Non-motoring > Rubbish CCTV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 16

Rubbish CCTV - SteelSpark
It makes me wonder why people are bothered about CCTV when this is the best picture they can get of a guy in the West End, which surely must have a pretty high concentration of cameras, relative to many other areas of London and other cities.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12448328
 Rubbish CCTV - Bromptonaut
Not HiDef but if I knew him I'd probably recognise him.
>> Not HiDef but if I knew him I'd probably recognise him.

Yeah, probably, but that's presumably the best shot they could get of him in, what I reckon, is likely to be one of the most densely populated CCTV areas.

Certainly I don't think we have much to fear from Big Brother tracking us for a while, not until they get some better cameras.
 Rubbish CCTV - Iffy
Much city centre CCTV is of very poor quality.

It is often not good enough to be used in a trial at court, although it will be shown if the defendant is pleading guilty and admits the blurry figure in the white top is him.

Footage from behind the counter of shops is often better quality and can help in cases where violence flares unexpectedly between staff and customers.

If it's a pre-planned robbery in which the offender is masked, the footage is of less help.

There was a trial of masked robber in which the prosecution tried to prove identity by his size, and an item of clothing, as shown on the CCTV.

The jury were not convinced and found the defendant not guilty.

>> Much city centre CCTV is of very poor quality.
>>
>> It is often not good enough to be used in a trial at court, although
>> it will be shown if the defendant is pleading guilty and admits the blurry figure
>> in the white top is him.
>>
>> Footage from behind the counter of shops is often better quality and can help in
>> cases where violence flares unexpectedly between staff and customers.

Interesting. Certainly the CCTV pictures they show you when you are entering, say, a Sainsbury's look fairly good.

I suppose part of the problem with outside CCTV comes when it is dark and the pictures are more grainy, and perhaps also because they are generally capturing a wide area, and the picture has to be zoomed, after the fact (might be different if an operator is actually tracking somebody and can choose to zoom on them).

Cashpoints must have pretty good cameras, because I believe they caught that serial rapist of OAPs, from a reflection in a bus window, captured from a cashpoint.
Looking again I think this has been zoomed as far as the resolution will allow to catch the suspect. That top's pretty distinctive, I'd likley remember seeing the wearer.
 Rubbish CCTV - Skoda
Great.

I know 2 people that look like that. It can't have been both of them. Which one do i give a going over to? Can't trust the judicial system to handle serious crimes like this properly.

I'll maul them both then hand them both in, police will let the innocent one go.

*end of sarcastic tone*

If you're going to release information, at least make it accurate. It's ok to say we think the person looks like this and produce an obvious drawing or efit, but it's not ok in my book to say this is *the* person then produce a picture which could be just about anyone.

Last edited by: Skoda on Tue 15 Feb 11 at 18:32
 Rubbish CCTV - CGNorwich
"it's not ok in my book to say this is *the* person then produce a picture which could be just about anyone."

Well if someone in my family had been assaulted and I knew that the police failed to release that picture of the assailant to the public I would be rightly angry and I suspect you would too
 Rubbish CCTV - Skoda
And if the picture was of your son*? Later turned out not to be your son of course, blurry photo, popular clothing, and above all he was in the living room at the time of the incident, in front of your eyes. You know it wasn't him.

Who else knows it wasn't him?

I'm being slightly flippant here, i reckon there's more chance the police have considered all sides and acted on balance (as opposed to this being released by mistake / incompetence).

* pretend you have one if you don't :-)
 Rubbish CCTV - BobbyG
Don't you wish there was the "common sense court" similar to the small claims?

So that any of these head scratching decisions that we hear about everyday can be referred for a ruling. Criteria would be 15 mins max and no lawyers allowed.

Straight forward, forget the laws, forget European Courts, forget Human Rights, make a decision on what commense sense dictates.

Next please..

Not sure if same in England but there is a ruling from European Court that prisoners need to have the right to vote. If we don't give them this vote, then they can claim compensation.

There is a specific lawyer up here who has championed prisoners rights these last few years as it gives him a licence to print money. He won prisoners from one prison £2500 compensation each for having to slop out in their cells. Those compensation payments were the direct cause of the drug price on the streets of Glasgow increasing as suddenly demand exceeded supply.

