Non-motoring > Tabloid Priorities Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 28

Tabloid Priorities - Perky Penguin
When I went to buy my Sunday paper today, bearing mind the state of things in the Middle East and our economy, to name but a few, I was surprised to see a tabloid telling me, all over the front page, that "X factor in Meltdown as Simon and Cheryl Quit". Is this actually imprtant or news?
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Sun 20 Feb 11 at 15:24
 Tabloid Priorities - Manatee
It must be what they think people buy papers for - that one anyway.
 Tabloid Priorities - Tooslow
I always have a quick scan of the headlines as I walk towards the newspapers. I find it endlessly fascinating that, across the entire world, the most important thing to some people is what some silly woman (or occasionally man) is up to. It's no wonder some people live their lives like they're in some sort of melodrama, they are led to believe that that is "normal" or at least something to aspire to.

John
 Tabloid Priorities - Focusless
>> I find it endlessly fascinating that, across the entire world, the most important thing to
>> some people is what some silly woman (or occasionally man) is up to.

But it might not be the most important thing to them, just what they want to read about while relaxing on a Sunday morning (or whenever).
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 20 Feb 11 at 15:48
 Tabloid Priorities - Zero
Is there any way to keep Katie Price out of the headlines?
I doubt it, Diana's still there and she's been dead for a good while now.

John
 Tabloid Priorities - Robin O'Reliant
>> I doubt it, Diana's still there and she's been dead for a good while now.
>>
>> John
>>
Eh?

When did that happen? I didn't even know she was ill.
"I didn't even know she was ill."

Easily done. You probably didn't buy a paper that day. The Queen Mother's dead too. Sorry, I should perhaps have broken that more gently.

John
 Tabloid Priorities - John H
Watch the forthcoming "Jamie’s Dream School" TV series and discover how more than the "other" more than half of UK population lives.

"other" because the C4P forum members will hardly fall in to the society depicted on that show.
Ah but when you do, look at what one of the "teachers" managed to achieve. And then ask yourself how he managed it.
>> Ah but when you do, look at what one of the "teachers" managed to achieve.
>> And then ask yourself how he managed it.
>>

Yes, and it may serve as a lesson to us on here that it is pointless worrying about the nasty things going on in the big CAPITALS of the world and in the country of Jordan, and far better to enjoy your life reading about the real Jordan or Cheryl.
>> Ah but when you do, look at what one of the "teachers" managed to achieve.
>> And then ask yourself how he managed it.

Sorry to be dense Z but please could you (or anyone else) explain for the hard of understanding (me)?
>> Sorry to be dense Z but please could you (or anyone else) explain for the
>> hard of understanding (me)?
>>

Perhaps one or both of the erstwhile residents of No. 10 who are on the show.
Last edited by: John H on Sun 20 Feb 11 at 17:17

>> Sorry to be dense Z but please could you (or anyone else) explain for the
>> hard of understanding (me)?

Its a program whereby eminent well know people in life, take a job as a teacher in a pretend school to try and engage pupils who had dropped out.

All the "teachers" failed in most respects, except one.

I cant say more without ruining the program for most. I would suggest its one worthy of time and interest for most on here.
>> I cant say more without ruining the program for most. I would suggest its one
>> worthy of time and interest for most on here.

Thanks - understand now. Will try to catch it.
 Tabloid Priorities - R.P.
When is it on and where Zeddo ?
www.channel4.com/programmes/jamies-dream-school

2nd March C4.
 Tabloid Priorities - Armel Coussine
>> C4P forum members will hardly fall in to the society depicted on that show.

Quite. That Simon Schama went to a grammar school or something. We don't want oiks like that on here do we?
>> We don't want oiks
>> like that on here do we?
>>

No we don't, do we? Haberdashers belong to sweat shops working with sharp needles, not on t'internet forums where they could get hurt by sharp needlers.
 Tabloid Priorities - Iffy
Two of the boys were asked to leave the room to donate sperm samples for a science class.

Never happened when I was in the lower fifth.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358743/Channel-4-boys-told-sperm-samples-new-Jamie-Oliver-show.html
 Tabloid Priorities - sooty123
Zero, how do you know what's on the show if it has been on yet?
>> Never happened when I was in the lower fifth.

'What on earth are you playing at behind your desk lid, iffy?'

(CLIP!)

'... you wretched, miserable worm! You know perfectly well sperm donation during classes is reserved for the Upper Sixth, and the Upper Sixth only! Go to the headmaster's office now and get the shackles, the thumbscrews and the Cat! And may God have mercy on your soul. Filthy little brute.'

(CLIP!)

Oh wow.l

The Mail has published a story whipping up a frenzy over something thats not been seen yet.

Iffy - here is a question for you. Do you consider that to be good unbiased objective journalism? Considering this has been placed in the "news" section?

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 20 Feb 11 at 17:42
 Tabloid Priorities - Runfer D'Hills
A chap I was at school with who is now quite a well known industrialist and who appears regularly on the telly giving serious comment to the economy was at the time rather infamously caught "sperm donating" in a fourth form double history class. I never found those lessons quite so inspiring myself.
And are the serious comments on the economy those of a, er, sperm donor, Humph?

There was a boy in my class at La Sainte Union Convent, Bath, in 1944 or so who used to play openly with his tadger during lessons. It struck me as a bit weird and pathological. He may have been someone whose mother went about with American soldiers and who, enviably, was sometimes to be seen in jeeps chewing gum. We were about six at the time.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 20 Feb 11 at 17:53
 Tabloid Priorities - CGNorwich
The Mail has however been strangely silent on the latest Harvard in depth report on the the effects of the drug Ecstasy.

"There is no evidence that ecstasy causes brain damage, according to one of the largest studies into the effects of the drug. Too many previous studies made over-arching conclusions from insufficient data, say the scientists responsible for the research, and the drug's dangers have been greatly exaggerated."

I seem to remember the Mail whipping up national hysteria after Richard Branstrom said much the same thing a few years back.
Brundstrom, the curate's egg chief constable. Cool on drugs, rubbish on speeding.

Still, you can't have everything. Other chief constables could easily be rubbish on both. A lot of people are.
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358743/Channel-4-boys-told-sperm-samples-new-Jamie-Oliver-show.html

"A Channel 4 source insisted viewers would not see the samples being collected."

Phew! :)
 Tabloid Priorities - R.P.
Phew indeed...

Jamie Oliver a very successful man, didn't do brilliantly in school, but shone through in the end. The only programme I watched with him "starring" in it was some American version of his school food Crusade (capital ?) - he comes across as slightly condescending...maybe it's just me.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 20 Feb 11 at 19:00
Latest Forum Posts