Non-motoring > Two wrongs don't make a right Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 17

Two wrongs don't make a right - Iffy
The boss who forced a dishonest employee to march through the streets wearing a sandwich board with the word 'thief' on it has paid the guy an out of court settlement.

Taking the law into one's own hands rarely goes down well.

Instead of losing a few hundred quid, this boss has now lost many thousands.

He did a stupid thing and has been made to pay for it.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357217/Boss-forced-pay-worker-THIEF-13k-humiliating-him.html
 Two wrongs don't make a right - Stuartli
Bit similar to the old stocks - some in my village which have been preserved.

Know one or two who should immediately be locked in them today..:-))
 Two wrongs don't make a right - FotheringtonTomas
I've found out where he lives, and I am going to send him some money.
...I am going to send him some money...

Who - the boss or the thief?

Two wrongs don't make a right - nyx2k
how can the boss "make" him wear the sandwich board. has the man no backbone to tell his boss where to get off
 Two wrongs don't make a right - SteelSpark
>> how can the boss "make" him wear the sandwich board. has the man no backbone
>> to tell his boss where to get off

There appear to be claims of violence and physical intimidation (the guy's face does look a bit brusied in the photo).

I'm all for people taking the law into their own hands, in theory, but this just shows that in practice it doesn't work - it would just allow bullies to use anything as an excuse to massively over-react.
 Two wrongs don't make a right - bhoywonder
This country is so so wrong. The boss should be given a medal.
>> This country is so so wrong. The boss should be given a medal.

You generally get a medal for doing something brave. Getting a bunch of your mates to threaten and beat up a guy and then march him down the street with a sign around his neck is generally not considered brave.

Not that I am condoning theft, of course, the guy who stole should be punished.

Give the other guy a medal when he goes out on the street and tackles some burly muggers armed with knives.
The boss is now saying he will have to sell his house to meet legal fees from the civil compensation hearing.

I see the thief was not even convicted, merely cautioned.

He's currently in credit from the episode to the tune of £5,845.

tinyurl.com/6dr4nno

Two wrongs don't make a right - Hard Cheese

The boss was OTT, he should have called the police rather than tied the guy up and humiliated him, it was kind of taking a guilty until proven innocent approach, contrary to the normal way of the law.

However it is otherwise outrageous that he is sufferring in the way that he is, if the alleged theif was cautioned for steeling £800 + then surely a caution would have been enough for the boss too.

>> He's currently in credit from the episode to the tune of £5,845.

Yeah, but he does have a criminal record.

Just in my opinion, what the boss did was much worse than what the thief did. If the thief had instead, kidnapped the boss, beat him up and then paraded him down the street with a sign around his neck, I am sure that people would have expected him to go to prison.

As I said above, I'm all for people taking the law into their own hands in theory, but the reality is that it will just give bullies the right over-react.

Rather than having rapists lynched in the street, we have some guy who nicked a few hundred quid getting beaten up and paraded down the street...not the outcome I was looking for.
...Yeah, but he does have a criminal record...

I agree the boss was wrong, but a caution is not a criminal record, so the thief does not have one.

He can, and indeed should, answer 'no' to anyone who asks if he has a record.

If he offends again, and if he is brought before a court, and if he is found guilty, the caution will be mentioned prior to sentence.

The prosecutor will say something like: "The defendant has no previous convictions, but he does have a caution for theft."

>> I agree the boss was wrong, but a caution is not a criminal record, so
>> the thief does not have one.
>>
>> He can, and indeed should, answer 'no' to anyone who asks if he has a
>> record.

Oh, I was under the impression that it gave you a full criminal record, thanks for clarifying.

Still, that may be a good thing, I'm always a bit wary about getting people labeled as criminals too easily, and all the negative effect that has on their future conduct.

Just my opinion, of course, but it is much more important that people know who is likely to carry out violence, than who might have stolen a few hundred quid once (that is not to condone it, but just to give some more than one chance).

The boss seems to be somebody who has no qualms in using violence to get his own way.
 Two wrongs don't make a right - Focusless
Would the court have taken into account the thief's 'punishment' from the boss he had already experienced when deciding the thief's sentence?
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 10:31
...Would the court have taken into account the thief's 'punishment'...

Focus,

The thief was punished by way of a police caution, so he never appeared in court.

What's happened here is the boss has messed up the theft investigation by allegedly getting his mates to rough up the thief.

The police and CPS would have known that any court proceedings for theft would have turned into a right dog's breakfast because the sandwich board/roughing up would have been dragged in somehow.

A caution, in this case, looks like a convenient - and sensible - disposal.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 10:41
 Two wrongs don't make a right - Focusless
>> The thief was punished by way of a police caution, so he never appeared in
>> court.

Ah yes, sorry.

>> A caution, in this case, looks like a convenient - and sensible - disposal.

Thanks for the explanation.
 Two wrongs don't make a right - bhoywonder
>> This country is so so wrong. The boss should be given a medal.

^^You generally get a medal for doing something brave. Getting a bunch of your mates to threaten and beat up a guy and then march him down the street with a sign around his neck is generally not considered brave.

Not that I am condoning theft, of course, the guy who stole should be punished.

Give the other guy a medal when he goes out on the street and tackles some burly muggers armed with knives.^^

It was a figure of speech. I see in a few posts that people are starting to pick up on things that people have said and turned it round.

I left another site (you know the one) because of unnecessary/pathetic/stupid comments. I hope this site is not going the same way.

I will say no more on the matter.
Last edited by: bhoywonder on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 09:11
>> It was a figure of speech. I see in a few posts that people are
>> starting to pick up on things that people have said and turned it round.
>>
>> I left another site (you know the one) because of unnecessary/pathetic/stupid comments. I hope this
>> site is not going the same way.

I hope that this site is not going to go the way where politely disagreeing with what somebody said is seen as a problem, and yet calling somebody's polite comments "pathetic/stupid" is seen as OK.

I don't understand why people post on discussion forums, and then not expect that somebody might disagree with them.
Latest Forum Posts