Non-motoring > New Zealand Quake Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 8

New Zealand Quake - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12533291

A biggie by all accounts, centre on a populated area.

Dont we have some members down there?
 New Zealand Quake - Focusless
There's NickinNZ, last posted Saturday.
 New Zealand Quake - R.P.
I was about to mention him -I'll drop him an e-mail.
 New Zealand Quake - Armel Coussine
Yeah, my sister's house in Purau badly damaged. We stayed there a couple of years ago. Overlooks a bay or sound in which dolphins can often be seen sporting about.

My niece's house also badly damaged, as it was last time (chimney fell down or something). No one hurt though, alhamdulillah!
 New Zealand Quake - PeteW
Have family in South Brighton (Christchurch). Waiting to hear from them. They've just completed rebuilding from last Septembers quake.....
 New Zealand Quake - R.P.
Sent Nick an e-mail. Looks awful from the news reports.
 New Zealand Quake - R.P.
Nick's safe and well - just had a reply.
 New Zealand Quake - PeteW
'Luckily' they were still staying with friends upstate so are safe and well, but it looks like the rebuild will need doing again. And doubtful whether insurance will pay for a second time?
 New Zealand Quake - corax
Apparently they thought that Christchurch was safe. Although the epicentre was milder than the last one, the rocks above it, and the ones that Christchurch sit on, are relatively loose, so they move more than a layer of solid rock.

I fail to see how anywhere that sits on two fault lines is going to be safe - especially in a country where there are bubbling mud pools and sulphurous gases drifting through the air.

Talking of plate movement, the area around Bardabunga is showing signs of increased
activity :

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/8311924/Icelandic-volcano-set-to-erupt.html

It'll probably blow just as everyone wants to jet off on their holidays. Pray that the winds are in the right direction.
Latest Forum Posts