 100mm insulation, vapour control membrane, guaranteed for life and includes all rainwater product replacement as well. Certification etc automatically given to the householder on completion.
Not cheap, but a quality job.
Last edited by: Everest Pete on Fri 11 Feb 11 at 07:55
"As others have said, get this done in fibreglass (I couldn't possibly recommend a company ;->) "... "Just sold one about the same size for £5500 all in"

Happy to look at fibreglass, not gold leaf though... :-)
tell you what, as it's you, and there's a 'r' in the month I'll do it for £5000 if you sign today.......:-)
Knock a nought off and you have a deal :-)
>>tell you what, as it's you, and there's a 'r' in the month I'll do it for £5000 if you sign today.......:-)

Thought you were doing 35% off at the moment!
>> Knock a nought off and you have a deal :-)

Blimey, sounds to me like you should be looking at the blokes from Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

Pay peanuts get monkeys.
>>Knock a nought off and you have a deal :-)

Being serious for a moment, if you genuinely want the roof replaced, get quotes from companies that understand the LATEST 2010/11 building regs Doc 'L'.
Yours will be a warm roof and regs require a U value of 1.8 or better. Most roofing companies haven't got a clue and therefore quote for a spec which can never conform. They then don't apply for a buildings control certification which then leaves you with an 'illegal' roof.
Fine until you come to sell and the surveyor conducts the energy rating survey......

By the way as you can see from my change of name this is honest advice based on experience not an endorsement of any particular company!!
Last edited by: SoontonotbeEverest Pete on Fri 11 Feb 11 at 13:52
>>Thought you were doing 35% off at the moment!

And 10% Cashback...
Quidco too you say??

I am not shy about spending where it's necessary but the roof doesn't really need replacing at the moment anyway, although it will within the next 10 years. I was thinking of getting it done while I'm languishing on the dole so around to "supervise" but really, at the moment, it's not the right time to be spending that sot of money. So I'll probably wait until I get a job (just to make sure that I do) before committing to an expensive roof.

Mind you, I'm thinking of photovoltaic cells on the roof as that seems to pay back quite well in future years... And I haven't yet ruled out Florida in march, it'd be a shame to break an 8 year habit now.
>>I was thinking of getting it done while I'm languishing on the dole so around to "supervise" but really, at the moment, it's not the right time to be spending that sot of money.
>>So I'll probably wait until I get a job (just to make sure that I do) before committing to an expensive roof.
>>
smokie - Languish no longer and save ££££s

www.cgfglassfibre.org.uk/page_1248275562428.html
Now that's more like it.

Do the panel think it would be a job for a bodger?
Smokie, you have e-mail.
I think Smokie is sorted now so I have a question for you. Tile or Slate is NOT the answer.

If one was seeking to have a flat roof replaced would one say Fibreglass...or...Glassfibre? Legitimate question regarding domain names.

Thanks,

Martin.
No views then?
 Flat roof replacement - Pat
I suspect you may want the opinion of a complete outsider type member of the public for this one!
I would qualify and if I was looking at an advert, or seeking something to put on a roof other than tiles or slate, then fibre glass would be what I googled for.

Hope this helps Martin:)

Pat
Isn't it GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic)?

It is actually glass fibres embedded in resin to reinforce the resin.

If you want a really tough F1 quality roof, use carbon fibre reinforced resin. :-)
Yes, but what the blazes would Joe Public google for? Gotta get it right you know. 0:)
>> Yes, but what the blazes would Joe Public google for? Gotta get it right you
>> know. 0:)
>>

Google results show that the canny advertisers include the GRP, fibreglass and glass-fibre within their write up so a search using one of those terms should result in a hit.

You will need to use all the tricks available to you to get your web page up in the rankings to appear on the first page of Google results.
Martin, as John H says, a google search does not use the domain name alone but all the stuff inside the page. In a way the domain name does not matter.
>> but all the stuff inside the page. In a way the domain name does not
>> matter.
>>

Yes, to test it, Google "GRP" or "fibreglass" and "glass-fibre" in turn.

My test brings up this as one of the top results in all three case

www.cfsnet.co.uk/

The domain name has no mention of any of the search terms.

Last edited by: John H on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 09:45
 Flat roof replacement - CGNorwich
There are quite a few posts where posters have had difficulty finding the information they need. This might help;

www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=134479

>> There are quite a few posts where posters have had difficulty finding the information they
>> need. This might help;
>>
>> www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=134479

To follow on a little, if people complain about the sheer number of page hits when searching google, I give them my three tips

The Include:

Use the + sign in front of your search word. For example +glassfibre will bring up all pages with the word glassfibre in them

The Exclude:

Use the - sign in front of a word. For example -fibreglass will bring up pages that dont include the word fibreglass.

The String

Use quotations around a string of words to search for that exact phrase.
For example "Glass fibre is poo" will only bring up pages with that exact string of words.

You can combine all three in one search, for example

+glassfibre -fibreglass +"Martin from Devon" -"likes grockles"

Will only bring back a few pages that contain the word fibreglass, the string "martin from devon" and that do not contain the words fibreglass or the string "likes grockles"

Three simple little tools that provides 99% of the search power you need to drive google, tho i am sure you all knew that.
 Flat roof replacement - CGNorwich
Not normally necessary to use plus sign as Google will interpret space between words as being equivalent to plus sign. Useful though if you want it to include soft words like "the" and "to" in the search as otherwise google ignores them.

One simple thing that a lot of people ignore is to restrict the search to "News" or "Images" etc depending on your requirements, rather than searching the whole web
Zero your input is genuinely appreciated and the +- thing is interesting. I have a colleague who thinks that (folk down here) don't google much, but I on the other hand think that a web presence is essential and that they do. What gets me, rightly or wrongly is I would love to know what the average Joe looks for. I guess that most don't do the + thing, but as erin doors says, you could be wrong.
 Flat roof replacement - Dog
Glass fibre :)
Thanks all. I am aware that the Domain is not the main point if you like, but it may help a little. I have quite a successful site anyway with building search terms and I might just add another page to that. However in these increasingly lean times I need every trick going. Applies to us all I guess.

Regards..........Martin.
Latest Forum Posts