Non-motoring > A kinky hose Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 16

A kinky hose - Iffy
I've just pressure-washed the back yard for the first time in two or three years.

Job went OK, apart from getting a few kinks in the garden hose.

Every time I use it, a kink or two appears as if from nowhere.

It's a basic green hose on a reel, and is not pleasant to use in other respects.

Even when it's not kinking it is difficult to handle because it doesn't flex nicely.

Rewinding in particular is hard work

Is there such a thing as a flexible, kink resistant hose?

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 14:43
 A kinky hose - Perky Penguin
There are some a bit like telephone handset cords but how about one of these?

www.hozelock.com/watering/hoses/anti-kink.html

or here is a coiled one

www.iosss.com/shopping/review.asp?prod=1680
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 14:48
 A kinky hose - crocks
The yellow hoses are usually better but the best Hozelock quality is also green to confuse people.
I would suggest a trip to B&Q or a garden centre to compare what they have.

I have some Screwfix yellow stuff which is so much better than the basic green stuff and at £14 for 30m is good value.
www.screwfix.com/prods/17050/Landscaping-Outdoor/Watering-Irrigation/Hoses-Fittings/Hoses/Yellow-Hose-1-2in-30m
 A kinky hose - Iffy
Thanks for the replies so far.

I would rather the hose rolled up when not in use, which rules out a coil.

The roll from Screwfix looks a better spec than what I have, and is reasonably priced.

I wouldn't have thought of Screwfix for a hose.

A kinky hose - Mike Hannon
In my bitter experience the 'telephone cable' coiled stuff is much worse than ordinary hose. It stretches fine for about the first three uses, after that it is a nightmare.
 A kinky hose - Bellboy
>> In my bitter experience the 'telephone cable' coiled stuff is much worse than ordinary hose.
>> It stretches fine for about the first three uses, after that it is a nightmare.
>>
suggest you mount it on an old broom when not used
this reconfigure ates it for next time (mine wore out)
used one for the last 5 years been very happy with it but converted back to normal hose on a wheel this last month ,it does kink every so often but is wickes quality
 A kinky hose - kb
www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Auto-Rewind-Hose-Reel/dp/B000PBUF5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298474704&sr=8-1

Absolutely superb. Have one at the back for the garden and was so impressed got another for inside the garage to wash the car with. Cheap too from Amazon.
 A kinky hose - smokie
+1 for kb, I got the same Hozelock last year for under £40 on Amazon and it is really good quality and does what it says on the tin - i.e. auto-rewinds - which is a good feature.
 A kinky hose - Ted

I've got that Hozelock 20 type, I think. It's geen and you can see a sort of re-inforcing in it. It doesn't tend to kink. I just hava a long length of it coiled up on a big red hook out of sight near the garage.....I don't know why, I never use it although the patio looks as though it might need a pressure wash this year !

I carry a spare 20ft in the caravan so I can fill the flush up if we're away from home.

A friend had a coiled hose and found it was nearly pulling her over backwards at full stretch !

Ted

forgot, It does get used to water the pots and tubs in Summer.
 A kinky hose - R.P.
According to "Invisible Hand" software recommended on here a few months ago - Amazon has the best price as well.
 A kinky hose - Stuu
I use Hozelock yellow hose for work. Doesnt kink unless you force it, lasts for years even with abuse.
 A kinky hose - bathtub tom
I bought a yellow hose and reel from our favourite store - Lidl, many years ago. The hose is fine, although going white on the top layer. The reel was crap.
 A kinky hose - -
Find some local suppliers of hydraulic and air line hose, ask them for a price for a roll of half inch (internal) low pressure clear air line, it'll be about twice the price of the carp garden hose normally sold at the usual places, it's well over twice as heavy grade with crossed reinforcement.

It'll likely outlast you, and as it's rated for IIRC 100psi constant use it won't spring any leaks.
 A kinky hose - -
www.airlines-pneumatics.co.uk/webcat/Detprod.asp?ProductCode=S080009
www.airlines-pneumatics.co.uk/webcat/Detprod.asp?ProductCode=S080009

This is the sort of hose i mean, not suggesting to buy from these, jsu an example.

I send SWM in to negotiate, they give her best price to get rid of her.:-)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 23 Feb 11 at 20:40
 A kinky hose - Cliff Pope
The temperature makes a big difference. Be very carefull coiling a hose on a warm day as any kinks tend to become permanent.
 A kinky hose - Ted

I use a very similar hose for my compressor, GB. I find it does have a memory if left too long coiled up and is quite stiff to straighten out.

Indestructable, though. Doesn't kink.

Ted
 A kinky hose - henry k
Hose reel ? Hasel reel MKII.
haseldenenterprise.co.uk/
The only hose reel I have ever used but if you ask the price you cannot afford it :-)
www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/hr1h40/hasel-cast-alloy-hose-reel/
The downside is the maker says " pull the hose when rewinding and do NOT use just the handle when winding in.
P.S I have a hub and brackets for a MkI that will go on ebay.

Hose ? Gardena. The SkinTech hose is the one I have
www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/pages/category/category.asp?ctgry=GSWATER_HOSESTOR&cookie%5Ftest=1
www.worldofgardena.co.uk/Original_System/Hoses.
Same applies re prices.
P.S I have a 5/8" hose haedly used for sale as SWMBO complains this larger hose is too heavy for her.
Latest Forum Posts