Non-motoring > The Sky's the limit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 27

The Sky's the limit - Iffy
I've been using the landline in Iffy Towers a bit more recently, so decided it was time to look at the tariff.

Calls are with Sky, rental with BT.

Cutting a short story short, Sky offered me half-price television subscription for six months if I put the lot with them.

The result is I'm paying £49.75 for six months for Sky+ all channels, line rental, unlimited broadband and more or less unlimited calls.

Full price will be £76.25.

I'd heard Sky will discount if you ring up and grumble.

I barely did that, just asked them to knock a bit off.

The moral of the story is it's worth a phone call.

Anyone else done the same?

The Sky's the limit - Zero
£912 a year? just for tele and telecoms?

£915 actually - if I ever pay the full price.

Under £50 a month until August/September.

I've also heard stories of the Sky forgetting to put the customer back up to full price.
 The Sky's the limit - CGNorwich
So what are you getting for that money? Freeview plus TalkTalk package give me all the TV I need plus Broadband and unlimited world wide calls for around £330 per year.

Sky seems very dear unless you like football.
Yup same here

Phone rental, Phone calls, up to 20meg BB, Freesat and Freeview, for a third of the cost that Iffy has signed up for.
 The Sky's the limit - Focusless
>> Full price will be £76.25.

Sorry Iffy - is that the full price per month after the 6 months is up?
...Sorry Iffy - is that the full price per month after the 6 months is up?...

It is.

Under £50 on the offer for six months.

As I say above, there's no guarantee it will go back to full price.
Well good for you (that's meant in a nice way). Our O2 package has recently gone up from £19.50 to £20, but I don't think there's much room for haggling, or at least not until the initial 1 year contract runs out and I can at least threaten to go elsewhere.
...Well good for you...

Thanks, I know it's a topic you take a vague interest in.

There are lots of stories going around about what you can screw out of Sky.

A pal of mine, who I believe, said he got half-price for six months and an upgrade to high definition.

I'm not convinced about HD, so didn't push for that.

On the Sky website you can look at a running total of your calls during the month.

Thought that was quite neat, although I'll probably never use it.
>> Thanks, I know it's a topic you take a vague interest in.

"vague interest" = "envy" :)
I cant believe you are going to be paying nearly a grand a year, and think its good value.
 The Sky's the limit - Stuartli
I pay TalkTalk £11.31 a month for unlimited AnyTime UK calls (excludes 0870 etc types), unlimited AnyTime International calls to 36 different countries including Europe, US, Canada, NZ and Australia and "Up to 24Mb" broadband. Original cost back in April 2006 was £9.99.

The BT line rental is also now paid to TalkTalk and is £12.30. A full present and past bills summary, including itemised phone calls details, is provided free on its website.

My TV viewing including Freeview HD and Freesat HD transmissions is, as the names suggest, free, although a BT Sky package is available, although not wanted, on a couple of Freeview channels.

As for Sky itself, if I ever want to watch a particular match or programme, I just nip to my club and enjoy it over a pint...:-)

Saved me a considerable amount of money over the past few years.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 22 Feb 11 at 10:32
 The Sky's the limit - VxFan
>> As I say above, there's no guarantee it will go back to full price.

I can imagine what you'll post in 6 months time.

"can pay, won't pay" ;o)
 The Sky's the limit - Tooslow
When you said " I'm paying £49.75 for six months " I thought that was pretty good. Then I read on and discovered that you're paying £49.75 per month for 6 months!

There's a beggng letter in the post.

John
 The Sky's the limit - Stuu
The Sky department that does the business is the cancellation one. When our old box packed up, I said I didnt fancy buying a new one for a few hundred, so I said put me through to cancellations and suddenly I would get a SKY+ box for free.

My nan wants one too - I think she may be 'leaving' soon too.

My SKY alone costs £42 a month, so thats £7 a month for the phone Im guessing or thereabouts?
 The Sky's the limit - mikeyb
Stu - they tell you its cancellations, but the actual dept. is customer retention - they are there just to get you to stay.

I just had a grumble at sky and managed to get the movie channels half price for 6 months and multiroom for a couple of quid extra a month - keeps the kids happy. They were more than happy to cut more of a deal if I moved my phone line to them, but I already have a cheaper deal with orange - 16.50 a month for line rental, off peak calls, and 8mb unlimited BB. Been with orange for about 4 years now and never had any problems.
 The Sky's the limit - mikeyb
Forgot to add that the best deals are for returning customers - my mate has 12 months with virgin media and then goes back to sky. This time he got the full works from sky for half price for 12 months
 The Sky's the limit - nyx2k
bt discount aswell.
my unlimited internet and unlimited calls with line hire should be 45 a month but i haggled with them and got it all for 30 a month for 18 months fixed.
i then phoned sky and enquried about the hd package and they gave me a free box and free hd package for 12 months and my overall payment is £20 a month for sky channels in hd and normal.
 The Sky's the limit - smokie
I think I pay £64 a month for 30mb broadband, phone, 3 v+ boxes on XL services, one regular cable box and a VM TiVo cable box. The cable box will be going soon, bringing it down by £5.

Way too much equipment and way too much money but you're only young once :-)
Way too much equipment and way too much money but you're only young once :-)

my thoughts aswell
i have 3 children using the phones and using internet all the time and i dont have to worry about the bill.
i also have sky+hd in the lounge and sky in all the bedrooms and the kids den room.
 The Sky's the limit - Stuartli
>>i have 3 children using the phones and using internet all the time and i dont have to worry about the bill. i also have sky+hd in the lounge and sky in all the bedrooms and the kids den room.>>

Don't you perhaps think you and the family should get out more? ...:-))
the funny thing is i thinks its me who has over odered these things because the lounge sky is used for about an hr at night and the childrens ones are used between 7.30 and 9.00pm.
the phone is used all day every day sometimes for hrs at a time for my work and the children have friends in a lot of citys and other countiries and i can remember my parents saying i couldnt use the phone because of the cost so id hate to be like that myself.
with out the free calls it would be about £450 a qaurter for the phone line alone.
nyx + Smokie,

Nice to have people in the thread who enjoy spending a few quid, rather than one or two of the early posters who sought only to criticise my decision making.

I like watching the football and movies on Sky.

The price is £60 or so a month, less any discount you can get out of them.

No point in moaning about it.

Didnt criticise your expenditure, just the idea you thought it was good value.
...Didnt criticise your expenditure, just the idea you thought it was good value...

I didn't mention value, good or otherwise.

The point of the OP was how easy it was to get £26.50 a month knocked off.

My experience, and that of a few other posters, might encourage other Sky users to see if they can get a reduction.

I'ma all for that, cut their income down I say.

In fact, pay nothing, get it for free.
 The Sky's the limit - CGNorwich
I said. "Sky seems very dear unless you like football." You obviousy like football.
i think now that a lot of companies will discount to get the business.
Latest Forum Posts