Non-motoring > Limescale removal? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: boolean Replies: 40

Limescale removal? - boolean
Limescale has built up on our bathroom tiles and shower head, and it's a right pfd to remove. Is there a product that anyone uses to shift such stuff?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 16:07
 Limescale removal? - Mapmaker
Viakal.

Or Lidl's own-brand limescale remover.
 Limescale removal? - sherlock47
I keep a spray bottle with White vinegar in t the shower and use it on the glass regularly. Works well in the kettle as well!

Only cost effective if you buy 5L at a time.
 Limescale removal? - spamcan61
>> Viakal.
>>
>> Or Lidl's own-brand limescale remover.
>>

Agreed, or possibly WD40! as discussed here:-

groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/a0c4838823aca8fe#
 Limescale removal? - FotheringtonTomas
Wire brush and Dettol.
 Limescale removal? - Bromptonaut
For shower heads some stuff in yellow botles that comes from Robert Dyas; mostly formic acid IIRC. Dismantle heas and have a pin ready to clear any stubbrn gunk from the rose.

For tiles? Lime light.
 Limescale removal? - Stuartli
Leave the shower head in some thin bleach for a short time and use an old spray bottle for spraying the tiles with thin bleach; wash off after about half-an-hour. Also kills mould etc.

Any stubborn limescale can be removed with that intended for toilets (Harpic Power Plus or 100 Per Cent Limescale Remover), but should only be left on for a short time before being washed off as they are very powerful.

>> For shower heads some stuff in yellow botles that comes from Robert Dyas; mostly formic
>> acid IIRC.

Couldn't remember the brand when I wrote that.

Killrock
 Limescale removal? - Clk Sec
>>Limescale has built up on our bathroom tiles

If you have the time to dry the tiles after you've showered, you won't have a limescale problem to resolve.
 Limescale removal? - boolean
Thanks folks. Will report on progress.
 Limescale removal? - Iffy
Storing the shower head in a way in which water will drain back out of it will help prevent limescale.

I don't know what taps you have, but the type where the shower head sits sideways like an telephone handset are not ideal.

Better to leave the head up on its wall mount.

Limescale removal? - Perky Penguin
The appropriate type of Cillit Bang? I think there is a specific lime scale remover one.
>>Storing the shower head in a way in which water will drain back out of it will help prevent limescale.>>

I hold the shower head at the lowest point it will go and let the water out that way. Meant that even in my hard water area, buildup of limescale is over a much longer period of time.
 Limescale removal? - John H
>> I hold the shower head at the lowest point it will go and let the
>> water out that way. Meant that even in my hard water area, buildup of limescale
>> is over a much longer period of time.
>>

Have you done an experiment (to check if this is a real effect) and measured the difference in time for build up of scale by holding the shower head at the highest point?

Limescale removal? - Zero
I buy shower heads with descaling jets. Made of rubber you simply rub your finger over the jets, they flex, and the limescale flakes off internally and externally.

Seeemples. Tcchhhhhhh
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 18:17
>>Have you done an experiment (to check if this is a real effect) and measured the difference in time for build up of scale by holding the shower head at the highest point?>>

I can't believe that's a serious question.
Its a comparison to prove your theory, what's wrong with that?
>>Its a comparison to prove your theory, what's wrong with that?>>

The shower was installed 21 years ago - it's not difficult to spot any changes in a pattern of use over time.
>> I can't believe that's a serious question.
>>

It is, otherwise your theory is baloney!
 Limescale removal? - smokie
OK, let's leave that one there please. Once again John you are taking things too far - this is only a discussion on limescale, on a discussion forum on the internet. Stuart gave his thoughts based on his experience; expecting that he might have proved it scientifically is absurd.
>>Once again John you are taking things too
>> far - this is only a discussion on limescale,

You are reading too much in to it. You forgot to include Zero in your name and shame game.

>> on a discussion forum on the internet.

It is t'internet, innit?

Get over it.

I hate to miss out.

