Non-motoring > Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 45

Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - movilogo

Lately I've been checking/posting more on non-motoring than motoring section!

Half of motoring posts in today's page 1 is from yesterday's where as all posts in non-motoring are fresh.

May be we have reached saturation level for our interests in cars :o)

Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Zero
We cant afford to run them any more.

Everyone is on the dole at home arguing..
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - RattleandSmoke
I have noticed an increasing amount of posts public transport on the site in general. It might just be that we have a lot of bus drivers though!
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Armel Coussine
The fact is that half the people who think they are interested in cars aren't really, when you examine their discourse. Even here there are a number of mere car users/buyers who hate and fear the automobile and know nothing useful about it.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Iffy
Cars are essentially boring bits of metal, inanimate.

This is why the country's most popular motoring programme uses cars only as a prop for the various features.

Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Armel Coussine
See what I mean?
>> See what I mean?

Yeah, I do.

So how many on here like motoring or cars?

I have to say I do, in nearly every facet. I am even enjoying servicing my own after a 30 year tool break.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - SteelSpark
>> >> See what I mean?
>>
>> Yeah, I do.
>>
>> So how many on here like motoring or cars?

I'm reasonably interested, but certainly not fascinated and my interest probably comes more from motoring being reasonably new to me.

I came to this community initially to start asking questions about buying my first car, and also to get advice on various motoring issues (I probably ask far fewer questions than I did a year ago).

I see this forum more now as a place to have a bit of a debate about all kinds of stuff (motoring and non-motoring), and I enjoy reading all the other opinions.

I probably would only swing by infrequently if it wasn't for the non-motoring section.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Stuu
I have a huge interest in cars, lorries, buses, old stuff, new stuff, I like boats too.

I said car before any other word and my focus has never shifted.

I adore the motor trade, it feels like home and I expect ill be involved in it somehow for my whole working life.

Even cleaning cars gives me a huge sense of peace - I find people rather irritating in anything other than small amounts whereas cars just sit there and play ball when you clean them.

On a warm afternoon, I find nothing more relaxing than pottering around the car with a bottle of polish or taking a leisurely drive through the lanes.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Redviper

>> So how many on here like motoring or cars?
>>
I love cars, I love the science that is involved in making them what they are.
I have loved cars since the day I had a road play mat and rode my matchbox models over them.
I was over the moon when I was given “science of the motorcar” to do as a science project at school (and I can still remember the book that had the experiments in had a B&W Picture of a Austin Metro on)
As soon as I was old enough to apply for a licence I got one, and as soon as I could afford lessons I took them
When I was 13 I was introduced into the mechanics of a motorcar, and took a interest in how engines worked
When I was 19 I stripped out the engine of my then girlfriend’s WV Polo and replaced valve seals and piston rings
I then did the same on my MK1 Astra - all with guidance.
I took pleasure in driving, and as soon as I passed my test at the age of 18 and took my MK1 Astra to the highlands of Scotland, and right across to South West Ireland

I now don’t have the facilities to do any of my own work to car apart from clean them – however if I had my own workshop I would spend all day with a few “project” cars.

I cant afford fancy cars, however I am more than pleased with what I have got and take a lot pf pleasure in owning one.
I get involved in motorsport through marshalling and divide my time at weekends between Croft, and Cadwell Park and my work for Wenselydale Railway which I have recently joined.

Yes I like cars and railway Loco’s I certainly hope that my future children also share my interests.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Bigtee
Wenselydale Railway

A guy at work tells me he drives a class 108 if you have one there im sure it's this railway then again it may be another one in North yorks as there's a few.
Im very sure that they do have a class 108 DMU which they also use for the deisel Gala's
I only joined in January (end of) and such have only been two weekends, as ive been away in Scotland and last weekend at Croft

I really, really wish they had a Deltic (I didnt see one there when I was last there)
but if you go the NRM York they are doing one up inside the main shed which you can watch them do (however there was no activity when we where there on Saturday (but i did take some brilliant pictures which I will put up onto photobucket at some point soon
What is your role/job here and what got you into this?

Been to a few with the kids they liked the steamer that one that goes from pickering to Whitby plus got tickets for next to nowt.

NRM used to work next door where the Trans pennine shed are now, seen lots of steamers coming out on days been on foot plate of scotsman very hot up there in cab.
>> What is your role/job here and what got you into this?
>>

I havent been given a specific role as yet but I have put my name down for maintenence, track maintence, and crossing operator - I cant wait to get into them

I have a secret intrest* in all things trains and I thought it was about time I did something else with my weekends so i put my name down and thought I would give it ago

* I didnt want my partner to call me a trainspotter, however she did ;-)

>> Been to a few with the kids they liked the steamer that one that goes
>> from pickering to Whitby plus got tickets for next to nowt.

