Non-motoring > Pentax K100D Buying / Selling
Thread Author: gramar Replies: 36

Pentax K100D - gramar
I've just bought a DSLR, the Pentax K100D. Does anyone know if I can use a SDHC card instead of a SD card? I've read that they are OK provided the capacity exceeds 2GB however there is no information in the manual to confirm this.

I've also bought some Sanyo rechargeable eneloop batteries for it. Can I recharge them safely on my ''Energiser" brand battery charger or is it better to get a dedicated Sanyo charger?
 Pentax K100D - Zero
You will need SDHC if you want more than a 2gb card, and you want a fast card if you dont want to be waiting between shots.

Yes any charger will do you dont need a sanyo charger.
 Pentax K100D - Slidingpillar
Sanyo enloop are just better NiMH cells. Any charger for NiMH or set to them if a charger for more than one type of cell, ie the older NiCad ones as well.
 Pentax K100D - R.P.
Don't do what they guy working for me did - he put standard Duracells into a charger.....Nearly burnt the place down....!
 Pentax K100D - Hard Cheese

Seems that the K100D Super is SDHC compatible though the standard K100d is not. Googling suggests that a firmware update may enable SDHC compatibility.

I use multiple 2GB cards currently, I dont like having hundreds of images on one card.

Pentax K100D - Zero
Is it an old camera? I thought SDHC had been a basic feature for a a year or three on cameras
 Pentax K100D - spamcan61
>> Is it an old camera? I thought SDHC had been a basic feature for a
>> a year or three on cameras
>>
4-5 years old, about the time of the transition from SD to SDHC.
 Pentax K100D - Bromptonaut
That reminds me PU, what happened to rechargeable alkalines?

Maplin sold them for a while, branded as 'Pure Energy' and I think Varta or Ray o Vac had a similar product. Each set good for about 50 charges. As they ran at a nominal 1.5V they'd power my Sony 7600G which refuses to work the 1.25V nimh rechargeables.

Disappeared from the shops about 5 yrs ago.
 Pentax K100D - Zero
The shop burned down
 Pentax K100D - bathtub tom
>> Don't do what they guy working for me did - he put standard Duracells into
>> a charger.....Nearly burnt the place down....!

SIL complained her cordless 'phones didn't work as well as they used to. I found all the batteries had been replaced with lead/acid (dry LeClancnche) cells and one appeared to have been dunked in coffee.

Replaced them all with NiMH, as I didn't know what charging the base stations had.
 Pentax K100D - Stuartli
>>Sanyo enloop are just better NiMH cells>>

I'm assured that these batteries actually hold the charge, whereas other NiMH batteries lose about one per cent of their charge daily even when not in use.
 Pentax K100D - spamcan61
>> >>Sanyo enloop are just better NiMH cells>>
>>
>> I'm assured that these batteries actually hold the charge, whereas other NiMH batteries lose about
>> one per cent of their charge daily even when not in use.
>>

Yes, Eneloops and their equivalane hybrids are LSD (low self discharge) NiMHs, they are basically the same chemistry as 'normal' NiMH, but using purer chemicals.
 Pentax K100D - spamcan61
>> I've just bought a DSLR, the Pentax K100D. Does anyone know if I can use
>> a SDHC card instead of a SD card? I've read that they are OK provided
>> the capacity exceeds 2GB however there is no information in the manual to confirm this.
>>
Yes you can use SDHC cards in the K100D, see spec list here (near the bottom):-

www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK100D/page2.asp

No idea how big though, although they're under a quid a gig these days so not expensive to experiment.

EDIT: provided it has firmware v1.01 or later, in view of Cheddar's comment.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 22 Feb 11 at 21:48
 Pentax K100D - rtj70
For my camera I have some 8Gb and 16Gb SDHC cards but that much data on one card makes one a little nervous. But the camera also does HD video so they need to be quite big. Only done one holiday with the camera so far though.

If dpreview says it works with SDHC cards providing firmware up to date I'd believe them.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 22 Feb 11 at 21:53
 Pentax K100D - Zero
I use 4gb cards.