Anyway it may just be limescale to you my old mate, but its life and death to some poor sod

(stolen, with no shame, from Galton, Simpson and Hancock)
 Limescale removal? - VxFan
>> It is t'internet, innit?
>>
>> Get over it.

In which case I don't spospe you'll mind if I disable your account then?

After all, it's only a forum, innit.
>> Stuart gave his thoughts based on his experience; expecting that he might have proved
>> it scientifically is absurd.

Sorry, Smokie, but he didn't give anything based on experience. He told us what he does, fair enough, but then he drew a conclusion without having any basis upon which to draw it.

I always drink tea with milk in it. I haven't broken my leg. Therefore you should all drink tea with milk in it so as to avoid breaking your legs.

Exactly the same.
>>Sorry, Smokie, but he didn't give anything based on experience. He told us what he does, fair enough, but then he drew a conclusion without having any basis upon which to draw it.>>

Perhaps you should read my response on Friday at 18-24?
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 21 Feb 11 at 12:05
>> Perhaps you should read my response on Friday at 18-24?

I have, and it means absolutely nothing to me. I have, however, also read your earlier response expressing astonishment that - I think - anybody would expect you to have performed a comparison!
>>I have, and it means absolutely nothing to me.>>

Well I'll tell you another one. I discovered a few years ago that swilling out the electric kettle with cold water after use substantially reduced the buildup of limescale, particularly on the heating element (I live in a hard water area).

I haven't done any long term scientific analysis though, otherwise I would most certainly have let you know the results some time back.
 Limescale removal? - henry k
Citric acid crystals. Used em for decades.

BP version is safe to eat so that is a big + over ALL of those clever things.
Kettles, jugs, S/S draining boards, showers, taps, chrome basin plugs all get the treatment.
We use it to make lemonade.
The down side ? It used to be easy to buy , (also used to clean wine bottles for home brew) until it became a "cutting" agent.
Two types - BP from the chemist or non BP from a hardware store.
Boots no longer stock it and the last non BP lot I got contained quite large crystals, I guess to stop it being used for "cutting".

Limescale removal? - Focusless
Go and live in the Lake District, like my parents. Not a spot of limescale to be seen anywhere, ever. Lucky blighters.
...Go and live in the Lake District, like my parents. Not a spot of limescale to be seen anywhere, ever. Lucky blighters...

Too much mould in the showers for my liking.

Last time I used a shower in the lake district my son was conceived, not making that mistake again.
 Limescale removal? - bathtub tom
That'll teach you to leave the wife at home. ;>)
 Limescale removal? - Ted

No limescale here either...water comes from Thirlmere and Haweswater.

Pure as the driven etc.....
All appliances as clean as when new......so there !

Ted
>> That'll teach you to leave the wife at home. ;>)

Reminds me of the classic phrase by Sheriff Beaufort T Justice to his son.

"When I get home, I'm gonna smack yo Mamma in the mouth - there is no way you come from my loins"
 Limescale removal? - bhoywonder
What’s limescale!!! Come and live in Scotland we have good water. In all seriousness when we visit some parts of England I always take a kettle. It gives me the boke to see all that limescale stuck to the filament.
No wonder Hadrian built a wall.

Strange heathen people carrying electric kettles.

Limescale removal? - sherlock47
>>>Strange heathen people carrying electric kettles.<<<

Even stranger he has a lamp in it! (re his filament comment).
...Even stranger he has a lamp in it! (re his filament comment).

I'm ashamed to say I missed that. :)

>> Even stranger he has a lamp in it! (re his filament comment).
>>

Maybe like 'boke' it's a Scots usage.

Having said that my last two kettles have been 'floodlight' inside. When did that start??
...Maybe like 'boke' it's a Scots usage...

Turns out it could be English usage as well

This is definition seven of eight from an online dictionary:

"Electronics . the heating element (sometimes also acting as a cathode) of a vacuum tube, resembling the filament in an incandescent bulb."

dictionary.reference.com/browse/filament?db=dictionary

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 21 Feb 11 at 13:35
 Limescale removal? - bhoywonder

You shower of you know what ;o)

I have a special travel kettle made by Nasa. :o)
Latest Forum Posts