Thats on the North York Moors Railway, I would have gone there but its a bit far away for me to travel every weekend

>>
>> NRM used to work next door where the Trans pennine shed are now, seen lots
>> of steamers coming out on days been on foot plate of scotsman very hot up
>> there in cab.
>>

I would love to be in the cab of any train and even my partner enjoyed herself we are going again in a few weeks, as this saturday we where with my 3 year old neice for the Hogwarts Express experience, she thought it was brilliant
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 21 Feb 11 at 16:58
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - RattleandSmoke
I love cars and I have always been interested in them. I would never have joined a car forum otherwise.

I do have no interest in driving though and to me I just want my car to be a hassle free tool.

I am interested in cars a piece of engineering but then I am interested in all forms of transport.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Bromptonaut
But is it another symptom of the place becoming a 'club' for the regulars rather than a site that attracts visits form those seeking motoring answers??
...But is it another symptom of the place becoming a 'club' for the regulars...

A club can have more than one bar.

Offers more choice for members and guests alike.

Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Tooslow
"A club can have more than one bar."

I thought you were in The Lounge :-)

John
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - R.P.
There will be change soon, whereby more will hopefully be attracted.....we (all of the people here) knew that this was a temporary room opened up when the other one burnt down - your patience will be rewarded soon !
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Bellboy
free spogs?
Read that on Wikileaks ?
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Stuu
Let me guess, one day you will come here and there will be a message reading ' Back in two months ' :-)
No - the new site will be fully tested before it's public launch - we've been on the learning curve already.
... Back in two months ' :-)...

Or the licensee's cleared off with all the beer and last night's takings.

>> "A club can have more than one bar."
>>
>> I thought you were in The Lounge :-)

BBD is in the bog. Not sure if he is seeing to the barmaid, chasing a line, or washing his hands.
...chasing a line...

He'd probably get better reception outside, I usually do.

Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - BiggerBadderDave
All three, in reverse order.
If it wasn't for "iffy" he keeps this place going, The other day was 4x posts in one day not bad going.

Should be a mod if not already.
I think yesterday I was accused of having a wooden spoon. I'm not alone I see. :-)

John
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Clk Sec
>>yesterday I was accused of having a wooden spoon.

No, no, no, John, you were Offered a wooden spoon.
:-)

Sorry CLK, I have been known to be a bit slow on the uptake on the odd occasion.

John
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Clk Sec
We have much in common, then.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - spamcan61
>>
>> Everyone is on the dole at home arguing..
>>
Oi! I resemble that remark.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - FotheringtonTomas
It's a sort of club formed of people with a vague interest in motoring and a tendency to drivel.
Sorry FT, mis-read that - again! I thought you typed "dribble". :-)

John
I suppose it was natural for the non-motoring side to develop. I have to say I feel as if I "know" members a lot better thanks to this section - it provides a far better snapshot of an individual than just talking motors. BBD is a fine example of that !
...I have to say I feel as if I "know" members a lot better thanks to this section - it provides a far better snapshot of an individual than just talking motors...

People are for more interesting than places or things.

That's why 90 per cent of the stories in the tabloids are about people, the papers are packed with faces.

Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - madf
>> That's why 90 per cent of the stories in the tabloids are about people, the
>> papers are packed with faces.
>>
>>
>>
>>

Hmm figures more than faces.. See the Daily Wail..
.... See the Daily Mail...

Funny how some people seem to find success so threatening.

It's just a newspaper.

Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - nyx2k
ive been on this site since the other one wnet into meltdown and i only discovered this non motoring section a short while ago. id click on my link which would take me to motor discussion and if nothing new i'd pass through.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Pat
Now you know what you've been missing:)

Pat
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - nyx2k
your right pat, it's nice to have a chat a few times a day.
i spend a fair few hours on the pc doing research or on the phone.
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Robin O'Reliant
I belong to a couple of cycling forums and the non-cycling sections are much busier than those relating to the sport. As much as one might be interested in the subject which is the purpose of the forum a general discussions board just has so many more topics over which one can chew the fat.
>> I belong to a couple of cycling forums and the non-cycling sections are much busier
>> than those relating to the sport.

YOu know, I am not completely surprised. How many ways can you discuss spokes and tight shorts?

Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - Bromptonaut
>> YOu know, I am not completely surprised. How many ways can you discuss spokes and
>> tight shorts?

In a way you're right Zeddo but there are in infinite number of 'close pass' helmet camera videos just waiting to be linked. A handful are heart stopping but most just need to man up a bit!!
 Non motoring section is becoming more interesting! - MD
My Drive?
Latest Forum Posts