Large enough to fit some pics and video, and not too large that access times go up or you loose all your piccies.
 Pentax K100D - rtj70
When/if I get a VW in Dec, the 16Gb card will go in that ;-)
 Pentax K100D - R.P.
What it can take pictures ? :-)
 Pentax K100D - Zero
Can you control it with your Iphone tho.
 Pentax K100D - R.P.
I can control my X1 with mine - heating variables - locking etc..
 Pentax K100D - Zero
>> I can control my X1 with mine - heating variables - locking etc..

I can control my lancer with mine.

I phone the wife, I tell her to unlock it, I die.
 Pentax K100D - rtj70
>> Can you control it with your Iphone tho.

No because:

(1) VWs don't have that feature like BMWs
(2) I have an Android phone ;-)

I am thinking of getting a camera for the VW though - a reversing camera ;-) Don't think it needs SD cards though.
 Pentax K100D - R.P.
I want one now !
 Pentax K100D - Manatee
I'm pretty certain (if that's possible) that there is a firmware update that will enable SDHC compatibility for the K100D. I have the earlier ist*DL2 which I have been using tonight with a 4GB SDHC card to photograph the village panto, and I upgraded the firmware on that - SDHC wasn't out when I bought it. You'll find the firmware on the Pentax support site.

Follow the instructions carefully - if the update is interrupted you will need to send it to a service centre to unscramble. Basically make sure it has fully charged batteries in, and don't turn it off until it's finished. If you think it's "stuck" don't panic - just wait until it says it's done.

I think it's a good camera - the similarly sensored DL2 6Mp is surprisingly good, even compared with a K-r which I have just sent back (focus problem) and replaced with the earlier K-x (great value on the run out).

P.S. - to check what firmware version you have, hold down the menu button and turn it on.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 00:10
 Pentax K100D - gramar
Thank you to everyone who has replied - I'm now reassured. Manatee in particular many thanks.

With your knowledge I've found the update. Can I ask you to confirm the following.

If my camera has not had any update can I go straight to the 1.02 update or do I have to load 1.01 as well? and, do I just download the file/s plug my camera with a blank, fomatted SD card into the USB port on my computer and the where do I follow the update process? does it show what's happening on the camera screen or on the copmuter and finally how long does the download take running the camera on brand new rechargeables
 Pentax K100D - Manatee
Yes you can go straight to 1.02 if your camera is showing it has 1.0. You don't need to connect the camera to the computer if you have a card reader. The only reason to connect the camera would be to copy the file on to the card. The update is done from the card, in the camera. You must format the card. Do that via the computer to be sure, and check there are no sub-directories or files on it so you know it's done.

You'll need to download and run the file. It will create (extract) another 'bin' file and a readme.txt file which has all the instructions in it. Use that rather than my instructions from memory. Basically all you need to do I think is copy the bin file on to the blank, formatted card, (it must be in the root directory) make sure you have good batteries in the camera, put the card in, and switch the camera on.

The camera screen will show progress, probably with a bar. If it stops for a while don't panic. It shouldn't take long overall, no more than 3 or 4 minutes I'd guess, and it will tell you when it's done. The main thing is to follow the instructions and don't interrupt it while it's doing the update.
 Pentax K100D - Manatee
Had a bit more time to look this up. Look here -

www.pentaximaging.com/support/manuals-and-literature/

where it's easy to find the firmware files.

When you do the update, you'll need to switch on with the menu button held down. You'll then have to select YES, or NO cancel the update.

When you've finished, reformat the card before you use it.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 10:38
 Pentax K100D - gramar
Manatee

Help!!

I've followed what you've said. I 've found the 1.02 update, printed out and followed the Pentax instructions, formatted a blank SD CARD, downloaded the files and dragged the FWDC156B.BIN file onto my desktop.