This same lawyer is now championing the cause of the poor prisoners who can't vote. According to him this is the single most important issue facing prisoners. Heard a recent debate between him and the local MP whose area includes a huge prison. In all his years as an MP, he has never once, not once, had a prisoner complain to him about not having the vote. As he said, where is it all going to end - claiming compensation because they have not been able to see their kids daily or whatever? And I know what lawyer would be there fighting their cause!!
Bobby,

As somebody who wears his bleeding heart liberal credentials on his sleeve can I put an alternative perspective?

The idea of common sense and no lawyers is intensely appealing. However, when you’re up against the state there is a huge ‘inequality of arms’. Even with no lawyers the government would be represented by trained staff who’ve got lots of time & resources and approach the their task with the insouciance of somebody who ‘does this for a living’. They’re playing every fixture on their home ground. A lawyer is the least you need to even up the odds.

Nobody’s making a fortune doing this stuff on legal aid. A very few high profile barristers in large criminal cases get paid big monies (though only after the case is finished). And the headline figure is their gross fee from which they have to pay their rent, their clerk & staff and all the other overheads of a business. For some reason the Wail never pays so much attention to taxpayers money paid out by the CPS.

The big money at the bar or for solicitors is in commercial and areas such as planning land and local government.

Human rights are indivisible. They apply to us all, including particularly those imprisoned or otherwise penalised by the state. Headlines set out to present convention rights and the ECHR as foreign interference. But is it really right that prisoners should have to crap in a bucket, in front of their cellmate and then sleep with a poo festering alongside them?

The ruling on votes does not say all prisoners must have the vote. It says that a blanket ban on all (except remands, debtors & contemnors) is wrong. Giving it some thought and parliamentary time; votes for those on short sentences and those approaching release and the conventions requirements would almost certainly be met.

As you say it’s not an issue for the majority of prisoners but one particularly disgusting convict with a bee in his bonnet has got years of entertainment from the government’s intransigence and fear of headlines.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 15 Feb 11 at 22:24
 Rubbish CCTV - BobbyG
Fair point Brompton, I was speaking slightly in jest re having one person make the decision but the principle was still there.

However I need to take exception to your quote re human rights are indivisible. Yes we have certain human rights but I am firmly of the belief that some need to be earned.

So you commit a crime and we lock you up. There, we have taken away your right to freedom. So why can we not also take away your right to the vote and punish you whilst you are doing time, yes crapping in a bucket is maybe a bit too much but they are supposed to be prison cells, not hotel rooms?

Prison should be a place that when you come out, you just do not want to go back. Ever.
>> However I need to take exception to your quote re human rights are indivisible. Yes
>> we have certain human rights but I am firmly of the belief that some need
>> to be earned.

But who decides the 'rate of pay' for earned rights and what is the methodology?

The rights in the European Convention are subject to a balancing exercise; they can be infringed provided the infringement is proportionate.

Huge furore in today's papers over the possibility of those on the sex offender's register being given a possible right of review. If you actually read the Supreme Court's judgment it's pretty clear that the number who might succeed is vanishingly small. The point is that an avenue exists for the one in ten thousand who can prove they're no longer a threat.

But the press report it as though every rapist & peado in the country might be able to get off the radar. Jonathan King (mentioned in the Wail's coverage) wouldn't get past the reviewers clerical check.
Update on the prisoners votes issue. Compo claims thrown out:

www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/feb/18/prisoners-vote-compensation-claims-blocked
 Rubbish CCTV - CGNorwich
A reasonable point Skoda but on balance the apprehension of a violent criminal would have to be more important than any embarassment caused to an innocent person who bears a similarity to the person the police are looking for.
 Rubbish CCTV - Iffy
Here's a good example of good CCTV.

Very common offence, too.

Yobs, in this case girls, vandalising a convenience store and insulting/assaulting the owner.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357920/Caught-CCTV-Gang-girls-attack-shopkeeper-asks-leave-store.html
 Rubbish CCTV - sherlock47
Seeing how distinctive the top is, I would have thought they could track him from successive cameras until they picked up a hi res camera. I know that some cameras on our local high street are very good resolution from comments made by the local police. However it maybe that they have operator controlled zoom, and achieve good images only when under operator control.

Latest Forum Posts