Next I placed my formatted SD card into a USB card reader and plugged it in to the computer. I then followed the instructions and dragged the file on to what I thought was the root level (DCIM) and I watched a little window appear and a blue indicator fill up moving the file across or so I thought. I right clicked on the DCIM file and it showed 4.25 Mb so all seemed well. I then put the card in the camera. Held the menu button down and switched on but no 'NOW LOADING' message just confirmation I've only got version 1.0. I've tried this several times tonight with the same result.

On checking the card afterwards it's blank each time. What happened to the 4.25 Mb download?

By the way I'm used a brand new 128MB SD CARD

I can only think I 'm not finding the root level - where is it? - do you have any suggestions please?

Pentax K100D - Stuartli
Have you read the Readme.txt information first (I presume you are using this link):

www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/20060808e.html

and also chosen the correct file for your OS?

By the way a 128MB SD card is almost miniscule these days....

PS

Best to format memory cards in the camera itself.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 23:11
 Pentax K100D - Manatee
Best not to format the card in the camera. I haven't checked but I think the camera probably creates the DCIM directory, where it stores the picture files, when you do that,

You have not put the file in the root directory of the card.

DCIM is a folder (directory) that the camera puts there. You can't have formatted the card in the computer, or it wouldn't be there.

Connect your card reader to the computer

Insert card into reader

Browse to the card in 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer'. Make sure you are looking at the right drive letter.

Format the card by right clicking and selecting 'format'.

Now when you look at the card in My Computer you should see no folders at all. That's the root directory. If the drive letter is E for example, it's E: not E:DCIM.

Now copy (drag) your bin file to the card - drag to the drive letter, not any folder - there shouldn't be a folder now.

NOW put card in camera, and switch on while holding down Menu button.

Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 23:32
 Pentax K100D - Stuartli
I have two digital cameras, a Minolta E203 and a Nikon D90 - both manuals state to format in the camera, with the Nikon version in particular stating this should be done after any memory card has been used in other devices.
 Pentax K100D - rtj70
There is talking at cross purposes here. For taking photos etc then yes it is better to format in camera. Here we're talking flash upgrading firmware. And the card is going to be format FAT32 anyway so it's not an issue either way.
 Pentax K100D - Manatee
OK. I've just formatted an SD card in my K-x, and it puts a DCIM folder on the card even if there isn't one there to start with. That is not what I call formatted.

I haven't a Minolta or a Nikon, I have 2 Pentaxes, one a K-x I acquired a couple of weeks ago.

As it happens, my K-x was on 1.0, with 1.02 available, so I've just updated it now.

I formatted the card in the computer (built in card reader),
dragged on the bin file (having run the exe file to extract it),
put new batteries in camera just in case,
put card in,
switched on with Menu button pressed, s
elected YES for the update,
and it is now on 1.02.

So formatting in the computer works fine. And doesn't create a bin folder to confuse the issue.
 Pentax K100D - Hard Cheese

>>That is not what I call formatted.>>

Though when you put it in the camera and turn it on it will create such a folder.

Pentax K100D - gramar
Manatee,

Once again thank you very much. I've followed your advice and this time formatted the card in the computer and hey presto download succesful. Camera can now accept SDHC cards.
Last edited by: gramar on Sat 26 Feb 11 at 17:04
 Pentax K100D - Manatee
Pleasure. I'd reformat the card you used if you plan to use it again. Hope the camera is a success.
 Pentax K100D - Stuartli
Just for interest. I've been checking out any current updates for my Nikon D90 and the only one seems to be a distortion control type.

Doesn't interest me but, although the instructions to install the update are similar to the Pentax in question, it quite specifically states that prior to the download and installation procedure, the memory card should be formatted in the camera.

When finished you have to format the card again before use.
 Pentax K100D - Manatee
>>it quite specifically states that prior to the download and installation procedure, the memory card should be formatted in the camera.

That works fine in the Pentaxes as well, though I don't think they specify where to format the card. The reason I advised gramar to format in the PC was because (a) I know it works, and (b) it doesn't leave the DCIM folder around to confuse the issue when you copy the firmware file to the card (which it already had done).
Latest Forum Posts